PL/1 for windows.

I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
arm & legs for it.

Any Ideas??

Hanz

0
hschmidt99 (27)
8/20/2007 6:52:56 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1694 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
> compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
> arm & legs for it.
>
> Any Ideas??

Have you looked on the IBM site?

0
robin_v (2736)
8/25/2007 12:41:27 PM
IBM does not have PL/1 for windows. They had VisualAge PL/I for Windows,
but have stop support it.

Does anyone out there have it??

Thanx
Hanz

robin wrote:
> "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
>>compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
>>arm & legs for it.
>>
>>Any Ideas??
>

> Have you looked on the IBM site?

0
hschmidt99 (27)
9/25/2007 5:30:04 PM
Hanz Schmidt wrote in message <46F9459C.1030002@hotmail.com>...

>IBM does not have PL/1 for windows. They had VisualAge PL/I for Windows,
>but have stop support it.

The VA compiler was replaced with an updated one called Websphere PL/I,
which is available from IBM

The demo VA PLI compiler is still available.
As I said, have you looked on the IBM site?

>Thanx
>Hanz
>

>robin wrote:
>> "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
>>>compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
>>>arm & legs for it.
>>>
>>>Any Ideas??
>>

>> Have you looked on the IBM site?

0
robin_v (2736)
9/28/2007 2:01:41 AM
They used to have a PL/1 for Windows and OS/2.  It cost about $120.   I
was able to trade a litre of Canadian Maple Syrup for a copy from an
gentleman from the UK who now had the Visual Age Product.  It included
the compiler, linker and a language sensitive editor as well as the
Language Reference Manual, Programmers Guide, and Messages and Codes.
If it just included an assembler my life would be complete.

I have found it to be of great utility.  Don't bother asking IBM about
it, I used personal contacts within IBM to try and get a copy of it
before the copy from England became available.  If there is any regret
it is the fact that the PLISORT routines are not available but because
all of my files had unique keys I was able to use VSAM files.  1,700
lines of C became 1,100 lines of PL/1 and the resulting program had
increased functionality.

My advice is to try and locate a copy of this product, it is on a single
CD.  IF IBM isn't even going to admit to the existence of this product
they should make public domain and allow some group(s) to distribute it.

Paul

--
Paul S. Hinman - VE6LDS
long West 113 deg 27 min 20 sec

Paul Hinman wrote:
> They used to have a PL/1 for Windows and OS/2.  It cost about $120.   I

A few years ago I bought the Personal PL/I product for $119 USD via
download from the IBM web site.  It was designed for Windows NT but
could be installed on Windows XP with a few tweaks.  It works really
well for my purposes.

A few months later it disappeared from their web site.  About 1.5 years
ago I got in touch with IBM (via email or "Contact Us" from their web
site or somehow) and they called me back.  They no longer sell that
product nor do they have any plans to do so.

This was not a surprise.  Their installation procedure was poorly (and
incorrectly) documented and it didn't work -- at least on XP -- without
subsequent (undocumented) modification of the user environment.  I
interpreted their failure to modify it for XP and their poor
installation procedure documentation (and, of course, their removal of
the product from their web site) as an indication they don't plan to
continue providing a Personal PL/I product.

I've worked with other inexpensive IBM software products before; the
documentation and support were substandard -- bordering on completely
unusable.  IBM's overall reputation for quality customer service
(well-earned -- at least in the past) suggests they put most of their
effort into products with higher per-unit profit margins.  This, of
course, excludes them from the high-volume, lower profit margin market.
  I suspect this is why, although they were the dominant force in the
early years of the PC market, they have since had to give up that
product line to Lenovo.  They should learn a few things about marketing
from Microsoft.

> IF IBM isn't even going to admit to the existence of this product they should make public domain and allow some group(s) to distribute it.

I concur, but I doubt IBM agrees.  I'd prefer they just modify it so it
works on current OS versions and fix the installation procedures and
documentation -- and then sell it for the old $119 USD price (or enough
for them to make a reasonable profit), perhaps with the same caveats
Microsoft uses for products sold for academic use or through their
Company Store.  Maybe they could just license some other vendor to sell
it for them and pay royalties so IBM wouldn't have the administrative
overhead.  But I don't thing the IBM marketing department would pay much
attention to my opinions.

Bob Lidral
l i d r a l  at  a l u m  dot  m i t  dot  e d u
On Oct 14, 2:33 am, Bob Lidral <l1dralspamb...@comcast.net> wrote:
It was designed for Windows NT but
could be installed on Windows XP with a few tweaks.

Bob, could you give us theese tweaks? As I know, it should install
well under XP, but not XP SP2...

