Misc questions

For the IBM compilers, can XN and XU constants contain a period (Hex/Decimal
Point) to indicate a scaling factor?  I don't have a PL/I compiler to test
this and the documentation is unclear to me.

Also, the manuals refer to "?" as a macro trigger character, but I can find
no other information about this.  Is there any real use of the "?" character
in PL/I, other than in a character string constant?

Finally, the PL1 list at Dartmouth appears to be dead.  Does anyone have any
information about this?  Are there any other active lists?

Thanks.

0
zzq (5)
7/13/2004 3:44:00 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

zzq wrote:
> For the IBM compilers, can XN and XU constants contain a period (Hex/Decimal
> Point) to indicate a scaling factor?  I don't have a PL/I compiler to test
> this and the documentation is unclear to me.

A strict reading of the documentation says no.

> Also, the manuals refer to "?" as a macro trigger character, but I can find
> no other information about this.  Is there any real use of the "?" character
> in PL/I, other than in a character string constant?

It is a mystery.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The bright critics assembled in this volume will doubtless show, in
their sophisticated and ingenious new ways, that, just as /Pooh/ is
suffused with humanism, our humanism itself, at this late date, has
become full of /Pooh./"
   -- Frederick Crews.  "Postmodern Pooh", Preface
0
jwkenne (1442)
7/14/2004 4:00:00 AM
Although xn and xu are "binary fixed point constants", the are "in
hexadecimal notation". The compiler will issue:
  IBM1351I E Characters in hex literals must be 0-9 or A-F.if you include a
decimal point
if you place a decimal point in the constant.
Fill in the readers comment form to indicate that the documentation should
indicate that the scale of xn / xu is always 0.

The "?" in the documentation is a forgotten zombie. Earlier workstation PL/I
compilers used the PLX preprocessor, which used "?". When the preprocessor
was replaced by one compatible with the old PL/I preprocessor, the old one
was frozen (access via PP(PLX) instead of PP(MACRO)) and not maintained (my
PMR was returned PER). Certain PLX syntax is still accepted, but is
generally just ignored; I believe this also applies to "?". Again, you can
fill in a readers comment form.

"zzq" <zzq@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> For the IBM compilers, can XN and XU constants contain a period
(Hex/Decimal
> Point) to indicate a scaling factor?  I don't have a PL/I compiler to test
> this and the documentation is unclear to me.
>
> Also, the manuals refer to "?" as a macro trigger character, but I can
find
> no other information about this.  Is there any real use of the "?"
character
> in PL/I, other than in a character string constant?
>
> Finally, the PL1 list at Dartmouth appears to be dead.  Does anyone have
any
> information about this?  Are there any other active lists?
>
> Thanks.

Questions over questions
Hello people, I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed over 30 seconds. Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script longer!? Greeting! Sven Dzepina wrote: > Hello people, > > I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed > over 30 seconds. > Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script > longer!? > > Greeting! > > If your ISP doesn't run your script in safe mode, which it most likely does, then you can set_time_limit(0); for unli...

misc questions about OpenVMS
I'm sort of a newbie in OpenVMS, and during my contact with OpenVMS while trying to setup a cluster system with the hobbyist OpenVMS CD, I've been collecting a set of questions: 1. where can I find documentation about the low-level details of the boot process of OpenVMS? There is an exemplar of "VAX/VMS Internals and data structures" (Lawrence J.Kenah,Simon F.Bate, 1984) in the university library -- I wonder whether it is completely outdated... 2. what's the relationship between MOP, MSCP and DECnet? I believe MOP is really low level, in terms of only supporting bootin...

