IBM PL/I

Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
can use PL/I under Windows XP?

I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
should be active, i.e I can buy it.

0
mikezmn (64)
9/14/2006 3:02:19 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

The currently supported product for Windows targeted development includes both
the PL/I and COBOL compilers and lots of other "stuff".  Check out "WebSphere
Developer for z/Series" at:

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/

It is NOT cheap, but it is supported (both for mainframe and windows targeted
development) and does provide significant tools (possibly more than you might
want).

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>
> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
> should be active, i.e I can buy it.

0
wmklein (2605)
9/14/2006 10:38:25 PM
"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>
> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
> should be active, i.e I can buy it.

The PL/I situation continually deteriorates, IBM cancelled support for its
Visual Age PL/I for Windows
this year.
In summary, as I recently reported,
there is NO PL/I that meets minimum criteria below.

1. currently supported
2. for a CPU thats being sold
3. for a O.S. thats being sold
4. available for < $3000

Klein knows how much IBM has priced its Websphere PL/I but wont reveal thats
it about
   twice the $3000 figure.    Liant PL/I for Windows is rumored to be > $10k

Vowels has been reduced to recommending the FREE PL/I for DOS as the ONLY
PL/I for
windows that meets above criteria, but refuses to give a valid link where it
can be downloaded.

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/15/2006 7:51:58 AM
David Frank wrote in message <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
>> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>>
>> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
>> should be active, i.e I can buy it.
>>

>The PL/I situation continually deteriorates,

You are lying.

> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.

This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.

When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
one is withdrawn.

So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
as it is no longer a current product.

So, to spell it out for Frank --

0
robin_v (2737)
9/15/2006 3:05:11 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>Vowels has been reduced to recommending the FREE PL/I for DOS
> as the ONLY PL/I for windows that meets above criteria

You are still lying.

I also stated that Kednos PL/I  was free for non-commercial use
and runs on Windows on the ubiquitious PC and compatibles.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/15/2006 3:05:12 PM
William M. Klein wrote:
> The currently supported product for Windows targeted development includes both
> the PL/I and COBOL compilers and lots of other "stuff".  Check out "WebSphere
> Developer for z/Series" at:
>
>     http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/

If I understand correct it's IBM WebSphere Developer for zSeries
Authorized User License + SW Maintenance 12 Months (D5520LL)
$5,500.00.
And I suspect it's renamed IBM WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer.
But in Europe it costs more...

0
mikezmn (64)
9/15/2006 3:25:14 PM
"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> David Frank wrote in message
> <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
>>
>>"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I
>>> can use PL/I under Windows XP?
>>>
>>> I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product
>>> should be active, i.e I can buy it.
>>>

>>The PL/I situation continually deteriorates,
>
> You are lying.

Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.

Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?

How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
mainframe?  Maybe 25 yrs?  I call that not only deteriorating but a
DISASTEROUS situation.

>> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.
>
> This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
> sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.
>
> When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
> one is withdrawn.
>
> So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
> as it is no longer a current product.
>
> So, to spell it out for Frank --

Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..

Its like GM telling its Chevrolet owners they cant trade in their old chevys
because
they are dropping that line of cars and if they want to continue driving GM
cars
they must pay list price for a more expensive car with lots of options.

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/16/2006 11:07:21 AM
"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
> TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..

so you can't read either.  Check the archives for the "upgrade part number" to
order.  I posted that recently - because you kept giving this incorrect
inforamtion.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein (2605)
9/16/2006 12:23:38 PM
"William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>>
>> Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
>> TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..
>>
> so you can't read either.  Check the archives for the "upgrade part
> number" to order.  I posted that recently - because you kept giving this
> incorrect inforamtion.

That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware
of)
since this is the first post I have raised this issue,  (must be someone
else who
really gives a damn).  I take it you also are refusing to tell the price of
this upgrade
just like your refusal to post the non-upgrade price to the topic requestor
who
found it himself and posted it, ($5500)
You IBM syncophants are (P)athetic (L)osers (I)ndeed

> --
> Bill Klein
> wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/16/2006 1:25:47 PM

> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS,  something that costs
>>> TWICE as much with no update pricing is hardly a replacement..
>>>
>> so you can't read either.  Check the archives for the "upgrade part number"
>> to order.  I posted that recently - because you kept giving this incorrect
>> inforamtion.
>>

> That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware
> of)
> since this is the first post I have raised this issue,  (must be someone else
> who
> really gives a damn).  I take it you also are refusing to tell the price of
> this upgrade
> just like your refusal to post the non-upgrade price to the topic requestor
> who
> found it himself and posted it, ($5500)
> You IBM syncophants are (P)athetic (L)osers (I)ndeed

I don't post the price of IBM products for two reasons:

1) The price of most IBM products varies from country to country and is (almost)
never posted by IBM.

