PHP mail() function failing to send mail

Hi everyone,

Our setup:  PHP 4.3.11, FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE, Sendmail 8.1, 1 host
environment, 2 jails.

Our problem:  While we can send email from the command line just fine
in one of the jails, we cannot use the php mail() command to send email
using sendmail at all.  The function, when executed, does absolutely
nothing.  No error, no reports to the maillog, nothing.

I've read somewhere that it's "not possible" to send mail using the php
mail() function within a freebsd jail, but i'm nearly certain we have
it working this way on another server, but can't seem to figure out the
issue.

Anyone know any tests we can do to learn more?

Thanks.

0
tencip (9)

Check out the log messages from your sendmail...
If it's not logging anything, try increasing (temporarily) the log
level (24 should be more than enough)
Probability says that you're running into a permission issue with
sendmail.
Probably your PHP/Apache user is not allowed to relay email.

I'm not sure this might apply since I am not familiar to BSD, but, had
similar problems with a RH machine just a few days ago

0
bugzstuff (9)

php mail() not sending to mail Clients (ie, Outlook, Apple Mail, thunderbird, etc..)
I have a send mail script on my site that. The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients like Outlook, Mail, etc...) Is this a problem with the script, or is it something I must change in php ini file? Thanks in advance for any help. here is the code. (im using it in conjunction with javascript for some AJAX stuff) if(!isset($_GET['action'])) { die("You must not access this page directly!"); //Just to stop people from visiting contact.php normally } /* Now lets trim up the input before sending it */ $name = trim($_GET['name']); //The senders name $to = trim($_GET['maily']); //The senders email address $place = trim($_GET['place']); //The senders email address $subject = "you have recieved mail"; $headers = "From:$name"; $message = "{$name} deemed you worthy of receiving the following information/exchange from Trumpet.\n\n Follow This Link {$place}"; mail($to, $subject, $message,$headers); //a very simple send echo 'contactarea|<p class="sent">Article Sent!</p>'; //now lets update the "contactarea" div on the contact.html page. The contactarea| tell's the javascript which div to update. ?> shybe wrote: > I have a send mail script on my site that. > > The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients > like Outlook, Mail, etc...) > > Is this a problem with the script, or is it something ...

sending mass email fom php using mail function
I have to send more than 100s of email using a php code if i use mail function whether it will be sent to spam or inbox. If it is sent to spam which is the other way to send mass email from php. i have tried to sent email to 4 to 5 email ids it is going for inbox only but i have a doubt if i send it to more than 100 email id it may go for spam akuva wrote: > I have to send more than 100s of email using a php code if i use mail > function whether it will be sent to spam or inbox. If it is sent to > spam which is the other way to send mass email from php. i have tried > to sent email to 4 to 5 email ids it is going for inbox only but i > have a doubt if i send it to more than 100 email id it may go for spam > In addition to what Rik indicated, whether your email ends up in the inbox or spam filter has nothing to do with the use of the mail() function. Once the message has been passed to your MTA, there is nothing about how it originated. Rather, it is the headers (most of which you supply), content, source domain and ip which determine if its spam or not (by most spam filters, at least). Compare the headers of your email with that of accepted email. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== ...

php not sending mail
Hello All, I am trying to send an email from a php page, but it always get stuck in the mail queue as the user that apache is running as, although i can send emails from php scripts Any suggestions ? Thanks, onlineviewer wrote: > Hello All, > > I am trying to send an email from a php page, but it always get stuck > in the mail queue > as the user that apache is running as, although i can send emails from > php scripts > > Any suggestions ? > > Thanks, > Hi, What do you mean when you say 'gets stuck in the mail queue'? Does that mean is never gets out, or that receiving server (smtp) needs a little time to get it delivered? Regards, Erwin Moller onlineviewer wrote: > Hello All, > > I am trying to send an email from a php page, but it always get stuck > in the mail queue > as the user that apache is running as, although i can send emails from > php scripts > > Any suggestions ? > > Thanks, > Sorry, my crystal ball is broken, so I can't see your code. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== ...

