"IBM PL/I for Window" is not a prduct (waiting for Robin's confrimation)

I just thought that I would start a new thread to make certain that it is clear
that I am still waiting for Robin to confirm his statement in a post dated
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:03 AM.

I stated,
  "The term (in IBM-speak) for what "PL/I for Windows" is, is that it is a
"component" of the RDZ product."

To which Robin replied on that date,
 "That is well-known in this newsgroup, and has been posted often enough here."

 * * * *

Robin,
  Please confirm that you still think that this is "well-known" AND that you
agree.

Clearly, if "ABC" is NOT a product; then it cannot be a "stand-alone PRODUCT".
As far as "IBM PL/I for Windows" goes, it is not the "stand-alone" that is the
error in "IBM PL/I for Windows is not a stand-alone product", it is the fact
that it is NOT a product, but a component of a product.

As I have already indicated, my (original) use of the term "stand-alone" was
misleading (to Robin - even if to no-one else).

Therefore, Robin, once and for all, either

A) Confirm that "IBM PL/I for Windows" is *NOT* a product (of any type) - but is
a component of the RDz product
    Or
B) Provide an IBM PID (Product number) for "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a PRODUCT
and not as a component of another product.

Once you do this, we can (hopefully) end this ongoing word game.

  * * * *

So my understanding/position is clear,

If you purchase the RDz product (which does include the "IBM PL/I for Windows"
component), then it IS true that

1) You may run the IBM PL/I for Windows compiler as stand-alone software (i.e
NOT under the RDz IDE)
   and
2) One (not the only) option for the created "object code" from such a compile
is to have a stand-alone ".exe" file that can be run outside the RDz
environment.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein40 (279)
5/22/2009 10:31:27 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Whilst not wanting to enter the semantic discussion (Robin will need to
respond on this), I can confirm that
1) You may run the IBM PL/I for Windows compiler as stand-alone software
(i.e NOT under the RDz IDE)
2) One (not the only) option for the created "object code" from such a
compile is to have a stand-alone ".exe" file that can be run outside the RDz
environment. Pedantically: you may create EXEs and DLLs and run these on any
supported Windows O/S without needing any additional license.

For the second option (standalone EXEs and DLLs generated by the compiler
and linker) it is usually necessary to redistribute the runtime libraries. A
suitable redistribution package, details on redistribution, together with
the printed permission to do so, is provided in a special statement
accompanying the RDz product.

Mark Yudkin wrote:
> Whilst not wanting to enter the semantic discussion (Robin will need to
> respond on this), I can confirm that
> 1) You may run the IBM PL/I for Windows compiler as stand-alone software
> (i.e NOT under the RDz IDE)
> 2) One (not the only) option for the created "object code" from such a
> compile is to have a stand-alone ".exe" file that can be run outside the RDz
> environment. Pedantically: you may create EXEs and DLLs and run these on any
> supported Windows O/S without needing any additional license.
>
> For the second option (standalone EXEs and DLLs generated by the compiler
> and linker) it is usually necessary to redistribute the runtime libraries. A
> suitable redistribution package, details on redistribution, together with
> the printed permission to do so, is provided in a special statement
> accompanying the RDz product.

It's hilarious.  I looked at the IBM website, and it's very difficult to
even get information on this product, let alone prices!  I was
interested in the license information, I *suspect* that the price not
only includes the mainframe piece, but a fair number of workstation
licenses.  For a large organization, if you divide the cost by the total
number of possible users it probably works out to something reasonable,
or at least reasonable by IBM standards.
0
Peter_Flass (956)
5/24/2009 11:54:40 AM
For the description of
  A) how to get this from IBM
and
  B) "floating User" vs "Authorized User" licenss

Check out:
   http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.jsp?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/5/897/ENUS208-375/index.html

and go to the
   "Ordering information"
section

The information in that section is quite lengthy (and has LOTS of options,
including part numbers for "upgrading" from a previous IBM product.  When/If you
are interested in purchasing a copy, HOPEFULLY, you will get assistance with
ordering the pruduct and "part" that you actually need/want.

