Does IBM now support building PL/I application for Windows?

I found that PL/I is deprecated in Rational Developer for System =D1
(both Java and EGL).
0
mikezmn (64)
12/6/2011 8:35:18 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Upgrading to currently supported IBM PL/I for Windows (was: How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco
David, The following (repost) includes your note from the end of August where you stated, "no upgrade pricing for existing Visual Age PL/I customers), ..." and my reply showing the one of the part numbers and where it is documented. *** Dare you to admit that you were WRONG when you stated (today), "That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware of) since this is the first post I have raised this issue, (must be someone else who really gives a damn)." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:... > ain't no such thing as > "a Z/OS PL/I for Windows pkg" > > So you are correct (for a change) there isn't anyone who has upgraded to it. > > For any other question (to correct your publicly stated misconceptions on how > the product works), check out the manual for yourself at: > > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27007348 > > As far as IBM selling copies of its "Websphere Developer for z/OS" product, > there have certainly been lots of sales (as reported at IBM user groups) as > well as the fact that many copies are "given away" with other IBM product > purchases. > > As far as upgrade pricing and ordering, check out the announcement at: > > http://www-306.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&s...

re: IBM continues PL/I support (was: IBM continues ...)
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:48:40 GMT > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. .. That doesn't mean anything. There are other languages available on AIX. It's just a specific announcement about those compilers. .. > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. .. We know you're lying, and you know you're lying. .. Peter Elderon wrote to you several months ago saying that the Windows product is supported. .. It's a current and on-going support in parallel with the z/os Enterprise compiler. .. The Enterprise compiler was developed from the workstation (Windows compiler), and is compatible with it. This is to enable the development on the PC of programs for z/os, and vice versa. The Windows VisualAge product can emulate the z/os machine, and can operate in Windows (PC) mode, thus allowing the PC product to operate directly on z/os data and to generate such data for use on z/os when required. .. > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I You know that you are lying. We know it too. .. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ .. No-one...

Win32:Printer Windows x86 build with FreeImage.dll support build issues
Hi, I'm trying to build Win32::Printer with Freeimage.dll support (under windows xp using the MS free compilers). The default build is to have it without FreeImage support when you install it using 'c:\perl\bin \cpan' , so I am manually unzipping the source ans running makefile.pl, then nmake. When I do this I get referneces to delayimp.lib not being found, but it works OK. HOWEVER, when I run the makefile.pl with command line options (ARGS), that trigger the "do you want freeimage support' etc, and I say yes - the delayimp.lib is used and the compilation fails with: &q...

re: IBM PL/I is supported
Subject: Re: PL/I examples please From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:03:45 GMT > "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message > news:smBub.16820$aT.10328@news-server.bigpond.net.au... >> From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida >> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:50:47 GMT >> >> > and its for sure you FAKE PL/I >> > enthusiasts havent purchased the only other option the $3000 >> > IBM Visual Age PL/I for Windows (now dropped from IBM's >> > upgrading).. >> . >> Again you lie. You lie because it has not been dropped. You lie about the price. >> The full product (which has full z/OS support as well as >> Windows support) can be purchased for as little as $475 >> (upgrade). .. > A upgrade is NOT the full product, this has been explained to you > before by others here, but you fail to grasp the distinction. .. READ WHAT I WROTE. It says "FULL PRODUCT". FULL PRODUCT. FULL PRODUCT. Do you know what that means? It means FULL PRODUCT. "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:c6Vub.18346$aT.14299@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > You lie about the price. > > READ WHAT I WROTE. > It says "FULL PRODUCT". FULL PRODUCT. FULL PRODUCT. > > Do you know what that m...

Re: IBM withdraws Windows support
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:19:21 GMT | "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eJxcc.417363$jH.6122276@twister.tampabay.rr.com... | | > 2. The software development web page says COBOL exists for Windows NT | > if you pull down the eye-brow to see the selections avail. there is NO | > COBOL listed | > for Windows NT, why NOT? | | Whoops! Visual Age Cobol for Windows still exists, Well, of course it does. Sooo, you fnally admit that you're a charlatan! ...

