f



IBM PL/I for Windows (FixPack info)

Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I thought 
I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" for IBM's PL/I 
for Windows. It is currently available at:

 ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm

And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for 
enhancements goes to:
  ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new

which says (in part)

"All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which are 
appropriate for Windows have been incorporated into this fixpak."

-- 
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com 


0
wmklein (2605)
9/13/2005 8:10:55 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

16 Replies
406 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 59

"William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message 
news:inGVe.41193$e95.13136@fe08.news.easynews.com...
> Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I 
> thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" 
> for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at:
>
> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm
>
> And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for 
> enhancements goes to:
> 
> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new
>
> which says (in part)
>
> "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which are 
> appropriate for Windows have been incorporated into this fixpak."
>
> -- 
> Bill Klein
> wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
>

Thats what Elderon said was happening 2 yrs ago,  Windows PL/I is being kept 
current with the development of
Elderon's  group for Z/OS PL/I.  He said nothing about keeping AIX, etc 
current with development.

I  claimed that windows pl/i is at the pinnacle of IBM's development and if 
it cant match a challenge, then  no PL/I can.
Glen H.  laughed at this,  de-riding my opinion, but above link shows I 
understand the situation better than he does.


0
dave_frank (2243)
9/13/2005 8:26:39 PM
David,
    You really DO live in your own universe don't you.

The "true" history (as I understand it) is that:

A) It is true that the first operating system upon which the "newly revised" 
(upgraded) compiler was available was OS/2. (I think Windows came just a little 
later - but I could be mistaken on this).

B) That compiler was ported to a NUMBER of IBM platforms (OS/390, then z/OS and 
AIX - at a minimum)

C) "New" development is done (or at least seen) for/on the z/OS platform "first" 
(as far as I can tell - in all cases).

D) "WHEN APPROPRIATE" (which is true for MOST - but not all - compiler-stuff), 
the changes first introduced on z/OS are then "migrated" to BOTH Windows and 
AIX.  (There is a drop date for OS/2, so I am not positive whether they are 
getting all the latest compiler updates or not).

    ***

The CLEAR IBM direction is to keep ALL the compilers "in sync" where the 
specific features are operating system independent.  For z/OS,  "enhancements" 
(usually - not always) are delivered via new releases.  In most cases, the AIX 
and Windows products get "fixpacks" to bring them up to the same (compiler) 
level as is available on z/OS.   VSE and OS/400 tend to lag (sometimes 
SIGNIFICANTLY) behind these platforms.  For WebSpher Developer for z/OS 
(follow-on to WSED) there is even a "closer" synchronization between new z/OS 
features and availability on Windows.

   ***

If you find something from Peter Elderon that is *current* and indicates other 
than this (or anything in the current IBM documentation that says something 
else), I would be interested in seeing it.

-- 
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:3CGVe.11347$_84.6670@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message 
> news:inGVe.41193$e95.13136@fe08.news.easynews.com...
>> Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I 
>> thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" for 
>> IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm
>>
>> And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for 
>> enhancements goes to:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new
>>
>> which says (in part)
>>
>> "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which are 
>> appropriate for Windows have been incorporated into this fixpak."
>>
>> -- 
>> Bill Klein
>> wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
>>
>
> Thats what Elderon said was happening 2 yrs ago,  Windows PL/I is being kept 
> current with the development of
> Elderon's  group for Z/OS PL/I.  He said nothing about keeping AIX, etc 
> current with development.
>
> I  claimed that windows pl/i is at the pinnacle of IBM's development and if it 
> cant match a challenge, then  no PL/I can.
> Glen H.  laughed at this,  de-riding my opinion, but above link shows I 
> understand the situation better than he does.
>
> 


0
wmklein (2605)
9/13/2005 9:30:09 PM
David Frank wrote:
(snip)

> I  claimed that windows pl/i is at the pinnacle of IBM's development and if 
> it cant match a challenge, then  no PL/I can.
> Glen H.  laughed at this,  de-riding my opinion, but above link shows I 
> understand the situation better than he does.

I don't remember laughing about anything near/to/around you.

I can assure you that I know pretty much nothing about the scheduling,
sales, or marketing of any IBM product.  I would be very surprised
if I ever said anything different.

