IBM PL/I

Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
can use PL/I under Windows XP?

I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
should be active, i.e I can buy it.

0
mikezmn (64)
9/14/2006 3:02:19 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

The currently supported product for Windows targeted development includes both
the PL/I and COBOL compilers and lots of other "stuff".  Check out "WebSphere
Developer for z/Series" at:

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/

It is NOT cheap, but it is supported (both for mainframe and windows targeted
development) and does provide significant tools (possibly more than you might
want).

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>
> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
> should be active, i.e I can buy it.

0
wmklein (2605)
9/14/2006 10:38:25 PM
"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>
> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
> should be active, i.e I can buy it.

The PL/I situation continually deteriorates, IBM cancelled support for its
Visual Age PL/I for Windows
this year.
In summary, as I recently reported,
there is NO PL/I that meets minimum criteria below.

1. currently supported
2. for a CPU thats being sold
3. for a O.S. thats being sold
4. available for < $3000

Klein knows how much IBM has priced its Websphere PL/I but wont reveal thats
it about
   twice the $3000 figure.    Liant PL/I for Windows is rumored to be > $10k

Vowels has been reduced to recommending the FREE PL/I for DOS as the ONLY
PL/I for
windows that meets above criteria, but refuses to give a valid link where it
can be downloaded.

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/15/2006 7:51:58 AM
David Frank wrote in message <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
>> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>>
>> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
>> should be active, i.e I can buy it.
>>

>The PL/I situation continually deteriorates,

You are lying.

> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.

This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.

When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
one is withdrawn.

So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
as it is no longer a current product.

So, to spell it out for Frank --

0
robin_v (2737)
9/15/2006 3:05:11 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>Vowels has been reduced to recommending the FREE PL/I for DOS
> as the ONLY PL/I for windows that meets above criteria

You are still lying.

I also stated that Kednos PL/I  was free for non-commercial use
and runs on Windows on the ubiquitious PC and compatibles.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/15/2006 3:05:12 PM
William M. Klein wrote:
> The currently supported product for Windows targeted development includes both
> the PL/I and COBOL compilers and lots of other "stuff".  Check out "WebSphere
> Developer for z/Series" at:
>
>     http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/

If I understand correct it's IBM WebSphere Developer for zSeries
Authorized User License + SW Maintenance 12 Months (D5520LL)
$5,500.00.
And I suspect it's renamed IBM WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer.
But in Europe it costs more...

0
mikezmn (64)
9/15/2006 3:25:14 PM
"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> David Frank wrote in message
> <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
>>
>>"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
>>> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>>>
>>> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
>>> should be active, i.e I can buy it.
>>>

>>The PL/I situation continually deteriorates,
>
> You are lying.

Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.

Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?

How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
mainframe?  Maybe 25 yrs?  I call that not only deteriorating but a
DISASTEROUS situation.

>> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.
>
> This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
> sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.
>
> When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
> one is withdrawn.
>
> So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
> as it is no longer a current product.
>
> So, to spell it out for Frank --

Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..

Its like GM telling its Chevrolet owners they cant trade in their old chevys
because
they are dropping that line of cars and if they want to continue driving GM
cars
they must pay list price for a more expensive car with lots of options.

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/16/2006 11:07:21 AM
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
> TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..

so you can't read either.  Check the archives for the "upgrade part number" to
order.  I posted that recently - because you kept giving this incorrect
inforamtion.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein (2605)
9/16/2006 12:23:38 PM
"William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>>
>> Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
>> TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..
>>
> so you can't read either.  Check the archives for the "upgrade part
> number" to order.  I posted that recently - because you kept giving this
> incorrect inforamtion.

That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware
of)
since this is the first post I have raised this issue,  (must be someone
else who
really gives a damn).  I take it you also are refusing to tell the price of
this upgrade
just like your refusal to post the non-upgrade price to the topic requestor
who
found it himself and posted it, ($5500)
You IBM syncophants are (P)athetic (L)osers (I)ndeed

> --
> Bill Klein
> wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/16/2006 1:25:47 PM

> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
>>> TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..
>>>
>> so you can't read either.  Check the archives for the "upgrade part number"
>> to order.  I posted that recently - because you kept giving this incorrect
>> inforamtion.
>>

> That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware
> of)
> since this is the first post I have raised this issue,  (must be someone else
> who
> really gives a damn).  I take it you also are refusing to tell the price of
> this upgrade
> just like your refusal to post the non-upgrade price to the topic requestor
> who
> found it himself and posted it, ($5500)
> You IBM syncophants are (P)athetic (L)osers (I)ndeed

I don't post the price of IBM products for two reasons:

1) The price of most IBM products varies from country to country and is (almost)
never posted by IBM.

