PHP XML access problem

Okay, I'm trying to make an AJAX-type application that uses an
XMLHttpRequest to a PHP page which processes an XML document, getting
elements, and printing them out.  When I run it through, the only
errors that I get are 2 PHP errors from the PHP page that accesses the
XML document (since there is another PHP page I use that auto-
generates the AJAX application).  They are the following (verbatim):

Warning: DOMDocument::loadXML() [function.DOMDocument-loadXML]: Empty
string supplied as input in /usr/local/lsws/DEFAULT/html/html/
memberaccess.php5 on line 11

Fatal error: Call to undefined method
DOMNodeList::getElementsByTagName() in /usr/local/lsws/DEFAULT/html/
html/memberaccess.php5 on line 17

The php5 tag was just a test to see if my web server was interpreting
them as PHP4, since there was a reported bug in PHP4.1 that related to
these error messages.

The code for the first error is:
$dom->loadXML("./memberroster.xml");

The second error I did a bit of troubleshooting with, so I'll
basically give a chronological version of that:
$ranks = $dom->getElementsByTagName('RANK');
$members1 = $ranks->getElementsByTagName('MEMBER1');

then I removed the first line there, and changed the second to the
following:
$members1 = $dom->getElementsByTagName('MEMBER1');

I got the Fatal error with both of those combinations.

Thank you in advance.  Very much appreciated.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:56:38 +0100, Rankin  =

<pegasusflightresources@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I'm trying to make an AJAX-type application that uses an
> XMLHttpRequest to a PHP page which processes an XML document, getting
> elements, and printing them out.  When I run it through, the only
> errors that I get are 2 PHP errors from the PHP page that accesses the=

> XML document (since there is another PHP page I use that auto-
> generates the AJAX application).  They are the following (verbatim):
>
> Warning: DOMDocument::loadXML() [function.DOMDocument-loadXML]: Empty
> string supplied as input in /usr/local/lsws/DEFAULT/html/html/
> memberaccess.php5 on line 11
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined method
> DOMNodeList::getElementsByTagName() in /usr/local/lsws/DEFAULT/html/
> html/memberaccess.php5 on line 17
>
> The php5 tag was just a test to see if my web server was interpreting
> them as PHP4, since there was a reported bug in PHP4.1 that related to=

> these error messages.
>
> The code for the first error is:
> $dom->loadXML("./memberroster.xml");

 From the manual:
DOMDocument->load() - Load XML from a file
DOMDocument->loadXML() - Load XML from a string

So, either something like:
or:
$dom->load("./memberroster.xml");

> The second error I did a bit of troubleshooting with, so I'll
> basically give a chronological version of that:
> $ranks =3D $dom->getElementsByTagName('RANK');
> $members1 =3D $ranks->getElementsByTagName('MEMBER1');

Can't be done like that, DOMNodeList doesn't have a getElementsByTagName=
  =

method. If you want to search all 'MEMBER1' tags in 'RANK' tags, I'd  =

advise using XPath.

$xpath =3D new DOMXPath($dom);
$members1 =3D $xpath->query('//RANK//MEMBER1');

You could offcourse loop though all members of $ranks, and perform the  =

method on the DOMElement. Something like this (untested):
$members =3D array();
for($i =3D 0,$ranks =3D $dom->getElementsByTagName('RANK');$rank =3D  =

$ranks->item($i); $i++)
	for($j =3D 0,$members_in_rank =3D  =

$rank->getElementsByTagName('MEMBER1');$member =3D  =

$members_in_rank->item($j);$j++)
		$members[] =3D $member;

> then I removed the first line there, and changed the second to the
> following:
> $members1 =3D $dom->getElementsByTagName('MEMBER1');
>
> I got the Fatal error with both of those combinations.

Should work, als long as $dom is either a DOMDocument or DOMElement. If =
 =

you get a fatal error, var_dump($dom) to see what it is, and check for  =

probably an accidental reassignment making $dom something else then a  =

DOMDocument.

