f



PHP games to learn PHP

Hi,

I am learning PHP, but it can be kind of boring. Are there any games where
you use PHP programming to play the game?  This way you learn how to use
PHP and it is fun. Does anybody know?


Nick
0
mark1822 (191)
6/13/2004 6:39:40 AM
comp.lang.php 32646 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
1790 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

"Nick Mudge" wrote
> I am learning PHP, but it can be kind of boring. Are there any games where
> you use PHP programming to play the game?  This way you learn how to use
> PHP and it is fun. Does anybody know?

Yes. Write something (a game, for example) in PHP. To make it even more
entertaining, you could add a touch of javascript.
Ivo



0
no4396 (62)
6/13/2004 3:15:00 PM
"Ivo" <no@thank.you> wrote in message
news:40cc70fe$0$62706$ee9da40f@news.wanadoo.nl...
> "Nick Mudge" wrote
> > I am learning PHP, but it can be kind of boring. Are there any games
where
> > you use PHP programming to play the game?  This way you learn how to use
> > PHP and it is fun. Does anybody know?
>
> Yes. Write something (a game, for example) in PHP. To make it even more
> entertaining, you could add a touch of javascript.
> Ivo

Since all games are input, output and state engines, the PHP bit is limited
to the latter. You get to do the input/output in something else (browsers,
JScript, etc) and practise doing the state engine code in PHP. Something
like an old-style play-by-mail is perfect. Witness something like
http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi for ideas that do that.

Garp


0
garp7 (186)
6/13/2004 4:58:56 PM
Garp wrote:
> "Ivo" <no@thank.you> wrote in message
> news:40cc70fe$0$62706$ee9da40f@news.wanadoo.nl...
> 
>>"Nick Mudge" wrote
>>
>>>I am learning PHP, but it can be kind of boring. Are there any games
> 
> where
> 
>>>you use PHP programming to play the game?  This way you learn how to use
>>>PHP and it is fun. Does anybody know?
>>
>>Yes. Write something (a game, for example) in PHP. To make it even more
>>entertaining, you could add a touch of javascript.
>>Ivo
> 
> 
> Since all games are input, output and state engines, the PHP bit is limited
> to the latter. You get to do the input/output in something else (browsers,
> JScript, etc) and practise doing the state engine code in PHP. Something
> like an old-style play-by-mail is perfect. Witness something like
> http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi for ideas that do that.
> 
> Garp

On what way is the PHP limited? Ok, flashy screens are not possible, but 
it works quite well for building for example a Formula 1 game or a 
football game. See http://www.mikewes.com/footie and 
http://www.mikewes.com/formule1 . These are two games I designed.

Mike

0
6/15/2004 12:41:28 PM
"Mike" <mikesjunk1@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:40ceee79$0$48959$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Garp wrote:
> > "Ivo" <no@thank.you> wrote in message
> > news:40cc70fe$0$62706$ee9da40f@news.wanadoo.nl...
> >
> >>"Nick Mudge" wrote
> >>
> >>>I am learning PHP, but it can be kind of boring. Are there any games
> >
> > where
> >
> >>>you use PHP programming to play the game?  This way you learn how to
use
> >>>PHP and it is fun. Does anybody know?
> >>
> >>Yes. Write something (a game, for example) in PHP. To make it even more
> >>entertaining, you could add a touch of javascript.
> >>Ivo
> >
> >
> > Since all games are input, output and state engines, the PHP bit is
limited
> > to the latter. You get to do the input/output in something else
(browsers,
> > JScript, etc) and practise doing the state engine code in PHP. Something
> > like an old-style play-by-mail is perfect. Witness something like
> > http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi for ideas that do that.
> >
> > Garp
>
> On what way is the PHP limited? Ok, flashy screens are not possible, but
> it works quite well for building for example a Formula 1 game or a
> football game. See http://www.mikewes.com/footie and
> http://www.mikewes.com/formule1 . These are two games I designed.
>
> Mike
>

I'll take a look, I'm intrigued. 8) (Eek, Dutch...) They're as I predicted,
technology-wise; wish I understood enough to get to know the games
themselves!

I only say "limited" because it's true; I'd like to maybe see a DirectX
engine and threading modules so we can do thick client games in it one day,
but til then, you're a state engine and little else, relying on other
technologies for the whizz (which it's great at tying together). It's not
called "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor" for nothing. But bolt together a
database, some Flash MX and the internet and you've got the makings of
something interesting.