[9fans] a few misc. questions...
In no particular order. Your help is very much appreciated - still getting my legs on w/ plan 9; I make a real effort not to query the list until I'm at a standstill. How do I enable hd dma? There's a dmamode=ask in my plan9.ini, but I don't see that option mentioned in the plan9.ini man. I've been running into mention of kfs throughout various rc scripts and whatnot; is kfs simply the default file system for a plan 9 terminal? Where's the boot log located (I looked in /sys/log)? I'm seeing some errors being printed to the console after I specified which user t...

re: Misc questions
zzq wrote: .. > For the IBM compilers, can XN and XU constants contain a period (Hex/Decimal > Point) to indicate a scaling factor? I don't have a PL/I compiler to test > this and the documentation is unclear to me. .. No, a point cannot be given. The syntax is quite explicit (see manual). ---'---hexdigit---'xn ^ | |__________V If you want an explicit point, use a binary constant, e.g., 10111.111b .. > Also, the manuals refer to "?" as a macro trigger character, but I can find > no other information about this. Is there any real use of the "?" character > in PL/I, other than in a character string constant? .. The "?" causes an explicit macro invocation, even if the macro has not been activated with a %ACTIVATE statement. .. See earlier manuals under "Explicit Macro Invocation". ...

JAVA lang question.
Hello,What does "String a : args" mean in the following code snippet:public class FindDups { public static void main(String[] args) { Set<String> s = new HashSet<String>(); for (String a : args) if (!s.add(a)) System.out.println("Duplicate detected: " + a); System.out.println(s.size() + " distinct words: " + s); }}J Leonard John.Leonard@_remove_before_sending_gmail.com wrote:> Hello,> > What does "String a : args" mean in the following code snippet:> > public class FindDups {...

Misc. QuickTime questions
Hello, I have a Carbon app (OSX only) that I use to do some video capture, manipulation, and compression. I intercept after the Sequence Grabber captures it, and again after it's compressed ready for the movie file. Now that I have another requirement, I decided to update the code to go away from FSSpecs and GWorlds. Unfortunately, now it seems to have slowed down *a lot*. What used to use about 15% of the CPU time is now over 30%. Recording two streams takes over 50% - when it used to take around 20%. Also, there appears to be a *huge* memory leak when using the H264 codec. Huge as in about 50+MB! I change my codec to H263, and there is no leak. No other change is made. Is using CVPixelBuffers instead of GWorlds that much slower? Any obvious tips for reducing my load? The frame rates are 7.5 fps, in CIF (352 x 288) size. Again, I'm aghast at the increase in load. Am I missing something obvious? One other note is that the former project was Codewarrior, and now I'm using XCode. Thanks! n@lex@h@nd-off.com ...

Network Programming (misc question)
Hi there, I'm about to develop a few programs (or rather a few functions of one program) in order to understand and practice network programming. The application will be focused on file transfer (aiming for transfer stability and speed) and I also intend to work on a action game network programming, so I will probably deal with ultra quick information transfer, etc... but my first concerns are for transfer speed and stability. My question is this. I will play with both UDP and TCP, I would like to know what size should my packets be to make sure they don't get fragmented, etc... what is the best packet size in other words? Thanks, xm On 19 Feb 2005 12:32:04 -0800, xm <xm@ca.inter.net> wrote: > Hi there, > I'm about to develop a few programs (or rather a few functions of > one program) in order to understand and practice network programming. > > The application will be focused on file transfer (aiming for > transfer stability and speed) and I also intend to work on a action > game network programming, so I will probably deal with ultra quick > information transfer, etc... but my first concerns are for transfer > speed and stability. > > My question is this. > > I will play with both UDP and TCP, I would like to know what size > should my packets be to make sure they don't get fragmented, etc... > what is the best packet size in other words? The best packet size, including any head...

Floating point misc questions
I was curious about the following floating point (390, Z) issues. I tried looking these things up in Z9 Principles of Operation but I didn't understand some of the comments. Comments would be welcome. 1) "HFP" and "BFP". It appears that BFP "Binary Floating Point" is a new instruction group. Could someone explain the difference to the original HFP? I thought everything was stored in binary, and hex was simply the external representation for us humans. Also, what are the advantages of BFP? (I am not trying to do anything, just curious about mod...