Re: IBM has not withdrawn Windows support
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> writes: > > I repeat, its obvious IBM is phasing out ALL support for Windows > development. You are a charlatan; you know that is utterly false. You received a statement from Peter Elderon that your gratituous claims are false. ...

re: IBM continues PL/I support
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:51:55 GMT "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:vgxub.6097$n56.4610@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... > Alternatively, if one *WANTS* IBM to provide "new" PL/I compilers on other > platforms (than z/OS) one could submit SHARE requirements for such. > > -- > Bill Klein > wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com .. > I see you posted the Z/OS PL/I v3.3 upgrade announcement several weeks > back. > Will you confirm to the reading impaired here that it doesnt > include Windows PL/I in its OS system prerequisite section? .. IBM has been working on z/OS recently, because it is a relatively new product, and naturally there was an upgrade announcement as a result of that work. .. It doesn't imply or suggest anything about their other PL/I compilers, which have been on the market for a number of years, and are now robust complers. They do not need as frequent updates as the new compiler on z/OS. ...

IBM continues PL/I support withdrawal
I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) were just updated, but not PL/I.. Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats receiving development support. Bottom line: There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ IE. His FAQ touts a $15,000 (you gotta be kidding) Liant PL/I that Liant doesnt include in their product SUPPORT list and havent updated in YEARS. "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YVlub.195580$RP2.96913@twister.tampabay.rr.com>... > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. > > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. > > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I > You remind me of a brat so impressed with his own defecation that he spreads his excrement everywhere he can. No one else is impresesd. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ That's an extremely stupid suggestion. Migrating code from on...

IBM PL/I for Windows (FixPack info)
Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for enhancements goes to: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new which says (in part) "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which are appropriate for Windows have been incorporated into this fixpak." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:inGVe.41193$e95.13136@fe08.news.easynews.com... > Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I > thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" > for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm > > And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for > enhancements goes to: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new > > which says (in part) > > "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which...

AOL Support | Windows Help and Support | Computer Support | Microsoft Technical Support | Online Computer Help |
World leading Online Computer Support with Live-Technician on 1-888-414-5815 and get Online Technical Support, Online Computer Help, Dell and HP Tech Support, Windows Support, Computer Experts, XP Vista and Windows 7 support, Email and Outlook Support, 24x7 tech support, Tech support, Digital camera, On Phone Computer Support by Microsoft Certified Technicians. http://www.live-technician.com ...

AOL Support | Windows Help and Support | Computer Support | Microsoft Technical Support | Online Computer Help
World leading Online Computer Support with Live-Technician on 1-888-414-5815 and get Online Technical Support, Online Computer Help, Dell and HP Tech Support, Windows Support, Computer Experts, XP Vista and Windows 7 support, Email and Outlook Support, 24x7 tech support, Tech support, Digital camera, On Phone Computer Support by Microsoft Certified Technicians. http://www.live-technician.com ...

No window control in an Application Window
Hi, After following a JFACE eclipse example, i created a new class that extends ApplicationWindow that create a nice window with tool bar, menu bar and status bar. That's great.... but my window doesn't have window controls to minimize or iconify it, only the quit element (the cross)! Does anybody know which attribute i have to set to have window controls? Thx 0o. ...

IBM continues to suppport and enhance its PL/I support
David Frank wrote in message ... >A couple years ago, Peter Elderon replied to my inquiry about new PL/I >development, altho he states that windows pl/i has been upgraded in tandem >with Z/os. He by omission is saying other than a windows tandem upgrade >(its being updated with fixpacks, which is not a Version upgrade), IBM is >cutting back its upgrades for other platforms, e.g. the last windows pl/i >release was 1998 v2.1 thats SEVEN YEARS ago. I've told you before that the Windows PL/I compiler was ported to z/OS. This was a new compiler for z/OS, and that there have been upgrades of the z/OS product as the inevitable bug showed up, and as well some enhancements were made to that compiler. These enhancements were also done to the Windows compiler. In other words, both compilers are current, up-to-date, and both are being upgraded together. This is to permit the same programs to be run on Windows and on z/OS with identical results. The Windows product also emulates the z/OS environment (that is, it handles both EBCDIC and ASCII, and handles little endian and big-endian formats.) The Windows compiler is up to Release 6 or so. On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:06:49 GMT, robin wrote: > e.g. the last windows pl/i > release was 1998 v2.1 thats SEVEN YEARS ago. Because PLI is stable and doesn't need "fixing" like Fortran? -- Tim C. Tim Challenger wrote in message <1125987422.3a66ad705829cf22dca9dc646182f489@teranews>...