NOTE:
  Although purchasing this product DOES net you the mainframe side sofware, it
is also the product that you order if you want this for a PC that is NOT
connected to a mainframe (directly or via any other method)

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"Peter Flass" <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mark Yudkin wrote:
>> Whilst not wanting to enter the semantic discussion (Robin will need to
>> respond on this), I can confirm that
>> 1) You may run the IBM PL/I for Windows compiler as stand-alone software (i.e
>> NOT under the RDz IDE)
>> 2) One (not the only) option for the created "object code" from such a
>> compile is to have a stand-alone ".exe" file that can be run outside the RDz
>> environment. Pedantically: you may create EXEs and DLLs and run these on any
>> supported Windows O/S without needing any additional license.
>>
>> For the second option (standalone EXEs and DLLs generated by the compiler and
>> linker) it is usually necessary to redistribute the runtime libraries. A
>> suitable redistribution package, details on redistribution, together with the
>> printed permission to do so, is provided in a special statement accompanying
>> the RDz product.
>>

> It's hilarious.  I looked at the IBM website, and it's very difficult to even
> get information on this product, let alone prices!  I was interested in the
> license information, I *suspect* that the price not only includes the
> mainframe piece, but a fair number of workstation licenses.  For a large
> organization, if you divide the cost by the total number of possible users it
> probably works out to something reasonable, or at least reasonable by IBM
> standards.

0
wmklein40 (279)
5/24/2009 1:37:43 PM
"William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Clearly, if "ABC" is NOT a product; then it cannot be a "stand-alone PRODUCT".

What part of "stand alone" do you not understand ?
Are you just being thick? or belligerent?

We have established that you have nothing to do with PL/I,
nor any interest in it.

IBM's PL/I for windows is a product.
You can buy it from IBM, and have been able to do so any time that you want.

0
robin_v (2737)
7/8/2009 1:05:27 PM
Robin,
   When/How have we established that I have nothing to do with PL/I?  If you
have, you really need to let the SHARE languages project know that.

We, have, however established that you are inconsistent. (See my other recent
notes).

What we have not established, but I suspect that we could, is that you have
never admitted an error (even a typo) within this newsgroup and that this is a
fairly well known fact within the newsgroup.

Again, all you need to do to stop me from stating that "IBM PL/I for Windows" is
NOT a product is to:

A) provide a product number for it (that is NOT the product number for RDz)
    or
B) even provide an IBM announcement letter that announces a current release of
"IBM PL/I for Windows".

As for buying it, again, provide a method (phone, webpage, whatever) whereby
"IBM PL/I for Windows" can be purchased from IBM or even from a reseller without
buying the IBM product "Rational Developer for System z".

  * * * *

Pretty clearly (as I think reflected by everyone else in this group), I
understand the adjective "stand alone" but you do not understand the noun
"product" (or when referring to IBM products, the differences between "product"
and "component")

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>> Clearly, if "ABC" is NOT a product; then it cannot be a "stand-alone
>> PRODUCT".
>
> What part of "stand alone" do you not understand ?
> Are you just being thick? or belligerent?
>
> We have established that you have nothing to do with PL/I,
> nor any interest in it.
>
> IBM's PL/I for windows is a product.
> You can buy it from IBM, and have been able to do so any time that you want.

0
wmklein40 (279)
7/9/2009 8:43:25 AM
> Robin,
>    When/How have we established that I have nothing to do with PL/I?  If you
> have, you really need to let the SHARE languages project know that.
>
> We, have, however established that you are inconsistent. (See my other recent
> notes).

You haven't established anything of the sort.  You are deceitful.

> What we have not established, but I suspect that we could, is that you have
> never admitted an error (even a typo) within this newsgroup and that this is a
> fairly well known fact within the newsgroup.

I see that you are still behaving like a 3-year old.  Grow up.

