MS Access ODBC Driver

   I need to export MySQL data to Access.

   As always, there seems to be more than one way to do this.

   I notice that PHP has: DB.php

   If I was doing this in perl, there would be an ODBC driver
(DBD::ODBC). Is there such a thing in PHP? Can this play well with DBO?

  I see some commercial driver products, but my needs are modest as I'm
not using any of Accesses special features, whatever those might be!

   Jeff
0
jeff7457 (189)

In article <8cWdnZ0uWcbRty3VnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
 Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

>    I need to export MySQL data to Access.
>
>    As always, there seems to be more than one way to do this.
>
>    I notice that PHP has: DB.php
>
>    If I was doing this in perl, there would be an ODBC driver
> (DBD::ODBC). Is there such a thing in PHP? Can this play well with DBO?
>
>   I see some commercial driver products, but my needs are modest as I'm
> not using any of Accesses special features, whatever those might be!
>
>    Jeff

Why not use phpMyAdmin and export to a CSV file?  AFAIK, Access can read
that just fine.  I see no need to output directly to Access.  Use an
intermediate file.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

0
vilain2 (2187)
8/23/2008 3:56:16 PM
>   As always, there seems to be more than one way to do this.
>
>   I notice that PHP has: DB.php
>
>   If I was doing this in perl, there would be an ODBC driver
> (DBD::ODBC). Is there such a thing in PHP? Can this play well with
> DBO?
>
>  I see some commercial driver products, but my needs are modest as
> I'm not using any of Accesses special features, whatever those might
> be!
>
>   Jeff

Hi,

can you not just install  / use the PHP ODBC ?
http://nl2.php.net/odbc

I have used that with succes.
For a one time transfer you might get away with a csv export mentioned
in
this thread, but then you have to create an import specification in
Access,
since the csv file does not contain any database / field information.

Richard

0
Richard
8/24/2008 12:34:06 AM
Richard wrote:
> [...]

   This looks good. The install notes are very sketchy and I'm
relatively new to php. Is this "installed" when php is compiled?

> For a one time transfer you might get away with a csv export mentioned
> in
> this thread, but then you have to create an import specification in
> Access,
> since the csv file does not contain any database / field information.

   Thanks, I  suspected that. There's several users who will need to
"download" and periodically run reports. The whole thing died when they
got moved from one Verio Server to another. I've heard people say nice
things about Verio but I chalk that up to inexperience with them!

   Jeff

> Richard

0
jeff7457 (189)
8/24/2008 6:18:35 PM
On 23 Aug, 16:56, Michael Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <8cWdnZ0uWcbRty3VnZ2dnUVZ_uKdn...@earthlink.com>,
>
> =A0Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
> > =A0 =A0I need to export MySQL data to Access.
>
> > =A0 =A0As always, there seems to be more than one way to do this.
>
> > =A0 =A0I notice that PHP has: DB.php
>
> > =A0 =A0If I was doing this in perl, there would be an ODBC driver
> > (DBD::ODBC). Is there such a thing in PHP? Can this play well with DBO?
>
> > =A0 I see some commercial driver products, but my needs are modest as I=
'm
> > not using any of Accesses special features, whatever those might be!
>
> > =A0 =A0Jeff

Why ever would you want to do that?

If you must, then export the MySQL tables over ODBC and map them in
Access. But you'll probably need to set all your queries to run as
passthru to get decent performance.

> Why not use phpMyAdmin and export to a CSV file? =A0AFAIK, Access can rea=
> that just fine. =A0I see no need to output directly to Access. =A0Use an
> intermediate file.

Why not just export it as SQL commands - then you just paste the SQL
to create the table.

C.
"Jeff" <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote in message
> Richard wrote:

Yes, as far as I remember I never installed anything extra.

>> For a one time transfer you might get away with a csv export
>> mentioned in
>> this thread, but then you have to create an import specification in
>> Access,
>> since the csv file does not contain any database / field
>> information.
>
>   Thanks, I  suspected that. There's several users who will need to
> "download" and periodically run reports. The whole thing died when
> they got moved from one Verio Server to another. I've heard people
> say nice things about Verio but I chalk that up to inexperience with
> them!

If your users are on Windows, another option would be to use the ODBC
driver for mySQL and use "linked tables" in Access.
Maybe you do not want this, because your users will have access to the
"live" data.
Maybe create a read-only / restricted user for the ODBC connection?

The ODBC connection from Access I have used many times too, and works,
although it has some quirks.

Richard

0
Richard

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC
Hi, I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 DATATABLE ="table1" DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; RUN; This works fine. For my second database, using the same code but changing the file/table names, I get the following error: ERROR: Open cursor: ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed. ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details. When do I need to use ODBC and when do I not need it for reading Access databases? Is there some attribute of the 2nd database that I can change so that I don't require ODBC? Thanks, EP ...

