Quickly adding text to a mysql text field that is NOT empty

Hi all

Is there a way to insert text into a mysql text field that already has
text into it; without having first to extract the existing data and
append the new text to that string variable and then insert the new
string.

Basically i'm looking for a way to do it with a single query not 2 (one
being a select to gather existing data).

Please help!

0
marcrice20 (33)

I could have sworn I already replied to this but it appears that it did
not go through, but anyway; you want to modify the contents of an
existing field without having to fetch it using a query, yes? This is
possible through the use of MySQL's CONCAT() function:

UPDATE `my_table` SET `my_field` = CONACT(`my_field`, ' append this');

So, for example the value of 'my_field' is 'John'. Upon running the
query the value of 'my_field' will become 'John append this'. Hope that
helps.

0
xclarky (14)
2/5/2006 2:31:20 PM
So basically you want to append a string or data to existing data in a
field without having to fetch the contents of that field first? Yeah,
that's possible:

UPDATE `my_table` SET `myfield` = CONCAT(`myfield`, 'newvalue');

So say the value of 'myfield' was 'John' and I ran that query, the
value of 'myfield would now be 'Johnnewvalue'. Is that what you wanted?

0
xclarky (14)
2/5/2006 3:01:32 PM
> So say the value of 'myfield' was 'John' and I ran that query, the
> value of 'myfield would now be 'Johnnewvalue'. Is that what you wanted?

Thanks for your help xcla, the problem I have is that I don't know what
is in the first part of the string, so i need a query which adds to the
data that is in there without me defining it.

0
marcrice20 (33)
2/5/2006 3:17:50 PM
Yeah I've got it working now thanks!

0
marcrice20 (33)
2/5/2006 3:33:23 PM
You're very welcome, I used 'John' as an example, just specifying the
field name works as I assume you've already found out. Glad I could
help!

0
xclarky (14)
2/5/2006 4:04:09 PM
<xclarky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I could have sworn I already replied to this but it appears that it did
> not go through, but anyway; you want to modify the contents of an
> existing field without having to fetch it using a query, yes? This is
> possible through the use of MySQL's CONCAT() function:
>
> UPDATE `my_table` SET `my_field` = CONACT(`my_field`, ' append this');

you mean CONCAT

> So, for example the value of 'my_field' is 'John'. Upon running the
> query the value of 'my_field' will become 'John append this'. Hope that
> helps.

0
jmichae31 (131)

Is there a way to display alternate text in a text box if field is empty
The Results Form I am working on has a field for price. Some of the records do not have price at this time. Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for details" if the field price is left blank. Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right now. You "could" just set the default value for the text box to that value, and if the users don't know the price, then that value will be saved with the record. If they do know it, they can simply erase the default value and type over it. Or: You could use the Form's BeforeUpdate event: If Me!<yourControlName> = "" or IsNull(Me!<yourControlName>) Then Me!<yourControlName> = "Whatever value you want here" End If -- James Lankford "Kenneth Grice" <kennethgrice@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e2a8f3b4.0310271849.624bb9bb@posting.google.com... > The Results Form I am working on has a field for price. Some of the > records do not have price > at this time. > > Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for > details" if > the field price is left blank. > > Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the > table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right > now. On 27 Oct 2003 18:49:25 -0800, kennethgrice@yahoo.com (Kenneth Grice...

Checking MySQL for empty text field

text + text

text-text

rich text in text field

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many > records and then diplay the records which contains the input. > > Thanks in advance, > > Luke. ...

Text filtering in a text field
Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved. What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers? Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and > filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a > text f...

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. > > TIA > Paulo Paulo, the online help is your FRIEND. Private Sub Text0_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) If KeyAscii >= 48 And KeyAscii <= 57 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub Just put this code in the KeyPress event of whatever text field you do not want to contain numbers. OR you could glue thumbtacks to the number keys on all your users keyboards... Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. Avoid magic numbers, especially when you can use builtin VBA constants. The following is a little more intuitive to read and a future developer does not have to lookup 48 and 57 to see exactly what is being blocked. Private Sub Text2_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) 'Cancel any numeric keys If KeyAscii >= vbKey0 And KeyAscii <= vbKey9 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub The above solu...

Insert text file in a text field ...
Hallo, I have 2 questions: 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an sql instruction) ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table (by an sql instruction) ? Please, could you help me ? Thank you . Fab. On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:41:52 -0700, electric_r@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table > (by an sql instruction) ? > > Please, could you help me ? This is a task for the application program, not the database itself. -- A way of life that is odd or even erratic but interferes with no rights or interests of others is not to be condemned because it is different. -- Chief Justice Warren E. Burger electric_r@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table > (by an sql instruction) ? > > Please, could you help me ? > > Thank you . > > Fab. Look at the LOAD_FILE() function in the manual On 18 Oct, 14:41, electri...@yahoo.it wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table (by an > sql instruction) ? > > 2) How can...

