IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation

to: comp.lang.pl1

As a follow up to previous notes, if anyone in this group is interested in the
current IBM documentation for "IBM PL/I for Windows", you can go to the page:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/library/

Under the paragraph that states,

"WebSphere Developer for zSeries and WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer
contain PL/I for Windows. The following PL/I for Windows documents are
available:"

you will find the links to the MOST recent documentation under:

 "WebSphere Developer for zSeries
    - Language Reference
    - Programming Guide"

There is still some discussions going on, but to the best of my knowledge (and I
*COULD* be wrong about this) it is (and will always be) impossible to purchase
"IBM PL/I for Windows" as a product "by itself".  However, this product
(compiler, run-time and development tools for both Windows and zSeries
applications) is a "built-in" part of IBM product, "WebsSphere Developer for
zSeries"

See:
  http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/

for additional information on this product.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein (2605)
3/2/2006 11:00:49 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise for
Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn,
with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement
delivery channel.

"Mark Yudkin" <myudkinATcompuserveDOTcom@boingboing.org> wrote in
message news:44080ef4$0$723$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch...
> Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise
> for Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being
> withdrawn, with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries
> being the replacement delivery channel.

How long have I got to get this?

Have you got any URL, phonenumber of snail mail address and the current
price?

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
prino at prino dot plus dot com

0
prino6362 (7)
3/3/2006 10:43:33 AM
The information on this (VisualAge PL/I) being withdrawn from marketing is at
IBM announcement 906-029, dated Feb 14, 2006.  (See separate post).  The date of
withdrawals is May 16, 2006.

The sales manual information on this (older) product is available (long link)
at:

 http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/OIX.wss?DocURL=http://d03xhttpcl001g.boulder.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/4/897/ENUS04L6564/index.html&InfoType=DD&InfoSubType=SM&InfoDesc=HW+%26+SW+Desc+%28Sales+Manual%2C+RPQ%29&panelurl=OIX.wss%3F&paneltext=HW%20&%20SW%20desc%20(Sales%20manual,%20RPQ)However, I don't think that is "current" - as it doesn't show the "withdrawalfrom marketing" announced on Feb 14.FYI,  That list the product number as:      04L6564However, it also has "Enterprise" in the title, so I think this is the "largerfunction" not the "personal" version of the Windows PL/I product.--Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com"Robert AH Prins" <prino@onetel.com> wrote in messagenews:46qkudFcg53vU1@individual.net...> "Mark Yudkin" <myudkinATcompuserveDOTcom@boingboing.org> wrote in messagenews:44080ef4$0$723$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch...>> Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise forWindows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, withWebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement deliverychannel.>> How long have I got to get this?>> Have you got any URL, phonenumber of snail mail address and the current price?>> Robert> --> Robert AH Prins> prino at prino dot plus dot com>

0
wmklein (2605)
3/3/2006 11:02:28 AM
Although Robin claims the continued existence of a Personal Edition, I
highly doubt you will find any reference thereto on the official web pages.

> The information on this (VisualAge PL/I) being withdrawn from marketing is
> at IBM announcement 906-029, dated Feb 14, 2006.  (See separate post).
> The date of withdrawals is May 16, 2006.
>
> The sales manual information on this (older) product is available (long
> link) at:
>
> http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/OIX.wss?DocURL=http://d03xhttpcl001g.boulder.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/4/897/ENUS04L6564/index.html&InfoType=DD&InfoSubType=SM&InfoDesc=HW+%26+SW+Desc+%28Sales+Manual%2C+RPQ%29&panelurl=OIX.wss%3F&paneltext=HW%20&%20SW%20desc%20(Sales%20manual,%20RPQ)However, I
> don't think that is "current" - as it doesn't show the "withdrawalfrom
> marketing" announced on Feb 14.FYI,  That list the product number as:
> 04L6564However, it also has "Enterprise" in the title, so I think this is
> the "largerfunction" not the "personal" version of the Windows PL/I
> product.--Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com"Robert AH Prins"
> <prino@onetel.com> wrote in messagenews:46qkudFcg53vU1@individual.net...>
> "Mark Yudkin" <myudkinATcompuserveDOTcom@boingboing.org> wrote in
> messagenews:44080ef4$0$723$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch...>> Currently, one
> can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise forWindows V2.1.
> This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, withWebSphere
> Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement
> deliverychannel.>> How long have I got to get this?>> Have you got any
> URL, phonenumber of snail mail address and the current price?>>
> Robert> --> Robert AH Prins> prino at prino dot plus dot com>

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I'm going to boil all this down to an email for the reseller and see
what he can come up with.  Again, I realize there are huge, huge odds
against this ever working, but I can only try.

