Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows

Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will
receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have
suggestions how to proceed?
For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every
RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding
record definition?
How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C
drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX
exec)?
   Thanks,
Diane Alves

0
alvesdn (1)
12/23/2004 10:40:10 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

RECSIZE and record definitions should be OK, but you'll find out quickly
enough if your declarations conflict. PL/I will hide the lf - crlf
differences for you.

Your main problem will indeed by the Unix -> Windows issues, in particular
with file names; this is typical of any O/S migration, and is not PL/I
specific.

<alvesdn@nosc.mil> wrote in message
> Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will
> receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have
> suggestions how to proceed?
> For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every
> RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding
> record definition?
> How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C
> drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX
> exec)?
>   Thanks,
> Diane Alves

> How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C
> drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX
> exec)?

You need to make a system variable for every file you need - the hard way
is to do it by hand somewhere in the  My Computer -> system variables
dialogue. Easier is to use the Project system that comes with the compiler,
but I have found that to be ok while playing with PLI but too awkward and
inflexible for our needs. We use REXX as a sort of job control language,
and call the REXX procs from a windows BAT file. Files are allocated,
deleted etc in the REXX proc with statements like this, for example:
Dummy=SysFileDelete(SYSPRINT)
Dummy = VALUE('DD:SYSPRINT',SYSPRINT||',LRECL(300),APPEND(Y),SHARE(ALL)',Env)

where the variable sysprint contains the full path of the dataset.

We use Windows 2000.
This is perfect for any sort of batch jobs, but you can also use the
various options on the FILE option in PLI to define the actual dataset
location.
--
Tim C.
Actually, Tim, he (and you) can just use title('/thewindowsfilename,...') on

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:10:37 +0100, Mark Yudkin wrote:

> Actually, Tim, he (and you) can just use title('/thewindowsfilename,...') on
> the open statement. There is no need to create DD: variables on Windows. The
> DD options go after the file name on the title option.

Doh! When I said FILE option I meant the OPEN Statement. Too much scotch
over christmas !
I've used that way a few times, if there's no "batch" control available
it's very good.
We had a lot of batch jobs to migrate from MVS and found going the REXX way
very useful.

--
Tim C.

Re: Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows
From: "alvesdn@nosc.mil" <alvesdn@nosc.mil>, http://groups.google.com Date: 23 Dec 2004 14:40:10 -0800 .. | Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will | receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have | suggestions how to proceed? | For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every | RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding | record definition? .. Most likely you will need to check declarations of FIXED BINARY in records. Default in Windows PL/I is fixed bin (15), but for Unix will probably be FIXED BIN (31). However, in Windows PL/I you can specify ANSI, whIch gives a default of FIXED BIN (31). ANSI does not support scaled fixed binary, whereas Windows PL/I does (IBM rules). .. | How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C | drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX | exec)? | Thanks, | Diane Alves On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:24:00 GMT, robin <robin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote: > From: "alvesdn@nosc.mil" <alvesdn@nosc.mil>, http://groups.google.com > Date: 23 Dec 2004 14:40:10 -0800 > . > | Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will > | receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have > | suggestions how to proceed? > | For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every > | RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 charac...

Re: Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows #2
"Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com> writes: > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:24:00 GMT, robin <robin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote: > > > From: "alvesdn@nosc.mil" <alvesdn@nosc.mil>, http://groups.google.com > > Date: 23 Dec 2004 14:40:10 -0800 > > . > > | Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will > > | receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have > > | suggestions how to proceed? > > | For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every > > | RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding > > | record definition? > > . > > Most likely you will need to check declarations of FIXED BINARY > > in records. Default in Windows PL/I is fixed bin (15), > > but for Unix will probably be FIXED BIN (31). > > However, in Windows PL/I you can specify ANSI, whIch gives > > a default of FIXED BIN (31). ANSI does not support scaled fixed binary, > > whereas Windows PL/I does (IBM rules). > The ANSI standard does. The dialect that IBM impmented is then not full > ANSI. IBM supports ANSI. ...

