IBM announces new release of Enterpirse PL/II for z/OS

Today, IBM announced
  "IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.8 delivers performance improvements and
usability enhancements"

See:
   http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=208-365

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein (2605)
10/29/2008 7:46:39 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

William M. Klein wrote:
> Today, IBM announced
>   "IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.8 delivers performance improvements and
> usability enhancements"
>
> See:
>    http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=208-365

There was a rumor back in the 1960's that IBM had registered the names
PL/1-PL/99; but this is the first time I have seen anything higher than
PL/1 actually used. :)
0
jjw (608)
10/29/2008 8:16:32 PM
oops.  Sorry for the typo (in the subject, not the body)

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in message
> William M. Klein wrote:
>> Today, IBM announced
>>   "IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.8 delivers performance improvements and
>> usability enhancements"
>>
>> See:
>>    http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=208-365
>>
> There was a rumor back in the 1960's that IBM had registered the names
> PL/1-PL/99; but this is the first time I have seen anything higher than PL/1
> actually used. :)

0
wmklein (2605)
10/29/2008 10:47:27 PM
"James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
> William M. Klein wrote:
> > Today, IBM announced
> > "IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.8 delivers performance improvements
> > and usability enhancements"
> >
> > See:
> >    http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=208-365
> >
> There was a rumor back in the 1960's that IBM had registered the names
> PL/1-PL/99; but this is the first time I have seen anything higher than
> PL/1 actually used. :)

And it's further rumored that's why ISO/ANSI chose to use a Roman
numeral instead of an Arabic numeral in the standards.
0
mojaveg866 (241)
10/30/2008 3:16:07 PM
Everett M. Greene wrote:
> "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>> William M. Klein wrote:
>>> Today, IBM announced
>>> "IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.8 delivers performance improvements
>>> and usability enhancements"
>>>
>>> See:
>>>    http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=208-365
>>>
>> There was a rumor back in the 1960's that IBM had registered the names
>> PL/1-PL/99; but this is the first time I have seen anything higher than
>> PL/1 actually used. :)
>
> And it's further rumored that's why ISO/ANSI chose to use a Roman
> numeral instead of an Arabic numeral in the standards.

Except that IBM /always/ called it "PL/I" (after "FORTRAN V", "NPL" and
"MPPL" were successively rejected, of course). In the fifties and
sixties, it was IBM's usual practice to use Roman numerals for small
naming numbers, such as the successive versions of FORTRAN, the various
speed/density configurations of the 729 tape drive, or the upgrades of
the 705 and 7094 CPUs. The last hurrah was the 155 II and 165 II models
of the S/370, introduced in 1972. (Roman numerals for CPU upgrades seem
to have been thrown out with core memory; the new use of Arabic numerals
started with the 145-2.)

--
John W. Kennedy
  "...when you're trying to build a house of cards, the last thing you

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"John W Kennedy" <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Everett M. Greene wrote:

>>> There was a rumor back in the 1960's that IBM had registered the names
>>> PL/1-PL/99; but this is the first time I have seen anything higher than PL/1
>>> actually used. :)
>>
>> And it's further rumored that's why ISO/ANSI chose to use a Roman
>> numeral instead of an Arabic numeral in the standards.
>
> Except that IBM /always/ called it "PL/I" (after "FORTRAN V", "NPL" and "MPPL"
> were successively rejected, of course). In the fifties and sixties, it was
> IBM's usual practice to use Roman numerals for small naming numbers, such as
> the successive versions of FORTRAN, the various speed/density configurations
> of the 729 tape drive, or the upgrades of the 705 and 7094 CPUs. The last
> hurrah was the 155 II and 165 II models of the S/370, introduced in 1972.
> (Roman numerals for CPU upgrades seem to have been thrown out with core
> memory; the new use of Arabic numerals started with the 145-2.)
>

> --
> John W. Kennedy
>  "...when you're trying to build a house of cards, the last thing you should
> do is blow hard and wave your hands like a madman."
>   --  Rupert Goodwins

0
wmklein (2605)
10/31/2008 5:51:22 AM