-- glen

0
gah (12851)
9/13/2005 11:11:19 PM
"William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message 
news:BxHVe.4978$1z2.114@fe10.news.easynews.com...
> David,
>    You really DO live in your own universe don't you.
>
> There is a drop date for OS/2, so I am not positive whether they are 
> getting all the latest compiler updates or not).
>

Ha ha... talk about living in your own universe...

OK, in order to put a spoke in this update merry-go-round brou-haha
I accept MOST of your info, (except for the OS/2)..

My point in reply to Glen H.  was that my Cants aimed at Windows PL/I 
targets a compiler that a few here have
actual access and has a full language syntax implementation (whatever it 
is)..

However $3000 pricing  means its DOOMED!


0
dave_frank (2243)
9/14/2005 11:40:46 AM
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:2%TVe.11630$_84.3893@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>

> My point in reply to Glen H.  was that my Cants aimed at Windows PL/I 
> targets a compiler that a few here have
> actual access and has a full language syntax implementation (whatever it 
> is)..
>
> However $3000 pricing  means its DOOMED!
>
>

I see  pricing for the recent IBM XL Fortran F95 for Linux is $999, 
however its also DOOMED!
because there are 3 FREE Fortran F95 compilers for Linux

I suspect Intel Visual Fortran for Linux  is free for individual use because 
they dont wont to allow  IBM to establish any foothold onto its turf as 
Fortran leader even tho IBM has taken the extraordinary step (for them) of 
lowering its price to something thats approaching affordability.



0
dave_frank (2243)
9/15/2005 12:06:20 PM
>Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, 

Have you not yet realized that David Frank (under whatever aliases he is presently using)
can take ANY information and by applying selective quoting, gross misunderstanding and
total cluelessness then claim it implies whatever diatribe of the moment he is engaged in?

You may as well attempt a rational argument with the babbling of a brook.

It is as obnoxious in clf as it is in clp.  Can anyone think of a way to get him to go off
to alt.flame and stay there?
0
kgrhoads (401)
9/15/2005 12:31:28 PM
"Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message 
news:432969A0.5784BFA4@alum.mit.edu...
> >Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup,
>
> Have you not yet realized that David Frank (under whatever aliases he is 
> presently using)
> can take ANY information and by applying selective quoting, gross 
> misunderstanding and
> total cluelessness then claim it implies whatever diatribe of the moment 
> he is engaged in?
>
> You may as well attempt a rational argument with the babbling of a brook.
>
> It is as obnoxious in clf as it is in clp.  Can anyone think of a way to 
> get him to go off
> to alt.flame and stay there?

My goodness gracious,  the total population of PL/I maroons has increased to 
a bakers-dozen PLUS 1
who would have believed it!! 


0
dave_frank (2243)
9/15/2005 5:54:50 PM
>population of PL/I maroons has increased

QED
0
kgrhoads (401)
9/15/2005 6:25:37 PM
David Frank wrote in message <0tdWe.11839$9i4.100@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>I see  pricing for the recent IBM XL Fortran F95 for Linux is $999,
>however its also DOOMED!
>because there are 3 FREE Fortran F95 compilers for Linux

But IBM fortran works.  Can the same be said of your free fortran compilers?
We know that Intel compiler had faulty output conversion that
produced wrong results.

>I suspect Intel Visual Fortran for Linux  is free for individual use\

If it's free then it's free because it doesn't work.

By your logic, Fortran is DOOMED because there's at least one free
Fortran compiler on Windows.




0
robin_v (2737)
9/16/2005 12:23:44 AM
David Frank wrote in message ...
>
>My goodness gracious,  the total population of PL/I maroons has increased to
>a bakers-dozen PLUS 1
>who would have believed it!!

No, you're wrong again.
It's a baker's dozen plus 2, because you forgot to include
YOURSELF.
In point of fact, you're the most expert maroon of all --
You regularly post in c.l.pl1 and claim by inference to know
everything about PL/I.



0
robin_v (2737)
9/16/2005 12:23:44 AM
"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message 
news:kgoWe.48460$FA3.31711@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> David Frank wrote in message 
> <0tdWe.11839$9i4.100@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>>I see  pricing for the recent IBM XL Fortran F95 for Linux is $999,
>>however its also DOOMED!
>>because there are 3 FREE Fortran F95 compilers for Linux
>
> But IBM fortran works.  Can the same be said of your free fortran 
> compilers?
> We know that Intel compiler had faulty output conversion that
> produced wrong results.
>

The operational word is "had" (thats past tense)..

