Sending mail with mail() without header

Hi,

I'm working on a website where there is a from from which I want to
send the data by e-mail.

When I send myself the result with mail($my_email, $title, $message)
everything works fine and I receive a plain text email. However, the
people for which I'm doing the site receive some kind of error when I
do the same thing but delivered to them > mail($their_email, $title,
$message)

The error looks something like this:

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

  Recipient address: services@theirdomain.com
  Reason: Illegal host/domain name found

I also used something like this in the script to make it work when
sending it to myself:

    ini_set('SMTP', 'mail.theirdomain.com');
    ini_set('sendmail_from', 'services@theirdomain.com');

Is it the fact that I send this email in plain text with no headers
that could trigger some sort of spam filtering?

If so, what headers should I be using?

Thanks in advance
0
sebzzz (18)

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a website where there is a from from which I want to
> send the data by e-mail.
>
> When I send myself the result with mail($my_email, $title, $message)
> everything works fine and I receive a plain text email. However, the
> people for which I'm doing the site receive some kind of error when I
> do the same thing but delivered to them > mail($their_email, $title,
> $message)
>
> The error looks something like this:
>
> Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
>
>  Recipient address: services@theirdomain.com
>  Reason: Illegal host/domain name found
>
> I also used something like this in the script to make it work when
> sending it to myself:
>
>    ini_set('SMTP', 'mail.theirdomain.com');
>    ini_set('sendmail_from', 'services@theirdomain.com');
>
> Is it the fact that I send this email in plain text with no headers
> that could trigger some sort of spam filtering?
>
> If so, what headers should I be using?
>
> Thanks in advance

I can't give a lot of detail, but it's because the Headers are non-RFC
compliant, I imagine.  Without the envelope "from" and "return path"
etc. many ISPs will reject the mail.  I imagine someone who can give you
specific details will be along shortly.

HTH

0
nobody37 (346)
7/28/2008 3:26:52 PM
Thanks for this piece of info.

It helps to know where the problem comes from.

On Jul 28, 11:26=A0am, "Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm working on a website where there is a from from which I want to
> > send the data by e-mail.
>
> > When I send myself the result with mail($my_email, $title, $message)
> > everything works fine and I receive a plain text email. However, the
> > people for which I'm doing the site receive some kind of error when I
> > do the same thing but delivered to them > mail($their_email, $title,
> > $message)
>
> > The error looks something like this:
>
> > Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
>
> > =A0Recipient address: servi...@theirdomain.com
> > =A0Reason: Illegal host/domain name found
>
> > I also used something like this in the script to make it work when
> > sending it to myself:
>
> > =A0 =A0ini_set('SMTP', 'mail.theirdomain.com');
> > =A0 =A0ini_set('sendmail_from', 'servi...@theirdomain.com');
>
> > Is it the fact that I send this email in plain text with no headers
> > that could trigger some sort of spam filtering?
>
> > If so, what headers should I be using?
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> I can't give a lot of detail, but it's because the Headers are non-RFC
> compliant, I imagine. =A0Without the envelope "from" and "return path"
> etc. many ISPs will reject the mail. =A0I imagine someone who can give yo=
> specific details will be along shortly.
>
> HTH

0
sebzzz (18)
7/28/2008 5:33:14 PM
> Thanks for this piece of info.
>
> It helps to know where the problem comes from.
>
> On Jul 28, 11:26 am, "Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> I'm working on a website where there is a from from which I want to
>>> send the data by e-mail.
>>
>>> When I send myself the result with mail($my_email, $title, $message)
>>> everything works fine and I receive a plain text email. However, the
>>> people for which I'm doing the site receive some kind of error when
>>> I do the same thing but delivered to them > mail($their_email,
>>> $title, $message)
>>
>>> The error looks something like this:
>>
>>> Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
>>
>>> Recipient address: servi...@theirdomain.com
>>> Reason: Illegal host/domain name found
>>
>>> I also used something like this in the script to make it work when
>>> sending it to myself:
>>
>>> ini_set('SMTP', 'mail.theirdomain.com');
>>> ini_set('sendmail_from', 'servi...@theirdomain.com');
>>
>>> Is it the fact that I send this email in plain text with no headers
>>> that could trigger some sort of spam filtering?
>>
>>> If so, what headers should I be using?
>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> I can't give a lot of detail, but it's because the Headers are
>> non-RFC compliant, I imagine. Without the envelope "from" and
>> "return path" etc. many ISPs will reject the mail. I imagine someone
>> who can give you specific details will be along shortly.
>>
>> HTH

