mail function and sendmail

Hi all,

The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail()
differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't
use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct
sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket
(which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). "

Does this mean that the sendmail binary is NOT needed on windows?

Also, the manual used to state that:

"For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the
sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another
mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate
sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for
sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/
usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have
sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP
must have permission to access the sendmail binary."

I couldn't find this in the manual anymore, is it still applicable?
What if you are downloading the PHP binaries, do you need to worry
about this?

Thanks

Taras
0
taras.di (163)

Taras_96 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail()
> differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't
> use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct
> sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket
> (which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). "
>
> Does this mean that the sendmail binary is NOT needed on windows?
>
> Also, the manual used to state that:
>
> "For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the
> sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another
> mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate
> sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for
> sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/
> usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have
> sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP
> must have permission to access the sendmail binary."
>
> I couldn't find this in the manual anymore, is it still applicable?
> What if you are downloading the PHP binaries, do you need to worry
> about this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Taras

No, you don't need a sendmail binary on Windows - and never have, AFAIK.
  You do need access to an MTA, which can be running on your system or
another (such as your ISP).  You set the host in your php.ini file.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

0
jstucklex (14659)
7/9/2008 12:25:01 PM
Greetings, Taras_96.

>> The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail()
>> differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't
>> use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct
>> sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket
>> (which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). "
>>
>> Does this mean that the sendmail binary is NOT needed on windows?
>>
>> Also, the manual used to state that:
>>
>> "For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the
>> sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another
>> mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate
>> sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for
>> sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/
>> usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have
>> sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP
>> must have permission to access the sendmail binary."
>>
>> I couldn't find this in the manual anymore, is it still applicable?
>> What if you are downloading the PHP binaries, do you need to worry
>> about this?

> No, you don't need a sendmail binary on Windows - and never have, AFAIK.
>   You do need access to an MTA, which can be running on your system or
> another (such as your ISP).  You set the host in your php.ini file.

Strictly speaking, it is possible to have sendmail (or at least ssmtp) on
windows system... but that's a waste of mind. PHP can interact directly with
SMTP server and it is adwised to do it that way in php.ini.

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
7/10/2008 8:13:03 PM
AnrDaemon wrote:
> Greetings, Taras_96.
>
>>> The PHP manual states that: "The Windows implementation of mail()
>>> differs in many ways from the Unix implementation. First, it doesn't
>>> use a local binary for composing messages but only operates on direct
>>> sockets which means a MTA is needed listening on a network socket
>>> (which can either on the localhost or a remote machine). "
>>>
>>> Does this mean that the sendmail binary is NOT needed on windows?
>>>
>>> Also, the manual used to state that:
>>>
>>> "For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the
>>> sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another
>>> mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate
>>> sendmail wrappers that come with them. PHP will first look for
>>> sendmail in your PATH, and then in the following: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/
>>> usr/etc:/etc:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib. It's highly recommended to have
>>> sendmail available from your PATH. Also, the user that compiled PHP
>>> must have permission to access the sendmail binary."
>>>
>>> I couldn't find this in the manual anymore, is it still applicable?
>>> What if you are downloading the PHP binaries, do you need to worry
>>> about this?
>
>> No, you don't need a sendmail binary on Windows - and never have, AFAIK.
>>   You do need access to an MTA, which can be running on your system or
>> another (such as your ISP).  You set the host in your php.ini file.
>
> Strictly speaking, it is possible to have sendmail (or at least ssmtp) on
> windows system... but that's a waste of mind. PHP can interact directly with
> SMTP server and it is adwised to do it that way in php.ini.

Gotta stick your nose in again with another worthless comment, huh?

>> [mail function]
>> ; For Win32 only.
>> SMTP = localhost
>> smtp_port = 25
>>
>> ; For Win32 only.
>> ;sendmail_from = me@example.com

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
7/10/2008 9:17:35 PM
Greetings, Jerry Stuckle.

> Gotta stick your nose in again with another worthless comment, huh?