2) The price also varies based on quantities purchased.

Most IBM sites that talk about how to purchase their Workstation software also
include information on who and how to contact someone about price and similar
information.  Unlike you, most people who are serious about acquiring IBM
software don't have any problem following these instructions.

*(**

I'll find the upgrade note and resend it.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

0
wmklein (2605)
9/16/2006 5:47:44 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
>>>
>>>"MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>The PL/I situation continually deteriorates,
>>
>> You are lying.
>>

>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>
>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?

You still don't get it.
I spelled it out below.

Here it is again in words of one syllable.

*WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
*THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
Get it now?

>How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
>mainframe?

How many vendors are making mainframes?  (other than, of course, IBM)

>>> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.
>>
>> This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
>> sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.
>>
>> When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
>> one is withdrawn.
>>
>> So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
>> as it is no longer a current product.
>>
>> So, to spell it out for Frank --

0
robin_v (2737)
9/17/2006 1:33:53 AM
David Frank wrote in message <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450a5c54$0$4253$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
>>>
>>> IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Windows this year.
>>
>> This is IBM's normal practice, and does not imply anything
>> sinister as Frank is trying to insinuate.
>>
>> When IBM brings out a replacement product, the previous
>> one is withdrawn.
>>
>> So, when Websphere PL/I replaced VA PL/I, then VA PL/I was withdrawn,
>> as it is no longer a current product.
>>
>> So, to spell it out for Frank --

>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..

Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
past 10 months) is irrelevant.

    It is a REPLACEMENT product.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/17/2006 4:28:37 AM
> David Frank wrote in message
> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>> You are lying.
>>>

>>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>>
>>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?
>
> You still don't get it.
> I spelled it out below.
>
> Here it is again in words of one syllable.

> *WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
> *THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
> Get it now?

What has that got to do with the fact that IBM has withdrawn following
compilers
.. Visual Age PL/I for Windows (and OS/2)
.. Personal PL/I for Windows  (and OS/2)
making the total # compilers available from IBM   4 less than previous.

Thats what I mean my a deteriorating situation.

>>How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
>>mainframe?
>
> How many vendors are making mainframes?  (other than, of course, IBM)

Let me rephrase my question,
how long has it been since a non-IBM vendor supported a PL/I compiler for
their computer?

I repeat there is NO PL/I compiler available today that meets following
criteria
1.  compiler is being supported
2.  for computer being sold
3.  for O.S. being sold
4.  priced < $3000
..

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/17/2006 9:33:38 AM
> David Frank wrote in message
> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..
>
> Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
> past 10 months) is irrelevant.
>
>    It is a REPLACEMENT product.

It was released over 4 years ago, and MZN
its potential user has posted its price at  $5500  <snigger>

WOW!!   doesnt that burn you and Klein's ass  him letting the unwashed
public know
how much IBM now charges to use PL/I with Windows.

0
dave_frank (2243)
9/17/2006 9:43:43 AM
David,
  I think you have confused the EARLIER product,
    -  Websphere Studio Enterprise Edition (WSED)
            with
    - Websphere Developer for zSeries (WDz)

The latter is a relatively (last year) FOLLOW-ON product to the earlier product.

Again, you don't seem to understand IBM's naming and versioning and follow-on
product policies.  As Robin has indicated (clearly and several times), when IBM
introduces a "follow-on" product (with new and enhanced features) then usually
announce a DROP of the previous product (first from marketing and then from
support).  This has happened over the years for IBM's PL/I offerings for PC's
and will probably continue in the future.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

> "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..
>>
>> Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
>> past 10 months) is irrelevant.
>>
>>    It is a REPLACEMENT product.
>>

> It was released over 4 years ago, and MZN
> its potential user has posted its price at  $5500  <snigger>
>
> WOW!!   doesnt that burn you and Klein's ass  him letting the unwashed public
> know
> how much IBM now charges to use PL/I with Windows.