2) The price also varies based on quantities purchased.

Most IBM sites that talk about how to purchase their Workstation software also
include information on who and how to contact someone about price and similar
information.  Unlike you, most people who are serious about acquiring IBM
software don't have any problem following these instructions.

*(**

I'll find the upgrade note and resend it.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein (2605)
9/16/2006 5:47:44 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
>>>
>>>"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>The PL/I situation continually deteriorates,
>>
>> You are lying.
>>

>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>
>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?

You still don't get it.
I spelled it out below.

Here it is again in words of one syllable.

*WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
*THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
Get it now?

>How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
>mainframe?

How many vendors are making mainframes?  (other than, of course, IBM)

>>> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.
>>
>> This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
>> sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.
>>
>> When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
>> one is withdrawn.
>>
>> So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
>> as it is no longer a current product.
>>
>> So, to spell it out for Frank --

0
robin_v (2737)
9/17/2006 1:33:53 AM
David Frank wrote in message <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
>>>
>>> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.
>>
>> This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
>> sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.
>>
>> When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
>> one is withdrawn.
>>
>> So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
>> as it is no longer a current product.
>>
>> So, to spell it out for Frank --

>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..

Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
past 10 months) is irrelevant.

    It is a REPLACEMENT product.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/17/2006 4:28:37 AM
> David Frank wrote in message
> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>> You are lying.
>>>

>>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>>
>>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?
>
> You still don't get it.
> I spelled it out below.
>
> Here it is again in words of one syllable.

> *WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
> *THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
> Get it now?

What has that got to do with the fact that IBM has withdrawn following
compilers
.. Visual Age PL/I for Windows (and OS/2)
.. Personal PL/I for Windows  (and OS/2)
making the total # compilers available from IBM   4 less than previous.

Thats what I mean my a deteriorating situation.

>>How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
>>mainframe?
>
> How many vendors are making mainframes?  (other than, of course, IBM)

Let me rephrase my question,
how long has it been since a non-IBM vendor supported a PL/I compiler for
their computer?

I repeat there is NO PL/I compiler available today that meets following
criteria
1.  compiler is being supported
2.  for computer being sold
3.  for O.S. being sold
4.  priced < $3000
..

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/17/2006 9:33:38 AM
> David Frank wrote in message
> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..
>
> Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
> past 10 months) is irrelevant.
>
>    It is a REPLACEMENT product.

It was released over 4 years ago, and MZN
its potential user has posted its price at  $5500  <snigger>

WOW!!   doesnt that burn you and Klein's ass  him letting the unwashed
public know
how much IBM now charges to use PL/I with Windows.

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/17/2006 9:43:43 AM
David,
  I think you have confused the EARLIER product,
    -  Websphere Studio Enterprise Edition (WSED)
            with
    - Websphere Developer for zSeries (WDz)

The latter is a relatively (last year) FOLLOW-ON product to the earlier product.

Again, you don't seem to understand IBM's naming and versioning and follow-on
product policies.  As Robin has indicated (clearly and several times), when IBM
introduces a "follow-on" product (with new and enhanced features) then usually
announce a DROP of the previous product (first from marketing and then from
support).  This has happened over the years for IBM's PL/I offerings for PC's
and will probably continue in the future.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

> "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..
>>
>> Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
>> past 10 months) is irrelevant.
>>
>>    It is a REPLACEMENT product.
>>

> It was released over 4 years ago, and MZN
> its potential user has posted its price at  $5500  <snigger>
>
> WOW!!   doesnt that burn you and Klein's ass  him letting the unwashed public
> know
> how much IBM now charges to use PL/I with Windows.

0
wmklein (2605)
9/17/2006 9:57:53 AM
David Frank wrote in message <450d1a36$0$4221$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..
>>
>> Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
>> past 10 months) is irrelevant.
>>
>>    It is a REPLACEMENT product.
>
>It was released over 4 years ago,

You're wrong, of course.
Websphere PL/I was announced only at the end of last year,
IIRC, or the beginning of this year.

When it was released is irrelevant, as IBM overlaps their
replacement products and their superseded products.

Obviously, you don't understand anything, even when
it's spelled out in words of one syllable.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/18/2006 10:58:39 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450d17d9$0$4245$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>>>
>>>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>>>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?
>>
>> You still don't get it.
>> I spelled it out below.
>>
>> Here it is again in words of one syllable.

>> *WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
>> *THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
>> Get it now?
>
>What has that got to do with the fact that IBM has withdrawn following
>compilers
>. Visual Age PL/I for Windows (and OS/2)
>. Personal PL/I for Windows  (and OS/2)
>making the total # compilers available from IBM   4 less than previous.

Not only can you not write a correct progran in PL/I,
nor Fortran, you can't even add up a simple addition of numbers less than 4.

>Thats what I mean my a deteriorating situation.

There is no "deteriorating situation"  The only thing
deteriorating is your situation.

VisualAge PL/I was superseded by Enterprise PL/I,
which in turn was replaced by Websphere PL/I.
The number of compilers has not decreased,
because it's the same compiler, but upgraded.

GET IT NOW?

IBM's Personal PL/I compiler was, in fact, the same compiler
as VisualAge compiler.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/18/2006 10:58:40 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450d17d9$0$4245$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>>>
>>>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>>>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?
>>
>> You still don't get it.
>> I spelled it out below.
>>
>> Here it is again in words of one syllable.

>> *WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
>> *THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
>> Get it now?
>
>What has that got to do with the fact that IBM has withdrawn following
>compilers
>. Visual Age PL/I for Windows (and OS/2)
>. Personal PL/I for Windows  (and OS/2)
>making the total # compilers available from IBM   4 less than previous.
>
>Thats what I mean my a deteriorating situation.

>>>How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
>>>mainframe?
>>
>> How many vendors are making mainframes?  (other than, of course, IBM)
>
>Let me rephrase my question,

You are sidestepping my question.
You don't know, and behind your question is another lie.

>how long has it been since a non-IBM vendor supported a PL/I compiler for
>their computer?

Non-IBM vendors are currently supporting their compilers.

>I repeat there is NO PL/I compiler available today that meets following
>criteria
>1.  compiler is being supported
>2.  for computer being sold
>3.  for O.S. being sold
>4.  priced < $3000

You are repeating your lie, since you haven't bothered to find out
what the current pricing is.

Anyway, you are still lying.
Kednos PL/I is FREE.  That means GRATIS.
That means it costs NOTHING.  Get it now?

And don't forget IBM's PL/I for AIX.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/18/2006 10:58:41 PM
Following up to "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> :

>Obviously, you don't understand anything, even when
>it's spelled out in words of one syllable.

F.F. wouldn't understand that comment, Robin, as "syllable" has more than
one syllable.
--
Tim C.
Tim C. wrote in message ...
>Following up to "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> :
>
>>Obviously, you don't understand anything, even when
>>it's spelled out in words of one syllable.
>
>F.F. wouldn't understand that comment, Robin, as "syllable" has more than
>one syllable.

Groan.  I overlooked that.  Heaven help us!

0
robin_v (2737)

Upgrading to currently supported IBM PL/I for Windows (was: How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco
David, The following (repost) includes your note from the end of August where you stated, "no upgrade pricing for existing Visual Age PL/I customers), ..." and my reply showing the one of the part numbers and where it is documented. *** Dare you to admit that you were WRONG when you stated (today), "That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware of) since this is the first post I have raised this issue, (must be someone else who really gives a damn)." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:... > ain't no such thing as > "a Z/OS PL/I for Windows pkg" > > So you are correct (for a change) there isn't anyone who has upgraded to it. > > For any other question (to correct your publicly stated misconceptions on how > the product works), check out the manual for yourself at: > > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27007348 > > As far as IBM selling copies of its "Websphere Developer for z/OS" product, > there have certainly been lots of sales (as reported at IBM user groups) as > well as the fact that many copies are "given away" with other IBM product > purchases. > > As far as upgrade pricing and ordering, check out the announcement at: > > http://www-306.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&s...

re: IBM continues PL/I support (was: IBM continues ...)
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:48:40 GMT > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. .. That doesn't mean anything. There are other languages available on AIX. It's just a specific announcement about those compilers. .. > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. .. We know you're lying, and you know you're lying. .. Peter Elderon wrote to you several months ago saying that the Windows product is supported. .. It's a current and on-going support in parallel with the z/os Enterprise compiler. .. The Enterprise compiler was developed from the workstation (Windows compiler), and is compatible with it. This is to enable the development on the PC of programs for z/os, and vice versa. The Windows VisualAge product can emulate the z/os machine, and can operate in Windows (PC) mode, thus allowing the PC product to operate directly on z/os data and to generate such data for use on z/os when required. .. > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I You know that you are lying. We know it too. .. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ .. No-one...

IBM - SHARE
I have recently taken over the "requirements coordinator" position for the SHARE (US) "COBOL, PL/I, & LE" project. I am developing an email list (for private use only) of those who want to be informed when there are SHARE requirements for PL/I (LE, or COBOL). I have already asked in the comp.lang.cobol and IBM-MAIN lists, but wanted to post in this forum as well a request that you send me a PRIVATE email requesting to be added to my list *IF* you work for a SHARE member organization and want to be informed of such discussions or votes. P.S. I am PERSONALLY mostly a COBOL and LE "person" - but have sufficient PL/I support that I think this won't be a problem. If you (or someone else in your organization) wants to be involved in this process, make certain that you have a "SHARE user-id" *and* can access the existing REQS_APLS_LNGC requirements at: http://www.share.org/REQS/reqmain.nsf/Req+by+Status?OpenView&CollapseAll Currently, I don't see any PL/I (specific) requirements out there, but there are some COBOL and LE ones. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com ...