Not as worthless as your answer to my post.
(TBH, I've found ssmtp/W32 very useful, but that's not PHP related issue)

--
Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru>

0
anrdaemon (327)
7/11/2008 12:25:37 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:13:03 +0400, AnrDaemon wrote:

> Greetings, Taras_96. In reply to message from Jerry Stuckle dated
> Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 16:25:01,
>
>> No, you don't need a sendmail binary on Windows - and never have,
>> AFAIK. You do need access to an MTA, which can be running on your
>> system or another (such as your ISP). You set the host in your
>> php.ini file.
>
> Strictly speaking, it is possible to have sendmail (or at least ssmtp)
> on windows system... but that's a waste of mind. PHP can interact
> directly with SMTP server and it is adwised to do it that way in
> php.ini.

What happens to the script it the remote SMTP server is temporarily
unavailable? You needn't actually answer, but it's something that *does*
need to be accounted for without a local MTA daemon. sendmail and it's
work-alike wrapped replacements are at least guaranteed to accept and
hold mails for the SMTP service to come back, but sSTMP and the build-in
Windows PHP mailer are not.

--
11. I will be secure in my superiority. Therefore, I will feel no need to prove
    it by leaving clues in the form of riddles or leaving my weaker enemies
Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:13:03 +0400, AnrDaemon wrote:
>
>> Greetings, Taras_96. In reply to message from Jerry Stuckle dated
>> Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 16:25:01,
>>
>>> No, you don't need a sendmail binary on Windows - and never have,
>>> AFAIK. You do need access to an MTA, which can be running on your
>>> system or another (such as your ISP). You set the host in your
>>> php.ini file.
>> Strictly speaking, it is possible to have sendmail (or at least ssmtp)
>> on windows system... but that's a waste of mind. PHP can interact
>> directly with SMTP server and it is adwised to do it that way in
>> php.ini.
>
> What happens to the script it the remote SMTP server is temporarily
> unavailable? You needn't actually answer, but it's something that *does*
> need to be accounted for without a local MTA daemon. sendmail and it's
> work-alike wrapped replacements are at least guaranteed to accept and
> hold mails for the SMTP service to come back, but sSTMP and the build-in
> Windows PHP mailer are not.

The same thing that happens when the local MTA isn't available.  The
function call fails.

But considering how many ISP's are now blocking port 25 for outgoing
email, it doesn't make much sense to run your own email server.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
7/11/2008 1:02:52 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:02:52 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Peter H. Coffin wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:13:03 +0400, AnrDaemon wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings, Taras_96. In reply to message from Jerry Stuckle dated
>>> Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 16:25:01,

>>> Strictly speaking, it is possible to have sendmail (or at least ssmtp)
>>> on windows system... but that's a waste of mind. PHP can interact
>>> directly with SMTP server and it is adwised to do it that way in
>>> php.ini.
>>
>> What happens to the script it the remote SMTP server is temporarily
>> unavailable? You needn't actually answer, but it's something that *does*
>> need to be accounted for without a local MTA daemon. sendmail and it's
>> work-alike wrapped replacements are at least guaranteed to accept and
>> hold mails for the SMTP service to come back, but sSTMP and the build-in
>> Windows PHP mailer are not.
>>

> The same thing that happens when the local MTA isn't available.  The
> function call fails.

Ah, but if a local MTA isn't available, that's *your* fault, not someone
else's.

> But considering how many ISP's are now blocking port 25 for outgoing
> email, it doesn't make much sense to run your own email server.

Ain't that big a deal. Have the local MTA rigged to deliver to the
remote MTA the same way as whatever the sSMTP or built-in mailer would
do. All the good MTAs can play nicely with smarthosts at least as well
as all good mail clients.

--
I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
Probably a bad thing; most things are bad things.
Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:02:52 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> Peter H. Coffin wrote:

>>> What happens to the script it the remote SMTP server is temporarily
>>> unavailable? You needn't actually answer, but it's something that *does*
>>> need to be accounted for without a local MTA daemon. sendmail and it's
>>> work-alike wrapped replacements are at least guaranteed to accept and
>>> hold mails for the SMTP service to come back, but sSTMP and the build-in
>>> Windows PHP mailer are not.
>>>
>> The same thing that happens when the local MTA isn't available.  The
>> function call fails.
>
> Ah, but if a local MTA isn't available, that's *your* fault, not someone
> else's.
>
>> But considering how many ISP's are now blocking port 25 for outgoing
>> email, it doesn't make much sense to run your own email server.
>
> Ain't that big a deal. Have the local MTA rigged to deliver to the
> remote MTA the same way as whatever the sSMTP or built-in mailer would
> do. All the good MTAs can play nicely with smarthosts at least as well
> as all good mail clients.