pl/sql application build & release
Hi just wondering if anyone could shed any light on good tools for managing the build and release of PL/SQL-based applications. We are using SVN and a mix of SQL*Developer & PL/SQL Developer & Textpad for code development. We manually build scripts for DDL changes for each release and manually build scripts to compile packages, triggers etc. and am wondering if there are any tools that any of you are using that assist in this. We use SVN branches/tags for each release but have to eb able to apply this release to multiple target databases. -- jeremy jeremy: # Hi just wondering if anyone could shed any light on good tools for managing the build and release of PL/SQL-based applications. I tend to do this manually using at times schema comparison tools ( like Toad does with DBA module available ) for double/sanity checking. I like to end up with shell scripts that I can execute with a couple of parameters ( including ORACLE_SID ) so that the exact same script base goes against different instances. Both Toad and SQL Navigator ( both from Quest although I have not used SQL Navigator for like 10 years ) have somewhat customizable tools that can produce scripts to synchronize schemas. Obviously you have to be extremely careful in looking at and testing/verifying any output from tools generating stuff like that. Oracle also has some of its own tools ( licensable packs I think ) that play in this area but no experience in the last 10 years using any of that. ...

Support applications that has no support (Announcement)
Support applications that has no support If you have legacy applications that vendors no longer support, If you have applications that you don't have staff to maintain, If you have a need for new applications that you don't have staff to write, .... then you can rely on VMDD TECH. We are motivated to learn your business rules, your legacy applications by ourselves, and then we can provide support for everything. We know that your time is valuable thus we don't want to bother you with questions that we can find anwsers by ourselves. We also know that you want quality ...

IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation
to: comp.lang.pl1 As a follow up to previous notes, if anyone in this group is interested in the current IBM documentation for "IBM PL/I for Windows", you can go to the page: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/library/ Under the paragraph that states, "WebSphere Developer for zSeries and WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer contain PL/I for Windows. The following PL/I for Windows documents are available:" you will find the links to the MOST recent documentation under: "WebSphere Developer for zSeries - Language Reference - Programming Guide" There is still some discussions going on, but to the best of my knowledge (and I *COULD* be wrong about this) it is (and will always be) impossible to purchase "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a product "by itself". However, this product (compiler, run-time and development tools for both Windows and zSeries applications) is a "built-in" part of IBM product, "WebsSphere Developer for zSeries" See: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ for additional information on this product. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise for Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement delivery channel. "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netco...

IBM
For those in IBM mainframe (z/OS and z/VM - not VSE) shops, check out: _ 906027 Software Service Discontinuance: Selected IBM eServer zSeries and S/390 products -- Some replacements available at http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=906-027 "Release to be withdrawn from service September 30, 2008 Product Product name Version number Enterprise PL/I for z/OS 3.4 5655-H31 ...Features to be withdrawn from service April 30, 2007 PL/I for MVS and VM V1 1.1 5688-235 VM Full Function Offering ... a.. 5655-H31, Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.4 is replaced by 5655-H31, Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.5 announced in Software Announcement 205-219 , dated September 13, 2005. ... a.. 5688-235, PL/I for MVS and VM V1 - VM Full Function Offering Features consists of a PL/I compiler and a debugger. The compiler continues to be available as part of the existing PL/I for MVS and VM V1 - VM Alternate Function Offering. The debugger is replaced by Debug Tool for z/VM V4.1 announced in Software Announcement 204-212 , dated September 21, 2004. " *** Other announced support withdrawal dates include - some releases of z/OS - some releases of COBOL and HLASM - some releases of IMS (and IMS tools) - CICS TS V2.2 - and LOTS more *** Make certain that those in your shop who need to know, do know an...

[News] Mac APIs to Build Windows and Linux Applications
Newly released Cocotron lets developers code Mac APIs under Windows ,----[ Quote ] | This Lloyd does have a mad-scientist-like devotion to the Mac | platform's Cocoa application programming interface (API), though, | and he is sharing it through the open source Cocotron project, | which developers can use to cross-compile Cocoa applications | from the Mac for use on Windows, and eventually Linux. `---- http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/15/2123219&from=rss Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Newly released Cocotron lets developers code Mac APIs under Windows Marked as o...