Intel Fortran development is run by the same group of competent staff that 
started with Digital, got bought out by Compaq,  merged with HP,  was sold 
to Intel as part of Intel buying DEC's ALPHA chip technology.

BTW, Intel will allow me to UPGRADE my current EXCELLENT CVF compiler (which 
I have used to DEMOLISH any fragments of PL/I so-called more-powerfulness 
that existed before I started instructing you maroons about Fortran) for
GET THIS  $200..   Compare that to IBM's RIP-OFF pricing of $999 for Fortran 
and $3000 for PL/I..

>
> By your logic, Fortran is DOOMED because there's at least one free
> Fortran compiler on Windows.
>

PL/I which has had how many new compilers in last 5 years?
ANS.  1 (for Z/OS)  and none for NON-IBM vendors,   zilch, zero

There are at least 10 Fortran compilers released in last 5 years for various 
platforms.

> 


0
dave_frank (2243)
9/16/2005 6:04:53 AM
David Frank wrote in message <9gtWe.12285$9i4.3479@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>
>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>news:kgoWe.48460$FA3.31711@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <0tdWe.11839$9i4.100@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>>>I see  pricing for the recent IBM XL Fortran F95 for Linux is $999,
>>>however its also DOOMED!
>>>because there are 3 FREE Fortran F95 compilers for Linux
>>
>> But IBM fortran works.  Can the same be said of your free fortran
>> compilers?
>> We know that Intel compiler had faulty output conversion that
>> produced wrong results.
>
>The operational word is "had" (thats past tense)..

Has there been an announcement that it's been fixed?

>Intel Fortran development is run by the same group of competent staff that
>started with Digital, got bought out by Compaq,  merged with HP,  was sold
>to Intel as part of Intel buying DEC's ALPHA chip technology.
>
>BTW, Intel will allow me to UPGRADE my current EXCELLENT

This is the one that you complained did not have subscript checking
(or was it something else?), last month.

> CVF compiler

This is the non-standard one?

>(which I have used to DEMOLISH any fragments of PL/I so-called more-powerfulness

The only thing that you've demolished is yourself.
You've proven over and over again that you
can't write a correct Fortran program.
And you get others to write them for you by setting "challenges".

The other thing that you proved was that PL/I is
more powerful than Fortran.
Recent examples:
1.     UPPERCASE,
2.     TRANSLATE,
3.     TALLY.
        These library functions are generic.
The count items problem was simple in PL/I.
The UPPERCASE problem was trivial in PL/I.

>that existed before I started instructing you maroons about Fortran) for
>GET THIS  $200..   Compare that to IBM's RIP-OFF pricing of $999 for Fortran
>and $3000 for PL/I..

The upgrade price for PL/I is a fraction of that
You've been told that several times before.

>> By your logic, Fortran is DOOMED because there's at least one free
>> Fortran compiler on Windows.
>
>PL/I which has had how many new compilers in last 5 years?
>ANS.  1 (for Z/OS)

Within the past seven days I told you that
Enterprise PL/I is available on AIX.
That makes two for IBM.

>  and none for NON-IBM vendors,   zilch, zero

You should ask Tom about that.
His compiler is free.

>There are at least 10 Fortran compilers released in last 5 years for various
>platforms.

That's because of the minor upgrade to Fortran 95,
and enhancements in anticipation of Fortran 2003 (which was 5 years late) --
not because there are of 10 new vendors.

On the other hand, at least one Fortran vendor has
closed shop recently.
How many others will follow?

PL/I hasn't needed major upgrades like Fortran
because Fortran was so out-of-date.


0
robin_v (2737)
9/16/2005 10:16:35 AM
"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message 
news:7YwWe.48945$FA3.4831@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> PL/I hasn't needed major upgrades like Fortran
> because Fortran was so out-of-date.

Cant you read?   I said NEW releases by vendors,,

e.g.  IBM has 2 NEW Fortran releases in last year
1. XL F95 for Linux platform
2.    F95  for Mac platform

IBM  released about 5 yrs ago their last PL/I  (Z/OS) maybe longer and has 
been trying to earn their outrageous annual support fees by releasing 
fixpacks and minor development with no MAJOR upgrading to the language 
syntax.
Meanwhile ALL Fortran vendors have a daunting task ahead of them in 
implementing the new Fortran standard with its
MAJOR advancements.