Garp


0
garp7 (186)
6/15/2004 10:11:20 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Tutorial on php (or learning php)
I need to learn php and MySQL quickly to support an app. Realizing experience is the best teacher, and this takes time, does anyone ahve any recommendations on: books tutorials web sites samples to help me get going? Thanks. Hugh Williams and David Lane have written a book called "Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL'' which you can obtain from Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000413/hughwilliams-20/103-0647779-6796618. This book has its own website at http://www.webdatabasebook.com/. You can also download the code and install it locally. HTH. ...

PHP Training Institute In Delhi, Live Projects on PHP. Short Term PHP Courses, PHP Scripts, PHP Training with Live Projects.
Vserve Global offers short term PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor Training Course, which is a widely used, general-purpose scripting language that was originally designed for web development, to produce dynamic web pages. It can be embedded into HTML and generally runs on a web server, which needs to be configured to process PHP code and create web page content from it. It can be deployed on most web servers and on almost every operating system and platform free of charge.PHP is installed on over 20 million websites and 1 million web servers. TOPICS:- >> Core PHP Language >> HTML, Cascad...

PHP within PHP...
I took over the support of a website that is set up something like this inside one of the pages: include_once("header.php"); <?php //to get the content of the page they do this: $content = mysql_query("select content etc...); echo $content; ?> include_once("footer.php"); I am having problems evaluating any php that is used in the mysql content. Is there a way to get the mysql withing the mysql to run? Thank you for your time, Mandragon On Sep 17, 12:56 pm, Mandrago...@gmail.com wrote: > I took over the support of a website that is set up something li...

php outside php (?)
Sounds weird, i know. What i want/wonder is the following: PHP can do the next: <?php if($foo == 'bar') { ?> Ow yeah, foo is bar! <?php }; ?> But how can i do the following: <?php $foo= ?> this is what foo looks like. <?php }; ?> This way i could edit the content of $foo in DW's design-view. I hope it's clear enough for you all to understand... Greetings frizzle. frizzle wrote: > But how can i do the following: > > <?php > > $foo= > > ?> > this is what foo looks like. > &l...

php to php obj
Hi All, Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object files in deploying the files to other's server like java classes are deployed? Thanks in advance --AR John7481 <arjohn7481@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted: > Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object files in > deploying the files to other's server like java classes are deployed? To what end? Do you want a PHP obfuscator? They tend not to be needed - since the code remains on the server. Do you want a PHP squeezer? Again - since PHP remains on the server that is of reduced importanc...

Best PHP Training | PHP Development Training | PHP Training Institute
Tops Technologies provides php and mysql certification courses in ahmedabad, baroda, surat, Rajkot, Udaipur, Gujarat, india.PHP Training with MySQL is an introductory course in the PHP and MySQL technology. Mysql and php training course, php for beginners, sql training courses, PHP Training courses, php courses, mysql training courses, php mysql course. For More Details :- http://www.tops-int.com ...

Can I learn PHP 5 with PHP 4 book?
Hi I would like to learn PHP and I know we are at version 5. A friend let me use 2 of his books but they cover PHP 4. Is that ok for starting to learn the language? Or should I go straight with a PHP 5 book ? Thanks a lot Patrick varois83 wrote: > Hi > > I would like to learn PHP and I know we are at version 5. A friend > let me use 2 of his books but they cover PHP 4. Is that ok for > starting to learn the language? Or should I go straight with a PHP 5 > book ? > > Thanks a lot > > Patrick > I'd recommend going straight for a PHP 5 book. Whi...

Send array from php to php
HI every one I' try to send array from web page to php file but no data are show I'm using session to store data and this is my code //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// $data = $cart_items; session_register('data'); foreach ($cart_items as $cart_item) { echo "<tr>"; echo " <td><span class='style2'>".$cart_item->name."</span></td>"; echo " <td><span class='style2'>".$cart_item->description."</ span></td>"...

PHP with Indian PHP Developers
Dear all, If you want to make a PHP web application, or need to <a href="http:// www.virtueinfo.com/php-developers/hire-php-programmers-developers-india.htm">Hire PHP Developer</a>contact a leading <a href="http://www.virtueinfo.com/ php-developers/php-web-development.htm"> PHP Web Development Compnay</ a> <a href="http://www.virtueinfo.com/php-developers/php-web-programming- php-developers-india.htm">Offshore PHP web development India</a> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:37:02 -0800 (PST), Virtue Info wrote: > Dear all, > >...

