Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php file

Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php
file?

I have a client side javascript code stored in a .js file which is included
into a PHP file using
<script src="filename.js></script>

This code initialises a Javascript variable
var u="string";

The string is supposed to be the value of $HTTP_HOST

So, when initialise this variable like

var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>;

I sterted getting a javascript message Syntax Error

Am I doing something wrong, or PHP variables are not seen in included js
files?

0
aa8030 (76)

aa wrote:

> Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php
> file?
>
> I have a client side javascript code stored in a .js file which is included
> into a PHP file using
> <script src="filename.js></script>
>
> This code initialises a Javascript variable
> var u="string";
>
> The string is supposed to be the value of $HTTP_HOST
>
> So, when initialise this variable like
>
> var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>;
>
> I sterted getting a javascript message Syntax Error
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or PHP variables are not seen in included js
> files?

js files are not parsed for PHP code unless you specifically tell the
webserver to do so. Therefore, "var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>;" in the .js
will error since the browser doesn't know what to do.

--
Justin Koivisto - spam@koivi.com
http://www.koivi.com

AddType application/x-httpd-php .js

Kelvin

"aa" <aa@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php
> file?
>
> I have a client side javascript code stored in a .js file which is
> included
> into a PHP file using
> <script src="filename.js></script>
>
> This code initialises a Javascript variable
> var u="string";
>
> The string is supposed to be the value of $HTTP_HOST
>
> So, when initialise this variable like
>
> var u=<? echo $HTTP_HOST;?>;
>
> I sterted getting a javascript message Syntax Error
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or PHP variables are not seen in included js
> files?

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.

aa8030 (76)
10/6/2004 5:04:02 PM
Kelvin Mackay <no.kelvin.sp.mackay.am@remove.nospam.parts.gmail.com> wrote:
> You need to modify your web server configuration so that .js files are
> parsed by PHP.
> For Apache, use something like the following:
>
> AddType application/x-httpd-php .js

Why not simply point the src to a php file, that way php isnt executed
for every other static js file. Just don't forget to set the correct
mimetype (application/x-javascript).

BTW TOFU is bad practice.

--

  Daniel Tryba

At the extreme risk of going way off topic...

I believe that TOFU actually makes much more sense.

When you convince google-groups to preview the BOTTOM 30 lines of a
message, I'll switch over..

I find it hard to understand how anyone who uses a modern, message
threading news reader can tolerate bottom postings...  I'm sure someone
will let me know.. :-)

Daniel Tryba <news_comp.lang.php@canopus.nl> wrote in

> Kelvin Mackay <no.kelvin.sp.mackay.am@remove.nospam.parts.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> You need to modify your web server configuration so that .js files
>> are parsed by PHP.
>> For Apache, use something like the following:
>>
>> AddType application/x-httpd-php .js
>
> Why not simply point the src to a php file, that way php isnt executed
> for every other static js file. Just don't forget to set the correct
> mimetype (application/x-javascript).
>
> BTW TOFU is bad practice.

0
nomail14 (464)
10/6/2004 8:53:12 PM
Ehtor wrote:

> At the extreme risk of going way off topic...
>
> I believe that TOFU actually makes much more sense.
>
> When you convince google-groups to preview the BOTTOM 30 lines of a
> message, I'll switch over..

The fact that some people don't know how to snip when using the correct
form of posting doesn't justify you using an incorrect form.

Brian
0
first.last3 (701)
10/6/2004 9:51:51 PM
Ehtor <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
> At the extreme risk of going way off topic...
>
> I believe that TOFU actually makes much more sense.
>
> When you convince google-groups to preview the BOTTOM 30 lines of a
> message, I'll switch over..

30 lines under a full overquote is just as bad (at least), if you write
a posting you should take the time to make a readable posting, it should
be short and summarize for readability (just in case some messages don't
make it or get delivered out of order). TOFU or bottom posting are for
lazy people who write for themselves.

> I find it hard to understand how anyone who uses a modern, message
> threading news reader can tolerate bottom postings...  I'm sure
> someone will let me know.. :-)

So whats the reason for the full underquote? Modern threaded readers
make it easy for the user to get the full message if they want it to!
TOFU makes no sense in this case, so just don't resend the same old
article so people don't have to scan in just in case there is something
added.

--

  Daniel Tryba

 .oO(Ehtor)

>I find it hard to understand how anyone who uses a modern, message
>threading news reader can tolerate bottom postings...

Saves time, because you don't have to endlessly scroll down or look up
in another posting what the author is referring to.