Also be VERY aware of the fact that PHP's DOM is absolutely NOT the same=
  =

as PHP's DOM XML (the first one would be preferable, in which case the  =

starting DOM is written all uppercase, the second one usually is written=
  =

with only the D capitalised (DomDocument is DOM XML, DOMDocument is DOM)=
..
-- =

Rik Wasmus
On Mar 18, 6:37=A0pm, "Rik Wasmus" <luiheidsgoe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > following:
> > $members1 =3D $dom->getElementsByTagName('MEMBER1');
>
> > I got the Fatal error with both of those combinations.
>
> Should work, als long as $dom is either a DOMDocument or DOMElement. If =
=A0
> you get a fatal error, var_dump($dom) to see what it is, and check for =A0=

> probably an accidental reassignment making $dom something else then a =A0
> DOMDocument.
>
> Also be VERY aware of the fact that PHP's DOM is absolutely NOT the same =
=A0
> as PHP's DOM XML (the first one would be preferable, in which case the =A0=

> starting DOM is written all uppercase, the second one usually is written =
=A0
> with only the D capitalised (DomDocument is DOM XML, DOMDocument is DOM).

Ah, that may explain a lot.  Thank you.

PhP, Access/SQL, Date comparison problem. (I'm new to PhP)
Hi All! I'm fairly new to PhP and basicly trying to learn right now. Now I have a problem - I have a fairly large collection of movies which people keep borrowing from me. And then not returning. So I've put together an Access database with three tables - my media library, a list of friends and email addresses, and a borrow table which uses foreign keys from the other two tables to see who has borrowed what. Borrow Table also has two other fields - the date borrowed, which is set to equal now() inside of access, and the date due, which is set to equal now()+14 - they are both &...

Scrolling problem with php web page
Why doesn't my left nav bar scroll properly? For some reason, my left nav bar does not scroll properly on my php page - index2.php Below is a link to the page with a detailed description of the problem. The page itself is a demonstration of the problem. http://clearpointsystems.com/112/index2.php I'm not sure if the problem is with the style sheet, IE6, my code, or what. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! "deko" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GMgKc.11657$Pn7.9107@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > Why doesn't my left nav bar scroll properly? > > For some reason, my left nav bar does not scroll properly on my php page - > index2.php Below is a link to the page with a detailed description of the > problem. The page itself is a demonstration of the problem. > > http://clearpointsystems.com/112/index2.php > > I'm not sure if the problem is with the style sheet, IE6, my code, or what. > Any help is appreciated. Thanks! > wrong newsgroup.... anyway, the problem appears to be referencing an external stylesheet. when the css directives are placed within the page it works fine. still, seems to be limitation with IE6 not rendering page and scrollong properly when using external style sheet. "deko" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GMgKc.11657$Pn7.9107@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > Why doesn't my left nav bar scroll properly? > > For some reason, my left na...

PHP/XML (or PHP/MySQL) CMS
I'm looking for a PHP/XML CMS (or a PHP/MySQL CMS) for managing a large corporate website with a lot of different information. I have found some CMS, but they are just not good enough. Can you recommend one ? thanks in advance. Nona Me wrote: > I'm looking for a PHP/XML CMS (or a PHP/MySQL CMS) for > managing a large corporate website with a lot of different information. > I have found some CMS, but they are just not good enough. > > Can you recommend one ? > > thanks in advance. > > try www.mamboserver.com/ imho top-notch reg. sh -- "The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at least until we've finished building it." -- unknown Stefan Hegenbart wrote: >> I have found some CMS, but they are just not good enough. >> >> Can you recommend one ? >> > > try www.mamboserver.com/ > imho top-notch Or if you need something really mighty: www.typo3.org Nona Me wrote: > I'm looking for a PHP/XML CMS (or a PHP/MySQL CMS) for > managing a large corporate website with a lot of different information. > I have found some CMS, but they are just not good enough. > > Can you recommend one ? > > thanks in advance. > > > From - Thu ezPublish: http://www.ez.no/ ...

About PHP::: Error/Problem PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_array():
Hi Everyone ============================================================== About PHP::: Error/Problem PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): ============================================================== In the past i use my code/script work fine with Mandrake 9.1 - 10.1 ( + apache ,mysql ) Now i move to redhat EL4 with the same code/script I got error can't login to my code. and found error on /var/log/httpd/error_log like this PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/html/website_in_server/showdata.php or PHP Warning: my...

TCL/PHP/XML problem: I need to convert an XML file into a TCL list
My TCL proc, XML_GET_ALL_ELEMENT_ATTRS, is supposed to convert an XML file into a TCL list as follows: attr1 {val1} attr2 {val2} ... attrN {valN} This is the TCL code that does this: [TCL] set contents [read $fileID [file size ${fileName}.xml]]; close $fileID if {![string equal $switch -body]} { # ONLY DO THIS IF THE XML CONTENTS CONTAIN NO BODY - WILL UPGRADE AT A LATER DATE 11/24/2006 - PHIL global serverName if {![info exists serverName]} { global env source ./cgi_globals.tcl global serverName } if {[string length [info procs {URL_ENCODE}]] == 0} { source ../url_procs.tcl }; # INCLUDE NEW url_procs.tcl URL TCL LIBRARY if {[string length [info procs {IS_LIST}]] == 0} { source {./tcl_string_tools.tcl} }; # INCLUDE THE TCL STRING LIBRARY CONTAINING PROC is_list IF !FOUND # BLOCK TO CREATE THE PHP SCRIPT TO PIPE INTO php.exe regsub -all {'} [XML_CLEANUP_ATTRIBUTE $contents] {\&#034;} phpEscapedContents regsub -all {"} $phpEscapedContents {\&quot;} phpEscapedContents set php {<? } append php [subst { if (@is_file("./functions.inc.php")) [format %c 123] }] append php { require_once("./functions.inc.php"); } append php [subst { echo xml_to_tcl_list("$phpEscapedContents"); }] append php [subst {[format %c 125] }] append php { ?>} set cannotRunPHP [catch {exec "echo '$php' | php" >@stdout 2>&stderr} errorMsg] if {$cannotRunPHP...

OpenVMS + PHP +XSL + DOM XML problem --> (cannot load/transform XML)
Hey! I have a problem loading (transforming) XML file using DOM XML extension on OpenVMS (alpha). I have installed libxml2, mysql, apache,... following steps described here (http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/kits/) All I want to do is: 1. build an XML from MySQL DB (functions like load, saveXML, appendChild, createElement are used) 2. Load an XSL file 3. transform XML with loaded XSL and show (echo) the result of the transformation My problem is that none of xmldom functions (which work on PHP 5) are supported. Why is that? Do I need some extension for domxml for OpenVMS? Where...

PHP within PHP...
I took over the support of a website that is set up something like this inside one of the pages: include_once("header.php"); <?php //to get the content of the page they do this: $content = mysql_query("select content etc...); echo $content; ?> include_once("footer.php"); I am having problems evaluating any php that is used in the mysql content. Is there a way to get the mysql withing the mysql to run? Thank you for your time, Mandragon On Sep 17, 12:56 pm, Mandrago...@gmail.com wrote: > I took over the support of a website that is set up something like > this inside one of the pages: > > include_once("header.php"); > > <?php > //to get the content of the page they do this: > $content = mysql_query("select content etc...); > > echo $content; > ?> > > include_once("footer.php"); > > I am having problems evaluating any php that is used in the mysql > content. Is there a way to get the mysql withing the mysql to run? > > Thank you for your time, > > Mandragon Sorry, The question should read: "Is there a way to get the php withing the echo $htmlcontent to run?" Of course you are, $content is a resource. The MySQL Query resource. try this: $content = mysql_query('bla bla bla'); while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($content)) { $result[] = $row; } $content = $result; Now you can use $content ;). In answer to your edit... eval($co...

PHP and MS Access + XML
Hi, I have resords in an access database. I want to retrieve them using php and generate an xml file with them. I can retrieve the records and generate an xml file but the xml file contains no data. This is the code im using: PHP: $query1="SELECT * FROM cust"; $result=odbc_exec($conn , $query1)or die("Query failed: $sql<br />Error: ".mysql_error()."<br />"); $xml = ''; $xml .= '<?xml version="1.0"?>'."\n"; $xml .= '<!DOCTYPE customer SYSTEM "customer.dtd">'."\n"; $xml .= ...