Problem running mwc.pl and mpc.pl on Windows 8
Hi, When i try to run the following command: mwc.pl -type vc10 Test.mwc It prompted the following message: MPC_ROOT was set to C:\ACE_wrappers\MPC. Using C:/ACE_wrappers/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/MPC.cfg CIAO_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. DANCE_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. ERROR: There is no longer a default project type. Please specify one in MPC.cfg or use the -type option. The following software are installed on my machine: - Windows 8 Pro x64 - ACE+TAO-2.2a p0 - ActivePerl-5.16.3.1603-MSWin32-x64-296746 I do not have this issue when running on Windows 7 SP1 x64. Any help will be appreciated. Regards, Wei Keong Hi Wei, >When i try to run the following command: >mwc.pl -type vc10 Test.mwc > >It prompted the following message: >MPC_ROOT was set to C:\ACE_wrappers\MPC. >Using C:/ACE_wrappers/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/MPC.cfg >CIAO_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. >DANCE_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. >ERROR: There is no longer a default project type. > Please specify one in MPC.cfg or use the -type option. > >The following software are installed on my machine: >- Windows 8 Pro x64 >- ACE+TAO-2.2a p0 >- ActivePerl-5.16.3.1603-MSWin32-x64-296746 > >I do not have this issue when running on Windows 7 SP1 x64. > >Any help will be ...

Re: VisualAge PL/I for Windows updates
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> writes: > > "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message > news:2Prvb.8237$sb4.7770@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... > > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.11/windows/readme.htm > > > > My assumption is that anyone who is a "serious" customer of IBM's > workstation > > PL/I already knows this - but just in case anyone reads other > threads and is > > confused, I thought that I would post this. > > > > The online documentation for this product is available from: > > > > http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/pliwin/library/ > Well yes, IBM is still issuing update fixpacks for OS/2 until 2006, > but development has ceased, just as development appears to have > ceased for Windows PL/I V2.1 last upgraded in 1998 Development for VisalAge PL/I did not cease in 1998, as you well know. Peter Elderon emailed you that development goes hand-in-hand with the z/OS product, which is current. "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:nnKvb.22334$aT.781@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Development for VisalAge PL/I did not cease in 1998, > as you well know. > > Peter Elderon emailed you that development goes > hand-in-hand with the z/OS product, which is current. > Yes he certainly did state that back in MAY 2003. My q...

Upgrading to currently supported IBM PL/I for Windows (was: How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco
David, The following (repost) includes your note from the end of August where you stated, "no upgrade pricing for existing Visual Age PL/I customers), ..." and my reply showing the one of the part numbers and where it is documented. *** Dare you to admit that you were WRONG when you stated (today), "That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware of) since this is the first post I have raised this issue, (must be someone else who really gives a damn)." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:... > ain't no such thing as > "a Z/OS PL/I for Windows pkg" > > So you are correct (for a change) there isn't anyone who has upgraded to it. > > For any other question (to correct your publicly stated misconceptions on how > the product works), check out the manual for yourself at: > > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27007348 > > As far as IBM selling copies of its "Websphere Developer for z/OS" product, > there have certainly been lots of sales (as reported at IBM user groups) as > well as the fact that many copies are "given away" with other IBM product > purchases. > > As far as upgrade pricing and ordering, check out the announcement at: > > http://www-306.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&s...

VisualAge PL/I for Windows "updates"
I won't swear that it is the latest, but at least one recent (June 2002) update to the VisualAge PL/I for Windows is available at: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=622&context=SSXJAC&q=pl%2fi&uid=swg24004908&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en+en As described on that page: "This download upgrades VisualAge PL/I V2.1.3 thru V2.1.9 to release V2.1.11 " For more information, see the "readme" file at: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.11/windows/readme.htm My assumption is that anyone who is a "serious" customer of IBM's workstation PL/I already knows this - but just in case anyone reads other threads and is confused, I thought that I would post this. The online documentation for this product is available from: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/pliwin/library/ -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com Make that June 2003 (not June 2002) (oops) -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:2Prvb.8237$sb4.7770@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... > I won't swear that it is the latest, but at least one recent (June 2002) update > to the VisualAge PL/I for Windows is available at: > > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=622&context=SSXJAC&q=pl%2fi&uid=swg24004908&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en+en > > As described on that page: > >...