>I'm sure someone
>will let me know.. :-)

The usual (and for many people most readable) way is:

>question

answer

>question

answer

Like in any other discussion. Or do you wait until you got 5 questions
and then answer them all at once? If yes - how would you do this? Always
say something like "And now to your question about this and that"? Why
not simply answer/comment one question at a time?

Another thing that people writing top postings (BTW: what's TOFU in
English? I only know it in German ... *g*) seem to forget is the length
of the posting. With just adding an answer on top of another posting the
articles get longer and longer, hundreds of lines for just a handful of
new text. This wastes bandwidth and space on hundreds of newsservers.

Micha
0
netizen9733 (527)
10/7/2004 2:01:23 AM
"aa" <aa@virgin.net> wrote:

>Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php
>file?
>
>I have a client side javascript code stored in a .js file which is included
>into a PHP file using
><script src="filename.js></script>

You need to think about which side (client/server) is doing what.  PHP is
running on the server.  As far as PHP knows, that <script> tag is just
another HTML tag.  It's just a string of text to be sent to the client.

By the time the client browser sees this tag, PHP is all done.  The browser
makes another, separate request to the server to fetch the URL
"filename.js".  PHP is not involved in that transaction at all -- it's just
a simple fetch.

If you really need to so substitution in your .js file, then you need to
have it included in the PHP source, using something like this:

  <script>
  <? require( "filename.js" ); ?>
  </script>

That way, PHP will interpret the contents of the file and do substitutions.

>Am I doing something wrong, or PHP variables are not seen in included js
>files?

PHP variables can only be seen in files that are processed by PHP.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Regarding setting the correct  mimetype (application/x-javascript) - where
do I set it?

"Daniel Tryba" <news_comp.lang.php@canopus.nl> wrote in message
> Kelvin Mackay <no.kelvin.sp.mackay.am@remove.nospam.parts.gmail.com>
wrote:
> > You need to modify your web server configuration so that .js files are
> > parsed by PHP.
> > For Apache, use something like the following:
> >
> > AddType application/x-httpd-php .js
>
> Why not simply point the src to a php file, that way php isnt executed
> for every other static js file. Just don't forget to set the correct
> mimetype (application/x-javascript).
>
> BTW TOFU is bad practice.
>
> --
>
>   Daniel Tryba

0
aa8030 (76)

aa8030 (76)
10/7/2004 8:34:34 AM
"BTW TOFU is bad practice."

I don't care if the reply it typed at the top or at the bottom as long as it
is a non-bullshit reply.

I personally do not like scrolling down prevuious posting to get the reply
(I now suspect that the expression "to get to the bottom of something"
meaning to understand somethiong through hard labour, originated from
reading such threads :-) ).

But I do not feel like imposing my preferences on others and only call upon
the other not to raise similar discussions as they indeed clog the group.

Thenky everybody who replied both at the top and at the bottom.

> Kelvin Mackay <no.kelvin.sp.mackay.am@remove.nospam.parts.gmail.com>
wrote:
> > You need to modify your web server configuration so that .js files are
> > parsed by PHP.
> > For Apache, use something like the following:
> >
> > AddType application/x-httpd-php .js
>
> Why not simply point the src to a php file, that way php isnt executed
> for every other static js file. Just don't forget to set the correct
> mimetype (application/x-javascript).
>
> BTW TOFU is bad practice.
>
> --
>
>   Daniel Tryba

0
aa8030 (76)
10/7/2004 8:45:17 AM
Just one clarification, Tim

I thought that PHP first performs all include() and require()  and only then
execute whateever is found incide <? ?> including substitutions. That is why
a variable declared in one included file is seen from the other included
file.

However by that token the code
<?
$fn="filename";
include ($fn);
?>
should not work because
include ($fn);
should be done BEFORE executing $fn="filename";

This is the case with ASP's #include directive
But it works in PHP which means that PHP execute PHP code on the hosting
page in the order it is written, adding included external files as it goes
and executing PHP on the included files as it goes through them.
Is that how it works?

0
aa8030 (76)
10/7/2004 12:28:11 PM
"aa" <aa@virgin.net> wrote:

>Just one clarification, Tim
>
>I thought that PHP first performs all include() and require()  and only then
>execute whateever is found incide <? ?> including substitutions. That is why
>a variable declared in one included file is seen from the other included
>file.

No.  include() and require() are just executable functions like every other
function.  They are not executed until they are encountered in the source
code, UNLIKE C and ASP where #include files are included before parsing
starts.

>However by that token the code
><?
>$fn="filename";
>include ($fn);
>?>
>should not work because
>include ($fn);
>should be done BEFORE executing $fn="filename";

Nope.  This works fine.