about send mail with php
Hello, I developed a PHP to send confirmation mail to my users. The users complainthat the mail goes to the SPAM section each time. What is the reason for this? I tested it several times, and I always get the same result. The mail always gets spammed. This is very bad because if a user doesn't get the confirmation, they won't even think that it's in their spam mail. The mail would therefore get stuck in their spam mail and I'll lose my clients. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks! On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:36:55 +0200, Marise wrote: > Hello, > > I developed a PHP to send confirmation mail to my users. > The users complainthat the mail goes to the SPAM section each time. > What is the reason for this? I tested it several times, and I always get > the same result. The mail always gets spammed. This is very bad because > if a user doesn't get the confirmation, they won't even think that it's in > their > spam mail. The mail would therefore get stuck in their spam mail and I'll > lose my clients. > > Looking forward to your reply. > > Thanks! > Host your website in a better neighborhood, maybe? -- Windows is a pane in the ass.... Marise wrote: > Hello, > > I developed a PHP to send confirmation mail to my users. > The users complainthat the mail goes to the SPAM section each time. > What is the reason for this? I tested it several times, and I always get > the same resul...

php mail function
i have set up a feedback form that emails the results. my web host says it will not work if the email is coming from nobody. this is their answer "you are just going to have to learn to tell your scripts to generate th emails as someone@yourdmain - not just as nobody." does anyone know how to make this happen? Quinonez wrote: > i have set up a feedback form that emails the results. my web host > says it will not work if the email is coming from nobody. this is > their answer "you are just going to have to learn to tell your > scripts to generate th emails as someon...

sending mass email fom php using mail function #2
I have to send more than 100s of email using a php code if i use mail function whether it will be sent to spam or inbox. If it is sent to spam which is the other way to send mass email from php. i have tried to sent email to 4 to 5 email ids it is going for inbox only but i have a doubt if i send it to more than 100 email id it may go for spam On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:56:00 +0200, akuva <shankar.nsm@gmail.com> wrote: > I have to send more than 100s of email using a php code if i use mail > function whether it will be sent to spam or inbox. If it is sent to > spam which is the other way to send mass email from php. i have tried > to sent email to 4 to 5 email ids it is going for inbox only but i > have a doubt if i send it to more than 100 email id it may go for spam The mail() function isn't really suitable for hundreds of mails (well, unless you decide to put them all at once in a To/CC/BCC header, in which you're just asking to consider you as a spammer). For the sending of individual emails the manual has this to say: [quote] Note: It is worth noting that the mail() function is not suitable for larger volumes of email in a loop. This function opens and closes an SMTP socket for each email, which is not very efficient. For the sending of large amounts of email, see the � PEAR::Mail, and � PEAR::Mail_Queue packages. [/quote] So either use them, or build your own using fsockopen. Then again, hundreds isn't that much relatively...

PHP mail() function is sends emails to sendmail but they never get received
Hi... I got a really a nasty problem with my mail() function... I have a form mailer on my website which is using the mail() funcion of my own webserver. After sending a message the mail script is telling me that the email was send correct. But nobody is receiving it. I have tried a lot of different domains incase that the email address which I have used been blocked because of SPAM. The mail() function has worked for long time.....and I did nothing changed on the configuration. What is the reason for this? I couldn't find anything information regarding this problem. Thanks for your he...

when receiving the mail(php mail function), the variable's last value is getting converted to $ or # replacing the digit

PHP mail function #2
Hello, can any one help me with the following issue: I use PHP mail function to send emails, when I receive these emails I find some exclamation marks (!) added in the text, this is weird. Can any one help me. Hello, on 02/13/2008 05:39 PM Ahmad said the following: > Hello, can any one help me with the following issue: > > I use PHP mail function to send emails, when I receive these > emails I find some exclamation marks (!) added in the text, this is > weird. Can any one help me. It seems you have lines in your messages that need to be encoded properly with quoted-printable encoding. You may want to try this MIME message compose and sending class that can do that for you without having to learn too much about message encoding standards: http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage -- Regards, Manuel Lemos PHP professionals looking for PHP jobs http://www.phpclasses.org/professionals/ PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP http://www.phpclasses.org/ ...