AND IBM's retreat from PL/I as a viable language continues in last 5 yrs.
1. withdrew OS/2 PL/I
2. withdrew Personal PL/I from online web page ordering.
     and Elderon has stated there wont be further Personal PL/I development 
(development is more than a fixpack of apars).



0
dave_frank (2243)
9/16/2005 10:51:51 AM
David Frank wrote in message <9gtWe.12285$9i4.3479@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>
>PL/I which has had how many new compilers in last 5 years?
>ANS.  1 (for Z/OS

Wrong.
IBM released at least 4.
1.    z/OS
2.    OS/390
3.    AIX
4.    Windows.

But you knew this already.  Didn't you.
What does that say about you?




0
robin_v (2737)
9/16/2005 2:01:05 PM
David Frank wrote in message ...
>
>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>news:7YwWe.48945$FA3.4831@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>> PL/I hasn't needed major upgrades like Fortran
>> because Fortran was so out-of-date.
>
>Cant you read?   I said NEW releases by vendors,,


I can, but it's palpably obvious that you can't.
As well, even when it's spelled out, you still can't.

>e.g.  IBM has 2 NEW Fortran releases in last year
>1. XL F95 for Linux platform
>2.    F95  for Mac platform
>
>IBM  released about 5 yrs ago their last PL/I  (Z/OS)

also PL/I for AIX,
also PL/I for OS/390,
also PL/I for Windows.
THESE ARE NEW COMPILERS ON THOSE SYSTEMS.
GET IT NOW?

It's 14 years since the last major update of Fortran.

> maybe longer and has
>been trying to earn their outrageous annual support fees by releasing
>fixpacks and minor development

It's called "SUPPORT".  You don't seem to understand
what support is.

Each enhancement has been the equivalent of the
upgrade of Fortran 90 to Fortran 95.

> with no MAJOR upgrading to the language
>syntax.

They don't have to continually "upgrade" the language syntax,
because it's there already.  And any syntax that's
needed can be implemented.
Recall   x(2:20) syntax?  That's available in PL/I.
Recall being able to compile Fortran source code
intermixed among PL/I source?  That's available in PL/I now.
Recall [1, 6, 8, 45] syntax?  That's available in PL/I now.

>Meanwhile ALL Fortran vendors have a daunting task ahead of them in
>implementing the new Fortran standard with its
>MAJOR advancements.

Those major "advancements" (sic) might bring Fortran into
the 21st century.

>AND IBM's retreat from PL/I as a viable language continues in last 5 yrs.
>1. withdrew OS/2 PL/I

OS/2 is not an operating system that's available now.
That's nothing to do with PL/I.


0
robin_v (2737)
9/16/2005 3:14:36 PM
>By your logic, 

Dear Robin, 
David Frank has NO LOGIC in these posts.   You are arguing with the babbling of a brook.
Please, don't let yourself be dragged down to his level of trollishness.
0
kgrhoads (401)
9/18/2005 5:16:29 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Upgrading to currently supported IBM PL/I for Windows (was: How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco
David, The following (repost) includes your note from the end of August where you stated, "no upgrade pricing for existing Visual Age PL/I customers), ..." and my reply showing the one of the part numbers and where it is documented. *** Dare you to admit that you were WRONG when you stated (today), "That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware of) since this is the first post I have raised this issue, (must be someone else who really gives a damn)." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:... > ain't no such thing as > "a Z/OS PL/I for Windows pkg" > > So you are correct (for a change) there isn't anyone who has upgraded to it. > > For any other question (to correct your publicly stated misconceptions on how > the product works), check out the manual for yourself at: > > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27007348 > > As far as IBM selling copies of its "Websphere Developer for z/OS" product, > there have certainly been lots of sales (as reported at IBM user groups) as > well as the fact that many copies are "given away" with other IBM product > purchases. > > As far as upgrade pricing and ordering, check out the announcement at: > > http://www-306.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&s...

IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation
to: comp.lang.pl1 As a follow up to previous notes, if anyone in this group is interested in the current IBM documentation for "IBM PL/I for Windows", you can go to the page: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/library/ Under the paragraph that states, "WebSphere Developer for zSeries and WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer contain PL/I for Windows. The following PL/I for Windows documents are available:" you will find the links to the MOST recent documentation under: "WebSphere Developer for zSeries - Language Reference - Programming Guide" There is still some discussions going on, but to the best of my knowledge (and I *COULD* be wrong about this) it is (and will always be) impossible to purchase "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a product "by itself". However, this product (compiler, run-time and development tools for both Windows and zSeries applications) is a "built-in" part of IBM product, "WebsSphere Developer for zSeries" See: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ for additional information on this product. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise for Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement delivery channel. "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netco...