>But it works in PHP which means that PHP execute PHP code on the hosting
>page in the order it is written, adding included external files as it goes
>and executing PHP on the included files as it goes through them.
>Is that how it works?

Yes, exactly.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
0
timr (1409)
10/10/2004 5:39:35 AM
Michael Fesser <netizen@gmx.net> wrote in

<snip>

> Another thing that people writing top postings (BTW: what's TOFU in
> English? I only know it in German ... *g*) seem to forget is the length
> of the posting. With just adding an answer on top of another posting the
> articles get longer and longer, hundreds of lines for just a handful of
> new text. This wastes bandwidth and space on hundreds of newsservers.
>
> Micha

Pretty close in either language:

English TOFU = Text Over, Fullquote Under
German TOFU = "Text oben, Fullquote unten"

0
nomail14 (464)
10/10/2004 8:23:03 PM
Daniel Tryba <news_comp.lang.php@canopus.nl> wrote in

<snip>

> So whats the reason for the full underquote? Modern threaded readers
> make it easy for the user to get the full message if they want it to!
> TOFU makes no sense in this case, so just don't resend the same old
> article so people don't have to scan in just in case there is something
> added.

You're 100% correct.  If I full posted an underquote that was my bad.

Either way, the flames here are no where near as bad as if you top post in
one of the OS or C/C++ groups....  Nevertheless, I will need to make a
lifestyle change to avoid being plonked.

0
nomail14 (464)

SSI Including PHP File Within PHP File Causes Seg Fault and Crash
Can somebody concur or verify the following? I'm having this problem on all of my installations. I've got Apache 2.0.40 and PHP 4.2.2 installed and configured from RedHat RPMs. Nothing out of the ordinary. In the httpd.conf file, PHP files are called with the following: <Files *.php> SetOutputFilter PHP;INCLUDES SetInputFilter PHP LimitRequestBody 524288 </Files> I create two files as follows: /test1.php <!--#include virtaul="/test2.php" --> and /test2.php Testing 1 2 3 By going to http://host/test1.php, it may or may not display the fi...

Parsing a php include (which also contains php code)
Hello, I am using the <?php include() ?> statement on my website for organizational purposes. However, one of my includes contains some PHP code. Is there any way for the server to actually parse the include? I've tried this before, and it did not parse the include. Rather, it included the file as just plain ASCII. ======================= /*EXAMPLE 1*/ /*index.php*/ .... <?php include('global/includes/footer.inc') ?> .... /*footer.inc*/ .... <p>&copy 1993-<?php echo date("Y") ?> Kingswood School. All rights reserved.</p> .... /*EXA...

including a PHP file displays the file's content to the user agent (PHP 5.1)
Hi all I'm having a strange problem when upgrading the content management system eZ publish from PHP 4.4 to PHP 5.1. Some cache files related to i18n are included with the "include" function, but they are being displayed to the user agent instead of being parsed by PHP. With PHP 4.4 there was no problem. You can download a test script from: http://blog.kristofcoomans.be/wp-content/uploads/test.tar Thanks for your help Cheers -- Kristof Cyberwolf wrote: > Hi all > > I'm having a strange problem when upgrading the content management > system eZ publish from...

I need to create html files from php files using php
I am very new to PHP, although I have been using ASP for a few years. I use a product in ASP called ASPTear, it's a small dll that my hosting company happens to have loaded. Basically you can set up a function that you can pass an ASP page to and it will read the ASP and write out an HTML file. I use this to save load on the server and speed up my site, I have a few include files that look up data and then present it, this data does not change very often, so I run a routine called rebuildhtml.asp that will call a few ASP files and create HTML versions. I am now converting the site to P...

PHP does not parse .PHP files
I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. With CLI, I am able to execute my .php files. For example, if I type "php phpinfo.php" , this works fine on my system. If I put the phpinfo.php file is in /var/www/html and I try to access it through the browser, I get the content of the file and not the execution of the file. Instead of display the info of PHP, I got the text of the file as: <?php phpinfo(); ?> Why? Thanks Phong Ho wrote: >I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. > >With CLI, I am able to execute my ....

Open .php file with PHP Designer 2007 by clicking the file in XP
In windows XP, I want to be able to click on a .php file and have it opened in PHP Designer 2007, Or right-click on it and have an "edit" menu option presented to me. I know how to tweak the registry to do this in general, but what would the command line look like in this specific case ? PHP Designer does not do this automatically. It is as if the program does not allow commandline options. It only opens with the last file used or a menu of recently opened files. ...

want to get content of one php file in another php file
i have one php file having content Contents of ex1.php file <body> <?php $content = "c://webserver/www/abc.php"; $handle = fopen($content, "r"); echo fread($handle,filesize($content)); ?> </body> this is reading abc.php file in which i m simply using an echo statement. When i execute ex1.php file i cant see the php statement of abc.php file content of abc.php file is <?php echo "hello";?> sarika wrote: > i have one php file having content > > Contents of ex1.php file > <body> > <?php > $content = "c://webserver/www/abc.php"; > $handle = fopen($content, "r"); > echo fread($handle,filesize($content)); > ?> > </body> > this is reading abc.php file in which i m simply using an echo > statement. When i execute ex1.php file i cant see the php statement of > abc.php file > > content of abc.php file is > <?php echo "hello";?> That's interesting, I've found out that it's the browser that's hiding <?php ?> tags within .phpx pages. Probably to avoid short tags scripts (on a server that doesn't allow them) from getting leaked by visitors who don't know about this browser trick, until the dev' realizes his error. Not a good thing, IMO; dev's should take care, themselves, and it's still not secure since the hidden string is still in the rendered source. And now we don't know how ...

Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='F:\www\include') in F:\Program Files\PHP\PEAR\Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22
Hi, Guys=EF=BC=8Cwhen I run my site ,I got some errors: Warning: require_once(PEAR.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in F:\Program Files\PHP\PEAR \Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22 Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path=3D'F:\www\include') in F:\Program Files \PHP\PEAR\Text\CAPTCHA.php on line 22 It appears that it cann't find the pear.php ,but i checked my dir,and this file was there,and also I have my php.ini file checked,the include_path=3Dinclude_path=3D".;F:\Progr...

file php how a js recalled by other file
I have a File0.php with code: <?php $var2='Hello'; ?> <script type="text/javascript"> var vp2 = '<?php print $var2; ?>' ; document.write(vp2) ; </script> ok work; but would like to use other solutions, also to see how work php with js: 1) var vp2 = '<?php $var2; ?>' ; why so not work ? (absolute want print or echo) 2) to move this row <?php $var2='Hello'; ?> form File0.php to a new file1.js see that it is a php code, think that only solution is however to make a file1.php but with header in javascript...

Ruby equivalence for php include("file.php");
Hi there I'm doing some RoR exercices to begin a website and I want to include a file which contains the header template. I have coded using php before and I know it's done using include("file.php") and I don't know how to do it. How do you include a html template into another one (I haven't found anything googling)? Thanks in advance Regards -- Miquel (a.k.a. Ktal=E0 a.k.a. Ton) Linux User #286784 GPG Key : 4D91EF7F Debian GNU/Linux (Linux wolverine 2.6.22.5) Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games Guns n' Roses Miquel Oliete wrote: > I'm do...

Quoting PHP code in a .php file???

Modify a php file(model) with php
I have an invoice model on my server! and i want to replace some field(like adresse, phone, price, VAT, ....) do you know a tools or class that allows those kind of manipulations Thanks you Yoni Yoni Alhadeff a �crit : > I have an invoice model on my server! and i want to replace some field(like > adresse, phone, price, VAT, ....) > > do you know a tools or class that allows those kind of manipulations > > Thanks you > > Yoni > > Couldn't you replace field with var and have them set when including your template (it become one in fact) ? I didn'...

php assembly of multiple php files
I am trying to combine multiple php pages into 1. Basically I have created a shell page and then a seperate php file for each form to be included within the shell. The problem I am having is that when a user submits one of the forms the main shell and the other php files POST values are all returned as NULL and I only get the values pertaining to the form that was submitted?. If all the files were combined into one very long php file, I would get all the POSTs returned how can I do the same but with multiple files? When you submit an include, do the POST values not get passed back to the M...

How to invoke remote php file from php?
Hi, I have a local php file and I need to get info back from php file on the server. How do I invoke remote a php? I can access this remote php thru a simple url and it prints some info on the web page. How do I get this info back to store as a variable in local php? Regards, Alex. Alex wrote: > Hi, I have a local php file and I need to get info back from php file > on the server. How do I invoke remote a php? I can access this remote > php thru a simple url and it prints some info on the web page. How do I > get this info back to store as a variable in local php? > > Reg...

When does the php interpreter loads the php file?
Hi All, I'm wondering three facts about php, apache and apache module. 1.How can i differentiate the php intepreter if it's running as a apache module or as cgi? 2.When does the php interpretor loads the php file to main memory? 3.and till when it keeps the php file on memory? - in my experience only after installing Zend it caches the php file. Thak you *** Kim Gijung wrote/escribi� (20 Oct 2004 00:03:35 -0700): > 1.How can i differentiate the php intepreter if it's running as a > apache module or as cgi? If I recall correctly phpinfo() calls it "Server API&qu...