0
mikezmn (64)
10/14/2007 8:11:04 AM
MZN wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2:33 am, Bob Lidral <l1dralspamb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It was designed for Windows NT but
> could be installed on Windows XP with a few tweaks.
>
> Bob, could you give us theese tweaks? As I know, it should install
> well under XP, but not XP SP2...

Sure.  I'm not sure how well it might install under SP2; I was running
XP SP1 when I installed it and I installed SP2 later.  BTW, after
purchasing it and asking how to install it, IBM sent email claiming it
wasn't supported on XP and offering to let me return it for a refund --
glad I decided not to return it.

0.  First, set a restore point before proceeding -- just for fun.  :-)
If, for some reason, the installation fails, use it.  This can save you
a lot of time, trouble, and effort.

1.  The name of the installation file is "CG6AFNA.exe" and not
"41L2880.exe" (as described in the original download documentation).

2.  It needs to be installed from the Administrator account -- not just
any old account with administrator privileges.  I'm not sure why that is
-- I thought an account with administrator privileges could do anything
the Administrator account could, but apparently not.

3.  In order to link programs, you need to add "C:\IBMPLIW\lib\" to your
LIB environment variable:
     set LIB=%LIB%;C:\IBMPLIW\lib\
or add it to your LIB environment variable via "My Computer" Properties
or use the "LIBS" option.

4.  You may also find it useful to add "C:\IBMPLIW\bin" to your Path
environment variable.

5.  Documentation is located in a ZIP file at:
     ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/personal/
For some reason, IBM forgot to include it in the installation package
(sigh).

I think that's everything.  Much credit for this belongs to Adam
Godlewski: most of this information came from him, the rest from trial
and error.

Good luck.

Bob Lidral
l i d r a l  at  a l u m  dot  m i t  dot  e d u

NFS Camels 1.1
A new bright free screensaver called Camels from a collection of free screensavers on http://www.newfreescreensavers.com. Three dark cartoon camels on a yellow background. NewFreeScreensavers.com offers free screensavers of nature, natural phenomena, screensavers showing time, and others. The screensavers from http://www.newfreescreensavers.com are initially designed to prevent damage to CRT and plasma computer monitors by blanking the screen or filling it with moving images or patterns when the computer is not in use. The screen saver starts automatically if your computer is idle fo...

FAQ 1.6 What is Perl 6? #4
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.6: What is Perl 6? At The Second O'Reilly Open Source Software Convention, Larry Wall announced Perl 6 development would begin in earnest. Perl 6 was an oft used term for Chip Salzenberg's project to r...

[ANN] Troll 1.1
Bonsoir :) Update of the next generation usenet client. Download on my homepage or directly in http://rajah.atari.org/files/ -> troll11_uk.zip (130 KB) News: - Bugfixes for: - if error when sending, the awaiting messages are not wronly deleted. - GDOS printing can be made on several pages - GEMDOS printing conversion from 8 bits to 7 bits + Miscellaneous options: + load automaticaly the new headlines when opening a newsgroup + set the headlines to 'all read' when leaving the newsgroup + load automaticaly the new messages (limited to 50) with the headlines (if cache...

automatic update of a variable in pl/sql
Hi, In PL/SQL, is it possible to declare a variable that will be updated each time a field of a table will have its value changed ? For example, the attribute %TYPE update the type of a variable each time the type of a field is changed. Is it possible to have the same thing not for the type of the field, but for its value ? Thanks Laura Laura, if I understand your question correctly the short answer is NO. You cannot directly tie a pl/sql variables value to a table column value so that the pl/sql variable value dynamically changes when the table column value changes. All ...

PL/I MULTIPLY
Can anyone oblige with the mainframe assembly code for DCL (A, B) FLOAT DEC, C FLOAT DEC (15); C = MULTIPLY (A, B, 16) Many thanks. "robin" <robin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:lIH4b.76924$bo1.36014@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Can anyone oblige with the mainframe assembly code for > > DCL (A, B) FLOAT DEC, C FLOAT DEC (15); > C = MULTIPLY (A, B, 16) Do you want someone to actually compile it, or guess? I believe that 16 digits means extended precision, so... SDR F0,F0 LE F0,A SDR F2,F2 SDR F4,F4 LE F4,B MXDR F0,F4 STD F0,C is ...

windows security
AWESOME. it wards of thousands and thousands of attackes daily and does a good job. if that pos osx got that many attacks daily....it would vanish from the face of the earth. On 2014-11-16 00:36:31 +0000, awoolmeyer@gmail.com said: > AWESOME. it wards of thousands and thousands of attackes daily and > does a good job. if that pos osx got that many attacks daily....it > would vanish from the face of the earth. And just how do you know how many "attackes" [sic] Mac OS X wards "of" [sic] daily, Michael? On Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:38:57 PM UTC...