0
robin_v (2737)
7/10/2009 2:26:06 AM
Just to establish that I DO have something to do with PL/I and the
status of PL/I within IBM -- AND so Robin will [hopefully] not continue
to ruin his credibility and say that I have "nothing to do with PL/I" as
he FALSELY MALIGNED Bill:
*  I worked for IBM for 32 years!
*  I was part of the local IBM Pre-Announcement Team for S/360
    which included PL/I [actually it was called NPL as part of
    that announcement package].  And I participated in some of
    the pre-release testing of PL/I(F) before its first GA
    release.
*  I have also worked closely with the IBM compiler development
    organization since I retired in 1993 - 16 years ago last
    week.
*  I am and have been working either as the IBM Liason or as a
    Project Manager with the languages projects of IBM user groups
    for FORTY YEARS.  Currently I am the Project Manager for the
    SHARE Languages Environment, COBOL, PL/I, C/C++, REXX Project.
*  And, just for the record:  Bill is the SHARE Requirements
    Coordinator for our SHARE project and for several other
    languages and application development projects.  He is VERY
    INVOLVED with PL/I, as well as with the other languages and
    related products.  Bill has processed EVERY requirement submitted
    for PL/I, COBOL, and other products for a number of years.  [It's
    been long enough that I don't remember how long.  I just know that
    I very much appreciate all the work and effort he has put in
    trying to represent the need of the users of IBM languages and
    other tools.]

[More inserted below...]

On 07/09/09 10:26 pm, robin wrote:
> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Robin,
>>    When/How have we established that I have nothing to do with PL/I?  If you
>> have, you really need to let the SHARE languages project know that.
>>
>> We, have, however established that you are inconsistent. (See my other recent
>> notes).
>
> You haven't established anything of the sort.  You are deceitful.

And, you are simply ignorant of the FACTS!

The most clear indicator that a person is wrong and has lost an argument
is when there are no FACTS in the response, but only personal attacks.
You, Robin, clearly fall into this category.

It is time for your to obey the "Law of Holes"...  When you find
yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!  Admit you are WRONG!

FACT:  PL/I for Windows is NO LONGER an IBM "PRODUCT"
        Yes, it WAS a stand-alone product SEVERAL YEARS AGO.
        But it NOT NOW.
FACT:  PL/I for Windows can only be ordered as part of a larger
        composite product.
FACT:  The way a 'component' runs has absolutely NO relationship
        to the way it is MARKETED.  e.g., My own product has a
        number of separate components that can be executed
        independently of other components.  But, you cannot
        license only one component of the PRODUCT.  The same is
        true of PL/I for Windows.

As many other people have raised the challenge to you:
     Either provide an IBM PRODUCT NUMBER [and, ideally a PRICE]
     that will allow licensing ONLY the PL/I for Windows compiler
     and related run-time components, OR ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG.

And, also as others have pointed out:  It is totally immaterial what you
have acquired in the past, or what you may have running on your
system(s).  I have install CDs for the OLD, NO LONGER AVAILABLE:
*  PL/I for Windows
*  PL/I for OS/2
*  COBOL for Windows
*  COBOL for OS/2
There are OBSOLETE Product Numbers associated with each of the above.
BUT IBM will not honor any requests to license those old product
numbers.  That does not mean that the Windows compilers and run-times
are not available.  They just are not available as independent,
separately orderable products.  Rather they are only orderable as part
of a composite product, along with other application development tools.
  The old OS/2 products are no longer available period. --  Not as
stand-alone products; not as part of any composite product.  It has no
impact on my ability to regularly execute both the COBOL and PL/
compiles and the code they produce on my OS/2 [actually eComStation]
systems.

>> What we have not established, but I suspect that we could, is that you have
>> never admitted an error (even a typo) within this newsgroup and that this is a
>> fairly well known fact within the newsgroup.
>
> I see that you are still behaving like a 3-year old.  Grow up.

