Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?

Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle  the
mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines?   I do not wish to write the
same functions with the three different PHP db functions.

I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which
DBs are supported.  However, I think that it does not support the ones
I need.

Thanks

0
martindb (27)

David wrote:
> Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle  the
> mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines?   I do not wish to write the
> same functions with the three different PHP db functions.
>
> I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which
> DBs are supported.  However, I think that it does not support the ones
> I need.
>
> Thanks

Pear does not directly support Access -- but it supports ODBC and
that'll work, otherwise you could use the PHP ODBC functions.

www.php.net/odbc
http://pear.php.net/package/DB

Avoid the Microsoft SQL Server functions like the damned plague if you
are using Windows for you webserver.  They entirely suck -- I wrote my
own wrapepr for that includes OCI8 MySQL and ODBC seems to work great
with SQL Server.

James
0
starritt (41)
9/7/2005 12:23:26 AM
Hello,

on 09/06/2005 08:22 PM David said the following:
> Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle  the
> mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines?   I do not wish to write the
> same functions with the three different PHP db functions.

You may want to try Metabase that is a long standing PHP database
abstraction focused on total database independence.

Not only it can provide database independence in the database access but
also in the database schema installation as it lets you install database
schemas from a database independence description in a XML format.

It supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL server, Microsoft
Access via ODBC, Informix, Interbase, SQLite, MiniSQL.

http://www.phpclasses.org/metabase

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos