Problem with Mail() - PHP 5 vs PHP 4

In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following code to successfully
write to a database and also send out an email.  For some reason, when
I take this code to work, it still writes to the database but doesn't
send mail so we're (me and the I.T. guy) trying to find out whether
it's the difference between PHP 4 or something else with email
security.

Does anyone here have experience with mail() in PHP 4 to know whether
PHP 4 had issues with mail() that were fixed with PHP 5 ???? We've
been chasing this from the mail server side at work when perhaps its
some nuance between versions of PHP.

Appreciate any help...

Chris

/* > $to = stripslashes($to); */
$to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n";
$subject = stripslashes($subject);
$text = stripslashes($text);
/* > mail('$to',$subject, $text); */
mail($to, $subject, $text, "From: admin@localhosthome.com");

cover wrote:
> $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n";

Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF
here.

JW

0
jw137 (829)
2/27/2006 9:33:57 PM
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:33:57 +0100, "Janwillem Borleffs"
<jw@jwscripts.com> wrote:

>cover wrote:
>> $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n";
>>

>Might or might not be the cause, but you should remove the trailing CRLF
>here.

Thanks for the reply.  I tried it after reading your post and no
change...  Thanks again,
cover wrote:
> In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following code to successfully
> write to a database and also send out an email.  For some reason, when
> I take this code to work, it still writes to the database but doesn't
> send mail so we're (me and the I.T. guy) trying to find out whether
> it's the difference between PHP 4 or something else with email
> security.
>
> Does anyone here have experience with mail() in PHP 4 to know whether
> PHP 4 had issues with mail() that were fixed with PHP 5 ???? We've
> been chasing this from the mail server side at work when perhaps its
> some nuance between versions of PHP.

Are you sure that this is happen because a diff. version of php?

what about the smtp settings in your php config?

--
regards Olaf
http://www.finalwebsites.com

"cover" <coverlandNOSPAM914@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In my PHP 5.0 at home, I'm using the following code to successfully
> write to a database and also send out an email.  For some reason, when
> I take this code to work, it still writes to the database but doesn't
> send mail so we're (me and the I.T. guy) trying to find out whether
> it's the difference between PHP 4 or something else with email
> security.
>
> Does anyone here have experience with mail() in PHP 4 to know whether
> PHP 4 had issues with mail() that were fixed with PHP 5 ???? We've
> been chasing this from the mail server side at work when perhaps its
> some nuance between versions of PHP.
>
> Appreciate any help...
>
> Chris
>

> /* > $to = stripslashes($to); */
> $to = stripslashes($to)."\r\n";
> $subject = stripslashes($subject);
> $text = stripslashes($text);
> /* > mail('$to',$subject, $text); */
> mail($to, $subject, $text, "From: admin@localhosthome.com");

perhaps it's your from address is invalid on your mailserver.
or it could be php.ini

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = me@example.com

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default:
"sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

; Force the addition of the specified parameters to be passed as extra
parameters
; to the sendmail binary. These parameters will always replace the value of
; the 5th parameter to mail(), even in safe mode.
;mail.force_extra_parameters =

is set wrong.