Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?

Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle  the
mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines?   I do not wish to write the
same functions with the three different PHP db functions.

I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which
DBs are supported.  However, I think that it does not support the ones
I need.

Thanks

0
martindb (27)

David wrote:
> Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle  the
> mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines?   I do not wish to write the
> same functions with the three different PHP db functions.
>
> I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which
> DBs are supported.  However, I think that it does not support the ones
> I need.
>
> Thanks

Pear does not directly support Access -- but it supports ODBC and
that'll work, otherwise you could use the PHP ODBC functions.

www.php.net/odbc
http://pear.php.net/package/DB

Avoid the Microsoft SQL Server functions like the damned plague if you
are using Windows for you webserver.  They entirely suck -- I wrote my
own wrapepr for that includes OCI8 MySQL and ODBC seems to work great
with SQL Server.

James
0
starritt (41)
9/7/2005 12:23:26 AM
Hello,

on 09/06/2005 08:22 PM David said the following:
> Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle  the
> mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines?   I do not wish to write the
> same functions with the three different PHP db functions.

You may want to try Metabase that is a long standing PHP database
abstraction focused on total database independence.

Not only it can provide database independence in the database access but
also in the database schema installation as it lets you install database
schemas from a database independence description in a XML format.

It supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL server, Microsoft
Access via ODBC, Informix, Interbase, SQLite, MiniSQL.

http://www.phpclasses.org/metabase

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/

http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/

mlemos (662)

php accessing MS-SQL Server on windows
I will be creating a small web site using php/apache/SQL Server running on a Win2000 server. It sounds as if there a number of alternatives for accessing SQL Server: mssql* functions, ADOdb object, using a ADO COM object, ODBC calls, etc. Has anybody out there evaluated the alternatives for speed, error handling, quality of documentation, etc? TIA Don't use ADO COM--it leaks memory when used in PHP. The mssql_* functions have the problem of truncating varchars longer than 255 characters (need to cast them to text type first), but work fine otherwise. Do not use the MSSQL functions -- they fucking suck, filled with errors and you'll struggle to get long text values out of fields over 255 characters in length. I beat my head on them for weeks before I abandoned MS SQL Server as a PHP database. ADOdb is leaking as Chung Leong said but the ODBC functions are now performing well for me ..... they appear to be the only stable alternative. If you are using the MS SQL Server functions you supposidly bypass the 255 character issue however you'll need some extra software to install and I never managed to get them running. It is worth noting that this is not the fault of PHP but the SQL Server itself -- you can trip similar issues using ASP. James wrote: > Do not use the MSSQL functions -- they fucking suck, filled with errors > and you'll struggle to get long text values out of fields over 255 > characters in length. I beat my head on them ...

Hello all Would it be possible to migrate the MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 2000? My application is using MS Access 2000 as database and as user interface such as forms. Now, I want to migrate the backend database from MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 2000. However, I want to keep the MS Access 2000 interface. Would it be possible? If I migrate the MS Access to SQL Server, would the queries, back-end VBA, macro, tables and forms be affected? Do I need to change the MS Access data type to SQL server supported data type? Which tool I can use to do the migration? Upsizing wizard or exporting the Access database and then importing it to the SQL server? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon This is somewhat easy. Basically you need to port or transfer your Access tables to a SQL DB and then link the Access DB/App. to the SQL tables on the SQL Server. If you keep the table names the same, the code etc shouldn't need altering, bu I would test it first. db55 wrote: > This is somewhat easy. > > Basically you need to port or transfer your Access tables to a SQL DB > and then link the Access DB/App. to the SQL tables on the SQL Server. > If you keep the table names the same, the code etc shouldn't need > altering, bu I would test it first. > If only it were that easy :-) Bon wrote: > Hello all > > Would it be possible to migrate the MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server > 2000? > > My application is using MS Access 2000 as database and a...

General advice needed regarding MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL/PostgreSQL
I am working on two versions of an application, one of which will be a windows forms application (which will need to be redistributable) and the other will be a web application. I have MS Visual Studio 2005 (along with the developer's edition of MS SQL Server), but not MS Access. I also have MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sun's application server, Tomcat and Apache web server. I am working on Windows XP Pro, and have installed the .NET 3 SDK and all relevant related products I could find (e.g. 2 extensions packages for Visual Studio). I have one MS Access database, to which my users should have read only access. I have, and have used, a tool for importing MS Access databases into MySQL. I expect that SQL Server has a similar utility hidden somewhere (where I haven't yet looked, though I HAVE been looking - obviously in the wrong places). I have located a similar utility for importing MS Access databases into PostgreSQL. I have not yet decided which servers to use for the web version, but that is another story, for which I may raise another thread in due course (but I welcome suggestions which may reduce the effort required given required effort for the windows forms app). My problem is for the windows form aplication (intended for use by a single family). I expect to use ADO.NET. The question is, should I import the Access database into MS SQL, and redistribute it, along with MS SQL Server Express (or is that necessary), or distribute it just as an Access database a...