A mature person admits when he/she is wrong.  And, Bill is correct,
while you are wrong.
[Also, see above - Re: Absence of facts.]
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 03:43:25 -0500, William M. Klein wrote in post :
<news:N4i5m.349929$Tp1.189668@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com> :

> As for buying it, again, provide a method (phone, webpage, whatever) whereby
> "IBM PL/I for Windows" can be purchased from IBM or even from a reseller

Even when it was a real product available singly, we had to beat the local
IBM agents around the head with wet herrings for 3 months before they
managed to find it for us.

--
Tim C.
On the other hand, getting RDz (the product that DOES include a component of

  http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/rdz/

and look for "Ready to Buy" - or click on the "How to Buy" in the navigation bar

There is also a (easy to find) "Download the trial" button to get a TIME-LIMITED
trial of this product.

 * * * *

Please NOTE:
   I say that this is "easy" to do; I do *not* say that this is an inexpensive
(or even reasonably priced) product - if your desire is to do "just" Pl/I
development on Windows for applications targeted at Windows deployment. It is
available (the bundle, not the PL/I component by itself) - but it is certainly
NOT the "normal price range" for Windows developers.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"Tim C." <spamtrap@tele2.at> wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 03:43:25 -0500, William M. Klein wrote in post :
> <news:N4i5m.349929$Tp1.189668@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com> :
>
>> As for buying it, again, provide a method (phone, webpage, whatever) whereby
>> "IBM PL/I for Windows" can be purchased from IBM or even from a reseller
>
> Even when it was a real product available singly, we had to beat the local
> IBM agents around the head with wet herrings for 3 months before they
> managed to find it for us.
>
> --
> Tim C.

0
wmklein40 (279)

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

[News] Windows Users: "It's Not Me, It's You"
Many net users 'not safety-aware' ,----[ Quote ] | Fewer than half of the UK's 29m adult internet users believe | they are responsible for protecting personal information online, | a survey suggests. `---- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6472723.stm Much like people who get disconnected and then try to blame administrators for the viruses that their Windows PCs are spreading across the network. What does TheStreet say? Weekend Reading ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's bad week: The company was victimized by identity thieves, | and new data show a continuing search declin...

what the difference between &quot;Wait Until Next ms Multiple&quot; and &quot;wait&quot; vi's ?
Hi all. &nbsp; 1) What the difference between "Wait Until Next ms Multiple" and&nbsp; "wait"&nbsp;&nbsp; vi's ? 2) If i put thos vi's inside state machine, for example, inside state number 3, when the program reach to this state, the delay will ganerate&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; before or after the execution of other component in this state&nbsp; ? &nbsp; &nbsp; thanks :) Both will start in parallel to all the other nodes in the same frame but they still have different finctionality.&nbsp;You cannot guarantee&nbsp;what starts first.&nbsp;The main differences show up if you have other slow tasks in other frames of the same state or the slow task starts before the wait. &nbsp; Wait next ms multiple: This is only useful in a loop, because it tries to keep the same time frequency, irrespective of how long other nodes take. The first call might be way off. &nbsp; Analogy: Do something always 10 minutes after the hour. (If you start working on the hour, the first wait will only take 10 minutes, but then all further tasks will be spaced exactly one hour.) &nbsp; Wait(ms) Wait a give amount of time before continuing. &nbsp; Analogy: do something, take a 1 hour break, do something, take another 1 hour break, etc. The repetition rate will somewhat depend on the lenght it takes to do the other tasks. &nbsp; Here's a nice write-up by NI: &nbsp; <a href="htt...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