Jolly Time and Attendance Software 3.1
Lobby Track Time and Attendance Software is a new secure tracking, access control, and visitor management software system. This innovative new technology allows organizations to track employees and equipment with detailed activity logs by individual or groups, provides access control in conjunction with entry systems and provides visitor management functionality, including data entry, badge design, and badge printing. Unique to this system is the capability to directly interface with the customers existing database in real-time. The Lobby Track Time and Attendance Software Advantage ...

mount USB flash keychain on 5.1?
How do we mount a USB flash "keychain" drive on FreeBSD 5.1? When plugged into the USB hub it is properly recognized however, it seems no corresponding device node is created in the /dev directory. ...

Question (CCNA practice exams semestre 1...4)
I am a student in cisco.netacad.net (CCNA course). There are four semesters in that course. Can you help me to find practice Labs? I now do not have access to them. I would like to download practice exams and try them locally on my computer. Can anybody help me ? ...

[ANN] slave-1.1.0
SYNOPSIS the Slave class forks a process and starts a drb server in the child using any object as the server. the process is detached so it is not required (nor possible) to wait on the child pid. a Heartbeat is set up between the parent and child processes so that the child will exit of the parent exits for any reason - preventing orphaned slaves from running indefinitely. the purpose of Slaves is to be able to easily set up a collection of objects communicating via drb protocols instead of having to use IPC. typical usage: slave = Slave::new{ AnyObject.ne...

Expect-like tool for Windows GUI?
Pardon if I am too far off topic but thought users of Expect may have some ideas. I am looking for a tool to automate setting up Windows servers. A lot of the file copying, etc can be performed in scripts. However a good bit of it is things like setting up new users, installing new software such as WinMerge, eBlvd, Ethereal, Apache, and mySQL with all of the user schemata, mySQL Amininstrator and Browser, etc. I had heard of Expect but now see that I need something else. Sometimes we setup 4 machines a week and each takes several hours, especially if there has been a typo or some other er...

ANN: OpenSIMpad 0.8.1 released
The OpenSIMpad team is proud to announce the immediate availability of our alternative Operating System for the SIEMENS SIMpad webpad family. Release notes: ######################################### # # OpenSIMpad 0.8.1 # Based on OpenEmbedded 3.3.4 and # Opie 1.0.1.1-snapshot (=1.0.2-pre1) # ######################################### Why should I use OpenSIMpad? OpenSIMpad has a number of different advantages and even some disadvantages compared to the original WindowsCE. Hopefully this will help you make an informed decision about which is right for you and give you a good ...

Freebie
1800 free courses from MIT <http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm> MIT Digitizes Its Courses, Throws Them Online, and Asks 'What Now?' Network World (11/29/07) Cox, John MIT recently announced the completion of its OpenCourseWare project, a pioneering effort launched in 2002 to digitize classroom material for all of MIT's 1,800 academic courses. The course material is available for free online for anyone to use. At the completion celebration on the MIT campus in Cambridge, Mass., university President Susan Hockfield announced a new portal for OCW,...

ruby 1.8.6 errors
I am trying to compile ruby 1.8.6 on AIX 5.3 TL 6 and gmake gives the following error gmake: *** No rule to make target `flock/usr/WebSphere/AppServer.o', needed by `libruby-static.a'. Stop. Itreied using both gcc and vac both gave the same errors. Your help is appreciated in advance Hi, Isn't it AIX5.3 TL5 SP6? What parameters did you use for configure? I was able to compile ruby 1.8.6 without any parameters when using both gcc and vac. I would like to see the output of `set` as well to check what kind of environment values are declared. 2007/4/17, Mehdi <unixadminm@gmail...

marianom@o2.pl
marianom@o2.pl ...

FAQ 4.40 What is the difference between $array[1] and @array[1]? #2 #2 554255
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.40: What is the difference between $array[1] and @array[1]? The former is a scalar value; the latter an array slice, making it a list with one (scalar) value. You should use $ when you want a scalar value (mos...

SN#11827 Sun[TM] ONE Identity Synchronization for Windows 1.0
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 70 Issue 3 2003-12-15 Article 11827 from section "Sun ONE" For the Synchronization of Identity Attributes, Including Passwords Sun is introducing a new software solution designed to enable synchronization of identity attributes, including passwords between Windows NT/Windows 2000 Active Directory and Sun[TM] ONE Directory Server. The Sun[TM] ONE Identity Synchronization for Windows 1.0 is intended for all vertical and horizontal markets, and offers support for up to 250,000 users. (These S...