Php constants in php.ini
I am trying to set user_agent = PHP_VERSION in php.ini. In my php.ini the instructions say that you can use constants in the php.ini file. The only constants I can get to work, though, are the error level constants like E_ALL, E_ERROR, E_WARNING, etc., ... Is anyone aware of some sort of trick to getting others to work? (I was thinking it would be nice to have the user agent string used by my Php scripts to use PHP_VERSION in the string.) -- ***************************** Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it is common. *****...

php notification through php sdk
Hi there I want to build a e-commerce website similar to wish.com and I have chosen opencast as my framework of choice. Now wish has a feature that when you save a product in wish and if you are logged in with Facebook or gmail all of your friends will get a notification that your friends has saved a item on wish. I want a similar feature on my site Now I know Facebook provide a sdk JavaScript and php and wish might be using something similar but I am using open cart can I open home page or product page in the sdk Thanks On 3/20/2015 7:30 AM, apoorv.kanungo@gmail.com wrote: &g...

Does PHP need the .php extension ?
Hi guys, When I use PHP I give my file the .php extension. I always wondered if it could be an .htm page with a <script> block that the PHP resides in, the same way you would do JavaScript. If you can do it that way are there any benifits to that method ? Take care, Cyrus "Cyrus D." <satan@invalid.org> writes: > Hi guys, > > When I use PHP I give my file the .php extension. I always wondered if it > could be an .htm page with a <script> block that the PHP resides in, the > same way you would do JavaScript. If you can do it that way are the...

PHP 4 and PHP 5
What is main difference between PHP 4 and PHP 5? Is possible to use object programming apporach with PHP4? Is possible to use Stored Procedures in Oracle with PHP4? Where I can get more informations? Thanks in advance "ablyplus" <ablyplus@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cr5n6g$5bp$1@ls219.htnet.hr... > What is main difference between PHP 4 and PHP 5? take a look at http://www.zend.com/php5/ > Is possible to use object programming apporach with PHP4? Yes. The new features in PHP 5 are mainly cosmetic (e.g. visibility). With PHP 4 you can define classes with me...

PHP does not parse .PHP files
I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. With CLI, I am able to execute my .php files. For example, if I type "php phpinfo.php" , this works fine on my system. If I put the phpinfo.php file is in /var/www/html and I try to access it through the browser, I get the content of the file and not the execution of the file. Instead of display the info of PHP, I got the text of the file as: <?php phpinfo(); ?> Why? Thanks Phong Ho wrote: >I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. > >With CLI, I am able to execute my ....

Web resources about - PHP games to learn PHP - comp.lang.php

Eurogamer.net • video game reviews, news, previews, forums, and videos • Eurogamer.net
Eurogamer Network Ltd. uses cookies on its websites in order to provide enhanced functionality to users, such as user accounts and saved preferences. ...

Atari video game burial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Atari video game burial was a mass burial of unsold video game cartridges , consoles, and computers in a New Mexico landfill site, undertaken ...

Ads for Ads: Marketers Air TV Commercials for Their Big Game Spots
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots, new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv, a company that catalogs, tags and ...

Nintendo’s second mobile game will feature a ‘familiar’ character
While we know a lot about Nintendos first mobile game, Miitomo, the console maker took time to offer a quick tease about the second offeringduring ...

Forget Jon Snow, new Game of Thrones season will bring ‘so many shocks’
Jon Snow still is the hottest Game of Thrones topic, but as we get closer to Season 6 more interesting details have begun to pop up. For example, ...

Check out Microsoft's concept for watching NFL games with its futuristic HoloLens goggles
... Microsoft unveiled a concept video that shows how its futuristic HoloLens holographic goggles could change the experience of watching NFL games. ...

Lego Star Wars game teaser lovingly mocks 'Force Awakens' trailer
The new Lego Star Wars game gets its parody on with a funny take on the very first "Force Awakens" movie trailer.

You’ll love this utterly charming math puzzle game
I’m not a fan of abstract puzzle games, which makes it quite a surprise how much I’m enjoying twofold inc., a fairly abstract puzzle game that ...

Former Dallas Cowboys Running Back Allegedly Bet On NFL Games
Former Dallas Cowboys Running Back Allegedly Bet On NFL Games

NBC Orders Comedy Pilots Starring Comedians Vladimir Caamaño & Sebastian Maniscalco, Game Show/Comedy ...
Following the promising start of The Carmichael Show, NBC is eying two more multi-camera comedy shows toplined by comedians that are informed ...

Resources last updated: 2/3/2016 12:05:58 PM