Clarion/Topspeed ODBC Driver
Can anyone here confirm if this is actually possible? I have the ODBC driver and need simple access to a single TPS file (to pull availability information for a client's online booking system). The query is a relatively simple one : select * from avail where avail.sdate=75142 I can't see a reason why this fails. I've tried passing the date as a clarion date (numeric) and as a formatted string (yyyy/mm/dd) but continually receive the following error : SQL error: [TopSpeed Corp.][TopSpeed ODBC Driver]Invalid operand for operator: =, SQL state S0000 The avail table contains 6 fields, one of which is a date, one a descripive string and the others give numeric availability detail for that particular date (at least, according to the application's documentation that's the structure). Can anyone shed any light on this? What exactly causes that error and what's necessary to correct it? I'm sure it's a basic error but so far I've wasted several hours trying to work it out. My experience is mainly with PHP & MySQL so it's more than likely I'm doing something stupid. Thanks, Jim. -- Signed/Encrypted mail preferred. gnuPG Key ID C16FABDF. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ Sysadmin Say : Nil Coitus Alto ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ in clarion, your query should look like this : !for example mDate is filled with today's date mDate=today() avail{prop:sql}...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC
Hi Ernie, You probably have checked the easy stuff already. But just setting aside major connectivity issues for the moment, have you checked things like the table name? i.e. MSAccess can have spaces in the table names, SAS can't, but SAS has the 'table name'n notation for just such occurances. The failure could be connection or just a no match which will also fail the connection. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Investment Business Intelligence Investment Management & Research Russell Investments 253-439-2367 Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ernie P. Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:58 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC Hi, I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 DATATABLE ="table1" DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; RUN; This works fine. For my second database, using the same code but changing the file/table names, I get the following error: ERROR: Open cursor: ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed. ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details. When do I need to use ODBC and when do I not need it for reading Access databases? Is there some attribute of the 2nd database that I can ...

JDBC thin Drivers for MS Access (no ODBC), any freeware, opensource available?
Hello I am looking for a JDBC thin driver for MS Access. Currently I found only commercial ones which costs around 300 to 500 USD. Does anybody know some freeware, opensource packages? many thanks regards Mark joes wrote: > I am looking for a JDBC thin driver for MS Access. Currently I found > only commercial ones which costs around 300 to 500 USD. Does anybody > know some freeware, opensource packages? I don't know what you mean by a "thin" driver, but to my knowledge the only available free JDBC driver for MS Access is the JDBC-ODBC driver, with Access as an ODBC source. Then of course there's the fact that Access is a very weak database engine. Very weak. Why not use Derby (Java DB) or Postgres or any of the host of actually worthy, free RDBMSes that actually work? -- Lew joes wrote: > Hello > > I am looking for a JDBC thin driver for MS Access. Currently I found > only commercial ones which costs around 300 to 500 USD. Does anybody > know some freeware, opensource packages? > > many thanks regards > Mark The term "thin driver" was made up by Oracle to distinguish their type IV driver that implements their network protocol directly in Java from the type II driver that uses the underlying OCI client software available on the client machine. Since Access is not an actual server and thus does not implement aan actual network-level protocol it is not p...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #2
I'm not sure about that, but I think the SAS-Access-to-MS-ACCESS IS a ODBC connection! You don't need to do anything. The error message is a bit strange: "...ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed...". That has nothing to do with DB2 (the IBM database), but maybe the name of the second DB is DB2.mdb (?). Can't imagine that SAS gets in trouble with that. But it seems to be a synchronization problem. The "open cursor" usually means, that a task has locked the DB or at least a part of it. Don't think that MS-Access has sophisticated tools for locking parts of a DB, so I think that any other program has locked the complete DB. Maybe it is possible to lock at table-level? One question: is that really a second DB? Or is it another table in the same DB? What do you change, the DATABASE and DATATABLE? Or only one of them? Try to rename the whole DB (only a idea). Then any locking should be removed or the rename is impossible... Gerhard On Tue, 5 May 2009 11:58:12 -0400, Ernie P. <aaronevans@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > >I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from >both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: > >PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 > DATATABLE ="table1" > DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; > DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; >RUN; > >This works fine. > >For my second database, using the same co...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #4
I figured you already checked the easy stuff but just makin' sure. Mark :o) -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ernie P. Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:25 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC Hi Mark, All of my tables have underscores in place of spaces. Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #10
Hi, I noticed today that for the database I can successfully read in SAS, under table type it says "Table: Linked Access" For the database that causes the error, it says "Table: Linked ODBC" Thought this information might help generate ideas. Thanks EP ...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #6
Hi, I called the databases DB1 and DB2 just for illustrative purposes. I should have known better than to use DB2. The actual names are something different. They are definitely entirely different databases and tables. I was able to rename the problem database without any issues. Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #7
strange thing... If you start a new SAS session and switch the 2 DBs, is it possible to read DB2 in that case? And do you get the error afterwords in DB1? Maybe that "cursor" is an open (not properly closed) cursor from SAS? Normally a cursor is a buffer which is defined and used in programs to access a DB-table. I used that for DB2 from PL1 and other languages on mainframes. Maybe SAS and / or the ODBC-connection can only handle one cursor at a time? Gerhard On Tue, 5 May 2009 12:29:30 -0400, Aaron Evans <aaronevans@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > >I called the databases DB1 and DB2 just for illustrative purposes. I >should have known better than to use DB2. The actual names are something >different. > >They are definitely entirely different databases and tables. I was able to >rename the problem database without any issues. > >Thanks, >EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #3
Hi Mark, All of my tables have underscores in place of spaces. Thanks, EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #8
Your original message has a log snip that says look to the sas log for details. What does it say? You should be able to have multiple odbc connections one right after the other--they execute one at a time. Or they should, unless MS Access is doing something weird behind the scenes--and the log may be able to tell us that (like, connection refused). CH On Tue, 5 May 2009 11:58:12 -0400, Ernie P. <aaronevans@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > >I have two MS Access 2000 databases on my desktop. I need the data from >both. I use the following code to read a table from the first db: > >PROC IMPORT OUT=table1 > DATATABLE ="table1" > DBMS = ACCESS2000 REPLACE; > DATABASE="C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\db1.mdb"; >RUN; > >This works fine. > >For my second database, using the same code but changing the file/table >names, I get the following error: > >ERROR: Open cursor: ODBC--connection to 'DB2' failed. >ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details. > >When do I need to use ODBC and when do I not need it for reading Access >databases? Is there some attribute of the 2nd database that I can change >so that I don't require ODBC? > >Thanks, >EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #5
could it be a locking problem? What does the renaming of the .mdb file bring, any changes? Gerhard On Tue, 5 May 2009 09:28:38 -0700, Terjeson, Mark <Mterjeson@RUSSELL.COM> wrote: >I figured you already checked the easy stuff >but just makin' sure. > >Mark :o) > > >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of >Ernie P. >Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:25 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC > >Hi Mark, > >All of my tables have underscores in place of spaces. > >Thanks, >EP ...