Re: Misc Questions of Newbie
Hi �what is your name?�, A few remarks: 1. Your code will generate errors, there are too many RUN statements followed by data step statements. 2. You unnecessarily use more than one data step. 3. Conditionally executed statements are not defined by statements on the same line. 4. In SAS terms you can not DROP an observation, certainly not one variable of only one observation. All observations have the same, all variables. What you want is to set the concerning variable to missing, you do not DROP it or DELETE a whole observation. 5. DO and END are necessary if you have more than one conditional statement. 6. Applying FIRST.var and LAST.var needs a BY with SET after SORT. 7. I do not see a company variable in your data. 8. To have means per month and year you will have to apply one of the (MONTH and YEAR) date functions in a data step to create a Month and Year variable from your Date variable. I hope your Date is not the alphanumeric readible one, but the SAS numeric one, the number of days since 01-01-1960 (or 1970, I never recall that; in C it is the other date). Without testing I would at least improve your code as: Proc sort data = abc.proliq1 (KEEP=date year month day Product Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4) OUT=proliq1; by product date; run; data abc.proBSE; set proliq1; BY Product Date; lagVar4=lag1(Var4); if Var3=0 then Var3=.; IF FIRST.Product THEN Var3 = .; * This sets Var3 to missing for each first obs per product; ELSE /*if not first.product then*/ lagvar4...

questions on audit question
I want to audit any insert, update transaction on a particular table. So I set audit_trail=DB then "audit insert, update on db1.tablename;" >From the SYS.AUD$ table, the result only shows ONE audit record for each session. For example, if UserA do 2 INSERTS and 3 UPDATES on the table during the session, I only got ONE record in SYS.AUD$: SQL> select userid, ses$actions from user_audit_object; USERA ------S---S----- But I want to see the exact number of times the tables are being insert and update. How to accomplish that? Susan susana73@hotmail.com wrote: > I want to audit any insert, update transaction on a particular table. > So I set audit_trail=DB then "audit insert, update on db1.tablename;" > >>From the SYS.AUD$ table, the result only shows ONE audit record for > each session. For example, if UserA do 2 INSERTS and 3 UPDATES on the > table during the session, I only got ONE record in SYS.AUD$: > > SQL> select userid, ses$actions from user_audit_object; > USERA ------S---S----- > > But I want to see the exact number of times the tables are being insert > and update. How to accomplish that? > > Susan And your Oracle version is? Given no version number ... look at using an after insert or update trigger. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - ...

design question
Hello all - I'm working on a database that stores data for a survey. We are storing several different types of surveys, each of which can have any number of different question types. For instance, a survey could have a multiple choice question, a yes/no question, numerical question, or a free-form text answer. When a user logs on to fill out a survey, the data from the survey template will be copied to a set of tables which look basically the same, except that they will store the survey questions and the answers from the user. Each question type would have a different field or fields for storing the answer. For instance, a yes/no question would require a binary field to store the answer, and a single field for the question itself. However, to store a multiple choice question, I need a field for the question, a related table for an arbitrary number of pre- written answer, and then a field for which answer the user chose. I'm trying to figure out the optimal way to store the questions ( in survey template tables ) and their user-generated answers. It seems to me that I have two choices: (1) I can have one table that has field for all of the question types, and most of fields will be empty, because each row will only need one or two fields to store a question. But, it seems I run the risk of storing data in the wrong field, if I don't code this carefully. survey_templates ----------- id survey_template_questions ------------------------ id survey_id question ...

newbie: question on accessing lang attributes
Hello, I'm a web designer who is new at Javascript and don't yet fully understand the potential of it. I manage a large site with 5 sectors that are foreign language translations and therefore use the lang=xx attrib on the <html> tag, as well as the "Content-Language" content="xx" attribute of the META http-equiv tag. I use javascript script implants on templates to "doc.write" a nav-bar custom to the particular language I am dealing with. My scheming little mind (always looking for short-cuts, aren't we? :) thought: If I could "c...