Re: VisualAge PL/I for Windows updates #2
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> writes: > > "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message > news:nnKvb.22334$aT.781@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > > > Development for VisalAge PL/I did not cease in 1998, > > as you well know. > > > > Peter Elderon emailed you that development goes > > hand-in-hand with the z/OS product, which is current. > > > > Yes he certainly did state that back in MAY 2003. > My question to you is where is the Windows Visual Age upgrade > that goes "hand-in-hand" with the OCT 2003 Z/OS upgrade V3.2 -> V3.3 ? Read what I wrote. As I said before, the z/OS product is relatively new, and consequently requires updates. The Windows product is robust and does not need as frequent updates. The z/OS 3.3 enhancements are due in FixPak 12. (I already have a compiler that has the MEM* BIFs - they came with a compiler fix for a problem concerning a specific mixture of LIKE, DEFINE and arrays). FixPaks are issued regularly, and I'd reckon on availability of FP12 in the near future. "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:68Vvb.22931$aT.19730@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> writes: > > > "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message > > news:nnKvb.22334$aT.781@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > > >...

Liant PL/I
"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1134210064.904867.222520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > > So, I try to find another way. I see Liant compiler and contact with > them, but have one response only during to week. Have somebody > experience with that compiler? Someone asked about manuals for the Liant compiler. Titles are - Open PL/I Language Reference Manual; Open PL/I User's Guide; Open PL/I Quick Reference Guide robin wrote: > "MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1134210064.904867.222520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > >>So, I try to find another way. I see Liant compiler and contact with >>them, but have one response only during to week. Have somebody >>experience with that compiler? > > > Someone asked about manuals for the Liant compiler. Titles are - > > Open PL/I Language Reference Manual; > Open PL/I User's Guide; > Open PL/I Quick Reference Guide > > Originally, Liant Software Corporation was named Language Processors, Inc. (LPI) and their products were named LPI-BASIC, LPI-C, ..., LPI-PL/I, ... (IIRC Codewatch was originally LPI-DEBUG before they added the GUI). You can sometimes find manuals for these languages on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com as used books. Bob Lidral lidral at alum dot mit dot edu On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:18:15 GMT, "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote: >"MZN...

PL/I for Windows
IBM documentation on this product seems to be substandard (read: sucks). I'm trying to find an example and description of a windowed PL/I application. In OS/2 we'd call it a Presentation Manager Application, I don't know what the corresponding windows term is. The Language Reference and Programmer's Guide don't seem to have what I'm looking for. There has to be better information. If anyone is writing this kind of program, what did you use? Can anyone point me to sample code? Thanks. Peter_Flass@yahoo.com wrote: > IBM documentation on this product seems to be substandard (read: > sucks). I'm trying to find an example and description of a windowed > PL/I application. In OS/2 we'd call it a Presentation Manager > Application, I don't know what the corresponding windows term is. The > Language Reference and Programmer's Guide don't seem to have what I'm > looking for. There has to be better information. If anyone is writing > this kind of program, what did you use? Can anyone point me to sample > code? Thanks. I would not expect such information in the LRM at all. At least for Personal PL/I for OS/2, the product comes with a SAMPLES directory which includes two examples, PMDEMO and PMDEMO2, which use a PM window. It was necessary to add the LIBS(MULTI) option and use EXECMODE to select single processor operation to get PMDEMO2 to run. The PG includes a section which explains the PMDEMO2 exa...

Re: PL/I EXCEPTIONS (was: PL/I)
From: Peter Flass <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com>, Road Runner Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:18:55 GMT .. | Well, it never occurred to me either, until I wrote it. I'm not sure | it would work, although it seems valid. Actually, now that I've written | it I've thought of some uses, for example: | IF print_debug_info THEN DO; | ON ERROR PUT DATA; | END; | at the beginning of a program, so the user can control, maybe by a | run-time option, how errors are to be handled. .. You mean :- .. IF print_debug_info THEN DO; ON ERROR BEGIN; ON ERROR SYSTEM; PUT DATA; END; END; Yeah, that. robin wrote: > From: Peter Flass <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com>, Road Runner > Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:18:55 GMT > . > | Well, it never occurred to me either, until I wrote it. I'm not sure > | it would work, although it seems valid. Actually, now that I've written > | it I've thought of some uses, for example: > | IF print_debug_info THEN DO; > | ON ERROR PUT DATA; > | END; > | at the beginning of a program, so the user can control, maybe by a > | run-time option, how errors are to be handled. > . > You mean :- > . > IF print_debug_info THEN DO; > ON ERROR BEGIN; ON ERROR SYSTEM; PUT DATA; END; > END; ...