Variables not passing from html file to php file

Upgraded php, lost php file association
Hi, I just upgraded my php but ran into a problem. Never seen this before. Somehow it seems I lost php file association. When I do a http://localhost/something.php I get a prompt for dowload of a file. I went to folder options, and changed file associations so that ".php" is associated with php interpreter, but still get the same problem. I am missing someting obvious. Can someone help. Thanks. -- http://www.dbForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards Topic URL: http://www.dbForumz.com/PHP-...

grep for all php calls in the hierarchy of php files
By starting with index.php in the DocumentRoot, I want to find all calls to PHP files. Thus, I extract all the php files in index.php and then grep all those php files for the calls to php files in those until I get the entire hierarchy of php files. My attempt so far has not gone very well. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I just can't figure out where I went wrong. Below, note that I output results to the screen before actually using the same exact call to go to the next level. There probably is a better way but I couldn't think of it. The script does produce 2 or 3...

how do I hide database connection files using PHP include files?
I have the following at the beginning of the PHP page: <?php require_once('Connections/conn.php'); ?> I want to hide the connection file, "conn.php", so it's out of the web accessible file structure. I understand putting them in the php include directory shoudl do this. For example, let's say the directory I put them in is /www/phpIN/, and /www/ht/ is the root web directory. So I put "conn.php" in the inlcude directory (/www/phpIN/conn.php) and removed it form CONNECTIONS directory. Now it doesn't work. What do I need to change? Thanks. ...

Passing params to JS file implemented inside a php file
Hi Guys, I have a dynamic JS file created by a php file I call this script using: <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.mysite.com/jsfile.php? keyword=xxx"></script> Is it possible to somehow change the keyword xxx using javascript? (i.e. create it dynamically) Thanks vdfvdfv said the following on 11/14/2007 8:37 PM: > Hi Guys, > I have a dynamic JS file created by a php file > I call this script using: > <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.mysite.com/jsfile.php? > keyword=xxx"></script> > Is...

how do I hide database connection files using PHP include files? #2
I have the following at the beginning of the PHP page: <?php require_once('Connections/conn.php'); ?> I want to hide the connection file, "conn.php", so it's out of the web accessible file structure. I understand putting them in the php include directory shoudl do this. For example, let's say the directory I put them in is /www/phpIN/, and /www/ht/ is the root web directory. So I put "conn.php" in the inlcude directory (/www/phpIN/conn.php) and removed it form CONNECTIONS directory. Now it doesn't work. What do I need to change? Thanks. ...

cron jobs in PHP admin to run a PHP file
I want to run a php script every day. The page goes to a directory and parses a file and adds data to the database. Where it says "command" in cron jobs I don't know what it is looking for? Can I put the name of my php file? This is what I have: Minute Hour Day Month Weekday Command 1 8 1-7 1-31 * myPage.php The reason I am asking is I don't have a clue what PHPadmin wants in the command box. All I want to do is run the php script. Thanks, janis JRough wrote: >I want to run a php scrip...

PHP is looking for php.ini file in c:\windows
As the installation txt suggests, I have left my php.ini file inside the c:\php directory... but running phpinfo() shows that my php.ini file is in c:\windows as shown below. Configuration File (php.ini path) - C:\WINDOWS Well there is no php.ini file in my windows directory, so I'm not sure where it's getting it's configuration settings from... unless I suppose they're built into the executable somewhere if no php.ini file is found. My questions is - why php is not locating my php.ini file that is located in the c:\php directory? I'd rather not move it to the windows dir...

php bug? strange end of php file error
Why this code <?php function X() { // echo("commented ?>"); } X(); ?> give the error "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end" ??? ?> is into a string commented! On 07.09.2007 17:31 Fabio wrote: > Why this code > > <?php > function X() > { > // echo("commented ?>"); > } > X(); > ?> > > give the error > "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end" > > ??? > > ?> is into a string commented! no, it is not. There's no "strings" inside comments, ...

Web resources about - Is a PHP variable supposed to be seen in a .js file included into a .php file - comp.lang.php

Mozilla moves Firefox to variable release schedule
... schedule process "carefully" and learning "a lot" from it in the past years, Mozilla has announced that Firefox is now moving to a variable ...

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...

When your environment variables are showing
There are embarrassing moments in life. There is the teacher calling you out as a child in class as you stare out the window wistfully imagining ...