Have a question while reading vb file in PL1
Hello I have a file in Mainframe (ibm Z/os390) system. Which is record format of VB and and lrecl 1426. When I coded simple PL1 program to read every reocords of file and write to output file which will be of same format.(dcb of recfm=vb,lrecl=1426). Since this is VB records , in the output file occpies more storage than the input. for example in the input if I have 6000 records in one tape, the output also has 6000 recs only but has written in two tapes. the block size is same thou.(in both input and output which is 32760). Only the difference I see in the output it occupies full 1426. If one record is only 900 bytes in input, in the output it writes the first 900 bytes correctly and writes remainig part of it with some junk. can you folks tell me what to do to avoid unncessary junk characters. Thanks Ravi What do your file declarations and JCL look like? sankarravi6@yahoo.com wrote: > Hello > > I have a file in Mainframe (ibm Z/os390) system. Which is record format > of VB and and lrecl 1426. When I coded simple PL1 program to read every > reocords of file and write to output file which will be of same > format.(dcb of recfm=vb,lrecl=1426). Since this is VB records , in the > output file occpies more storage than the input. for example in the > input if I have 6000 records in one tape, the output also has 6000 > recs only but has written in two tapes. the block size is same thou.(in > both input and output which is 32760). Only...

ftp.ruby-lang.org question
Hi all, Is the contrib folder gone from ftp.ruby-lang.org? I haven't been paying attention, but it seems the Interbase package used to be there. The RAA has the download listed as ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/contrib/interbase-0.03.tar.gz, but it doesn't appear to be there any more. Any ideas? And where can one grab the interbase package these days? Regards, Dan ...

ftp.ruby-lang.org question #2
Hi all, Is the contrib folder gone from ftp.ruby-lang.org? I haven't been paying attention, but it seems the Interbase package used to be there. The RAA has the download listed as ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/contrib/interbase-0.03.tar.gz, but it doesn't appear to be there any more. Any ideas? And where can one grab the interbase package these days? Regards, Dan ...

**** Misc. question for Matlab Basics **** Must see----
hi everyone need ur help for following questions. 1. can we make EXE in Matlab? how? 2. How can we make SETUP of the project? 3. Can we connect our database (microsoft access or ms excel or other form) with .m file in matlab? if no then how can we use database in matlab.? 4. Can we generate reports from the database using matlab application. 5. can anyone fillup this tables and give me equations for images taken for study purpose? magification Pixel mm 20x 1 ? 40x 1 ? 60x 1 ? 80x 1 ? 100x 1 ? if yes then how? reply me soon because i need it urgently.. you can mail me also dhaval_patel_1@yahoo.com, dhaval4friends@indiatimes.com, Regards Dhaval Dhaval Patel wrote: > > > hi everyone > need ur help for following questions. > > > 1. can we make EXE in Matlab? how? yes, with matlab compiler (help mcc) > > 2. How can we make SETUP of the project? > > 3. Can we connect our database (microsoft access or ms excel or > other > form) with .m file in > matlab? if no then how can we use database in matlab.? yes, use matlab database toolbox (if you have), it is very well documented. > > 4. Can we generate reports from the database using matlab > application. > > 5. can anyone fillup this tables and give me equations for images > taken for study purpose? > > > magification Pixel mm > > > 20x 1 ? > 40x 1 ? > 60x 1 ? > 80x 1 ? > ...

misc, refocus: new possible lang idea, BSC
this is a misc and hypothetical idea: IMO all this is unlikely to move much beyond a personal effort. well, I have been beating together a C compiler, and also ended up thinking some about my script lang, integration, ... in this, I have come up with a new possible idea: I don't fully implement C, per se, but technically a different language that just happens to be mostly backwards compatible and can link directly with C (and the existing C runtime, another goal). so, the name BSC will mean BGB-Script/C, or a kind of hybrid (my current script lang is called BGB-Script, and sort of...

Kerio Personal Firewall: command lines + misc questions
Hello, My PC is running Win 2K with Kerio Personal Firewall (unregistered). I realized that my PC has two KPF4GUI.EXE processes. They are respectively launched with the following command lines: kpf4gui.exe -g 10 -s kpf4gui.exe -g 11 I wanted to know what these command line options mean, as well as if there are any others known to exist. I also want to know is it is normal that there are these two processes, or if I should remove the automatic launch of one of them. Thanks in advance, David Winter (dUNDERSCOREwinderAThotmailDOTcom). (replace words in CAPS by their meant character) ...