Does IBM now support building PL/I application for Windows?
I found that PL/I is deprecated in Rational Developer for System =D1 (both Java and EGL). ...

IBM announces a new (follow-on) version of its PL/I Windows product
For anyone who missed it yesterday, IBM announced their follow-on product for Windows and z/OS development (on Windows). As with the last product, this is a single product that provides: - Windows and z/OS targeted development - COBOL and PL/I (and C/C++ and java) development - CICS, IMS, DB2, etc integration - HLASM integration - etc The announcement is available at (long URL): http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/fcgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS206-320 Unlike the last version, this announcement makes it EXPLICIT that the product fully supports both Windows and z/OS targeted applications. NOTE: I do NOT see an "upgrade from earlier product" pricing option within the announcement, but I believe that for anyone who owns a currently supported product (for which they are paying maintenance) may get further information via the listed phone number. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:AVDdh.291590$%j2.153850@fe07.news.easynews.com... > For anyone who missed it yesterday, IBM announced their follow-on product > for Windows and z/OS development (on Windows). As with the last product, > this is a single product that provides: > > - Windows and z/OS targeted development > - COBOL and PL/I (and C/C++ and java) development > - CICS, IMS, DB2, etc integration >...

"IBM PL/I for Window" is not a prduct (waiting for Robin's confrimation)
I just thought that I would start a new thread to make certain that it is clear that I am still waiting for Robin to confirm his statement in a post dated Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:03 AM. I stated, "The term (in IBM-speak) for what "PL/I for Windows" is, is that it is a "component" of the RDZ product." To which Robin replied on that date, "That is well-known in this newsgroup, and has been posted often enough here." * * * * Robin, Please confirm that you still think that this is "well-known" AND that you agree. Clearly, if "ABC" is NOT a product; then it cannot be a "stand-alone PRODUCT". As far as "IBM PL/I for Windows" goes, it is not the "stand-alone" that is the error in "IBM PL/I for Windows is not a stand-alone product", it is the fact that it is NOT a product, but a component of a product. As I have already indicated, my (original) use of the term "stand-alone" was misleading (to Robin - even if to no-one else). Therefore, Robin, once and for all, either A) Confirm that "IBM PL/I for Windows" is *NOT* a product (of any type) - but is a component of the RDz product Or B) Provide an IBM PID (Product number) for "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a PRODUCT and not as a component of another product. Once you do this, we can (hopefully) end this ongoing word game. * * * * So my understanding/position is clear, If you pu...

HELP: crazy from DLL invoking from PL1 on IBM Rational Developer for System z (Windows platform)
I am trying to invoke external dll from PL1 with IBM Rational Developer for System z tools under the windows platform for several days. unfortunately, I did not pass the compilation. Any help would be greately appreciated! >>>>>>>>method in the test.dll which written by C++>>>>>>>> int test1(char* str1) { strcpy(str1,"testtest1111111111111"); return 1; } >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>test.dll>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&...