If you have a smarthost on the other end which accepts relays for other
domains.  There aren't many of those out there unless you have a VPS or
dedicated server.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
7/18/2008 8:29:09 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:29:09 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> Peter H. Coffin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:02:52 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>>> The same thing that happens when the local MTA isn't available. The
>>> function call fails.
>>
>> Ah, but if a local MTA isn't available, that's *your* fault, not
>> someone else's.
>>
>>> But considering how many ISP's are now blocking port 25 for outgoing
>>> email, it doesn't make much sense to run your own email server.
>>
>> Ain't that big a deal. Have the local MTA rigged to deliver to the
>> remote MTA the same way as whatever the sSMTP or built-in mailer
>> would do. All the good MTAs can play nicely with smarthosts at least
>> as well as all good mail clients.
>

> If you have a smarthost on the other end which accepts relays for
> other domains. There aren't many of those out there unless you have a
> VPS or dedicated server.

If you can't get mail out with an MTA, you can't get mail out with
sSMTP. And there are transitory circumstances under which you CAN get
mail out with a real MTA that would  fail with sSMTP. That's the whole
of my point.

--
65. If I must have computer systems with publically available terminals, the
    maps they display of my complex will have a room clearly marked as the Main
Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:29:09 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> Peter H. Coffin wrote:

>>> Ah, but if a local MTA isn't available, that's *your* fault, not
>>> someone else's.

>>> Ain't that big a deal. Have the local MTA rigged to deliver to the
>>> remote MTA the same way as whatever the sSMTP or built-in mailer
>>> would do. All the good MTAs can play nicely with smarthosts at least
>>> as well as all good mail clients.
>>
>> If you have a smarthost on the other end which accepts relays for
>> other domains. There aren't many of those out there unless you have a
>> VPS or dedicated server.
>
> If you can't get mail out with an MTA, you can't get mail out with
> sSMTP. And there are transitory circumstances under which you CAN get
> mail out with a real MTA that would  fail with sSMTP. That's the whole
> of my point.

Not really true.  As I indciated, MTA's use port 25 for communications
between systems.  Those are now being blocked by more and more ISPs.
However, port 587 is supposed to be used for users to connect to their
MTA and still open.  However, if set up properly, port 587 requires
authorization - something a spammer wouldn't have.

So running an MTA on your machine won't help if port 25 outgoing is
blocked.  And very few people have access to smarthosts.  Those who do
are mainly employees of large companies.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================

0
jstucklex (14659)
7/21/2008 2:26:13 AM
"Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklex@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Peter H. Coffin wrote:

>>> If you have a smarthost on the other end which accepts relays for
>>> other domains. There aren't many of those out there unless you have a
>>> VPS or dedicated server.
>>
>> If you can't get mail out with an MTA, you can't get mail out with
>> sSMTP. And there are transitory circumstances under which you CAN get
>> mail out with a real MTA that would  fail with sSMTP. That's the whole
>> of my point.
>>

> Not really true.  As I indciated, MTA's use port 25 for communications
> between systems.  Those are now being blocked by more and more ISPs.
> However, port 587 is supposed to be used for users to connect to their MTA
> and still open.  However, if set up properly, port 587 requires
> authorization - something a spammer wouldn't have.

wow, jerry! kinda, but not really? an explanation would really be amusing
here!

if set up properly, any port (25 inclusive) can be made to require
authorization...but that's not even a direct counter to 'all the good mtas
can play nicely with smarthosts...'. it's not even a side-ways counter. it's
nothing to do with the point.

> So running an MTA on your machine won't help if port 25 outgoing is
> blocked.  And very few people have access to smarthosts.  Those who do are
> mainly employees of large companies.

you keep using terms like 'very few people' and 'those are now being blocked
by more and more isps'. it begs the question jerry. care to quantify that
with cited materials? that would certainly help you make a case that
'playing nicely' is play that is hard to come by these days.

why do you go soooo far off tangent from what the OP actually asks? usually
it shows you making unsubstantiated claims...and shows your lack of
knowledge in anything not directly php code language specific, i.e. how
email works.

hmmmm...here's a test. tell us, oh knowledgable one, what 'transitory
circumstances' would they be that would allow mail out with a real MTA but
where a binary such as sstmp would fail? i can think of a couple off the top
of my head. if any had come to your mind, i'm sure you wouldn't have strayed
so far from the point, and as readily!

and btw, nice display of christianly love with the response to arn! at least
my 'lying' involves keeping my mouth shut...yours careens out of your pie
hole with the unrelently onslaught of your typing fingers! we'd all much
appreciate you lying in the manner i espouse. :)

keep your yap shut, jer.

0
the.one (106)
7/21/2008 3:05:20 AM
"Jerry Stuckle" <jstucklex@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Peter H. Coffin wrote:

>>> If you have a smarthost on the other end which accepts relays for
>>> other domains. There aren't many of those out there unless you have a
>>> VPS or dedicated server.
>>
>> If you can't get mail out with an MTA, you can't get mail out with
>> sSMTP. And there are transitory circumstances under which you CAN get
>> mail out with a real MTA that would  fail with sSMTP. That's the whole
>> of my point.
>>

> Not really true.  As I indciated, MTA's use port 25 for communications
> between systems.  Those are now being blocked by more and more ISPs.
> However, port 587 is supposed to be used for users to connect to their MTA
> and still open.  However, if set up properly, port 587 requires
> authorization - something a spammer wouldn't have.

wow, jerry! kinda, but not really? an explanation would really be amusing
here!

if set up properly, any port (25 inclusive) can be made to require
authorization...but that's not even a direct counter to 'all the good mtas
can play nicely with smarthosts...'. it's not even a side-ways counter. it's
nothing to do with the point.

> So running an MTA on your machine won't help if port 25 outgoing is
> blocked.  And very few people have access to smarthosts.  Those who do are
> mainly employees of large companies.

you keep using terms like 'very few people' and 'those are now being blocked
by more and more isps'. it begs the question jerry. care to quantify that
with cited materials? that would certainly help you make a case that
'playing nicely' is play that is hard to come by these days.

why do you go soooo far off tangent from what the OP actually asks? usually
it shows you making unsubstantiated claims...and shows your lack of
knowledge in anything not directly php code language specific, i.e. how
email works.

hmmmm...here's a test. tell us, oh knowledgable one, what 'transitory
circumstances' would they be that would allow mail out with a real MTA but
where a binary such as sstmp would fail? i can think of a couple off the top
of my head. if any had come to your mind, i'm sure you wouldn't have strayed
so far from the point, and as readily!

and btw, nice display of christianly love with the response to arn! at least
my 'lying' involves keeping my mouth shut...yours careens out of your pie
hole with the unrelently onslaught of your typing fingers! we'd all much
appreciate you lying in the manner i espouse. :)

keep your yap shut, jer.

0
the.one (106)

does PHP mail() function depend on sendmail?
We're installing a new server at the office and this will be the first server we set up from which we host our website. We got tired of dealing with Interland and decided to bring our hosting in-house. The guy doing most of the work struggled with sendmail for awhile and then gave up. Now he's installing Postit, or Postfix, or whatever it's called. Does the PHP mail function depend on sendmail, or can it use any mta software? Hi, lawrence wrote: > We're installing a new server at the office and this will be the first > server we set up from which we host our website. W...