PHP mail() function and maillog
Hello. Under linux, when I use the mail() function in php there seems to be no record of it in any mail log file or system messages. Anyone know where the log of mails sent might be stored? I know the code to send the mail is running, but I want to confirm that the server is trying to send out the mails. Thanks, Dave. -- Fermat was right. David Gillen wrote: > Hello. > > Under linux, when I use the mail() function in php there seems to be no record > of it in any mail log file or system messages. Anyone know where the log of > mails sent might be stored? I know the code to send the mail is running, but > I want to confirm that the server is trying to send out the mails. > > Thanks, > Dave. The default location of the mail log on linux machines is: /var/log/mail ...

PHP mail function is spammer?
I don't understand why any message sent with mail functions is automatically stored in the spam by Gmail. Sillaba While the city slept, Sillaba atona (NOSPAM@tin.it) feverishly typed... > I don't understand why any message sent with mail functions is > automatically stored in the spam by Gmail. > There could be many and varied reasons... Are you setting a return path? And is that the same as the address the mail "comes" from? Does the mail you are sending have a "from" address that corresponds to the server you are sending from? Does the mail you are sending have anything in it that could be construed as spam? eg, html email with much graphics, little text, etc Is the server you are running off on any spam lists? There are more issues to consider, but I can't think of any right now (just come back from the pub ;-) ) Theoretically, if you are sending a few emails out from the mail function, you shouldn't suffer too much, unless some of, or all, or more than, the above are an issue. Hope that helps, Nige -- Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk Mail address will bounce. nigel@DOG.nigenet.org.uk | Take the DOG. out! "Your mother ate my dog!", "Not all of him!" On 2007-08-01, nice.guy.nige <nigel_moss@deadspam.com> wrote: > Are you setting a return path? And is that the same as the address the mail > "comes" from? > Does the mail you are sending have a "from" address th...

php send mail problem

php mail() function does nothing
Hey everyone, We've got FreeBSD 5.3, with Sendmail running. All we want to do is to get sendmail to send emails to another server for actual outbound email. We've got a very basic php script which utilizes the mail() function, but for some reason, sendmail is never getting the command from PHP. So, we can successfully send email using sendmail from the command prompt, but when it comes to using the PHP mail() function, nothing happens. Not even an error message from PHP. We have in our php.ini a direct path all the way to sendmail configured. I'm at a loss as to why PHP mail() isn't even spitting back an error. The maillog shows nothing from PHP. Are there any variables, extensions that need to be compiled, etc to make mail() work? Thanks!! tencip: > > We have in our php.ini a direct path all the way to sendmail > configured. I'm at a loss as to why PHP mail() isn't even spitting > back an error. The maillog shows nothing from PHP. > > Are there any variables, extensions that need to be compiled, etc to > make mail() work? Did you set sendmail_from? That may be it as well. Also perform a trace of sendmail when PHP goes to send an email. Also note from the manual: " For the Mail functions to be available, PHP must have access to the sendmail binary on your system during compile time. If you use another mail program, such as qmail or postfix, be sure to use the appropriate sendmail wrappers that come wit...

sending PHP mail from my laptop?
I can set the host and port, but I don't see that there is anywhere to specify the username and password for an email account on a remote server. Is that do-able? RJ_32 wrote: > I can set the host and port, but I don't see that there is anywhere to specify > the username and password for an email account on a remote server. > > Is that do-able? > Not with the mail command. However, the PHPMailer class as Micha suggests can handle such things (and more) for you. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== Jerry Stuckle wrote: > RJ_32 wrote: >> I can set the host and port, but I don't see that there is anywhere to >> specify >> the username and password for an email account on a remote server. >> >> Is that do-able? >> > > Not with the mail command. > > However, the PHPMailer class as Micha suggests can handle such things > (and more) for you. > yes, thanks, easy to use. However, to enable SSL, I had to add to my php.ini: extension=php_openssl.dll and also to place a copy of that dll into the .../ext directory. It's apparently already finding libeay32.dll because my system path still points to the old PHP installation ...