Question about IBM PL/I implementation
I no longer have access to Either PL/I for MVS and VM or Enterprise PL/I. Would anyone be able to see if the following program compiles without error with them? Thanks a lot. Hopefully I didn't make any typos... lv: proc options (main); do; begin; leave; end; /* begin */ end; /* do */ end lv; -- Pete On 2012-06-13 23:58:13 +0000, Peter Flass said: > I no longer have access to Either PL/I for MVS and VM or Enterprise > PL/I. Would anyone be able to see if the following program compiles > without error with them? Thanks a lot. Hopefully I didn't make any > typos... > > lv: proc options (main); > do; > begin; > leave; > end; /* begin */ > end; /* do */ > end lv; The Enterprise PL/I manual says explicitly "The LEAVE statement and the referenced or implied DO statement must not be in different blocks." -- John W Kennedy "But now is a new thing which is very old-- that the rich make themselves richer and not poorer, which is the true Gospel, for the poor's sake." -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford" On Thursday, 14 June 2012 10:13:41 UTC+10, John W Kennedy wrote: > On 2012-06-13 23:58:13 +0000, Peter Flass said: > > > I no longer have access to Either PL/I for MVS and VM or Enterprise > > PL/I. Would anyone be a...

re: IBM PL/I is supported
Subject: Re: PL/I examples please From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:03:45 GMT > "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message > news:smBub.16820$aT.10328@news-server.bigpond.net.au... >> From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida >> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:50:47 GMT >> >> > and its for sure you FAKE PL/I >> > enthusiasts havent purchased the only other option the $3000 >> > IBM Visual Age PL/I for Windows (now dropped from IBM's >> > upgrading).. >> . >> Again you lie. You lie because it has not been dropped. You lie about the price. >> The full product (which has full z/OS support as well as >> Windows support) can be purchased for as little as $475 >> (upgrade). .. > A upgrade is NOT the full product, this has been explained to you > before by others here, but you fail to grasp the distinction. .. READ WHAT I WROTE. It says "FULL PRODUCT". FULL PRODUCT. FULL PRODUCT. Do you know what that means? It means FULL PRODUCT. "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:c6Vub.18346$aT.14299@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > You lie about the price. > > READ WHAT I WROTE. > It says "FULL PRODUCT". FULL PRODUCT. FULL PRODUCT. > > Do you know what that m...

<IBM. PL/I and DPF
The following is from Peter Elderon in response to my query about Robin's statement, "For the math functions, float decimal arithmetic > is performed in float binary." What he sent me was, *** I didn't see Robin's post, but would like to clarify what he said. First, our PL/I for Windows compiler currently has no DFP support (and hence I changed the subject line) Second, our Enterprise PL/I compiler on z/OS has DFP support that uses DFP instructions for all arithmetic, load, stores, conversions etc. The LE math library currently offers only a subset of the DFP mathematical functions that PL/I requires (and PL/I needs not just sqrt, but cos, acos, etc). This will change in 2008, and when it does, PL/I will use this set for all its mathematical functions. But until then, for something like ASIN of a DFP, it converts the DFP to float binary, computes ASIN of that and converts the result back to DFP. This is a stopgap measure. - Peter -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com William M. Klein wrote: > The following is from Peter Elderon in response to my query about Robin's > statement, > > "For the math functions, float decimal arithmetic > is performed in float > binary." > > What he sent me was, > > *** > > I didn't see Robin's post, but would like to clarify what he said. > > First, our PL/I for Windows compiler currently has no DFP support (and he...

IBM, SHARE, PL/I and Linus
For those of you who are eligible to participate in the (IBM) SHARE requirements process, there is no a requirement to port the PL/I compiler to Linux. This requirement is in the LNGC project and is currently in the "Open for Discussion" phase. Please feel free to participate (if you are eligible). The previous requirement to port the COBOL compiler to Linux received an "ACCEPTED" reply, so I (personally) feel relatively confident about how this one will get processed by IBM. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com OOPS, please read "there is no a requirement" as "there is NOW a requirement" -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:9%aIe.917115$JR4.147376@fe02.news.easynews.com... > For those of you who are eligible to participate in the (IBM) SHARE > requirements process, there is no a requirement to port the PL/I compiler to > Linux. This requirement is in the LNGC project and is currently in the "Open > for Discussion" phase. Please feel free to participate (if you are eligible). > > The previous requirement to port the COBOL compiler to Linux received an > "ACCEPTED" reply, so I (personally) feel relatively confident about how this > one will get processed by IBM. > > -- > Bill Klein > wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com > ...