Phil Burton

"out" and "in out"

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

"windows socket" and "datasocket"
I'm developing a LabVIEW application, that needs to communicate with another application, developed in C++. This C++ application uses windows socket. How can I communicate with this application? If I use the TCP functions in labVIEW I can communicate with this application? Thank you very much Esther.Lopez wrote: > I'm developing a LabVIEW application, that needs to communicate with > another application, developed in C++. This C++ application uses > windows socket. > How can I communicate with this application? If I use the TCP > functions in labVIEW I can communicate w...

Why "window.alert()" over "alert()"?
While reading c.l.j, I've noticed that some people prefer and indeed even recommend the use of "window.alert()" over "alert()". I can't find any technical reason to make this distinction, and seems to have a (tiny) amount overhead since window itself points to the global object, hence, a circular reference. (From everything I am reading, window is just a REFERENCE back to the global object, as opposed to a separate object.) Which brings me to two ideas: a) Either I am wrong, and window is really its own augmented object through a grammar I don't follow ...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

Can I get "My Document", "Desktop" and "Favourite" folder dynamically?
In difference language of Windows, they have difference name, can I get them dynamically from java? Any API can do this? carfield@gmail.com wrote: > In difference language of Windows, they have difference name, can I get > them dynamically from java? Any API can do this? > I just now it from "My Documents". This is the System Property "user.home". Because i am using Linux with the "windowmaker" Desktop, I have no Idea, what the other two ("Desktop", and "Favourite") could mean. Probably theese two are MsWindows specific ?? Phil...

"IBM PL/I for Window" is not a prduct (waiting for Robin's confrimation)
I just thought that I would start a new thread to make certain that it is clear that I am still waiting for Robin to confirm his statement in a post dated Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:03 AM. I stated, "The term (in IBM-speak) for what "PL/I for Windows" is, is that it is a "component" of the RDZ product." To which Robin replied on that date, "That is well-known in this newsgroup, and has been posted often enough here." * * * * Robin, Please confirm that you still think that this is "well-known" AND that you agree. Clearly, if "ABC" is NOT a product; then it cannot be a "stand-alone PRODUCT". As far as "IBM PL/I for Windows" goes, it is not the "stand-alone" that is the error in "IBM PL/I for Windows is not a stand-alone product", it is the fact that it is NOT a product, but a component of a product. As I have already indicated, my (original) use of the term "stand-alone" was misleading (to Robin - even if to no-one else). Therefore, Robin, once and for all, either A) Confirm that "IBM PL/I for Windows" is *NOT* a product (of any type) - but is a component of the RDz product Or B) Provide an IBM PID (Product number) for "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a PRODUCT and not as a component of another product. Once you do this, we can (hopefully) end this ongoing word game. * * * * So my understanding/position is clear, If you pu...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

alert("document.all.txtbox"+".value")
Hi All, // code start alert("document.all.txtbox"+valueA+".value") // end code could you please advice, can it show the value of txtbox ? Best regards, Boki. Boki said the following on 5/3/2006 1:23 AM: > Hi All, > > // code start > > alert("document.all.txtbox"+valueA+".value") > > // end code > > could you please advice, > can it show the value of txtbox ? IE only code or cross-browser? document.forms['formID'].elements['txtbox'+valueA].value; -- Randy comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibb...

Windows 8 -- "disjointed" "schizophrenic"
The conclusion of the article on Windows 8... ~~ There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its predecessors. And that is saying something. There is a new, vast, and potentially loyal group of users who are just now being introduced to a higher plane of technology by way of tablets and multitouch PCs. If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users with a schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then it will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is where the future of Windows either finally comes together or completely falls apart. ~~ http://snipurl.com/22nmew7 What a mess. -- RonB Registered Linux User #498581 CentOS 5.7 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0 or Linux Mint 10 RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > The conclusion of the article on Windows 8... > > ~~ > There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any > duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches > and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek > movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its > pre...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

document.all["something"].SetAttribute("HREF", "stylesheet.css",0) does not work

"make Makefile.PL" returns "...up to date"; make returns "no target to make"
I'm attempting to install a perl module (AppConfig-1.56) on a FreeBSD 4.9 system. It has both perl 5.5.3 and 5.8.3 and several modules are already installed for each and they both function properly. When I enter the "make Makefile.PL" in the module's directory I get 'Makefile.PL' is up to date. When I enter "make" by itself afterwards I get make: no target to make In short, I'm not able to install the module. What's the fix? Thanks Fixed. For some reason I thought "make Makefile.PL" was the first step to module installation ...

Web resources about - IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation - comp.lang.pl1