Dijkstra's "Enumeration" = "Metrics" his "Abstraction" = "Quality"
"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool under the severe boundary condition that we only use it very moderately. We should appreciate abstraction as our main mental technique to reduce the demands made upon enumerative reasoning." ~ EW Dijkstra This is critically decisive because Dijkstra is saying that in most *software engineering" contexts, most of the time, abstraction is key relative to "metrics", the numerical, the quantitative. It is a TOWWWEEERRRING, grand slam "home run". It is of Doug William's 3-4 perfectly pitched Super Bowl touchdowns. It is growth in insight after Dijkstra one of THE very best ran into major impasses attempting to drive development with metrics. His insight is that ABSTRACTION should "lead" the way. While there is the dialectic: metrics<=>abstraction The predominant factor to engage and lead software engineering by is "abstraction". So notation wise better: metrics<=>abstraction* And to denote analyzing or summarizing the dialectic applied in whatever context, from point 'a' to 'b': a,b{ metrics<=>abstraction* Discrete points: a,b; l,q{ metrics<=>abstraction* Have at your own meaningful fun! Elliott -- Global Plans + IID = part of an optimal approach On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:36:17 -0500, "Universe" <universe@tAkEcovadOuT.net> wrote: >"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool und...

[why are trailing '\n's missing in "$x"]: x="$(printf "hi\n\n")"; printf "$x"
Ex ~ $ printf "hi\n\n"|cat -A hi$ $ ~ $ x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" ~ $ printf "$x"|cat -A hi~ $ Why are the trailing '\n's not in "$x"? Is there any way to stop this, w/o using a tempfile? -- thanks! On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: > x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" Best regards, Cyrus In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >> x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" > >x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" > >Best regards, >Cyrus Which is, at best, a pedantic nitpick, having nothing to do with OP's problem. In fact, ITYM: x="$(printf "%s\n\n" "hi")" (which still doesn't solve OP's problem, but at least demonstrates better pedantry) -- Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive. On 12/30/2013 12:00 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, > Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >> On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >>> x="...

What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5
Hi, I wanted to remove the first zero from 0416 E. BAILEY 101, but not from 0 S 356 MADISON. I ran the following code and I have problem with the line: ------------------------ street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; ---------------------- My desired output is something like this under one single variable "street_n": 416 E. BAILEY 101 0S356 MADISON Hope to get some help from out there. Thanks, Duckhye. data a; input street $1-19; cards; 0416 E. BAILEY 101 0 S 356 MADISON ; run; data b;set a; addr1=put(left(scan...

putty terminal, where's the "do" "select" "remove" key?
I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 keys are. Any help??? On 2013-05-14 16:45:02 +0000, jon@jonathanleslie.com said: > I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 > keys are. Any help??? Start reading here <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/function-keys.html> and here <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#faq-keyboard> and particularly here <http://www.parsec.com/general/technical.php?i=2513&r=7K5K3H&d=OpenVMS>. qv: NumLock is PF1 in VT400 mode, and the editing keypad is listed there, too. In general, dependencies on function keys are full of fail in this era. It hurts, yes, but the faster you get rid of your dependences on this morass, the better off you'll be. -- Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:45:02 PM UTC-4, j...@jonathanleslie.com wrote: > I want to start using putty, but I can't figure out where all the lk201 keys are. Any help??? Forget about PuTTY. Tera Term is a much better free VT emulation. http://logmett.com/index.php?/products/teraterm.html Neil Rieck Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/OpenVMS.html In article <0327fda4-76e6-4197-ae6d-c8ffa7e172a1@googlegroups.com>, jon@jonathanleslie.com writes: > I want to start using putty, but I can'...

In Metapost, What's the difference between "=" and ":="?
Hi, I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in Metapost? Do you know what's the difference? Thanks, Peng Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in > Metapost? > > Do you know what's the difference? := is an assignment: "go put that value in there right now", = is just another constraint that will be solved: "go find a solution that satisfies this constraint." Of course, with "a=3cm", there's not many values that will work for a. Consider a = 3cm; a := 4cm; If the second assignment were just an equation, mpost would complain that 3cm does not equal 4cm, because you're saying you want a to be 3cm and 4cm at the same time. HTH Ulrich -- Getting lost in the \footnotes and \temporals? Talcum makes LaTeX more fun. Now with whole new bugs ;), and, of course, still with special Beamer support. http://talcum.sarovar.org/ (Current release: 0.4.3) Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes: > I don't see explanation about the difference between "=" and ":=" in > Metapost? > > Do you know what's the difference? The METAFONT-book (among others) explains this. := is just the ordinary assignment of most programming languages: it unbinds the variable at the left side, calculates the value at the right side and then ass...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5
Dear Dyang, You have this street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 ; But I think you want this street_n=addr1_1||" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; HTH, Charles Patridge "Charles Patridge" <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in message news:200403041919.i24JJEo15087@listserv.cc.uga.edu... > Dear Dyang, > > You have this > > street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 ; > > B...