PHP mail() function is sends emails to sendmail but they never get received
Hi... I got a really a nasty problem with my mail() function... I have a form mailer on my website which is using the mail() funcion of my own webserver. After sending a message the mail script is telling me that the email was send correct. But nobody is receiving it. I have tried a lot of different domains incase that the email address which I have used been blocked because of SPAM. The mail() function has worked for long time.....and I did nothing changed on the configuration. What is the reason for this? I couldn't find anything information regarding this problem. Thanks for your he...

php mail function
i have set up a feedback form that emails the results. my web host says it will not work if the email is coming from nobody. this is their answer "you are just going to have to learn to tell your scripts to generate th emails as someone@yourdmain - not just as nobody." does anyone know how to make this happen? Quinonez wrote: > i have set up a feedback form that emails the results. my web host > says it will not work if the email is coming from nobody. this is > their answer "you are just going to have to learn to tell your > scripts to generate th emails as someon...

when receiving the mail(php mail function), the variable's last value is getting converted to $ or # replacing the digit

PHP mail() function problem
Hi all, I want to send mails using php mail() function, my web server is apache on linux i just add this line to my code ini_set('sendmail_from', 'users@must.edu.eg'); i'm sending emails to users at the same domain ....@must.edu.eg but it didn't send mail also it don't give any errors but i'm sure that mail server is working coz when i'm trying to send mails to the same domain through outlook it works well. i tried to send to hotmail it sends just one mail but when i tried again the same happened no mails sent with no error. where do u think the problem???? noha khalifa wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to send mails using php mail() function, my web server is > apache on linux i just add this line to my code > ini_set('sendmail_from', 'users@must.edu.eg'); > > i'm sending emails to users at the same domain ....@must.edu.eg but it > didn't send mail also it don't give any errors > > but i'm sure that mail server is working coz when i'm trying to send > mails to the same domain through outlook it works well. > > i tried to send to hotmail it sends just one mail but when i tried > again the same happened no mails sent with no error. > > where do u think the problem???? You didn't show your code, so it's impossible to tell. You shouldn't be using ini_set for 'sendmail_from' - that's just a default value. Rather, you should be ...

PHP mail function is spammer?
I don't understand why any message sent with mail functions is automatically stored in the spam by Gmail. Sillaba While the city slept, Sillaba atona (NOSPAM@tin.it) feverishly typed... > I don't understand why any message sent with mail functions is > automatically stored in the spam by Gmail. > There could be many and varied reasons... Are you setting a return path? And is that the same as the address the mail "comes" from? Does the mail you are sending have a "from" address that corresponds to the server you are sending from? Does the mail you are ...

PHP mail() function and maillog
Hello. Under linux, when I use the mail() function in php there seems to be no record of it in any mail log file or system messages. Anyone know where the log of mails sent might be stored? I know the code to send the mail is running, but I want to confirm that the server is trying to send out the mails. Thanks, Dave. -- Fermat was right. David Gillen wrote: > Hello. > > Under linux, when I use the mail() function in php there seems to be no record > of it in any mail log file or system messages. Anyone know where the log of > mails sent might be stored? I know the code to ...

PHP mail function #2
Hello, can any one help me with the following issue: I use PHP mail function to send emails, when I receive these emails I find some exclamation marks (!) added in the text, this is weird. Can any one help me. Hello, on 02/13/2008 05:39 PM Ahmad said the following: > Hello, can any one help me with the following issue: > > I use PHP mail function to send emails, when I receive these > emails I find some exclamation marks (!) added in the text, this is > weird. Can any one help me. It seems you have lines in your messages that need to be encoded properly with quoted-printable encoding. You may want to try this MIME message compose and sending class that can do that for you without having to learn too much about message encoding standards: http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage -- Regards, Manuel Lemos PHP professionals looking for PHP jobs http://www.phpclasses.org/professionals/ PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP http://www.phpclasses.org/ ...

PHP mail () function configuration
hi every body, i have a problem which is when i was checking my mail() form it work fine but the problem is that the form configuration is not set correctly, in details: the from var is not working and the from is set to be my host provider email is the sender, so they told me to configure the php.ini file and i dont know what is this file and how to configure it. thanks in advance shror www.s7els7.com www.beachtoursegypt.com www.mobidp.com On Feb 22, 2:32 am, "shror" <shahi...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi every body, > > i have a problem which is when i was checking my...

PHP, sendmail, and mail() - VERY SLOW
I'm working with a LAMP platform - PHP 5.1.4, MySQL 5.0.21, RedHat Enterprise 4... Running Sendmail 8.x. I'm using the PHP mail() function to send some confirmation emails out when a user submits a form. My understanding is that this is basically a wrapper for sendmail (specifically, sendmail -t -i). In my development environment, this works great. Everything is fast and wonderful. In my production environment, it takes 10-15 seconds or more before the mail() function completes. If I comment out that function, the page is nice and quick again. Does anyone have any ideas of what...