IBM announces a new (follow-on) version of its PL/I Windows product
For anyone who missed it yesterday, IBM announced their follow-on product for Windows and z/OS development (on Windows). As with the last product, this is a single product that provides: - Windows and z/OS targeted development - COBOL and PL/I (and C/C++ and java) development - CICS, IMS, DB2, etc integration - HLASM integration - etc The announcement is available at (long URL): http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/fcgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS206-320 Unlike the last version, this announcement makes it EXPLICIT that the product fully supports both Windows and z/OS targeted applications. NOTE: I do NOT see an "upgrade from earlier product" pricing option within the announcement, but I believe that for anyone who owns a currently supported product (for which they are paying maintenance) may get further information via the listed phone number. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:AVDdh.291590$%j2.153850@fe07.news.easynews.com... > For anyone who missed it yesterday, IBM announced their follow-on product > for Windows and z/OS development (on Windows). As with the last product, > this is a single product that provides: > > - Windows and z/OS targeted development > - COBOL and PL/I (and C/C++ and java) development > - CICS, IMS, DB2, etc integration >...

Building an Application in Windows to be used in Linux (with the Run-Time Engine)
Hi All, I have an LabVIEW project I have developed in a Windows environment.&nbsp; I can create an Application (.exe) using the Build Specification -&gt; Application Builder which works fine on the development platform.I now want to distribute the application to a Linux Environment.&nbsp; The OS is openSUSE v10.3 (with GNOME).&nbsp; I have downloaded the two rpm files needed for the run-time engine and installed them, as per here:<a href="http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/97E14BA3E0C14A89862572C300567733?opendocument&amp;node=132070_US" target="_blank">http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/97E14BA3E0C14A89862572C300567733?opendocument&amp;node=132070_US</a> Now, the question is; how do I create an Application in Windows which can be used on the Linux Box?&nbsp; According to the Application Builder instructions, it's simply a case of removing the .exe extension in the Target File Name options, however, this gives an error "Invalid Extension."If I do create an exe and manually remove the extention is doesn't work on the Linux enviroment (typing ./application).Has anyone had experiance of this?Many Thanks for Any Help,Oliver---Windows XP SP 2Labview 8.2.1---openSUSE v10.3 (with GNOME)LabVIEW Run-time Engine Version 8.2.1 for Linux I don't think you read the help correctly. In order to create an exe for Linux, you need to have the LabVIEW for Linux development system. The windows v...

Another build of JACE: Now with bugfixes and proper floating bus support!
1) Concurrent modification exceptions have been eradicated when you apply s= ettings changes. These used to kill the emulation when you used the config= screen to tweak settings or change disks. I am very happy to say it works= correctly as it was intended to work from the get go. You can even switch= to the ][DB debugger rom in mid-session without a crash! Also supported a= re changing out card assignments, though some software only detects on star= t so you might have to use a three-fingered salute anyway. 2) Frame generation is now cycle-perfect, so split screen modes work a...

[News] Ulteo GNU/Linux Now Also Runs Windows Applications

ANN: PL/Java now supports both PostgreSQL 8.0 and 7.4
I tried this on the pgsql-announce list but for some reason it doesn't show up. The 1.0.0.b4 release of PL/Java is out. It takes full advantage of the new exception handling and custom variables introduced in PostgreSQL 8.0 and a native Windows port is included in the distribution (7.4 still supported with Cygwin on Windows). On Linux, PL/Java 1.0.0.b4 includes binary distributions compiled using GCJ (the GNU Java) to take full advantage of Postgres capability of using preloaded modules. Please visit http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pljava for more info. Regards, T...

with kbs, build tclkit under windows or for windows?
Anybody can help to give an idea about how to build tclkit under windows with kbs? What I did are: 1. downloaded msys, unzip and put it on my c:\ directory 2. downloaded mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe and install it on my c:\ directory,(it created a MinGW directory). 3. downloaded kbs_sources.tgz file, unzip it and put it into c:\msys\home\ directory. then? what's next? (Sorry,never use msys before, I totally have no idea about it) I'm using windows7 64bit version, and I need build "tk" and "expect" into the tclkit file. Thanks a lot! Please, Anybody could give an idea? Thanks! On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:55:32 PM UTC-7, Hans wrote: > Anybody can help to give an idea about how to build tclkit under windows with kbs? > > > > What I did are: > > > > 1. downloaded msys, unzip and put it on my c:\ directory > > 2. downloaded mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe and install it on my c:\ directory,(it created a MinGW directory). > > 3. downloaded kbs_sources.tgz file, unzip it and put it into c:\msys\home\ directory. > > > > then? what's next? (Sorry,never use msys before, I totally have no idea about it) > > > > I'm using windows7 64bit version, and I need build "tk" and "expect" into the tclkit file. > > > > Thanks a lot! Hi Hans, Am 13.08.13 20:26, schrieb Hans: >>...

Web resources about - Does IBM now support building PL/I application for Windows? - comp.lang.pl1

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...