Well, since no one else has come along yet I'll give you what little I
know from my meager experience:
You have to have From.  Not the From that prints for the recipient, but
the From header in the envelope.
  I think the Return Path is derived from that.

You need to identify the content type.  e.g. texp/plain, etc.

Then the doctype, and etc. etc..  PHPNet and W3 schools both have good
articles on them; I'd do some checking there to get going if this is new
to you. Basically you have a set of requireds and then a set of "if you
wanna" types of headers.

 I'm new at this too so getting too specific would be the blind leading
the blind <g>.

HTH

Twayne

0
nobody37 (346)
7/28/2008 6:13:28 PM
You don't have to set headers if you ini is set properly, even though
I've never had to set anything in my ini for my mail scripts. I do now
however format the headers properly... excerpt from ini

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = me@example.com

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail
-t -i").
;sendmail_path =

What are they using for mail? What OS is php running from? If it's
winders check to see if they have the smtp relay open, if not (more
than likely) have the admin add the server to allow it to relay, I
don't remember where it's at off the top of my head as my server admin
hat has a bit of dust one it.

When using headers use similar to this format $header .= "From:
$webmaster" . "\r\n"; . The last part is important, Google for more
info
The Hajj wrote:
> You don't have to set headers if you ini is set properly, even though
> I've never had to set anything in my ini for my mail scripts. I do now
> however format the headers properly... excerpt from ini
>

> [mail function]
> ; For Win32 only.
> SMTP = localhost
> smtp_port = 25
>
> ; For Win32 only.
> ;sendmail_from = me@example.com
>
> ; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail
> -t -i").
> ;sendmail_path =
>
> What are they using for mail? What OS is php running from? If it's
> winders check to see if they have the smtp relay open, if not (more
> than likely) have the admin add the server to allow it to relay, I
> don't remember where it's at off the top of my head as my server admin
> hat has a bit of dust one it.
>
> When using headers use similar to this format $header .= "From:
> $webmaster" . "\r\n"; . The last part is important, Google for more
> info

No, you don't HAVE to set headers to send the email.  But if you don't
have certain headers, some spam filters will chuck the message.

An example is not having Reply To: - if it's missing or doesn't match
the From: header, it won't make it through some spam filters.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

0
jstucklex (14659)

php mail() not sending to mail Clients (ie, Outlook, Apple Mail, thunderbird, etc..)
I have a send mail script on my site that. The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients like Outlook, Mail, etc...) Is this a problem with the script, or is it something I must change in php ini file? Thanks in advance for any help. here is the code. (im using it in conjunction with javascript for some AJAX stuff) if(!isset($_GET['action'])) { die("You must not access this page directly!"); //Just to stop people from visiting contact.php normally } /* Now lets trim up the input before sending it */ $name = trim($_GET['name']); //The sen...

Send mail script step
I have a file CLASSES with the classes of a school and a file STUDENTS with the students of the shool. The two files are related with the Class_ID field. I have a layout with the data from one record of the CLASS file and a portal showing all the students in that class. I want to use a script to sent e-mails to all the students in that class (assuming that there is a e-mail address field in students file). If I use the "Use all Recordn in found set" flag the mail is sent to all the studends of the school and not only to the students of that class. If I use "Use the current rec...