Insert text file in a text field
allo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab ...

Insert text file in a text field #2
Hallo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab Greetings, electric_r@yahoo.it. In reply to Your message dated Thursday, October 18, 2007, 20:36:14, eyi> Hallo, eyi> I have 2 questions: eyi> with php and mysql : eyi> 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? eyi> 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a eyi> table ? eyi> Please, could you help me with a simple example ? This is mostly SQL question. PHP part may looks like: $_field = *_sql_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/document')); *_sql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES ('{$_field}')"); -- Sincerely Yours, AnrDaemon <anrdaemon@freemail.ru> ...

Insert text file in a text field #3
Hallo, I have 2 questions: with php and mysql : 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a table ? Please, could you help me with a simple example ? Thank you . Fab On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:36:59 +0200, <electric_r@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hallo, > > I have 2 questions: > > with php and mysql : > > 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? > > 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a > table ? > > Please, could you help me with a simple example ? mysql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES ('".mysql_real_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/file'))."')"); -- Rik Wasmus On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:29:54 +0200, Rik Wasmus <luiheidsgoeroe@hotmail.com> wrote: > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:36:59 +0200, <electric_r@yahoo.it> wrote: > >> Hallo, >> >> I have 2 questions: >> >> with php and mysql : >> >> 1) How can I insert a text file into a TEXT field of a table ? >> >> 2) How can I insert a microsoft word file into a BLOB field of a >> table ? >> >> Please, could you help me with a simple example ? > > > mysql_query("INSERT INTO tablename (fieldname) VALUES > ('".mysql_real_escape_string(file_get_contents('/path/to/file'))."')...

Adding Combo Box Text To A Text Box
I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any help is appreciated. This will do it: Private Sub ComboBox_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.Textbox) Then Me.Textbox = ComboBox Else Me.Textbox = Me.Textbox & vbNewLine & ComboBox End If End Sub Wayne wrote: >I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value >from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to >do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: > >Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox > >I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in >the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using >Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. > >I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any >help is appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http:/...

Musatov exposes R.S.A. vulnerability: Blue highlight black text truncates black background text turning it white black foreground text remains in field.
505152535455565758595a5b5c5d5e5f606162636465666768696a6b6c6d6e6f7071 72737475767778797a7b7c7d7e7f808182838485868788898a8b8c8d8e8f909192939495969 798999a9b9c9d9e9fa0a1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9aaabacadaeafb0b1b2b3 505152535455565758595a5b5c5d5e5f606162HMAC/SHA-256 Large Correct: Superposition of lines 1 and 4 will correct R.S.A. example: http://il8n.co/test.html ...

Updating A Text String In A Text Field With An Update Query
If I have the following string in a text field of a table: "This is a test" can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA? Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky Use an Update query. Something like this: UPDATE Table1 SET [F1] = Replace([F1], "is", "xyz") WHERE [F1] Like "*is*"; -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Sheldon" <SHPsalm139@aol.com> wrote in message news:61e21fd7-b684-4cbb-9c37-fcd715600090@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > If I have the following string in a text field of a table: > "This is a test" > can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to > "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA? > Thanks, > Sheldon Potolsky Thank you Allen; that worked great. As a followup, if I also wanted to change all occurrences of "t" or "T" to "123" in the string "This is a test", would I need an additional query? In my real world example, I'm trying to remove certain strings such as "<br/>" and "&nbsp;" whenever they occur in a closing description of a problem. Thank you, Sheldon > > Somethin...

Pages

Windows 7 style Text Fields backgound text
Hi is there a way to get a background text in entry fields (text presenters) in the entry area itself - that disappears when you start typing - i.e. Windows 7 style. (Is there any special name / buzzword for that feature ?) Regards Sanjay Sanjay, >is there a way to get a background text in entry fields (text >presenters) in the entry area itself - that disappears when you start >typing - i.e. Windows 7 style. If you don't mind the test being selected then this should work. Select all the following and evaluate in a workspace... sh := Shell show. sh v...

adding fields with fixed text
I have a table generated by a query, and I'd like to add two new field columns to the end or to generate a query which has the same effect. One field is to be called "company" and has the word "pepsi" running down all the rows of the column. The 2nd field is to be called "person" and has the word "A.B." running down all the rows of the columns. How could I do this? Thanks. Tim Donaldson *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Include the column names and values in the make-table query. E.g.: SELECT "Pepsi" As Company, "A.B." As Person, ... etc. ... -- MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net Oakland, CA (USA) Tim Donaldson wrote: > I have a table generated by a query, and I'd like to add two new field > columns to the end or to generate a query which has the same effect. > One field is to be called "company" and has the word "pepsi" running > down all the rows of the column. The 2nd field is to be called "person" > and has the word "A.B." running down all the rows of the columns. How > could I do this? ...