Re: PL/I ON statement (was: PL/I)
From: "Mark Yudkin" <myudkinATcompuserveDOTcom@boing.org>, CompuServe Interactive Services Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:55:48 +0100 .. | Important correction inline. .. I know that. I was referring to the case when the current procedure has been called by another. I was not clear. .. More than one ON statement can be executed in a given procedure (for the same condition), in which case the new ON-unit merely supplants the previous one. .. | "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:OUYId.131519$K7.53859@news-server.bigpond.net.au... | > Subject: Re: PL/I ON Statement (was: PL/I) | > From: "Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com>, Kednos | > Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:25:07 -0800 | > | On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:35:18 GMT, Peter Flass <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com> wrote: | > | > Right, but only if the statement was executed, that is, the bit | > | > 'print_debug_info' had been set before executing this construct (again, | > | > so I think, I'll have to test it.) The idea is to easily control the | > | > action for ERROR, in this case the generation of debug output, at run | > | > time. | > | | > | I think a test is in order. | > | When the compiler encounters the ON stmnt | > | it knows nothing of the the IF statement, | > | > ON is an executable statement. | > It is perfectly at home in an IF statement. Or a DO loop. Or wherever. | > In this case, it i...

PL/I (aka PL/1) ISO Standard
I can't tell if those asking about the PL/1 (should be PL/I?) Standard in the preprocessor thread were talking about the macro preprocessor or the language itself. However, if anyone is actually interested in the ISO Standard for the language, please check out the web site at: http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=12907 to the best of my memory (and I could be totally wrong on this) at least the "mainframe" compiler from IBM *never* actually conformed to this Standard. (There were some pretty obscure but real incompatibles between what the ISO Standard required and what IBM users expected). I do recall that there were several "conforming" compilers on other platforms (notably Unix and I think either Unisys or HP). Unlike Fortran and COBOL, the ISO PL/I (PL/1) standardization process is now "moribund". I think you can submit interpretation request and defect reports, but there is no ongoing work to ever produce another edition of the Standard. "Bill Klein" <wmklein@noreply.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:KpuVn.496096$rq1.248525@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com... |I can't tell if those asking about the PL/1 (should be PL/I?) Standard It's "PL/I". | in the preprocessor thread were talking about the macro preprocessor or the | language itself. It was clear that it was the preprocessor. | However, if anyone is actually interested in the ISO | Standa...

PL/1 for Windows
Hi Hanz, Our PL/1 product only runs on Redhat and SUSE. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Justin Cannell Account Executive Micro Focus 360 828 5324 312 401 2779 mobile 503 614 1862 fax hschmidt99@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi Hanz, > > > > Our PL/1 product only runs on Redhat and SUSE. Let me know if you have > any other questions. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Justin Cannell > Account Executive > Micro Focus > Justin -- nice to see Microfocus represented here! <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:48CdnUybr7H2MsrXnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d@lhtot.com... > Hi Hanz, > > > > Our PL/1 product only runs on Redhat and SUSE. Let me know if you have > any other questions. > > Do you allow test-drives, possibly time-limited or feature limited? -- mecej4 (Subject line changed - to reflect thread drift) to comp.lang.pl1 I suggest that you check out the web page at: http://www.microfocus.com/products/OpenPLI/index.asp You may want to follow the link for "Submit a Sales Inquiry" -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "mecej4" <mecej4@_no_spam_at_operamail.com> wrote in message news:h38em4$p3e$1@news.eternal-september.org... > > <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:48CdnUybr7H2MsrXnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d@lhtot.com... >> Hi Hanz, >> >> >> >> Our PL/1 product only runs...

pl/i
Hi, I am not a cobol programmer (although i know it a little), but for the current project we need a cobol program that will call a pl/i program. Anyone knows how? What things i have to consider? Louis You don't tell us your environment (operating system or compiler) - but if this HAPPENS to be an IBM mainframe environment (where PL/I is medium common), check out: "11.0 Chapter 11. Communicating between COBOL and PL/I" at: http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/CEEA4110/11.0 -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "Louis De Bevere&quo...