0
wmklein (2605)
9/17/2006 9:57:53 AM
David Frank wrote in message <450d1a36$0$4221$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Websphere PL/I has been around for YEARS..
>>
>> Whether it has or has not been (and AFIK it was released within the
>> past 10 months) is irrelevant.
>>
>>    It is a REPLACEMENT product.
>
>It was released over 4 years ago,

You're wrong, of course.
Websphere PL/I was announced only at the end of last year,
IIRC, or the beginning of this year.

When it was released is irrelevant, as IBM overlaps their
replacement products and their superseded products.

Obviously, you don't understand anything, even when
it's spelled out in words of one syllable.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/18/2006 10:58:39 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450d17d9$0$4245$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>>>
>>>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>>>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?
>>
>> You still don't get it.
>> I spelled it out below.
>>
>> Here it is again in words of one syllable.

>> *WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
>> *THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
>> Get it now?
>
>What has that got to do with the fact that IBM has withdrawn following
>compilers
>. Visual Age PL/I for Windows (and OS/2)
>. Personal PL/I for Windows  (and OS/2)
>making the total # compilers available from IBM   4 less than previous.

Not only can you not write a correct progran in PL/I,
nor Fortran, you can't even add up a simple addition of numbers less than 4.

>Thats what I mean my a deteriorating situation.

There is no "deteriorating situation"  The only thing
deteriorating is your situation.

VisualAge PL/I was superseded by Enterprise PL/I,
which in turn was replaced by Websphere PL/I.
The number of compilers has not decreased,
because it's the same compiler, but upgraded.

GET IT NOW?

IBM's Personal PL/I compiler was, in fact, the same compiler
as VisualAge compiler.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/18/2006 10:58:40 PM
David Frank wrote in message <450d17d9$0$4245$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>"robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> David Frank wrote in message
>> <450bdc38$0$4280$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...

>>>Still trying to weave a tangled web of deceit, I see.
>>>
>>>Do you deny IBM has cancelled PERSONAL PL/I for Windows and
>>>Visual Age PL/I for OS/2 in recent years?
>>
>> You still don't get it.
>> I spelled it out below.
>>
>> Here it is again in words of one syllable.

>> *WHEN IBM RE-LEAS-ES A RE-PLACE-MENT PROD-UCT,
>> *THE OLD ONE IS WITH-DRAWN.
>> Get it now?
>
>What has that got to do with the fact that IBM has withdrawn following
>compilers
>. Visual Age PL/I for Windows (and OS/2)
>. Personal PL/I for Windows  (and OS/2)
>making the total # compilers available from IBM   4 less than previous.
>
>Thats what I mean my a deteriorating situation.

>>>How many years since a non-IBM vendor introduced a PL/I compiler for their
>>>mainframe?
>>
>> How many vendors are making mainframes?  (other than, of course, IBM)
>
>Let me rephrase my question,

You are sidestepping my question.
You don't know, and behind your question is another lie.

>how long has it been since a non-IBM vendor supported a PL/I compiler for
>their computer?

Non-IBM vendors are currently supporting their compilers.

>I repeat there is NO PL/I compiler available today that meets following
>criteria
>1.  compiler is being supported
>2.  for computer being sold
>3.  for O.S. being sold
>4.  priced < $3000

You are repeating your lie, since you haven't bothered to find out
what the current pricing is.

Anyway, you are still lying.
Kednos PL/I is FREE.  That means GRATIS.
That means it costs NOTHING.  Get it now?

And don't forget IBM's PL/I for AIX.

0
robin_v (2737)
9/18/2006 10:58:41 PM
Following up to "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> :

>Obviously, you don't understand anything, even when
>it's spelled out in words of one syllable.

F.F. wouldn't understand that comment, Robin, as "syllable" has more than
one syllable.
--
Tim C.
Tim C. wrote in message ...
>Following up to "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.com> :
>
>>Obviously, you don't understand anything, even when
>>it's spelled out in words of one syllable.
>
>F.F. wouldn't understand that comment, Robin, as "syllable" has more than
>one syllable.

Groan.  I overlooked that.  Heaven help us!

0
robin_v (2737)