SqlSpec

PHP with MS SQL SERVER: is it suitable?
Hi everybody, Is it suitable using PHP with MS SQL SERVER? I mean, how the performance is? Thank you -- Giacomo On 4/6/2013 12:40 PM, Giacomo M wrote: > Hi everybody, > Is it suitable using PHP with MS SQL SERVER? > > I mean, how the performance is? > > Thank you > Impossible to say without a LOT more information - especially the conditions under which is running. What you're asking is is the performance of a Honda Civic suitable. Sure, for around town and on the highway. But I wouldn't try one on a NASCAR track. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== In article <kjpj66$rf$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Giacomo M <kylnas@tiscali.it> wrote: > Hi everybody, > Is it suitable using PHP with MS SQL SERVER? > > I mean, how the performance is? > > Thank you PHP with MySQL is much more common. PHP is really optimized for the Linux environment. If you get it to work, post what you did. -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored] Michael Vilain wrote: > Giacomo M <kylnas@tiscali.it> wrote: >> Hi everybody, >> Is it suitable using PHP with MS SQL SERVER? >> >> I mean, how the performance is? > > PHP with M...

Php & MS SQL Server
Hi, Can anyone point me how to create a php connection from scrath with a MS SQL Database Server Thx TNG Hi TNG! On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:39:59 GMT, "TNG" <registraties@mail.be> wrote: >Hi, > >Can anyone point me how to create a php connection from scrath with a MS SQL >Database Server > Do you want to know the PHP commands? Look in the MSSQL section of www.php.net? Or how to set up the webserver? Which OS? Jochen -- PHP DB Edit Toolkit -- PHP scripts for building database editing interfaces. http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdbedittk/ ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

How to mirror MySQL database on two servers with PHP?
What is the best way to mirror mysql on a remote server for backup in case the local server is down? > > Why are you asking this in a PHP newsgroup? It has nothing at all to do > with PHP. > What's wrong about using PHP to mirror a MySQL table? :) -- iTech Consulting Services Limited Expert of ePOS solutions Website: http://www.itech.com.hk (IE only) Tel: (852)2325 3883 Fax: (852)2325 8288 kennthompson@gmail.com wrote: > What is the best way to mirror mysql on a remote server for backup in > case the local server is down? > Why are you asking this in a PHP newsgroup? It has nothing at all to do with PHP. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== On Mar 19, 5:22 am, Man-wai Chang <toylet.toy...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Why are you asking this in a PHP newsgroup? It has nothing at all to do > > with PHP. > > What's wrong about using PHP to mirror a MySQL table? :) > > -- > iTech Consulting Services Limited > Expert of ePOS solutions > Website:http://www.itech.com.hk(IE only) > Tel: (852)2325 3883 Fax: (852)2325 8288 Dear Man-Wai, I guess it would be much slower than using the MySQL functionality (e.g. mysqldump) directly. With php you would have to lock your host database, dump the data, unlock the host database, lock the slave database, upload the data, unlock the slave databa...

A webserver (PHP 5) with a few database server (MySQL)
Dear all, Please help~~ I have a problem in connecting my new FC5 webserver (apache 2.2 + php 5.1.4) to a few database servers through the PHP scripts (RH9, FC2, FC3). I have set host privileges correctly for the database servers. It seems that after I migrated the php files (originally in each database server) to the centralised FC5 webserver, it failed to work. Is it because of the PHP5 is compiled with MySQL version 4 +? Since those RH9 / FC2 and FC3 are equipped with only MySQL 3.2x. What I have done: 1. Rebuild the Apache 2.2.0, PHP 5.1.4 with mysql support (both mysqli && mysql) on FC5 webserver 2. Host privileges in each of the database servers. 3. Firewall rules for port 3306 on each server. What is successful: 1. The FC5 webserver is able to connect to its own MySQL server (version 4.x) What is failed: 1. There wasn't any error message from PHP 5 (display through the browser), until I pop into console and type at the prompt let say "php index.php", then all the error message was displayed through the console. Many thanks M. ¥|¥J wrote: > I have a problem in connecting my new FC5 webserver (apache 2.2 + php > 5.1.4) to a few database servers through the PHP scripts (RH9, FC2, FC3) > > [...] > > What is failed: 1. There wasn't any error message from PHP 5 (display > through the browser), until I pop into console and type at the prompt let > say "php index.php", then all the er...