PHP mail () function configuration
hi every body, i have a problem which is when i was checking my mail() form it work fine but the problem is that the form configuration is not set correctly, in details: the from var is not working and the from is set to be my host provider email is the sender, so they told me to configure the php.ini file and i dont know what is this file and how to configure it. thanks in advance shror www.s7els7.com www.beachtoursegypt.com www.mobidp.com On Feb 22, 2:32 am, "shror" <shahi...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi every body, > > i have a problem which is when i was checking my mail() form it work > fine but the problem is that the form configuration is not set > correctly, in details: > the from var is not working and the from is set to be my host provider > email is the sender, so they told me to configure the php.ini file and > i dont know what is this file and how to configure it. > > thanks in advance > > shrorwww.s7els7.comwww.beachtoursegypt.comwww.mobidp.com The php.ini file is your php configuration file, if you are on windows it should be in you c:\windows directory, if you are on linux it should be on you /etc directory (I could be wrong on this, haven't configured php on linux in awhile), not sure where it would go in Mac OS X On 22 Feb, 10:32, "shror" <shahi...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi every body, > > i have a problem which is when i was checking my mail() form it work > fine but the prob...

PHP mail() function problem
Hi all, I want to send mails using php mail() function, my web server is apache on linux i just add this line to my code ini_set('sendmail_from', 'users@must.edu.eg'); i'm sending emails to users at the same domain ....@must.edu.eg but it didn't send mail also it don't give any errors but i'm sure that mail server is working coz when i'm trying to send mails to the same domain through outlook it works well. i tried to send to hotmail it sends just one mail but when i tried again the same happened no mails sent with no error. where do u think the problem???? noha khalifa wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to send mails using php mail() function, my web server is > apache on linux i just add this line to my code > ini_set('sendmail_from', 'users@must.edu.eg'); > > i'm sending emails to users at the same domain ....@must.edu.eg but it > didn't send mail also it don't give any errors > > but i'm sure that mail server is working coz when i'm trying to send > mails to the same domain through outlook it works well. > > i tried to send to hotmail it sends just one mail but when i tried > again the same happened no mails sent with no error. > > where do u think the problem???? You didn't show your code, so it's impossible to tell. You shouldn't be using ini_set for 'sendmail_from' - that's just a default value. Rather, you should be ...

Problem with Mail()
In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following code to successfully write to a database and also send out an email. For some reason, when I take this code to work, it still writes to the database but doesn't send mail so we're (me and the I.T. guy) trying to find out whether it's the difference between PHP 4 or something else with email security. Does anyone here have experience with mail() in PHP 4 to know whether PHP 4 had issues with mail() that were fixed with PHP 5 ???? We've been chasing this from the mail server side at work when perhaps its some nuance between versions of PHP. Appreciate any help... Chris /* > $to = stripslashes($to); */ $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; $subject = stripslashes($subject); $text = stripslashes($text); /* > mail('$to',$subject, $text); */ mail($to, $subject, $text, "From: admin@localhosthome.com"); cover wrote: > $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; > Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF here. JW On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:33:57 +0100, "Janwillem Borleffs" <jw@jwscripts.com> wrote: >cover wrote: >> $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; >> > >Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF >here. Thanks for the reply. I tried it after reading your post and no change... Thanks again, cover wrote: > In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following co...