How to embed youtube player in php mail function

Problem sending mail with sendmail and php
When i send mail using mail() in php i receive from my external smtp server a message such that: Sep 3 17:30:15 xxxxxxx postfix/smtpd[898]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[yyyyyyyy]: 450 <apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found; from=<apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it> to=<marco.pppppppppppppp@xxxxxxx.it> proto=ESMTP helo=<apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it> Where zzzzzzzzzz is name of the Linux machine uuu.hhh.it is the domain I need that sender is someone@uuu.hhh.it and not apache@zzzzzzzzzz.uuu.hhh.it Do you know where must i ...

php's mail() function // permission problems
Hi all. I'm trying to get php's mail() function working. When I use it at the moment, I get: /var/log/messages: Jul 14 13:23:27 mail sendmail[22171]: NOQUEUE: Milter (mimedefang): to error state /usr/local/apache2/logs/error_log: Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser. I have checked in the PHP newsgroups, and they assure me it is a problem with my sendmail setup... I have installed sendmail (8.12.8) as per included instructions and read the SECURITY file. The following permissions set: -r-xr-sr-x 1 root smmsp 611974 Mar 5 21:37 /usr/...

SuSE 9.1
This one has me stumped. How did SuSE disable the mail() function in their RPM'd version of PHP? ( This is their install-version of PHP with RPMs not what you download from PHP.net ) I have an application that emails people a message, and now having installed my PHP application on my customer's machine it doesn't work, giving an error message that the mail() function is not defined. I'd like to know if it's something in the config on the machine that I can simply turn it on, or do I need to simply recompile PHP? I'd like to not have to recompile PHP as SuSE have alr...

php mail() not sending to mail Clients (ie, Outlook, Apple Mail, thunderbird, etc..)
I have a send mail script on my site that. The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients like Outlook, Mail, etc...) Is this a problem with the script, or is it something I must change in php ini file? Thanks in advance for any help. here is the code. (im using it in conjunction with javascript for some AJAX stuff) if(!isset($_GET['action'])) { die("You must not access this page directly!"); //Just to stop people from visiting contact.php normally } /* Now lets trim up the input before sending it */ $name = trim($_GET['name']); //The sen...

Mail client functionality on php application
I need to have basic mail functionality to integrate on my php app (it's mainly a database with a bootstrap UI): IMAP Send / Receive mail (and updating existing DB upon send/receive) Manage attachments (save to custom folder) Flexible UI (Need to display, for example, last 10 messages on a widget in main homepage) Using Twitter bootstrap very robust APIs for programmatic actions and for UI building I'm trying roundcube and I think it's a little "oversized" for me, but I'm a kind of scared to build a mail client from scratch. Does anyone have any idea? Than...

html textarea --> php mail function produces additional line break
Hi, I'm reading text from a html textarea field (standard wrap functionality, no value specified). If I display it via nl2br() (after html form submission), everything's ok. But if I send it via mail() the receiver gets each single line break (originating from textarea) displayed by TWO line breaks. So the text needlessly gets inflated... Can anybody help me out what to do to handle this problem? Thanks in advance! Regards, Christian Schinzel (copied from php.general) Chris Schinzel wrote: > I'm reading text from a html textarea field (standard wrap > functionality, no...

Apache->PHP-mail()->sendmail problem Debian 3.1 #2
Hi! I doing some progress here. Now it is 'only' PHP-mail() that dont talk to sendmail as it shuld do. My /etc/mail/sendmail.mc [...] define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.13.4-3sarge1 2006-03-22 22:41:17 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl dnl # Items controlled by /etc/mail/sendmail.conf - DO NOT TOUCH HERE undefine(`confHOST_STATUS_DIRECTORY')dnl #DAEMON_HOSTSTATS= dnl # Items controlled by /etc/mail/sendmail.conf - DO NOT TOUCH HERE dnl # dnl # General defin...

mail function
hi ng, what can i do in the following mail function, which hast 400 subscribers who are read from a database and to which the mails are send in a loop, when there are some adresses who are not reachable. My provider receives all the failure mails. is it possible to send the mail daemons ( failures ) to a special adress, so that the provider doesnt reseive so many emailfailures ? he hates me for that. is that a server problem ? thx for a quick answer haref /****************************************************************************** Function : send_mail **********************************...