MS SQL Linked Servers(Linking MySQL to MS SQL) Collation problem.
Hello, I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? P?vels Mihailovs (iceravenlv@gmail.com) writes: > I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a > table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and > the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL > server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive > question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. > Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? Since I don't work with MySQL myself, it's difficult to say what is going on. But if MySQL has a notion of collation, and the collation is ucs2_general_ci, it sounds like MySQL returns Unicode data. One would expect that to arrive unscathed. What is you collation on the SQL Server side? The stored procedure sp_serveroption permits you to set options for linked servers, and two of them relates to collations. You could play around with these and see what happens. Please look in Books Online for details. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/techn...

PhP, Access/SQL, Date comparison problem. (I'm new to PhP)
Hi All! I'm fairly new to PhP and basicly trying to learn right now. Now I have a problem - I have a fairly large collection of movies which people keep borrowing from me. And then not returning. So I've put together an Access database with three tables - my media library, a list of friends and email addresses, and a borrow table which uses foreign keys from the other two tables to see who has borrowed what. Borrow Table also has two other fields - the date borrowed, which is set to equal now() inside of access, and the date due, which is set to equal now()+14 - they are both &...

Considerations on Connecting to MS SQL Server from PHP/Linux
After a lot of thought and research, and playing with FreeTDS and InlineTDS, as well as various ODBC connections, I have determined that the fastest and cheapest way to get up and going with PHP on Linux, connecting to MS SQL Server, unless it was already pre-installed by your Linux installation, is to build your own multithreaded TCP socket server on Windows and connect to it through the socket API in PHP on Linux (if you have installed that). I noticed that RH9 comes with PHP 4.2.2, but it doesn't come with the MS SQL connections. It does come with MySQL and PgSQL connections, as well as...

Exporting MS SQL Server or Oracle Databases to MySQL
I also posted similarly in mailing.database.mysql I have created a rather large (60 table database) website dealio in PHP that works with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and presumably any other data base I add to the wrapper functions that I created. All the development was done in Oracle, but now its time to create that large datastructure again in MySQL -- now I've built this all in notepad for Oracle (twice) and built it in SQL Server using the SQL Server import tools (pretty nice) -- is there anything that I can do that to get this datastructure and maybe even the data into MySQL using Oracle/MS SQL Server tools ? James "James Alexander Starritt" <jamesstarrittRemovethefollowingtoemailme@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:403ac257_1@newspeer2.tds.net... > I also posted similarly in mailing.database.mysql > > I have created a rather large (60 table database) website dealio in PHP that > works with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and presumably any other data base I > add to > the wrapper functions that I created. All the development was done in > Oracle, but now its time to create that large datastructure again in > MySQL -- now I've built this all in notepad for Oracle (twice) and built it > in SQL Server using the SQL Server import tools (pretty nice) -- is there > anything that I can do that to get this datastructure and maybe even the > data into MySQL using Oracle/MS SQL Server tools ? SQL Server will permi...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Export relations from SQL Server Database to MS Access
Hi I have to make export of SQL Server Database to MS Access and I have done it with the tables but now I need to transfer(export) the relations, keys and indexes. Can any1 tell me how to read relations,keys and indexes from SQL Server and convert them to MS Access.(it seams that for creation of indexes in MS Access ADOX is the only way but ADOX cannot read all information about keys,indexes from SQL Server.) All I can see is that I have to use SQLDMO to enumarate all realtion/keys/indexes from SQL Server database and use ADOX to create this relations/keys/indexes in MS Access database, but I don't know exact matching attributs of relations/keys/indexes from SQL to Access. Thanks Hi You posted the same question in microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming. If you are not sure about the answers you were given then please do not cross post. John "Bose" <bosejob@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:ztBFc.97111$Ax1.1377116@news20.bellglobal.com... > Hi > I have to make export of SQL Server Database to MS Access and I have > done it with the tables but now I need to transfer(export) the > relations, keys and indexes. Can any1 tell me how to read relations,keys > and indexes from SQL Server and convert them to MS Access.(it seams that > for creation of indexes in MS Access ADOX is the only way but ADOX > cannot read all information about keys,indexes from SQL Server.) > All I can see is that I have to use SQLDMO to enumarate ...

Flash embeded in PHP file accessing Mysql database....HELP
this is my code and what i get... i'm accessing this through this url http://192.168.0.2/php/test2/test.php?user=me@test.ca&subject=test it grabs the correct stuff from the database, but doesn't put it into flash. this is what i have in the flash file... onClipEvent (load) { // assuming you have a personal web server and PHP installed locally loadVariables("http://192.168.0.2/php/test2/test.php", this, "GET"); } named the textboxes, accordingly, 'name', 'email', and 'content' and the php.... <html> <head><...