How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco
Below is an excerpt from Mark Halpern's http://www.rules-of-the-game.com/com003-memoir2.htm <<< One good thing was accomplished for IBM, too, during that strange becalmed period: I helped IBM recover from the PL/I fiasco. The PL/I project had started during my first tour with the company, in New York, as a way of avoiding the dreaded "proliferation of programming languages." The cost of developing and maintaining programming languages had impressed IBM management deeply, and they were willing listeners to the argument that the way to minimize this cost was to develop one language that would support virtually all important users, replacing Fortran, Cobol, and even, to a great extent, assembler language. During my years with LMSC, IBM's PL/I effort had proceeded, and had produced a language that did indeed include just about every feature that Fortran and Cobol offered, as well as a good deal else. The guiding principle behind its design seemed to be the same as that of the original Fortran compiler "Oh, and another thing..." The difference was that in the case of Fortran, for all practical purposes the first real compiler, dependence on that principle was quite understandable; its designers were inventing computer science as they went, and doing it brilliantly. The PL/I designers had no such excuse; they had the examples of Fortran, Cobol, and a dozen other languages before them, and they had the benefit, if they had ...

IBM PL/I V7 ENHANCEMENTS
Enhancements at V3R7 of IBM's PL/I * IEEE Decimal Floating-Point (DFP) is supported. This includes support for the following new built-in functions: - ISFINITE - ISINF - ISNAN - ISNORMAL - ISZERO Also, as part of the DFP support, the following old built-in functions have been updated: - EPSILON - EXPONENT - HUGE - MAXEXP - MINEXP - PLACES - PRED - RADIX - ROUND - SCALE - SUCC - TINY * The new MEMCONVERT built-in function will allow the user to convert arbitrary lengths of data between arbitrary code pages. * The new ONOFFSET built-in function will allow the user to have easy access to another piece of information formerly available only in the runtime error message or dump, namely the offset in the user procedure at which a condition was raised. * The new STACKADDR built-in function will return the address of the current dynamic save area (register 13 on z/OS) and will make it easier for users to write their own diagnostic code. * The new QUOTE option will allow the user to specify alternate code points for the quote (?) symbol since this symbol is not code-page invariant. * The new XML compiler option can be used to specify that the tags in the output of the XMLCHAR built-in function be either in all upper case or in the case in which they were declared. ...

IBM PL/I V8 ENHANCEMENTS
Enhancements in V3R8 of IBM PL/I * The new PLISAXC built-in function will allow the user to exploit the z/OS XML System Services parser as if it were a SAX parser. Thanks to the underlying support in this parser, PLISAXC will provide support for name spaces as well as documents that are larger than 2G. * The new ULENGTH, ULENGTH8, ULENGTH16, UPOS, USUBSTR, UVALID and UWIDTH built-in functions will allow the user to query and process strings containing UTF-8 and UTF-16 data. * The new FIXEDBIN, FIXEDDEC, FLOATBIN and FLOATDEC built-in functions will allow the user to specify all the result attributes (other than the mode) in a numeric conversion and thus allow the user to write not only more easily understood code but code that will also perform better (particularly for some DFP conversions). * The new ONLINE built-in function will allow the user to have easy access to another piece of information formerly available only in the runtime error message or dump, namely the line number in the user code at which a condition was raised. * The new REG12 built-in function will return the address of the CAA and will make it easier for users to write code that uses some Language Environment services. * The REPATTERN built-in function will support 3 additional DB2 date-time formats. * The new DIMACROSS attribute will make it easier to exploit DB2 multi-row fetch. * The new SUPPRESS attribute will make ...

PL/I
Just to clarify (I hope) information about PL/I, standards, and IBM. If you check out: http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/results and put "PL/I" in the search option (at the top) You will see the dates of the "most recent" ANSI PL/I Standards. ANSI rules say that any Standard *must* be reaffirmed every 5 years to be a "current" ANSI Standard. Therefore, the - ANSI/INCITS 74-1987(R1993) PL/I General Purpose Subset (formerly ANSI X3.74-1987(R1993)) and - INCITS TR-7-1989 Information Processing Systems Technical Report - Rea...

Re: IBM's PL/I
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> writes: > Robin says IBM supports PL/I with downloads but below link > doesnt even mention PL/I as a IBM product, > > http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/category.jsp?s=c&S_TACT=&S_CMP=&cat=swdev > > go to center of above web page, pull down the peephole for products, > apparently all languages have download support EXCEPT you guessed it, > PL/I You're looking in the wrong place. ...