PL/I
PL/I users might like to view: http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/plistuff.htm ...

PL/1 for windows.
I've been using pl/1 since 1967. The beta release. I'm trying to get a compiler for WINXP to try it out(again). But I don't want to pay and arm & legs for it. Any Ideas?? Hanz "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:RfmdnWofk7ScflTbnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@neonova.net... > I've been using pl/1 since 1967. The beta release. I'm trying to get a > compiler for WINXP to try it out(again). But I don't want to pay and > arm & legs for it. > > Any Ideas?? Have you looked on the IBM site? IBM does not have PL/1 for windows. They had VisualAge PL/I for Windows, but have stop support it. Does anyone out there have it?? Thanx Hanz robin wrote: > "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:RfmdnWofk7ScflTbnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@neonova.net... > >>I've been using pl/1 since 1967. The beta release. I'm trying to get a >>compiler for WINXP to try it out(again). But I don't want to pay and >>arm & legs for it. >> >>Any Ideas?? > > > Have you looked on the IBM site? > > Hanz Schmidt wrote in message <46F9459C.1030002@hotmail.com>... >IBM does not have PL/1 for windows. They had VisualAge PL/I for Windows, >but have stop support it. The VA compiler was replaced with an updated one called Websphere PL/I, which is available from IBM The demo VA PLI compiler is still available. ...

PL/I for Windows(R)
When running VisualAge(TM) PL/I for Windows(R) V2.R0.00 and using /DEBUG with ILINK, I get 'applicatio0n failed to initialize properly (0xC0000005)' error message. When I REMOVE DEBUG , things work fine. Any ideas?? Hanz ...

[PL/SQL] DataBASE Interaction with PL/SQL
Hello Oracle Guru's, I know that PL/SQL does't accept any user inputs. but i need the following functionality like And Please do not ask the reason for. (My question is coming at the end of this part) Algorithm 1.Execute a procedure 2. accept some input parameters 3. check for some condition 4. pass those accepted parameter to the Dynamic SQL/cursor etc.... 5. Print the output using DBMS.Package 6.The END Here is a sample procedure, but this procedure will accept parameters only when a run the entire procedure (first time) ------------------------------------------- create or replace procedure test as t_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; t_ename varchar2(100); begin Select empname into t_ename from empmaster Where empno=t_empno; dbms_output.put_line('Name: '|| t_ename); -- p(t_ename) ; --thanks for asktom.oracle.com end; ---------------------------------------------- Out/put (Image only some i/o is translated from japaneseto english) empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; new 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := 'E1234567'; Procedure created SQL> exec test nameofthe employ here PL/SQLcompleted succ.... ------------------------------------------------- My question is How can i write a PL/SQL to perform the above algorithm i.e When i say EXEC test the following screnn should appear empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&...

VisualAge PL1 for Windows
2 questions. 1. What is the current version for VisualAge PL1 for Windows? My version is V2.R1.08 and was wondering if something newer is available. 2. Is IBM planning a version for the 64 bit Windows? Thanks Randy Gress The most current IBM "windows" targetted PL/I product is the PL/I compoent of "WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer" Check out: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/studioenterprisedev/ You can get the Programming Guide from: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg27005323 (I don't know the answer to the 64-bit question. I do know that the z/OS product is NOT 64-bit yet - IBM has not given any "positive" response to requests for that - even though 64-bit Assembler, C/C++ and LE are now available) -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com <rgress@rdgroup.com> wrote in message news:1113600752.301858.321110@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >2 questions. > > 1. What is the current version for VisualAge PL1 for Windows? My > version is V2.R1.08 and was wondering if something newer is available. > > 2. Is IBM planning a version for the 64 bit Windows? > > Thanks > Randy Gress > 1) 2.1.12 (2.1.13 was due "soon"). You can download the update from ftp.software.ibm.com. You'll need 2.1.10 too, as you can't go to 2.1.12 from 2.1.8, the path being 2.1.0 -> 2.1.7 -> 2.1.10 -> 2.1.12 (intermediate versions are permitted...