PHP MySQL Web Development
PHP MySQL Web Development - Why Do You Need a PHP & MySQL ... 20 Aug 2010 ... PHP is web development language. PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor. MySQL is an opensource, SQL Relational Database Management System ... http://childschooledu.blogspot.com/ ...

no connection to ms sql server using IIS 5 and php
Hi, I have tow systems: A) w2k-server sql server 7 IIS 5 php 4.3.3 B) NT 4 IIS 4 php 4.3.3 my problem: I get no connection to the sql-server on system A with the mssql-command, if I run my script on system A with the IIS 5. I always get a timeout. But it works fine, if I run the script on system B using the IIS 4. I use the same php.ini on both systems. Can anybody help?? Christoph ...

Local Access database to shared PHP/MySql hosting export
My client has an MS Access database application on her local machine. I have full access to that in terms of changing the design. I've got a simple PHP/MySql application on shared hosting, so no direct access to the db server. I'd like to give her the facility to export the information in her local Access application to the shared PHP/MySql site. From one command button (or similar) in the Access application. It would be probably be a complete overwrite. That is to say all the information on the shared site would be overwritten with that from the local machine. I'm assuming that I'd have to make an HTTP request to some PHP page which would then run the SQL to delete all the records, then append all the new ones. Is this the right approach? I don't want to spend weeks finding out that this is fundamentally flawed in some way. The client has an ADSL connection. Yours, Mike MacSween In article <42b3eb4c$0$38038$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>, "Mike MacSween" <mike.macsween.getlostspammers@btinternet.com> wrote: > My client has an MS Access database application on her local machine. I have > full access to that in terms of changing the design. > > I've got a simple PHP/MySql application on shared hosting, so no direct > access to the db server. > > I'd like to give her the facility to export the information in her local > Access application to the shared PHP/MySql site. From one comma...

DBForms from MS Access to PHP + MySQL 2.1.1
DBForms from MS Access to PHP + MySQL is an application to convert Microsoft Access databases (mdb) and MS Access Forms to AJAX based WEB page using PHP and MySQL. Now you can easily convert forms and their elements to Web page, filling form fields with data from the fields of your Access tables. During conversion elements' position, color pallette and fields type are saved. You have an opportunity to place your MS Access forms at Web page directly via FTP connection or save your forms to a local folder at your computer for future uploading. DBForms from MS Access to PHP+MySQL supp...

Reading an MS Access Database file on *NIX platform using PHP
I'm building a small web application for a friend using PHP. He'd like to use MS Access to keep the data in, and update the data on the site by FTP'ing Access files he edits on his machine up to the web host. The web host is unix-based (FreeBSD, slightly hacked by Verio, I believe), so this means COM functions aren't available. ODBC was my next thought, but I've never used it, and there are a few things I don't understand. Setting up a DSN is one of them -- apparently this isn't as simple as constructing a string, and all the tutorials I can find seem to involve ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Web resources about - Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access? - comp.lang.php

Abstraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abstraction is a process by which concepts are derived from the usage and classification of literal ("real" or "concrete") concepts, first principles ...

Abstraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abstraction in its main sense is a conceptual process by which general rules and concepts are derived from the usage and classification of specific ...

The Power of Abstraction - YouTube
Author: Barbara Liskov Presented as a Keynote during OOPSLA'09, 24th ACM SIGPLAN conference on Object oriented programming systems languages ...

Art review: Nancy Sever Gallery, Canberra - Andrew Christofides, Mark Galea and Donald Laycock's Abstraction ...
... are united in their conviction that art celebrates realities of its own making. Andrew Christofides, Mark Galea and Donald Laycock: Abstraction ...

Abstractions fill the gap
A temporary art space is giving local artists the chance to show their works, Emma Macdonald writes

The Social Graph: An Imperfect Abstraction or an Evolutionary Dead End?
... of work. The questions are actually (i) can a product add value to people’s lives without needing to add the complexity of modeling that abstraction ...

Using Functions to Make Better Abstractions
... in object-oriented land, so I grew accustomed to attaching patterns to object-oriented features. In particular, when I heard the word "abstraction," ...

The Abstraction Of Facebook Pages As An Embeddable Product And The Community Platform API - SocialTimes ...
Mark Zuckerberg has said on a number of instances that the future of Facebook does not exist on Facebook.com. The emphasis is on Facebook as ...

Why is the use of abstractions (such as LINQ) so taboo?
Stack Exchange This Q&A is part of a weekly series of posts highlighting common questions encountered by technophiles and answered by users ...

Cute Little Abstractions
... Also, the count and increment methods contain a bit of duplication. More importantly, the count and increment methods represent a missed abstraction. ...