IBM continues PL/I support withdrawal
I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) were just updated, but not PL/I.. Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats receiving development support. Bottom line: There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ IE. His FAQ touts a $15,000 (you gotta be kidding) Liant PL/I that Liant doesnt include in their product SUPPORT list and havent updated in YEARS. "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YVlub.195580$RP2.96913@twister.tampabay.rr.com>... > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. > > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. > > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I > You remind me of a brat so impressed with his own defecation that he spreads his excrement everywhere he can. No one else is impresesd. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ That's an extremely stupid suggestion. Migrating code from on...

IBM says PL/I strings are limited
David, All IBM PL/I compilers limit character (and bit) strings to a maximum length of 32767. But there are functions to move, compare, search etc buffers of up to 2G in size. - Peter Notes address: Peter Elderon/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS Internet address: elderon@us.ibm.com AS YOU WERE ALSO TOLD HERE, FUCKWIT! "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:w353f.13558$QE1.3538@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > David, > > All IBM PL/I compilers limit character (and bit) strings to a maximum > length of 32767. But there are functions to move, compare, search etc > buffers of up to 2G in size. > > - Peter > > Notes address: Peter Elderon/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS > Internet address: elderon@us.ibm.com > > > > > You mis-addressed below, it shud have in reply to any of about 20 messages from maroon#1 who has yet to refute his statement, "PL/I strings can be any length" but then you are intimated by his superior intellect. "Mark Yudkin" <myudkinATcompuserveDOTcom@boingboing.org> wrote in message news:434f88c3$0$1161$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch... > AS YOU WERE ALSO TOLD HERE, FUCKWIT! > "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:w353f.13558$QE1.3538@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... >> David, >> >> All IBM PL/I compilers limit character (and bit) strings to a maximum >> length of 32767. But...

IBM Enterprise PL/I 4.1
From: john gilmore Sent: Thursday, 22 July 2010 8:31 PM Somewhat overshadowed by the zEnterprise brouhaha, this morning's IBM product announcements letter also includes information about the new Version 4.1 of the IBM PL/I compiler, which will be available beginning in September. It includes a newly supported ARCH level for zEnterpriose hardware. __________________ From: "Robert Prins" Sent: Thursday, 22 July 2010 10:12 PM A new ARCH() happens with about every release, the following two features are rather more interesting: # The compiler can flag, via the new DEPRECATE option, the usage of user-specified built-in functions, user variable, or include files. With this option, you can more easily enforce internal quality and naming standards. # The compiler provides more RULES suboptions to flag poor coding: * NOGLOBALDO to flag loops with a control variable declared in a parent block * NOPADDING to flag structures with padding Anyone knows what these requirements are: User group requirements This announcement addresses nine requirements from one or more of the worldwide user group communities. Groups include COMMON, COMMON Europe, Guide Share Europe (GSE), InterAction (Australia/New Zealand), Japan Guide Share (JGS), and SHARE Inc. Requirements addressed include: * MR102909480 * MR0129066613 * MR0312104052 * MR0427097311 * MR0505094514 * MR1029094810 * MR1104096225 * MR1110093235 * MR1112095051 Robert &...

IBM's LPEX for PL/I
Hi, Is anyone here using the PL/I Editor, and if so, how do you find it? Hi Robin, we use Rational Developer for System/z which includes LPEX. As always: Some features are quite nice (e.g. the block functions) some are not. All in all it is more suited for COBOL than for PL/I. Jessica > Hi, > Is anyone here using the PL/I Editor, and if so, how do you find it? > On Sunday, October 5, 2014 2:27:27 PM UTC+2, robin....@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > Is anyone here using the PL/I Editor, and if so, how do you find it? Same as Jessica: Using LPEX as part of ...

IBM PL/I for Windows (FixPack info)
Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for enhancements goes to: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new which says (in part) "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which are appropriate for Windows have been incorporated into this fixpak." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:inGVe.41193$e95.13136@fe08.news.easynews.com... > Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I > thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" > for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm > > And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for > enhancements goes to: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new > > which says (in part) > > "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which...