php mail() send to outside addresses
Howdy, I have successfully setup my php.ini file on a web server to communicate with my Microsoft Exchange Mail server, and can test the ability to send mail using the mail() function to internet mail addresses. (mailboxes on our network), However, when attempting to send mail to an outside address (ex: someone at gmail dot com) the mail() returns "failed". Here's my setup. Windows 2003 IIs 6.0 webserver Windows 2003 box running Exchange 2003 Is it a change I need to make to php.ini to allow mail to outside e- mail domains? Is it a setting I need to change within Exchange? Or is it simply a limitation of mail() to not be able to send mail to outside domains? Greatly appreciate your responses! Chris xx75vulcan wrote: > Howdy, > > I have successfully setup my php.ini file on a web server to > communicate with my Microsoft Exchange Mail server, and can test the > ability to send mail using the mail() function to internet mail > addresses. (mailboxes on our network), > > However, when attempting to send mail to an outside address (ex: > someone at gmail dot com) the mail() returns "failed". > > Here's my setup. > Windows 2003 IIs 6.0 webserver > Windows 2003 box running Exchange 2003 > > > Is it a change I need to make to php.ini to allow mail to outside e- > mail domains? Is it a setting I need to change within Exchange? Or is > it simply a limitation of mail() to not be able to send ...

Mailing from PHP
I have a Google apps account, that I would like to use to email (extracting information from a MySQL table). The Google apps account allows me to use it as an SMTP mailer. Are there any recommendations by those who have experience in this space (including using an alternative to Google), for mailings (not spam, just managing an event), from a MySQL table, and PHP? Hello, on 01/14/2010 04:51 PM JustWondering said the following: > I have a Google apps account, that I would like to use to email > (extracting information from a MySQL table). The Google apps account > allows me to use it as an SMTP mailer. Are there any recommendations > by those who have experience in this space (including using an > alternative to Google), for mailings (not spam, just managing an > event), from a MySQL table, and PHP? You may want to try the MIME e-mail message class that has support for SMTP delivery and SMTP authentication that Google requires. http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage There is an article here precisely about sending e-mail from PHP applications via Gmail (Google Apps), Hotmail and Yahoo SMTP servers. http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/package/9/post/1-Sending-email-using-SMTP-servers-of-Gmail-Hotmail-or-Yahoo-with-PHP.html You will also need these classes: http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass http://www.phpclasses.org/sasl -- Regards, Manuel Lemos Find and post PHP jobs http://www.phpclasses.org/jobs/ PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components wri...

php mail( )
This code appears in a mail( ) script that sends me notice of errors. $message .= "User Email: $erruseremail"."?Subject=Blah Blah Blah"."\r\n\n"; When the email arrives it looks like this: User Email: me@example.com?Subject=Blah Blah Blah but with the underlying mailto link of only me@example.com?Subject=Blah (just a part of the Subject string). If I change the code to $message .= "User Email: $erruseremail"."?Subject=BlahBlahBlah"."\r\n\n"; (remove all spaces in the subject string) the email arrives as expected, with the mailto link including the entire subject string. I have tried every combination of the use of double and single quotes I can think of with no joy. Where am I missing the boat? Many thanks, Bill B El 29/12/2010 18:12, Bill Braun escribi�/wrote: > This code appears in a mail( ) script that sends me notice of errors. > > $message .= "User Email: $erruseremail"."?Subject=Blah Blah Blah"."\r\n\n"; > > When the email arrives it looks like this: > > User Email: me@example.com?Subject=Blah Blah Blah but with the > underlying mailto link of only me@example.com?Subject=Blah (just a part > of the Subject string). > > If I change the code to $message .= "User Email: > $erruseremail"."?Subject=BlahBlahBlah"."\r\n\n"; (remove all spaces in > the subject string) the email arrives as expected, with the...

Mail from PHP
Just before leaving for a holiday my collegue modified this script. Now it won't send any body text (The data filled in on the form) and in an error condition it won't send any attachments either. Because I don't understand PHP I cannot find the error. Who is willing to help? regards Ruud Current PHP script: <?php $emailadres_reacties = "sterktemeter@mysite.nl"; $emailadres_logbestanden = "sterktemeter@mysite.nl"; /* * Class mime_mail */ class mime_mail { var $parts; var $to; var $from; var $headers; var $subject; var $body; /* * void mime_mail() * class constructor */ function mime_mail() { $this->parts = array(); $this->to = ""; $this->from = ""; $this->subject = "Test"; $this->body = "Body tekst"; $this->headers = ""; } /* * void add_attachment(string message, [string name], [string ctype]) * Add an attachment to the mail object */ function add_attachment($message, $name = "", $ctype = "application/octet-stream") { $this->parts[] = array ( "ctype" => $ctype, "message" => $message, "encode" => $encode, "name" => $name ); } /* * void build_message(array part= * Build message parts of an m...