[News] ZDNet's Robin Harris Calls Windows Vista "Lame"
Why is Vista lame? ,----[ Quote ] | I think competition is a Good Thing. Hiring smart guys like Ray Ozzie | is a good idea, but Nostradamus himself can't save you with 5 year | development cycles. We'll know they're serious when they fix that. | | Until then, mighty Microsoft will continue to bring forth mediocre | products, a day late and a dollar short. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=124 Also this: The case against Vista ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft claims Vista was a success. True, millions of copies | sold, but, most of these copies turn out to have been | preinsta...

sed 's/"""//' foobar | more
Hello I am a total newbie to sed, and I am using sed on DOS, I guess from some kind of Unix-compatible toolset that is installed: >C:\tmp>which sed /usr/bin/sed Please tell me why is this (foobar is an empty file): C:\tmp>sed 's/"""//' foobar | more sed: can't read |: No such file or directory sed: can't read more: No such file or directory Normally, DOS | is a special character and is not included on the command line for commands (such as sed), instead, it is a pipe. But here, sed wants to think | is a file. Now, if I omit one quote, everything wo...

90's Game -- Spielberg's "Director's Chair"
This seems like a long shot (get it...long shot?) but is anybody reading this group familiar with a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair from the mid-nineties? Actually, it's more of a movie- studio familiarizer than a game, per se, but it does have its strong points in terms of recreating a certain, Hollywood-y atmosphere. I'm curious because, when I run this program on a Windows 2000 box, I keep hitting an "Internal Error" during my first dip in The Lab. I can hear the first line of dialogue repeat about three times, then it shuts me down. Becau...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 #4
Thank you for the code. That's what I really wanted to see. I have some problem in understanding the code: particularly, ` '0'* <^w ?*> from your code rx = rxparse("` '0'* <^w ?*> to =1"); I know the tag expression and *, but I do not understand the rest characters. Can you explain it for me? Many thanks, Duckhye >>> "Chang Y. Chung" <chang_y_chung@HOTMAIL.COM> 03/04/04 01:36PM >>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:55:20 -0600, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hi, >I wanted to remove the first zero from 0416 E. BAILEY 101, but not from >0 S 356 MADISON. >I ran the following code and I have problem with the line: >------------------------ >street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; >---------------------- > Hi, Duck-Hye, You need to add one more bar character after addr1_1 for the above line. For removing the leading zeros, try the following rx solution. Cheers, Chang <sasl:code> /* test data */ options nocenter; data one; length line $50; line = "0416 E. BAILEY 101"; output; line = "0016 E. BAILEY 101"; output; line = "0001 E. BAILEY 101"; output; line = "0 S 356 MADISON"; output; line = "00 S 356 MADISON"; output; run; data two; set one; if _n_ =1 then do; length new_line $50; /* remove any leading 0^s without ...