DJGPP Gnu Info in a console window under Windows
I have an old (circa 2002) notebook I use as a test platform. It multi-boots a couple of flavors of Linux, Win2K SP4 (Win2K runs acceptably, WinXP does not.) and FreeDOS, and I got the DJGPP stuff with FreeDOS. I have an assortment of info files on the machine, and looked around for an info viewer I could use under Windows. There's a Gnuwin32 port of info, but it has problems - try to run it and it says "This terminal type it not smart enough to run info", regardless of what the TERM variable is set to. (I have a termcap file and a TERMCAP variable pointing to it.) The DJGPP port of info runs in a console window under Win2K, but with a quirk. I prefer an 90x50 console window, but DJGPP sets an 80x40 screen size and there seems to be no way to override it. Am I missing a switch or a command line option, or is this hardwired in the code? I can live with the latter if so. Thanks! ______ Dennis On 07.09.2012 22:28, DMcCunney wrote: > The DJGPP port of info runs in a console window under Win2K, but with a > quirk. I prefer an 90x50 console window, but DJGPP sets an 80x40 screen > size and there seems to be no way to override it. It's not actually DJGPP doing that, I think. It's the VDM system of Windows. You'll notice it does the same thing for all DOS full-screen programs, not just DJGPP ones. See edit.com as an example. Hi, On Friday, September 7, 2012 3:27:47 PM UTC-5, DMcCunney w...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 [5 CDs] for DB2 UDB for OS/390, and for DB2 UDB for Unix, Macromedia ColdFusion MX V6.0.1 for IBM WebSphere Application Server, Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE, other IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2 17/Sep/2004 WEBSPHERE BUSINESS INTEGRATION CONNECT ADVANCED v4.2.2 - IBM CD NR 16 297 DW v1.2 DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition V7.2.10a - IBM Tivoli CD NR 16 110 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition v8.2 16 053 Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 - Peoplesoft [5 CDs] 16 029 Sybase:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-456rm4 Microsoft SQL Server:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-457py4 DB2 UDB for OS/390:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-45auo5 Oracle:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-452o1s Informix:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-453x5w DB2 UDB for Unix, NT:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-454yc...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 [5 CDs] for DB2 UDB for OS/390, and for DB2 UDB for Unix, Macromedia ColdFusion MX V6.0.1 for IBM WebSphere Application Server, Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE, other IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2 17/Sep/2004 WEBSPHERE BUSINESS INTEGRATION CONNECT ADVANCED v4.2.2 - IBM CD NR 16 297 DW v1.2 DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition V7.2.10a - IBM Tivoli CD NR 16 110 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition v8.2 16 053 Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 - Peoplesoft [5 CDs] 16 029 Sybase:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-456rm4 Microsoft SQL Server:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-457py4 DB2 UDB for OS/390:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-45auo5 Oracle:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-452o1s Informix:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-453x5w DB2 UDB for Unix, NT:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-454yc...

Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows
Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have suggestions how to proceed? For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding record definition? How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX exec)? Thanks, Diane Alves RECSIZE and record definitions should be OK, but you'll find out quickly enough if your declarations conflict. PL/I will hide the lf - crlf differences for you. Your main problem will indeed by the Unix -> Windows issues, in particular with file names; this is typical of any O/S migration, and is not PL/I specific. <alvesdn@nosc.mil> wrote in message news:1103841610.536162.204130@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will > receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have > suggestions how to proceed? > For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every > RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding > record definition? > How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C > drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX > exec)? > Thanks, > Diane Alves > > How do I map the files...

re: IBM continues PL/I support (was: IBM continues ...)
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:48:40 GMT > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. .. That doesn't mean anything. There are other languages available on AIX. It's just a specific announcement about those compilers. .. > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. .. We know you're lying, and you know you're lying. .. Peter Elderon wrote to you several months ago saying that the Windows product is supported. .. It's a current and on-going support in parallel with the z/os Enterprise compiler. .. The Enterprise compiler was developed from the workstation (Windows compiler), and is compatible with it. This is to enable the development on the PC of programs for z/os, and vice versa. The Windows VisualAge product can emulate the z/os machine, and can operate in Windows (PC) mode, thus allowing the PC product to operate directly on z/os data and to generate such data for use on z/os when required. .. > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I You know that you are lying. We know it too. .. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ .. No-one...

Problem running mwc.pl and mpc.pl on Windows 8
Hi, When i try to run the following command: mwc.pl -type vc10 Test.mwc It prompted the following message: MPC_ROOT was set to C:\ACE_wrappers\MPC. Using C:/ACE_wrappers/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/MPC.cfg CIAO_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. DANCE_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. ERROR: There is no longer a default project type. Please specify one in MPC.cfg or use the -type option. The following software are installed on my machine: - Windows 8 Pro x64 - ACE+TAO-2.2a p0 - ActivePerl-5.16.3.1603-MSWin32-x64-296746 I do not have this issue when running on Windows 7 SP1 x64. Any help will be appreciated. Regards, Wei Keong Hi Wei, >When i try to run the following command: >mwc.pl -type vc10 Test.mwc > >It prompted the following message: >MPC_ROOT was set to C:\ACE_wrappers\MPC. >Using C:/ACE_wrappers/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/MPC.cfg >CIAO_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. >DANCE_ROOT was used in the configuration file, but was not defined. >ERROR: There is no longer a default project type. > Please specify one in MPC.cfg or use the -type option. > >The following software are installed on my machine: >- Windows 8 Pro x64 >- ACE+TAO-2.2a p0 >- ActivePerl-5.16.3.1603-MSWin32-x64-296746 > >I do not have this issue when running on Windows 7 SP1 x64. > >Any help will be ...