Problem sending e-mail from PHP
I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 with Postfix and PHP. Postfix is working fine. I'm using a couple of PHP applications which fail to send mail. I can't find anything in the maillog. When using SMTP from PHP mail is being sent. I want the native PHP mail function to work properly. In my php.ini the sendmail_path points to the correct location for the postfix sendmail wrapper. The sendmail wrapper also works fine when used from a command line. Here are the relevant parameters for mail in php.ini [mail function] ; For Win32 only. #SMTP = localhost ; For Win32 only. #sendmail_from = me@localhost.com ; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i"). sendmail_path =/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i Any hints on what the problem might be and how to solve it ? - Ron In article <bfv7t4$mam$1@news.hccnet.nl>, "Ron Bakker" <Ron.Bakker@hccnet.nl> wrote: > I'm using a couple of PHP applications which fail to send mail. > I can't find anything in the maillog. > [snip] > The sendmail wrapper also works fine when used from a command line. > [snip] > Any hints on what the problem might be and how to solve it ? chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail Any luck? hth -- Bulworth : funha@fung.arg | My email address is ROT13 encoded, decode to mail --------------------------|-------------------------------------------------- <http://www.phplab...

does PHP mail() function depend on sendmail?
We're installing a new server at the office and this will be the first server we set up from which we host our website. We got tired of dealing with Interland and decided to bring our hosting in-house. The guy doing most of the work struggled with sendmail for awhile and then gave up. Now he's installing Postit, or Postfix, or whatever it's called. Does the PHP mail function depend on sendmail, or can it use any mta software? Hi, lawrence wrote: > We're installing a new server at the office and this will be the first > server we set up from which we host our website. W...

Web resources about - PHP mail() function failing to send mail - comp.lang.php

Talk:Trigonometric functions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Mathematics , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Mathematics on Wikipedia. If ...

Eating chocolate 'improves brain function' - study
... news for those with a sweet tooth - a recent study has found that regular chocolate consumption is associated with better cognitive function. ...

Using Functions to Make Better Abstractions
... (code that is tightly coupled to its own implementation details). I was wrong. I was wrong because I had an incomplete understanding of functions. ...

Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers ...
Al-Bawaba Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers run network ... Al-Bawaba ...

Google Maps for iOS adds detour function, 3D touch support
Google has extended its pit-stop feature the ability to find places to stop off on journeys to iPhone and iPad users with the release of Google ...

LVMH's Hublot May Be Next Brand for Smart Functions, Biver Says
Hublot will probably be the next LVMH watch brand to add smart functions, following TAG Heuer’s footsteps in combining Swiss craftsmanship and ...

Yahoo Begins Grim Job of Closing Functions, Laying Off Staff
Yahoo Food is closing, and other digital magazines on tech, travel and beauty are also scheduled for closing or major cutbacks.

Compliance Risk Study Shows Compliance Function Needs New Initiatives to Protect Its Hard-Won Gains
Financial institutions’ compliance functions have come a long way, but they still have some distance to travel before they reach the right strategic ...

A 3D Printed Jet Engine Appears to Function
... jet engine . You may remember seeing a 3D printed jet engine grace our front page back in October. That one was beautiful didn’t function . ...

‘World Of Warcraft’ Alpha Removes Gold From Garrison Missions, Water Striders No Longer Function Everywhere ...
... build deploying soon to the alpha server, garrison missions no longer reward gold and the water-walking Water Strider mounts no longer function ...