Re: What's wrong with this: street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5 #3
If you run Version 9, use the CATX function instead. On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:55:20 -0600, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hi, >I wanted to remove the first zero from 0416 E. BAILEY 101, but not from >0 S 356 MADISON. >I ran the following code and I have problem with the line: >------------------------ >street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; >---------------------- > >My desired output is something like this under one single variable "street_n": >416 E. BAILEY 101 >0S356 MADISON > >Hope to get some help from out there. >Thanks, >Duckhye. > > >data a; input street $1-19; >cards; >0416 E. BAILEY 101 >0 S 356 MADISON >; >run; > >data b;set a; >addr1=put(left(scan(street, 1, ' ')), 10.); >addr2=put(left(scan(street, 2, ' ')), 10.); >addr3=put(left(scan(street, 3, ' ')), 10.); >addr4=put(left(scan(street, 4, ' ')), 10.); >addr5=put(left(scan(street, 5, ' ')), 10.); >If addr1 =:'0 ' then do; >street_n=INPUT(compress(addr1||addr2||addr3)||" "||compress(addr4) ||" "||compress(addr5), $50.); >end; >else If addr1 ^=:'0 ' and addr1=:'0' then >do; >addr1_1=substr(addr1,2,length(addr1)); >street_n=addr1_1|" "||addr2||" "||addr3||" "||addr4||" "||addr5; >end; ...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

What's with the "OK's?"
Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine, loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has characters that say "OK." I understand that the characters in these games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide. My frustrating few minutes with Never...

Suddenly Can't Use "ifstream"s and "ofstream"s
I had a working piece of code that successfully read from files with the "ifstream" type and wrote to files with the "ofstream" type. This code is made up of a number of different files. In the course of the job I needed for two of these files to have access to one piece of information, so I created a class that I called "CSuffix" and stored the common information there. So I created a "Suffix.h" file that looks like: #pragma once class CSuffix { public: static void initialize (); static void increment (); static c...

What's the difference between "JDK" and "JRE"?
It seems both have a java.exe which can be used to execute the byte code(.class) but then jre does not have the javac compiler. broli wrote: > It seems both have a java.exe which can be used to execute the byte > code(.class) but then jre does not have the javac compiler. You basically answered your own question. -- Sabine Dinis Blochberger Op3racional www.op3racional.eu broli wrote: > It seems both have a java.exe which can be used to execute the byte > code(.class) but then jre does not have the javac compiler. Google is your friend http://www.google.com/search?q=jre+jdk+di...

Lisp's "some" and "every" functions
Dear Perl community, Recently I've been learning some Lisp on my own, and I've come across two Lisp functions that I wish Perl had: "some" and "every". They work somewhat like "grep" and "map" in that they operate on a list given a function, but they return only a boolean value. For example, in Lisp, to find out if at least one number in a list is an odd number, you could write: (some #'oddp '(1 2 3 4 5)) or even: (some (lambda (x) (= 1 (mod x 2))) '(1 2 3 4 5)) In Perl, you COULD write: if ( gre...

In xml schema, what's the difference between attribute "final" and "block" in element "element"

"What's new " window
When launching Analog Design Environement, how to get rid of the "What's new ..." window ? Depending for which application and version!? ddserv is the Framework I guess, where asimenv is the Analog Environment, layout is what is says. Put these variables in your .cdsnev file and substitute the version strings to the version you are using. ddserv showWhatsNew string "5.1" asimenv showWhatsNew string "5.1.2" layout showWhatsNew string "5.1" Bernd okguy wrote: > When launching Analog Design Environement, how to get rid of the "Wha...

IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation
to: comp.lang.pl1 As a follow up to previous notes, if anyone in this group is interested in the current IBM documentation for "IBM PL/I for Windows", you can go to the page: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/library/ Under the paragraph that states, "WebSphere Developer for zSeries and WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer contain PL/I for Windows. The following PL/I for Windows documents are available:" you will find the links to the MOST recent documentation under: "WebSphere Developer for zSeries - Language Reference - Programming Guide" There is still some discussions going on, but to the best of my knowledge (and I *COULD* be wrong about this) it is (and will always be) impossible to purchase "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a product "by itself". However, this product (compiler, run-time and development tools for both Windows and zSeries applications) is a "built-in" part of IBM product, "WebsSphere Developer for zSeries" See: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ for additional information on this product. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise for Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement delivery channel. "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netco...

"out" and "in out"

Web resources about - "IBM PL/I for Window" is not a prduct (waiting for Robin's confrimation) - comp.lang.pl1