GOLD AND PL
hello, dear friend! I have a piece of exciting news to share with you! I have found a website which has very cheap gold there, and the website provide reliable and efficient service, you can go there to have a try!!!!!!!! The website is http://egamegold.com/ Come on!!!!! Network games: US WOW , Maple Story EURO WOW, Matrix Online FFXI , EVE Online DAoC ; Rose online Guild Wars ; Rune scape 2 EQ2 Ragnarok Online Dungeons and Dragons , star Wars Galaxies , Silk Road online and so on or Power Leveling. Msn:sales@egamegold.com http://egamegold.com/ ...

ANN: M2Crypto 0.20.1
M2Crypto is the most complete Python wrapper for OpenSSL featuring RSA, DSA, DH, HMACs, message digests, symmetric ciphers (including AES); SSL functionality to implement clients and servers; HTTPS extensions to Python's httplib, urllib, and xmlrpclib; unforgeable HMAC'ing AuthCookies for web session management; FTP/TLS client and server; S/MIME; ZServerSSL: A HTTPS server for Zope and ZSmime: An S/MIME messenger for Zope. Smartcards supported with the Engine interface. This is the 0.20.1 release. Download links and bug filing instructions on the homepage at http://chandlerproject.org...

Making HTML 4.1 Also Comply with XHTML 1.1
Is there a list of the changes you need to make to HTML 4.1 cose to make it dual compliant, with XHTML 1.1 also? Ben Sharvy wrote: >Is there a list of the changes you need to make to HTML 4.1 cose to >make it dual compliant, with XHTML 1.1 also? Not possible. Headless -- Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm Headless <me@privacy.net> wrote: >>Is there a list of the changes you need to make to HTML 4.1 cose to >>make it dual compliant, with XHTML 1.1 also? > > Not possible. Apparently not, since there i...

pl/sql: test if record is empty
oracle 10G I apparently overlooked it in the manuals - so please be patient ... How can I test if a record is empty? I expected it to work like this: declare o_rec mytab%ROWTYPE; begin if o_rec.empty then dbms_output.put_line('empty'); end if; end; .... but it does not. Thanks, stephan On May 27, 5:45=A0am, steph <stepha...@yahoo.de> wrote: > oracle 10G > > I apparently overlooked it in the manuals - so please be patient ... > > How can I test if a record is empty? > > I expected it to work like this: > > declare > =A0 o_rec mytab%RO...

ANN: iTube! version 1.3 for OS X
East Bay Technologies announces the release of iTube! version 1.3 for OS X 10.2 and 10.3 iTube! is the largest resource available for viewing Internet Television, with over 1500 channels of Internet TV, Live Video Channels and Webcams, plus an Internet Video Search, with over 2 million videos. You can watch uncensored news, music videos, education and entertainment channels from around the world. iTube! is ideal for people interested in alternative programming, learning languages, foreign cultures, entertainment or news. Product information & trial : http://www.eastbaytech.c...

Merg Numbers - 1+1=11
Hello, 1+1 = 2 How can i merg two numbers so it would be... 1+1 = 11 ? -Thank-You- "name" <e@m.a> wrote in message news:goT3b.1841$Om1.1829@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hello, > > 1+1 = 2 > How can i merg two numbers so it would be... > 1+1 = 11 Something like: Str11 := '1' + '1' ; Or: Str11 := IntToStr(1) + IntToStr(1); ? -- Michael Brown www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open "name" <e@m.a> wrote in message news...

Roundup Issue Tracker release 1.4.4 (SECURITY FIX)
I'm proud to release version 1.4.4 of Roundup. 1.4.4 is a security fix release. All installations of Roundup are strongly encouraged to update. If you're upgrading from an older version of Roundup you *must* follow the "Software Upgrade" guidelines given in the maintenance documentation. Roundup requires python 2.3 or later for correct operation. To give Roundup a try, just download (see below), unpack and run:: roundup-demo Release info and download page: http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/roundup Source and documentation is available at the web...

[News] The War Against Preinstalled Windows Continues in Europe (and It's Being Won)
Italian Judge Tells HP To Refund Pre-Installed XP ,----[ Quote ] | The court ruled in favor of the user (Google translation from the Italian), | who received back €90 for XP and €50 for Works. `---- http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/27/1952257&from=rss It's the start of a beautiful trend. Choice. Recent: Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund ,----[ Quote ] | Initially, Acer had offered only €30 if the man returned elements of the | install at his own expense. | | [..] | | According to this web site, not only did Antoine Gutzwiller get a | full refund on ...