Re: MS Access: ODBC or NO ODBC #9
Hi, I set MSGLEVEL to 'I' and also specified the PRINTMSGLIST option. I'm unaware of how to get SAS to print more detailed msgs to the log. This has bothered me for a long time since I'm already looking at the SAS LOG when I read "See SAS LOG for details" Thanks, EP ...

MS SQL Server 2000 / MS Access
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. No idea - it depends how big the tables are, what your queries look like, how you execute your queries etc. If you're using stored procedures, for example, then I would expect MSSQL to be faster, as all the processing happens on the server, and it can use indexes, caching etc. The best way to get an answer is simply to test it yourself. Simon ...

Which ODBC Drivers? (Unix SAS/Access to ODBC for Oracle & Informix)
Having read various SAS documentation and called SAS TS I am still less than crystal clear on what I consider to be a straightforward question: We are running SAS 9.1.3 on a Unix Solaris 64bit box. We wish to access Oracle data and Informix data from SAS using SAS/Access to ODBC, thereby eliminating the need to licence two SAS/Access products. The solution does not need to have particularly great performance as we will be using it overnight on small data volumes on an occasional basis. We have a trial SAS/Access to ODBC licence and the module will soon be installed. My questions involve the...

Re: Which ODBC Drivers? (Unix SAS/Access to ODBC for Oracle &
Also consider using OleDb. It is newer and easier to use. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ra Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:18 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Which ODBC Drivers? (Unix SAS/Access to ODBC for Oracle & Informix) Having read various SAS documentation and called SAS TS I am still less than crystal clear on what I consider to be a straightforward question: We are running SAS 9.1.3 on a Unix Solaris 64bit box. We wish to access Oracle data and Informix data from SAS using SAS/Access to ODBC, thereby eliminating the need to licence two SAS/Access products. The solution does not need to have particularly great performance as we will be using it overnight on small data volumes on an occasional basis. We have a trial SAS/Access to ODBC licence and the module will soon be installed. My questions involve the ODBC Drivers/ Managers. 1) Do we need both Driver and Manager for Informix and for Oracle or would one suffice for both databases? 2) Where do we get the Drivers/Managers from? Do Oracle or Informix supply them as part of their database software? 3) Are either of the above 'components' available free? I suspect that we need to purchase the Drivers and Managers. If so I have found that EasySoft and Data-Direct appear to market them. Are there any more out there which can be recommende...