ISO IBM Personal PL/I Upgrade
I currently have the IBM Personal PL/I compiler, V2.R1.04 purchased directly from IBM so it's legal and was wondering if there's a later version available. I know IBM doesn't sell it any more, or at least I can't find it on the IBM Website. Is there anyone out there who would send me (or sell me) the latest (last?) version of the Personal PL/I software or point me to a place where I could get it? I don't use PL/I enough to warrant a full VisualAge purchase but I'd really like to get the Personal version up to date. TIA Tom Lake On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:16:18 GMT, Tom Lake <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote: > I currently have the IBM Personal PL/I compiler, V2.R1.04 purchased > directly > from IBM so it's legal and was wondering if there's a later version > available. I know IBM doesn't sell it any more, or at least I can't > find it > on the IBM Website. Is there anyone out there who would send me (or sell > me) the latest (last?) version of the Personal PL/I software or point me > to > a place where I could get it? I don't use PL/I enough to warrant a full > VisualAge purchase but I'd really like to get the Personal version up to > date. > > TIA > > Tom Lake > > Here is a better solution Purchase either PWS xxx (where xxx = 433, 500 or 600) or XP1000 Alpha box, you can probably get one for $200 to $600 off ebay, install Hobbyist version of VMS and H...

re: IBM continues PL/I support
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:51:55 GMT "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:vgxub.6097$n56.4610@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... > Alternatively, if one *WANTS* IBM to provide "new" PL/I compilers on other > platforms (than z/OS) one could submit SHARE requirements for such. > > -- > Bill Klein > wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com .. > I see you posted the Z/OS PL/I v3.3 upgrade announcement several weeks > back. > Will you confirm to the reading impaired here that it doesnt > include Windows PL/I in its OS system prerequisite section? .. IBM has been working on z/OS recently, because it is a relatively new product, and naturally there was an upgrade announcement as a result of that work. .. It doesn't imply or suggest anything about their other PL/I compilers, which have been on the market for a number of years, and are now robust complers. They do not need as frequent updates as the new compiler on z/OS. ...

IBM Enterprise PL/I 4.3
Highlights of announcement letter 212-322: * Support for ARCH(10) machines add new instructions supported by the execution-hint, load-and-trap, and miscellaneous-instructions-extensions facilities. * The compiler uses some of these new instructions to improve the performance of some data type conversions from PICTURE to FIXED BIN and from PICTURE to FLOAT. * Inlined code and improvements to builtins. * SQL preprocessor improvements * New built-in functions UTF8, UTF8TOCHAR, and UTF8TOWCHAR * Additional compiler options. http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS212-322&appname=USN -- Pete On Aug 30, 10:41=A0pm, Peter Flass <Peter_Fl...@Yahoo.com> wrote: > Highlights of announcement letter 212-322: > > * Support for ARCH(10) machines add new instructions supported by the > execution-hint, load-and-trap, and miscellaneous-instructions-extensions > facilities. > > * The compiler uses some of these new instructions to improve the > performance of some data type conversions from PICTURE to FIXED BIN and > from PICTURE to FLOAT. > > * Inlined code and improvements to builtins. > > * SQL preprocessor improvements > > * New built-in functions UTF8, UTF8TOCHAR, and UTF8TOWCHAR > > * Additional compiler options. > > http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=3DAN&subtype..= .. Good one, P...

IBM continues to suppport and enhance its PL/I support
David Frank wrote in message ... >A couple years ago, Peter Elderon replied to my inquiry about new PL/I >development, altho he states that windows pl/i has been upgraded in tandem >with Z/os. He by omission is saying other than a windows tandem upgrade >(its being updated with fixpacks, which is not a Version upgrade), IBM is >cutting back its upgrades for other platforms, e.g. the last windows pl/i >release was 1998 v2.1 thats SEVEN YEARS ago. I've told you before that the Windows PL/I compiler was ported to z/OS. This was a new compiler for z/OS, and that there have been upgrades of the z/OS product as the inevitable bug showed up, and as well some enhancements were made to that compiler. These enhancements were also done to the Windows compiler. In other words, both compilers are current, up-to-date, and both are being upgraded together. This is to permit the same programs to be run on Windows and on z/OS with identical results. The Windows product also emulates the z/OS environment (that is, it handles both EBCDIC and ASCII, and handles little endian and big-endian formats.) The Windows compiler is up to Release 6 or so. On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:06:49 GMT, robin wrote: > e.g. the last windows pl/i > release was 1998 v2.1 thats SEVEN YEARS ago. Because PLI is stable and doesn't need "fixing" like Fortran? -- Tim C. Tim Challenger wrote in message <1125987422.3a66ad705829cf22dca9dc646182f489@teranews>...

IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation
to: comp.lang.pl1 As a follow up to previous notes, if anyone in this group is interested in the current IBM documentation for "IBM PL/I for Windows", you can go to the page: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/library/ Under the paragraph that states, "WebSphere Developer for zSeries and WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer contain PL/I for Windows. The following PL/I for Windows documents are available:" you will find the links to the MOST recent documentation under: "WebSphere Developer for zSeries - Language Reference - Programming Guide" There is still some discussions going on, but to the best of my knowledge (and I *COULD* be wrong about this) it is (and will always be) impossible to purchase "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a product "by itself". However, this product (compiler, run-time and development tools for both Windows and zSeries applications) is a "built-in" part of IBM product, "WebsSphere Developer for zSeries" See: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ for additional information on this product. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise for Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement delivery channel. "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netco...