Question about the keyword synchronized, the previous question contain typing question please ignore it.
�p�̦��@��concept ���ө���, �Ʊ�U��H�S�i�H���@���U. First please have a look on the codes below: public class SyncTest { private int x; private int y; private synchronized void setX (int i){ x=i; } private synchronized void setY (int i) { y=i; } public void setXY(int i){ setX(i); setY(i); } public synchronized Boolean check() { return x !=y; } } The question is: Under which conditions will check() return when called form a different class A. Check() can never return true B...

popup question, and search question.
After reading Harlan's post about popups some of my questions were answered but.. I was going to use differnet popups on a lot of my pages. These popups contain bios on Cornell faculty. Two days ago this was the best place to put this info, that was until I tested it on my officemates computer where she has Adzapper installed and it killed the popup before it could be read. I assumed MANY people have this or similar software. So, the reason I chose to display this info in a popup was I could control it's size, I could turn off all the unnecessary items on the browse...

question on a uniprocessor scheduling question
A hW question. Just checking my answer. 1 High I/O-bound process that runs for 4ms every 20ms 2 Medium I/O-bound process that runs for 1ms every 5ms 3 Medium I/O-bound process that runs for 1ms every 5ms 4 Low Long-running compute-bound process 5 Low Long-running compute-bound process Describe what happens for the following scheduler: -First-come-first-served. Priorities are ignored. Here is what I say, --The first process runs for 4 ms, followed by the second, followed by the third, fourth, and fifth. During the running of the lengthy fourth and fifth processes the first three will ...

Question (First Question.. Ever)
I've been using Eudora since there was a Eudora and have never had any problems. I am presently using the current version and for some reason, three days ago, when it brings in email (Blurbs from Best Buy, or Future Shop, or any advertising email) the frames of the pictures are there, but no content. There is a red X in the top left hand corner and when I move the curser over the 'box' there is a black circle with a line through it. I haven't changed any settings. What is causing this? And how the heck do I fix it? I can click on the X and it takes me to advertise...

question about safe
Hello! How to prevent from such try of attack of the website? http://www.domain.com/index.php?id=%3Cscript%3Ealert(document.cookie);%3C/script%3E Thank you in advance for help M. MZ wrote: > Hello! > > How to prevent from such try of attack of the website? > > > http://www.domain.com/index.php?id=%3Cscript%3Ealert(document.cookie);%3C/script%3E > > > Thank you in advance for help > M. > > > As in your other question, there is no inherent vulnerability in PHP for this. But this is also javascript, not PHP, and PHP doesn't execute jav...

Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions abou
Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyo...

Web resources about - Misc questions - comp.lang.pl1

Salary expectations question: Best answers to give in a job interview
IT’S the awkward but crucial question in any job interview: “What are your salary expectations?”

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

The question nobody dares to ask about strategy
Picture by Henrik Mårtensson I originally published this article at Linkedin Pulse : When I transitioned from my work as a developer and systems ...

17 former Google interview questions so ridiculous that the company banned them
Sometimes the hiring practices of even the most successful companies can feel outright wonky. There can be strange interview questions that ...

14 great responses when a job interviewer asks, 'Any questions for me?'
So you managed to get through a phone screen, ten resume revisions, and a lot of anxious moments when you were convinced they were ignoring you. ...

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man
New York Daily News South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man Charlotte Observer Police officers work the scene of an officer-involved ...

5 Climate Questions About China’s New Five-Year Plan
Originally published on WRI. By Geoffrey Henderson, Ranping Song and Paul Joffe China has officially unveiled its 13th Five-Year Plan, which ...

Asking the cast of 'Shear Madness' some tough questions
NEW YORK (AP) — Actors like to think their show is different every night, but the folks at "Shear Madness" really aren't exaggerating.