PL/I for Windows
IBM documentation on this product seems to be substandard (read: sucks). I'm trying to find an example and description of a windowed PL/I application. In OS/2 we'd call it a Presentation Manager Application, I don't know what the corresponding windows term is. The Language Reference and Programmer's Guide don't seem to have what I'm looking for. There has to be better information. If anyone is writing this kind of program, what did you use? Can anyone point me to sample code? Thanks. Peter_Flass@yahoo.com wrote: > IBM documentation on this product seems to be substandard (read: > sucks). I'm trying to find an example and description of a windowed > PL/I application. In OS/2 we'd call it a Presentation Manager > Application, I don't know what the corresponding windows term is. The > Language Reference and Programmer's Guide don't seem to have what I'm > looking for. There has to be better information. If anyone is writing > this kind of program, what did you use? Can anyone point me to sample > code? Thanks. I would not expect such information in the LRM at all. At least for Personal PL/I for OS/2, the product comes with a SAMPLES directory which includes two examples, PMDEMO and PMDEMO2, which use a PM window. It was necessary to add the LIBS(MULTI) option and use EXECMODE to select single processor operation to get PMDEMO2 to run. The PG includes a section which explains the PMDEMO2 exa...

Info window
How can I write simple c-code to do a pop-up window with some information text in a Sun X environment? /Eva Eva Karlsson CH (AL/EAB) wrote: > How can I write simple c-code to > do a pop-up window with some information > text in a Sun X environment? > > /Eva Except for very trivial cases it's not possible to do "a little X". So tread carefully. How difficult it is depends on what you mean by "pop-up window with some info...". How much information? Does the window have to have controls (e.g. buttons) on it? Does it have to scroll large amounts ...

IBM PL/I
Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I can use PL/I under Windows XP? I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product should be active, i.e I can buy it. The currently supported product for Windows targeted development includes both the PL/I and COBOL compilers and lots of other "stuff". Check out "WebSphere Developer for z/Series" at: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ It is NOT cheap, but it is supported (both for mainframe and windows targeted development) and does provide significant tools (possibly more than you might want). -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158246139.780745.195690@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I > can use PL/I under Windows XP? > > I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product > should be active, i.e I can buy it. > "MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158246139.780745.195690@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I > can use PL/I under Windows XP? > > I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product > should be active, i.e I can buy it. > The PL/I situation continually deteriorates, IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Window...

info window
help ! please where is the "info window" in the greatest and latest GIMP for windows ? I've found the "navigation window" bat the "info window" is too well hidden ... at least for me :-( Thank you ! oldy wrote: > help ! > please where is the "info window" in the greatest and latest GIMP for > windows ? > I've found the "navigation window" bat the "info window" is too well > hidden ... at least for me > :-( If you open an image, look on the top bar. Click 'View' In the drop down menu you should ...

Re: Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows
From: "alvesdn@nosc.mil" <alvesdn@nosc.mil>, http://groups.google.com Date: 23 Dec 2004 14:40:10 -0800 .. | Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will | receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have | suggestions how to proceed? | For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every | RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding | record definition? .. Most likely you will need to check declarations of FIXED BINARY in records. Default in Windows PL/I is fixed bin (15), but for Unix will probably be FIXED BIN (31). However, in Windows PL/I you can specify ANSI, whIch gives a default of FIXED BIN (31). ANSI does not support scaled fixed binary, whereas Windows PL/I does (IBM rules). .. | How do I map the files in the PL/I code to the filenames on my C | drive (on UNIX it was 'ln -s theunixfilename THEPLIFILE' in a REXX | exec)? | Thanks, | Diane Alves On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:24:00 GMT, robin <robin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote: > From: "alvesdn@nosc.mil" <alvesdn@nosc.mil>, http://groups.google.com > Date: 23 Dec 2004 14:40:10 -0800 > . > | Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will > | receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have > | suggestions how to proceed? > | For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every > | RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 charac...