[odbc] Retreiving full unicode data using Access ODBC driver.
I am building a Blog for my own person use, and I would like to be able to use unicode characters outside the range of the ascii set. However, when I use odbc to access table data, Access returns question marks in the place of the character data. Is there any way to set the default encoding of access to "UTF-8," or, alternatively, is there an odbc connection string that I could use to connect to my database that would specify UTF-8 as the encoding? It would also be acceptable to use any other encoding that allowed Access to pass all data through the connection. Hopefully, John "Otac0n" Gietzen On 12 Jan 2006 21:41:35 -0800, SpoonfulofTactic@gmail.com wrote: >I am building a Blog for my own person use, and I would like to be able >to use unicode characters outside the range of the ascii set. However, >when I use odbc to access table data, Access returns question marks in >the place of the character data. > >Is there any way to set the default encoding of access to "UTF-8," or, >alternatively, is there an odbc connection string that I could use to >connect to my database that would specify UTF-8 as the encoding? It >would also be acceptable to use any other encoding that allowed Access >to pass all data through the connection. > >Hopefully, >John "Otac0n" Gietzen Are you talking about a web frontend connecting to an Acess (ie JET) database, or an Access frontend talking to an eg Oracle or S...

ODBC: How to install Access 2.0-Drivers when Access 2003 is installed
Hi I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I know that updating the Access-database is probably the first thought that everybody has, but it's not practicable in this case. So... how to install Access 2.0-drivers when Access 2003 is installed? Thank you! Stefan Serena You probably can't export it (although I hope somebody else can tell you how to do it) directly into Access 2.0. How about exporting your data into some other format that is readily importable into Access 2.0? Linda <StefanSerena@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137438159.285506.172070@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an > unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily > if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of > writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old > Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my > machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I > k...

ODBC access driver
I am working with the Microsoft 6 Visual Studio C++ standartd edition I have an ODBC access driver, and I got it to work in a tester program, but I get C++ mangled names when I try to use an MFC application. Can I get microsoft support for this. I put these statements in a header but it still didn't work.. I would like to ask for a support but I forgot how. extern "C" { SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLFreeEnv(HENV); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLFreeConnect(HDBC); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLDisconnect(HDBC); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLFreeStmt(SQLHSTMT,SQLUSMALLINT); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLBindCol(SQLHSTMT,SQLUSMALLINT,SQLSMALLINT,SQLPOINTER, SQLINTEGER,SQLINTEGER*); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLFetch(SQLHSTMT); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLAllocStmt(SQLHDBC,SQLHSTMT*); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLDriverConnect(SQLHDBC,SQLHWND,SQLTCHAR*,SQLSMALLINT, SQLTCHAR*,SQLSMALLINT,SQLSMALLINT*,SQLUSMALLINT); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLAllocConnect(SQLHENV, SQLHDBC*); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLAllocEnv(SQLHENV*); SQLRETURN SQL_API SQLExecDirect(SQLHSTMT,SQLTCHAR*,SQLINTEGER); e.g. error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLFreeEnv@4 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLFreeConnect@4 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLDisconnect@4 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLFreeStmt@8 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLBindCol@24 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLFetch@4 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLAllocStmt@8 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SQLDriverCon...

Web resources about - MS Access ODBC Driver - comp.lang.php

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

What Did Networks Give Up to Get Access to Trump?
... candidates. As one veteran producer said, “He’ll throw a hand grenade in, and then will come on to us to talk about it.” But access at Trump ...

FBI may be able to access San Bernadino iPhone without Apple's help
... is clearly on the correct side of the encryption-cracking battle, some have sided with the agency. I understand that people want to access the ...

DOJ says it may have a way to access locked iPhone; hearing postponed
... iPhone to postpone a hearing which was scheduled to take place tomorrow. The reason? The DOJ believe it may have discovered a way to access ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access
​Kindle owners: update your devices or risk losing access

Google is Bringing Free Wi-Fi Access to Cuba
... While Google did say that they are in the early stages of “exploring additional possibilities around increasing and improving internet access” ...

Clerk rescinds ban on journalists' access to court motions
MANASSAS, Va. (AP) — A clerk's office in Virginia has ended a five-year policy of denying journalists access to any legal motions filed in the ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

The Public Access Weekly: What's this?
Y'all. This week was SXSW and GDC and we are tired. So let's dive right on in so I can go back to trying to take a nap on my keyboard.