Send Mail with Apple Mail
FMP 10 on OS 10.6: When I use the send mail script step, I get formattet text in the E-mail. This is funny because the Apple Mail setting for new mails is text only. Any ideas how to get text only mails into Apple Mail? -- Christoph Kaufmann http://clk.ch ...

about send mail with php
Hello, I developed a PHP to send confirmation mail to my users. The users complainthat the mail goes to the SPAM section each time. What is the reason for this? I tested it several times, and I always get the same result. The mail always gets spammed. This is very bad because if a user doesn't get the confirmation, they won't even think that it's in their spam mail. The mail would therefore get stuck in their spam mail and I'll lose my clients. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks! On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:36:55 +0200, Marise wrote: > Hello, > > I developed a PHP to send confirmation mail to my users. > The users complainthat the mail goes to the SPAM section each time. > What is the reason for this? I tested it several times, and I always get > the same result. The mail always gets spammed. This is very bad because > if a user doesn't get the confirmation, they won't even think that it's in > their > spam mail. The mail would therefore get stuck in their spam mail and I'll > lose my clients. > > Looking forward to your reply. > > Thanks! > Host your website in a better neighborhood, maybe? -- Windows is a pane in the ass.... Marise wrote: > Hello, > > I developed a PHP to send confirmation mail to my users. > The users complainthat the mail goes to the SPAM section each time. > What is the reason for this? I tested it several times, and I always get > the same resul...

pls help me when i sent mail, it vil sending twice instead of once ,am using java.mail,am sending my code....
Every thing is working fine but it sending message twice instead of once. in the Forget.jsp page am accepting username or email <struts-config.xml> <form-beans> <form-bean name="forgotUname" type="org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm"> <form-property name="userName" type="java.lang.String" /> <form-property name="email" type="java.lang.String" /> </form-bean> </form-beans> <action-mappings> <action path="/Forgot" name="forgotUname" type=&q...

Re: Sending HTML mail from VMS MAIL?
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote on 06/16/2006 02:52:25 PM: > Syltrem wrote: > > > $ cr[0,8]=13 > > > $ lf[0,8]=10 > > > $ subject="[BACKUP] VMS Backup Summary" + cr + lf + - > > > "Mime-Version: 1.0" + cr + lf + - > > > "Content-Type: text/HTML" > > > $ mail/sub="''subject'" 'summary_file support_dist > > > > That works great ! > > > It may work today, but I am not sure this is garanteed to work forever. Okay...

javax.mail sends mail with broken charset
Hello, I send mail with javax.mail and I noticed that some special chars are broken. I am using UTF-8 on my development system, where the mail generating code is produced. The received mail also contains "charset=UTF-8". But it's broken. The string "��" is delivered as "=E4=DF" ( see below). How can I fix this? Laura Message-ID: <13382290.1.1401258077688.JavaMail.tomcat7@h1403230.stratoserver.net> Subject: Test MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Date: Wed, 2...

Send Voice Mail & Encrypted Mail!
Please visit http://www.whimsysoft.com for My Voice Email & InfoLock My Voice Email 1.5 My Voice Email lets you record and send audio messages instead of ordinary e-mail. All you need to do is speak and click, which will take less time than typing a message. It is a friendly interface that is easy to use. Your audio message will be compressed to mp3 format prior to sending to reduce file size and maintain sound quality. No need for emoticons since you can easily convey humor, laughter, and other emotions online in voice email! The length of your voice message is unlimited. Voice...

Send Voice Mail & Encrypted Mail
Please visit http://www.whimsysoft.com for My Voice Email & InfoLock My Voice Email 1.5 My Voice Email lets you record and send audio messages instead of ordinary e-mail. All you need to do is speak and click, which will take less time than typing a message. It is a friendly interface that is easy to use. Your audio message will be compressed to mp3 format prior to sending to reduce file size and maintain sound quality. No need for emoticons since you can easily convey humor, laughter, and other emotions online in voice email! The length of your voice message is unlimited. Voice...