IBM PL/I V9 ENHANCEMENTS Oct. 2009
Enhancements at V9 of IBM/s PL/I. (PL/I Language Reference, 11th Edition, Oct. 2009) * The new MEMCU12, MEMCU21, MEMCU14, MEMCU24, MEMCU41, and MEMCU42 built-in functions provide the ability to convert between UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32, and on z/OS, they do this with inline code that exploits the corresponding hardware instruction. * The new PLITRAN11, PLITRAN12, PLITRAN21, and PLITRAN22 built-in functions provide the ability to translate one-byte and/or two-byte buffers, and on z/OS, they do this with inline code that exploits the corresponding hardware instruction. * The new USURROGATE built-in function provides the ability to test if a CHAR or WCHAR string contains any UTF surrogate pairs. * The new ROUNDDEC built-in function provides the ability to specify that a Decimal Floating-Point (DFP) number should be rounded at the nth decimal digit (rather than at the nth digit as provided by the ROUND built-in function). * The new INONLY, INOUT, and OUTONLY attributes will make it easier to make code more self-documenting and to allow the compiler to produce more accurate diagnostics (for example, the compiler can now not flag dummy arguments if they are declared as INONLY and not flag uninitialized arguments if they are declared as OUTONLY). * The new %DO SKIP; statement makes it easy to exclude blocks of code from the compilation and to "comment out" comments. * Six additional datetime patte...

IBM PL/I Announcemenr letter, March 2013
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036735 On 2013-05-01 09:08, Robin Vowels wrote: > http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036735 > Apparently IBM has no qualms about enhancing PL/I these days. It wasn't always that way. In the early/mid 80s managers were crying out for IBM to do more with PL/I but IBM's position was that they couldn't do anything because someone might accuse them of trying to achieve a monopoly in a particular market. On 2013-05-01 08:08:25 +0000, Robin Vowels said: > http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036735 Try August, 2012. -- John W Kennedy A proud member of the reality-based community. On May 2, 1:35=A0am, John W Kennedy <jwke...@attglobal.net> wrote: > On 2013-05-01 08:08:25 +0000, Robin Vowels said: > > >http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=3Dswg27036735 > > Try August, 2012. Perhaps you'd care to post the link? On 2013-05-02 13:33:13 +0000, Robin Vowels said: > On May 2, 1:35 am, John W Kennedy <jwke...@attglobal.net> wrote: >> On 2013-05-01 08:08:25 +0000, Robin Vowels said: >> >>> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036735 >> >> Try August, 2012. > > Perhaps you'd care to post the link? YOU posted the link. Right there. Look at what it links to. -- John W Kennedy "The poor have sometimes objected to being gove...

Web resources about - IBM PL/I - comp.lang.pl1

IBM - United States
The IBM corporate home page, entry point to information about IBM products and services.

IBM and the Holocaust - Home Page
IBM and the Holocaust is the stunning story of IBM's strategic alliance with Nazi Germany beginning in 1933 in the first weeks that Hitler came ...

IBM: Generation C: The Connected Customer
Break down the silos that plague most marketing organizations. If you are organized by media type, paid (advertising) owned (web, email, stores) ...

Welcome to the IBM Composer Pavilion!
Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system Welcome to the only site on the Internet dedicated to the IBM "Selectric" Composer ...

SCO v. IBM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... March 6, 2003, the SCO Group (formerly known as Caldera International and Caldera Systems ) filed a $1 billion lawsuit in the US against IBM ...

Is Shorting IBM Stock A Risky Bet?
IBM's valuation multiples are below average and its debt is manageable as confirmed by Fitch recently. My recommendation is to remain long on ...

IBM Watson now powers a Hilton hotel robot concierge
(credit: IBM/Hilton) Just arrived to your hotel, desperate for some munch at a decent restaurant nearby, and not really into speaking with human ...

What's happening at IBM?
This is a column I didn’t want to write. Like many of you I am tired of IBM stories and the company that was once an industry leader has become, ...

Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff extends an 'open hand' to laid-off IBM workers and asks for their resumes ...
After word went out last week that IBM continued its multi-year restructuring by handing pink slips to unknown number of workers, at least one ...

IBM and Cisco Retain Leading Positions in Navigant Research ...
IBM and Cisco Retain Leading Positions in Navigant Research ... Business Wire (press release) A new Leaderboard report from Navigant Research ...