Problem with Mail()
In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following code to successfully write to a database and also send out an email. For some reason, when I take this code to work, it still writes to the database but doesn't send mail so we're (me and the I.T. guy) trying to find out whether it's the difference between PHP 4 or something else with email security. Does anyone here have experience with mail() in PHP 4 to know whether PHP 4 had issues with mail() that were fixed with PHP 5 ???? We've been chasing this from the mail server side at work when perhaps its some nuance between versions of PHP. Appreciate any help... Chris /* > $to = stripslashes($to); */ $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; $subject = stripslashes($subject); $text = stripslashes($text); /* > mail('$to',$subject, $text); */ mail($to, $subject, $text, "From: admin@localhosthome.com"); cover wrote: > $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; > Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF here. JW On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:33:57 +0100, "Janwillem Borleffs" <jw@jwscripts.com> wrote: >cover wrote: >> $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n"; >> > >Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF >here. Thanks for the reply. I tried it after reading your post and no change... Thanks again, cover wrote: > In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following co...

problem with xml and xpath in PHP

php to php obj
Hi All, Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object files in deploying the files to other's server like java classes are deployed? Thanks in advance --AR John7481 <arjohn7481@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted: > Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object files in > deploying the files to other's server like java classes are deployed? To what end? Do you want a PHP obfuscator? They tend not to be needed - since the code remains on the server. Do you want a PHP squeezer? Again - since PHP remains on the server that is of reduced importance. PHP obfuscators and squeezers are out there - but what exactly are you looking for? -- __________ |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ tim@tt1lock.org Remove lock to reply. With total disregard for any kind of safety measures Tim Tyler <tim@tt1lock.org> leapt forth and uttered: > John7481 <arjohn7481@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted: > >> Is there any tool to convert the .php files into its object >> files in deploying the files to other's server like java >> classes are deployed? > > To what end? > > Do you want a PHP obfuscator? They tend not to be needed - > since the code remains on the server. > > Do you want a PHP squeezer? Again - since PHP remains on the > server that is of reduced importance. > > PHP obfuscators and squeezers are out there - but what exactly > are you looking for? I think he'...

php outside php (?)
Sounds weird, i know. What i want/wonder is the following: PHP can do the next: <?php if($foo == 'bar') { ?> Ow yeah, foo is bar! <?php }; ?> But how can i do the following: <?php $foo= ?> this is what foo looks like. <?php }; ?> This way i could edit the content of $foo in DW's design-view. I hope it's clear enough for you all to understand... Greetings frizzle. frizzle wrote: > But how can i do the following: > > <?php > > $foo= > > ?> > this is what foo looks like. > <?php > > }; > > ?> > > This way i could edit the content of $foo in DW's design-view. > I hope it's clear enough for you all to understand... <?php ob_start(); ?> this is what foo looks like. <?php $foo=ob_get_clean(); ?> -- Justin Koivisto - justin@koivi.com http://koivi.com Wow, little late on the reply, but i still wanted to thank you for your help. This is exactly what i meant, and it works great! :D Thanks again. ...

Accessing php files over lan problem
Hi, I am trying to build a simple web database that will be accesible from only local area network. I have installed EasyPHP package on WinXP system and allowed access one other PC in my LAN. On the host PC everything seems fine I access the login page but when i try to access the server from the other machine i can acces HTML and other files but php is not responding.What can cause this ? Thank you very much in advance. h wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to build a simple web database that will be accesible from > only local area network. > > I have installed EasyPHP package on WinXP system and allowed access > one other PC in my LAN. > On the host PC everything seems fine I access the login page but when > i try to access the server from the other machine i can acces HTML and > other files but php is not responding.What can cause this ? > > Thank you very much in advance. Hi, PC1: Your PHP machine + webserver (say on 10.0.0.1) PC2: Another PC in your LAN. (say on 10.0.0.2) So from PC1, you can use: http://localhost/somephpfile.php or http://10.0.0.1/somephpfile.php and that works allright? PHP works and html works. Correct? And from PC2: http://10.0.0.1/somephpfile.php fails, but http://10.0.0.1/somehtmlfile.html works. Do I understand that right? Erwin Moller Thank you for your reply. I have build the site on the localhost and my php files require session based authentication and my mistake was using if ($row) { $_SESSION[...

php load xml with html entity problem.

problem when outputting an xml file using php

Best PHP Training | PHP Development Training | PHP Training Institute
Tops Technologies provides php and mysql certification courses in ahmedabad, baroda, surat, Rajkot, Udaipur, Gujarat, india.PHP Training with MySQL is an introductory course in the PHP and MySQL technology. Mysql and php training course, php for beginners, sql training courses, PHP Training courses, php courses, mysql training courses, php mysql course. For More Details :- http://www.tops-int.com ...

foreach problem moving from php v4.3.0 to php v4.3.10
I am trying to figure out why the code listed below works in php v4.3.0 but not in v4.3.10: $string = "Param1=Val1;Param2=Val2;Param3=Val3"; $exploded_string = explode(";",$string); foreach($exploded_string as $param){ list($key, $value) = split("=",$param); ...additional code... } It works fine in v4.3.0, but when I run it on a server running v4.3.10 I get an error because $param is an Array. It should be a regular scaler variable. On the first iteration $param should equal 'Param1=Val1...