Mail .Mac cannot send mail via smtp mac
I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found without any problem I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, what could be wrong ? thanks joss In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found > without any problem > > I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, > what could be wrong ? > > thanks > > joss Without more detail, it's only a guess...but perhaps your provider is blocking port 25. It's probably a good idea to switch to the "submission port" instead. I don't use Apple's Mail program for my .Mac account and don't know just now where to go there for setting this, but it's an automatic option I use with Eudora. You should also turn on the encryption settings for better security. = Steve = -- Steve W. Jackson Montgomery, Alabama On 2007-10-11 18:07:53 +0200, "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjackson@knology.net> said: > In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, > Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > >> I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found >> without any problem >> >> I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, >> what could be wrong ? >> >...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

Mail server supporting manager authoriasation to send mail
Our "IT" partner is reviewing Kerio Mailserver and MS Exchange. A server will be deployed in each of 8 offices (1x 4 people, 3x 8 people, 1x 50, 3x 20 people). As part of the firms Professional Indemnity procedures all written communication in and out must be approved by a partner (about 15 across firm), the same must apply with email. What we require is a mailserver/client which doesn't permit mail to be sent directly to (and preferably from) addresses other than @firms.domain without first being sent to a partner and approved. what staff need to be able to do is enter joe@bloggs.domain, hit send and it go to a partner or more than one depending on the office, then all the partner needs to do is press yes or no without having to mess around copying the content from one message to a new one. Any comments on the software (or the deployment stratergy - my personal choice wound have been as all mail has to go through the head office mail server first anyway to only have one central server and access over the firm's VPN - each remote office has a 512k DSL, the head office would have a faster upload connection than the 256k DSL provides - but i think this will have to happen anyway) Regards and thanks in advance Chris > As part of the firms Professional Indemnity procedures all written > communication in and out must be approved by a partner (about 15 > across firm), the same must apply with email. What we require is a > mailserver/client which...

sending PHP mail from my laptop?
I can set the host and port, but I don't see that there is anywhere to specify the username and password for an email account on a remote server. Is that do-able? RJ_32 wrote: > I can set the host and port, but I don't see that there is anywhere to specify > the username and password for an email account on a remote server. > > Is that do-able? > Not with the mail command. However, the PHPMailer class as Micha suggests can handle such things (and more) for you. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== Jerry Stuckle wrote: > RJ_32 wrote: >> I can set the host and port, but I don't see that there is anywhere to >> specify >> the username and password for an email account on a remote server. >> >> Is that do-able? >> > > Not with the mail command. > > However, the PHPMailer class as Micha suggests can handle such things > (and more) for you. > yes, thanks, easy to use. However, to enable SSL, I had to add to my php.ini: extension=php_openssl.dll and also to place a copy of that dll into the .../ext directory. It's apparently already finding libeay32.dll because my system path still points to the old PHP installation ...

php send mail problem
Current, I have a function to send UTF-8 encoded HTML Format email to user. But my found that the produced email sometime accidently being injected with the ! sign....... e.g. <td> sometime become <!td> here is the code for that function $sql = "select * from user where userid='$userid'"; $res = send_sql($sql); //Get Reserve staff info $row = mysql_fetch_array($res); $fusername = $row["UserName"]; $femail = $row["Email"]; $message= ERNST."<html><body>"; $message.= "Hi ".htmlspecialchars($fusername).",&l...

Sending extra headers with all mail
I want to automatically add a header to all mail sent out. I know I can do this by editing the eudora.ini file and adding e.g: ExtraHeaders=Reply-To: pinky@perky.com However I would prefer to do this via a setting somewhere in case some less knowledgeable person needs to change it. I tried the Extra Headers plugin but you have to manually ask it to add the header, for every mail you send. There is a personality headers plugin for the Mac that seems to work, but this needs to be for a Windows installation. This has come up because the little office in question (Perky Inc) wen...