Liant Open PL/I
http://www.liant.com/products/pl1 Robin, below is a re-post of my inquiry sent to www.liant.com/support/email several months back <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I am providing info to comp.lang.pl1 newsgroup readers about available PL/I compilers for Windows. 1. Does OPEN PL/I support Win32 API programming with libraries/etc ? 2. OPEN PL/I isnt listed as a current supported product, why is that? 3. Does Liant have a active PL/I development team? If not what is your assessment of PL/I's future as a viable language. 4. What is the price? Any info provided will be shared with the newsgroup readers (as is this inquiry).. Thanks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Liant never responded to my email inquiry, and afaik has never made an appearance in this NG, why is that? Also you need to update your "FAQ" with the following TRUE statements. 1. PL/I is NOT more powerful than Fortran 2. PL/I is a dying language 3. PL/I adherents are ALL old guys trying to hold on until retirement You are welcome! On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:35:30 GMT, David Frank <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote: > Robin, below is a re-post of my inquiry sent to > www.liant.com/support/email > several months back > > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<&...

PL/I
Ironspring PL/I is available on OS/2. Free download from: http://home.roadrunner.com/~pflass/PLI/ A Linux version is being prepared also.. robin wrote: > Ironspring PL/I is available on OS/2. Free download from: ...... > Nothing to do with Ironspring. Seems to be a diatribe against Time Warner. Peter Peter J Seymour wrote: > robin wrote: >> Ironspring PL/I is available on OS/2. Free download from: > ..... >> > Nothing to do with Ironspring. Seems to be a diatribe against Time Warner. > Peter Robin posted that. That link is my &qu...

PL/I for windows #2
So: What is the web address for the demo PL/I for windows??? Hanz <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote: >So: What is the web address for the demo PL/I for windows??? Hi Hanz, Try This: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/demos/ Windows: Download PLIWINTB.ZIP Bill THANX Hanz Bill Buckels wrote: > <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >>So: What is the web address for the demo PL/I for windows??? > > > Hi Hanz, > > Try This: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/demos/ > > Windows: Download PLIWINTB.ZIP > > Bill > > > Please DO note the date on that file. It is now over a decade old. That "demo" version is NOT compatible with currently supported PL/I compilers (on any platform). It certainly will give you a "free" (demo) version of a PL/I compiler for Windows, but not one that is current in functionality. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "Bill Buckels" <bbuckels@mts.net> wrote in message news:H5qCl.30935$Q42.24713@newsfe12.iad... > > <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote: > >>So: What is the web address for the demo PL/I for windows??? > > Hi Hanz, > > Try This: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/demos/ > > Windows: Download PLIWINTB.ZIP > > Bill > > > So there is NO PL/I for windows.... Thanx Hanz William M. Klein wrote: > Please...

Re: PL/I reads arbitrary files (was PL/I cant ...)
Subject: PL/I cant read arbitrary files From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:25:00 GMT .. PL/I has been able to write and write arbitrary files since the first release back in 1966. .. You know this; you have been told many times before. ...

Random ACM References
Here are a couple of random ACM references - CDC PL/I: "Abrahams, 1979 "The CIMS PL/I compiler" CIMS PL/I is an implementation of PL/I on the Control Data 6600 computer. (no DOI) PL/I Virtual Machines: Sitton, et.al., 1973 "The PL/EXUS language and virtual machine" This paper describes a high level general purpose language which evolved from another high level systems programming language. As well, the compiler, pseudocode, and virtual machine are discussed in some detail. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/953144.953164 Wade and Schneider, 1973 "A general-purpose high-level language machine for minicomputers" (no DOI) PL/I Hardware: Sugimoto, 1969 "PL/I Reducer and Direct Processor" A computing system is discussed which is aimed at high speed execution of programs written in a problem-oriented language. This computing system has a new machine language. Parallel processing of consecutive instructions and the type of data conversion required for an operation can be easily indicated in the machine language. PL/I is selected for a problem-oriented source language. (no DOI) ...

Web resources about - Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows - comp.lang.pl1

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...