Problem with Mail()
In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following code to successfully write to a database and also send out an email. For some reason, when I take this code to work, it still writes to the database but doesn't send mail so we're (me and the I.T. guy) trying to find out whether it's the difference between PHP 4 or something else with email security. Does anyone here have experience with mail() in PHP 4 to know whether PHP 4 had issues with mail() that were fixed with PHP 5 ???? We've been chasing this from the mail server side at work when perhaps its some nuance between versions of PHP. Appreciate any help... Chris /* > $to = stripslashes($to); */ $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; $subject = stripslashes($subject); $text = stripslashes($text); /* > mail('$to',$subject, $text); */ mail($to, $subject, $text, "From: admin@localhosthome.com"); cover wrote: > $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; > Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF here. JW On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:33:57 +0100, "Janwillem Borleffs" <jw@jwscripts.com> wrote: >cover wrote: >> $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; >> > >Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF >here. Thanks for the reply. I tried it after reading your post and no change... Thanks again, cover wrote: > In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following co...

Emails blocked by certain mail hosts? (mail() function)
I'm using mail($address,$subjectheading,$message,"From: me@mysite.com") to send emails from my site. For the most part, it works okay (for example, I receive the mail in my Yahoo box). But when I check my university email, the message is not delivered. I thought maybe it was because I had included my web address in the subject heading and that it was being filtered out, but I removed that from the subject and it still fails to get through. I'm making a wedding site for some friends now and they want to be able to email everyone on their guest list at once, but I'm afraid ...

Calling functions from functions from functions ...
Lets say I have a function g(p,x) where x and p are of some defined type. I also have a function NewtonR which I can use like so: x = NewtonR(g,p,x0) There is also another function I want to call ImplicitTrap which can be done as: u = ImplicitTrap(g,p,u0,step,n) This function defines a function of g, and it is this function that I'd like to pass to NewtonR. Can it be done? Basically the code is implementing the implicit trapezoidal rule for numerical integration with the NR solver being used at each step with automatic differentiation being used to handle the differentiation. M...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Web resources about - mail function and sendmail - comp.lang.php

Talk:Trigonometric functions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Mathematics , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Mathematics on Wikipedia. If ...

Eating chocolate 'improves brain function' - study
... news for those with a sweet tooth - a recent study has found that regular chocolate consumption is associated with better cognitive function. ...

Using Functions to Make Better Abstractions
... (code that is tightly coupled to its own implementation details). I was wrong. I was wrong because I had an incomplete understanding of functions. ...

Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers ...
Al-Bawaba Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers run network ... Al-Bawaba ...

Google Maps for iOS adds detour function, 3D touch support
Google has extended its pit-stop feature the ability to find places to stop off on journeys to iPhone and iPad users with the release of Google ...

LVMH's Hublot May Be Next Brand for Smart Functions, Biver Says
Hublot will probably be the next LVMH watch brand to add smart functions, following TAG Heuer’s footsteps in combining Swiss craftsmanship and ...

Yahoo Begins Grim Job of Closing Functions, Laying Off Staff
Yahoo Food is closing, and other digital magazines on tech, travel and beauty are also scheduled for closing or major cutbacks.

Compliance Risk Study Shows Compliance Function Needs New Initiatives to Protect Its Hard-Won Gains
Financial institutions’ compliance functions have come a long way, but they still have some distance to travel before they reach the right strategic ...

A 3D Printed Jet Engine Appears to Function
... jet engine . You may remember seeing a 3D printed jet engine grace our front page back in October. That one was beautiful didn’t function . ...

‘World Of Warcraft’ Alpha Removes Gold From Garrison Missions, Water Striders No Longer Function Everywhere ...
... build deploying soon to the alpha server, garrison missions no longer reward gold and the water-walking Water Strider mounts no longer function ...