Suddenly cannot send mail through mail.app via gmail
I have been set up with gmail.com and using mail.app to access it when I am at my home computer. When I moved from Tiger to Leopard, I noticed that posting, as measured by the rotating symbol duration, increased in time by maybe three times as much, but it still worked. I was able to send until about 10 am today, and then it stopped. Had to do my mail through Safari, which I hate. I updated from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 at about 1 pm, but the problem started well before then and it didn't help. The inbox is working fine and my dsl seems to be working as well as it ever does. I have not messe...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to "...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instea...

iBook and Mail, no "send mail" sound
A friend of mine has a white iBook (G3, I think, running Panther). She has always liked the "whoosh" sound of mail being sent from Apple Mail, but she said it disappeared after some geek relatives were visiting for the holidays (maybe just a coincidence). The file that causes the sound, "Mail Sent.aiff," accessible by viewing Mail's package contents, is definitely in her Mail app, andn other sounds are working fine in all applications. Another issue that might be related: She has never done any maintenance (with Disk Utility or something like MacJanitor), and never shuts down or restarts--she just closes the lid when she's not using it, keeps Mail and Safari open, etc. I heard that the automatic UNIX maintenance doesn't wake up a laptop to do its thing. Correct? In article <nosredna-C5AFA6.14023828112005@news.isp.giganews.com>, nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote: > A friend of mine has a white iBook (G3, I think, running Panther). She > has always liked the "whoosh" sound of mail being sent from Apple Mail, > but she said it disappeared after some geek relatives were visiting for > the holidays (maybe just a coincidence). The file that causes the sound, > "Mail Sent.aiff," accessible by viewing Mail's package contents, is > definitely in her Mail app, andn other sounds are working fine in all > applications. Another issue that might be related: She has never done >...

can't send mail using mail()
hello, i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but the parameters already had value. do you know what is wrong? thank you fasisi wrote: > hello, > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > the parameters already had value. > > do you know what is wrong? > > thank you Sorry, my crystal ball is broken. I can't see your code. Try posting your code so we can see what might be wrong. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== On Mar 16, 8:14=A0pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.net> wrote: > fasisi wrote: > > hello, > > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > > the parameters already had value. > > > do you know what is wrong? > > > thank you > > Sorry, my crystal ball is broken. =A0I can't see your code. > > Try posting your code so we can s...

Web resources about - Sending mail with mail() without header - comp.lang.php

Sending/receiving relationship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A sending/receiving relationship is one in which a public school district sends some or all of its students to attend the schools of another ...

CHVRCHES - Dear guys, Please stop sending us emails like... - Facebook
Dear guys, Please stop sending us emails like this. This is one of the more polite ones. Other recent classics include "I'm going to give her ...

Facebook Sending Perez Hilton More Traffic than Google, Driving 3.3% of All US Traffic to Video Sites ...
For media companies evaluating their Facebook marketing strategy , here’s an interesting sign of the times: web analytics firm Hitwise is reporting ...

A better experience for sending Tweets and DMs - Twitter Blog
... panel New Tweet panel in da...... Skip to main content Blog Got an account? Sign in Search form Search &nbsp A better experience for sending ...

How to Go From Working 60 Hours a Week to 40 By Sending 2 Emails a Week
I’m convinced 95% of cubicle workers who work over 60 hours a week constantly can cut it down to 40-45 hours by sending 2 emails a week to their ...

Live Emoji - sending GIF Animation Emoji for Zoosk,Skype,Kik,Whatsapp,Facebook Messenger Etc. on the ...
Get Live Emoji - sending GIF Animation Emoji for Zoosk,Skype,Kik,Whatsapp,Facebook Messenger Etc. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, ...

Cynthia McKinney - responds to Obama on sending troops into Afghanistan - Debate Answer - YouTube
Cynthia McKinney, Green Party Presidential candidate, responds to Barack Obama on his support for sending troops into Afghanistan. Based on his ...

'Shark' providers sending unskilled workers to high-risk sites, say trainers
&#8203;West Australian training companies say dodgy providers they describe as 'sharks' and 'cowboys' are flooding high-risk mine sites with ...