Problem updating PHP 4.3.0 DEV to PHP 4.3.3
Hi! I had Apache 2.0.47 and PHP 4.3.0 DEV running successfully on a W2k Server. For some reason, I couldn't get PHP to read XML-Attributes with the DOM XML -functions. So I thought, it would be time to update PHP to a newer version. So I simply replaces the old php-files with the new ones and of course kept the php.ini. But now, PHP doesn't work anymore. As soon as I request a page with php code, I get a "document contains no data" error after a while. (Apache's error log looks like the excerpt at the end of this message) If I install PHP5, I can't even start Apache...

imagerotate problem with PHP 4.3.9
Recap: Using imagerotate within PHP 4.3.9 - PHP 5.2.0 for both XP and Linux, all using GD2 If you rotate an image 180 degrees, all is fine If you rotate an image > 0 degrees and < 180 degrees, or > 180 degrees and < 360 degrees, while the image will rotate, its dimensions are somehow not refactored and as a result you get a rather annoying black bar in the newly-rotated image, along with part of your image being cropped off. I learned about a possible workaround with ImageMagick's convert command, but has anyone found a better solution (other than using XP's built-in im...

PHP does not parse .PHP files
I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. With CLI, I am able to execute my .php files. For example, if I type "php phpinfo.php" , this works fine on my system. If I put the phpinfo.php file is in /var/www/html and I try to access it through the browser, I get the content of the file and not the execution of the file. Instead of display the info of PHP, I got the text of the file as: <?php phpinfo(); ?> Why? Thanks Phong Ho wrote: >I have this problem with PHP that someone might be able to help. > >With CLI, I am able to execute my ....

PHP with Indian PHP Developers

Php constants in php.ini
I am trying to set user_agent = PHP_VERSION in php.ini. In my php.ini the instructions say that you can use constants in the php.ini file. The only constants I can get to work, though, are the error level constants like E_ALL, E_ERROR, E_WARNING, etc., ... Is anyone aware of some sort of trick to getting others to work? (I was thinking it would be nice to have the user agent string used by my Php scripts to use PHP_VERSION in the string.) -- ***************************** Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it is common. *****...

Send array from php to php

Web resources about - PHP XML access problem - comp.lang.php

Why Telstra's network problems could cause long-term damage
Australian phone and internet providers suffer daily network problems and outages. But Telstra falls the hardest when customers see behind the ...

Why Telstra's network problems could cause long-term damage
Australian phone and internet providers suffer daily network problems and outages. But Telstra falls the hardest when customers see behind the ...

Why Telstra's network problems could cause long-term damage
Australian phone and internet providers suffer daily network problems and outages. But Telstra falls the hardest when customers see behind the ...

Brussels terror attacks are Europe's problem, not just Belgium's
Belgium's security forces could have done more to prevent the Brussels attacks, but so could every security service in the world.

No Law Degree? No Problem! Sarah Palin To Preside Over Reality TV Court
Sarah Palin will tell you about a crazy legal theory called rootin’-tootin’ res ipsa loquitur.

Apple Has Problems with Its Cloud Infrastructure, Says The Information
... ) Google division for some cloud computing infrastructure, The Information ’s Amir Efrati and Steve Nellis today write that Apple has a problem ...

The world’s wealthiest failed state... a population that’s complicit.... a very strong implantation ...
... its success in arresting [the alleged leader of the Paris massacre Salah] Abdeslam, Belgium continues to present a special security problem ...

Yes, Expansionary Fiscal Policy in The North Atlantic Would Solve Many of Our Problems. Why Do You Ask ...
... state of the economy in a very short space with five super-short equations; * One is about our current likely-to-be-chronic inequality problems. ...