Re: Converting LIANT PL/I for UNIX to VisualAge PL/I for Windows #2
"Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com> writes: > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:24:00 GMT, robin <robin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote: > > > From: "alvesdn@nosc.mil" <alvesdn@nosc.mil>, http://groups.google.com > > Date: 23 Dec 2004 14:40:10 -0800 > > . > > | Has anyone done this (or other UNIX PL/I to Windows PL/I)? I will > > | receive the VisualAge for Windows compiler next week. Does anyone have > > | suggestions how to proceed? > > | For instance, is it true that I will have to subtract 1 from every > > | RECSIZE declaration and remove 1 character from the corresponding > > | record definition? > > . > > Most likely you will need to check declarations of FIXED BINARY > > in records. Default in Windows PL/I is fixed bin (15), > > but for Unix will probably be FIXED BIN (31). > > However, in Windows PL/I you can specify ANSI, whIch gives > > a default of FIXED BIN (31). ANSI does not support scaled fixed binary, > > whereas Windows PL/I does (IBM rules). > The ANSI standard does. The dialect that IBM impmented is then not full > ANSI. IBM supports ANSI. ...

2004: IBM embraces Linux internally. 2011: IBM is 90% Windows on the desktop
Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and indeed all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end of 2005. The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY) http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the most dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the employee population (350,000+ people)." http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs. On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:47:48 -0500, DFS wrote: > Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and indeed > all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end of 2005. > The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY) > > http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop > > > > Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the most > dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the employee > population (350,000+ people)." > > http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop > > > > Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs. IBM is doing a major rollout of new corporate laptop...

Cannot install Windows Application Development Client Fixpack 5 on Windows XP Professional
Hi, I wanted to upgrade my adc to fixpack 5 on Windows XP Professional (Dutch edition). However after unzipping the cab files the Windows installer quits with a dialog saying (translated from Dutch): Incorrect command line parameters. The only thing I can do is to click OK and the installation quits. The installation file installed correctly on some Windows 2000 machines we have here. So it seems Windows XP related... Any suggestions? Thanks, John Wheeler Ahum, talking about V8.1 ofcourse. John. John Wheeler wrote: > Hi, > > I wanted to upgrade m...

IBM announced newest release of product including "IBM COBOL for Windows"
This week, IBM announced the latest release of the *ONLY* product that they now sell that include a currently supported version of "IBM COBOL for Windows". See: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/0/897/ENUS209-380/ENUS209-380.PDF It appears (but I haven't seen the details) that there are new installation options that will allow a user to better "tailor" which features of RDz they want installed. NOTE WELL: This does NOT mean that there are options for only BUYING those features that you want to use. If you are a shop that *only* wants COBOL (not PL/I...

Web resources about - IBM PL/I for Windows (FixPack info) - comp.lang.pl1

Window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the part of a building. For the Microsoft operating system, see Microsoft Windows . For other uses, see Window (disambiguation) ...

Microsoft Windows Information, Solutions, Tools - Windows IT Pro
Microsoft Windows information and solutions for IT pros. Topics include cloud computing, Windows Server, Exchange, Outlook, PowerShell, virtualization, ...

The Windows Blog
The Windows Blog is Microsoft's Official Blog for the Windows Operating System.

Microsoft Extends Skylake Support On Windows 7 And Windows 8.1
... As part of the announcement, going forward, the latest processors and chipsets would only be supported on the current version of Windows. As ...

Edge browser now has extensions in the latest Windows 10 preview
... Right now, installing extensions is rather clunky—when this is feature is released to end users, extensions will be included in the Windows ...

OS X and Linux threaten Windows' dominance in developer market
OS X and Linux are nowhere near as popular as Windows when we look at the PC market as a whole, but the two platforms are actually extremely ...

Microsoft is trying to change Windows software forever — here’s why it’ll be a tough fight
One of Satya Nadella's biggest initiatives is also his riskiest: The Universal Windows Platform, or UWP , a new way for Microsoft developers ...

Xbox One will run Windows 10 apps starting this summer
The Xbox Store and the Windows Store will also be merged as Microsoft tries to rev up demand for both Windows 10 and the Xbox One.

The 10 Windows group policy settings you need to get right
One of the most common methods to configure an office full of Microsoft Windows computers is with group policy. For the most part, group policies ...

Microsoft Begins Windows 10 Rollout for Windows Phone 8.1
Many, but not all, owners of older Windows smartphones can finally upgrade their handsets.

Resources last updated: 3/19/2016 6:46:30 PM