Text field as date (MySQL)
Hello. I have a generic table used for many different generic functions. the fields are mainly varchar's but one of these varchars contains dates (in the format dd/mm/yyyy) for one reason or another. My question is, can I perform a query on this table, using date functions on this varchar field? I.e. search for the latest date? Thanks, Chris On 2 Aug, 10:41, Chris Tate-Davies <christatedav...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello. I have a generic table used for many different generic > functions. the fields are mainly varchar's but one of these varchars > contains dates (in the format dd/mm/yyyy) for one reason or another. > > My question is, can I perform a query on this table, using date > functions on this varchar field? I.e. search for the latest date? > > Thanks, Chris You can by using the STR_TO_DATE function, but it won't be very efficient. On 2 Aug, 10:41, Chris Tate-Davies <christatedav...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello. I have a generic table used for many different generic > functions. the fields are mainly varchar's but one of these varchars > contains dates (in the format dd/mm/yyyy) for one reason or another. > > My question is, can I perform a query on this table, using date > functions on this varchar field? I.e. search for the latest date? > > Thanks, Chris BTH, this is NOT a php question. You should post questions like this in comp.database.mysql (the name of the group gives you the hint) ...

text 2 text

Insert carriage return in a text field to warp text down
I've imported data from a database - containing separate fields for name, address and postcode, into one single text field in another database (I know that's rotten database practice, but I was asked to do this at work). I concatenated the fields in the "donor database then mapped the single concatenated field to the recipient single text field on import. I now have a field containing name, address and postcode, with spaces between each element(I inserted them), but of course there is no wrapping. I now have (example) MrTest Name Test Address TestPostcode in a single text field. I'd like to bring this dbase file into Access and use a function/vb to insert the carriage return at the end of each element so text is wrapped correctly. Does anyone know how to do this please? I could envisage writing a character (eg a comma or asterisk) at the end of each piece of data, prior to performing the concatenation so that this character could be used as a criterion for a function inserting a break, but I'm not very experienced in parsing strings etc, so the idea hardly solves my problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Greg gregory.oxnard@ntlworld.com (Greg Oxnard) wrote in news:7dee7a8c.0308161004.443136a4@posting.google.com: > I've imported data from a database - containing separate fields for > name, address and postcode, into one single text field in another > database (I know that's rotten database practice, but I was asked to >...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Adding comments to TEXT field...
Newbie question: Aside from the single quote (i.e. chr(39)) what other characters can cause MS-SQL server to cough-up the insertion / update back in your face? TIA A. Nonymous (someone@hotmail.com) writes: > Aside from the single quote (i.e. chr(39)) what other characters can cause > MS-SQL > server to cough-up the insertion / update back in your face? None, what I can think of. Well if you use the double " as delimiter, then this is the odd one out. But you can only use " with certain settings. Anyway, to include the string delimiter in the string, you double it: SELECT 'Three o''clock' -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, sommar@algonet.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

Web resources about - Quickly adding text to a mysql text field that is NOT empty - comp.lang.php

IS trains 400 fighters to attack Europe in wave of bloodshed
The Islamic State group has trained at least 400 fighters to target Europe in deadly waves of attacks, deploying interlocking terror cells like ...

FBI to Apple: We’ll crack the terrorist’s iPhone without you
The FBI’s battle with Apple to unlock an iPhone used by terrorist Syed Farook before the San Bernardino attack that left 14 dead seemed headed ...

Google launches service to make machine learning easier
Google is making it easier for businesses to take advantage of the machine learning revolution with a new product for building models that predict ...

Seattle Man Descends From 80-Foot Tree After 24 Hours
The long-bearded man had been in the sequoia tree downtown since Tuesday morning, creating a national spectacle.

Critics are crushing 'Batman v Superman' from every angle
As a society, we love superhero movies — but when a movie like Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice comes along, we're just as likely to love ...

North Carolina Senate Votes 32-0 to Ban All Local LGBT Rights Ordinances
The North Carolina Senate voted unanimously, 32-0, to pass a bill approved by the House earlier today which bans all cities in the state from ...

‘Star Wars’: Harrison Ford On Whether Or Not He Will Ever Play Han Solo Again, His Thoughts On The Han ...
Star War the Force Awakens is fading, and Disney and fans are looking forward to what is coming next for the nearly 40 year old franchise. After ...

Pornhub’s New Free Virtual Reality 360-Degree Experience Brings Buzz
Pornhub has launched a free virtual reality channel — so expect more confessions on how porn nearly ruined lives and marriages, like when actor ...

Supreme Court Conservatives Hate Obamacare But Have No Idea How It Actually Works
In the Hobby Lobby case a couple of years ago, the Supreme Court ruled that Obamacare could not force all employer health insurance plans to ...

Google adds ride-sharing tab to Maps for iOS
Google today updated its Google Maps iOS app to include a ride-sharing tab it introduced for Android owners just last week. While Uber is the ...