PL/1 for windows.

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
arm & legs for it.

Any Ideas??

Hanz

0
Reply hschmidt99 (27) 8/20/2007 6:52:56 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
> compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
> arm & legs for it.
>
> Any Ideas??

Have you looked on the IBM site?

0
Reply robin_v (2737) 8/25/2007 12:41:27 PM

IBM does not have PL/1 for windows. They had VisualAge PL/I for Windows,
but have stop support it.

Does anyone out there have it??

Thanx
Hanz

robin wrote:
> "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
>>compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
>>arm & legs for it.
>>
>>Any Ideas??
>

> Have you looked on the IBM site?

0
Reply hschmidt99 (27) 9/25/2007 5:30:04 PM

Hanz Schmidt wrote in message <46F9459C.1030002@hotmail.com>...

>IBM does not have PL/1 for windows. They had VisualAge PL/I for Windows,
>but have stop support it.

The VA compiler was replaced with an updated one called Websphere PL/I,
which is available from IBM

The demo VA PLI compiler is still available.
As I said, have you looked on the IBM site?

>Thanx
>Hanz
>

>robin wrote:
>> "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've been using pl/1 since 1967.  The beta release. I'm trying to get a
>>>compiler for WINXP to try it out(again).  But I don't want to pay and
>>>arm & legs for it.
>>>
>>>Any Ideas??
>>

>> Have you looked on the IBM site?

0
Reply robin_v (2737) 9/28/2007 2:01:41 AM

They used to have a PL/1 for Windows and OS/2.  It cost about $120.   I
was able to trade a litre of Canadian Maple Syrup for a copy from an
gentleman from the UK who now had the Visual Age Product.  It included
the compiler, linker and a language sensitive editor as well as the
Language Reference Manual, Programmers Guide, and Messages and Codes.
If it just included an assembler my life would be complete.

I have found it to be of great utility.  Don't bother asking IBM about
it, I used personal contacts within IBM to try and get a copy of it
before the copy from England became available.  If there is any regret
it is the fact that the PLISORT routines are not available but because
all of my files had unique keys I was able to use VSAM files.  1,700
lines of C became 1,100 lines of PL/1 and the resulting program had
increased functionality.

My advice is to try and locate a copy of this product, it is on a single
CD.  IF IBM isn't even going to admit to the existence of this product
they should make public domain and allow some group(s) to distribute it.

Paul

--
Paul S. Hinman - VE6LDS
long West 113 deg 27 min 20 sec

0
Reply paul.hinman (18) 10/13/2007 8:51:25 PM

Paul Hinman wrote:
> They used to have a PL/1 for Windows and OS/2.  It cost about $120.   I

A few years ago I bought the Personal PL/I product for $119 USD via
download from the IBM web site.  It was designed for Windows NT but
could be installed on Windows XP with a few tweaks.  It works really
well for my purposes.

A few months later it disappeared from their web site.  About 1.5 years
ago I got in touch with IBM (via email or "Contact Us" from their web
site or somehow) and they called me back.  They no longer sell that
product nor do they have any plans to do so.

This was not a surprise.  Their installation procedure was poorly (and
incorrectly) documented and it didn't work -- at least on XP -- without
subsequent (undocumented) modification of the user environment.  I
interpreted their failure to modify it for XP and their poor
installation procedure documentation (and, of course, their removal of
the product from their web site) as an indication they don't plan to
continue providing a Personal PL/I product.

I've worked with other inexpensive IBM software products before; the
documentation and support were substandard -- bordering on completely
unusable.  IBM's overall reputation for quality customer service
(well-earned -- at least in the past) suggests they put most of their
effort into products with higher per-unit profit margins.  This, of
course, excludes them from the high-volume, lower profit margin market.
  I suspect this is why, although they were the dominant force in the
early years of the PC market, they have since had to give up that
product line to Lenovo.  They should learn a few things about marketing
from Microsoft.

> IF IBM isn't even going to admit to the existence of this product they should make public domain and allow some group(s) to distribute it.

I concur, but I doubt IBM agrees.  I'd prefer they just modify it so it
works on current OS versions and fix the installation procedures and
documentation -- and then sell it for the old $119 USD price (or enough
for them to make a reasonable profit), perhaps with the same caveats
Microsoft uses for products sold for academic use or through their
Company Store.  Maybe they could just license some other vendor to sell
it for them and pay royalties so IBM wouldn't have the administrative
overhead.  But I don't thing the IBM marketing department would pay much
attention to my opinions.

Bob Lidral
l i d r a l  at  a l u m  dot  m i t  dot  e d u
0
Reply l1dralspamba1t (138) 10/13/2007 10:33:57 PM

On Oct 14, 2:33 am, Bob Lidral <l1dralspamb...@comcast.net> wrote:
It was designed for Windows NT but
could be installed on Windows XP with a few tweaks.

Bob, could you give us theese tweaks? As I know, it should install
well under XP, but not XP SP2...

0
Reply mikezmn (64) 10/14/2007 8:11:04 AM

MZN wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2:33 am, Bob Lidral <l1dralspamb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It was designed for Windows NT but
> could be installed on Windows XP with a few tweaks.
>
> Bob, could you give us theese tweaks? As I know, it should install
> well under XP, but not XP SP2...

Sure.  I'm not sure how well it might install under SP2; I was running
XP SP1 when I installed it and I installed SP2 later.  BTW, after
purchasing it and asking how to install it, IBM sent email claiming it
wasn't supported on XP and offering to let me return it for a refund --
glad I decided not to return it.

0.  First, set a restore point before proceeding -- just for fun.  :-)
If, for some reason, the installation fails, use it.  This can save you
a lot of time, trouble, and effort.

1.  The name of the installation file is "CG6AFNA.exe" and not
"41L2880.exe" (as described in the original download documentation).

2.  It needs to be installed from the Administrator account -- not just
any old account with administrator privileges.  I'm not sure why that is
-- I thought an account with administrator privileges could do anything
the Administrator account could, but apparently not.

3.  In order to link programs, you need to add "C:\IBMPLIW\lib\" to your
LIB environment variable:
     set LIB=%LIB%;C:\IBMPLIW\lib\
or add it to your LIB environment variable via "My Computer" Properties
or use the "LIBS" option.

4.  You may also find it useful to add "C:\IBMPLIW\bin" to your Path
environment variable.

5.  Documentation is located in a ZIP file at:
     ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/personal/
For some reason, IBM forgot to include it in the installation package
(sigh).

I think that's everything.  Much credit for this belongs to Adam
Godlewski: most of this information came from him, the rest from trial
and error.

Good luck.

Bob Lidral
l i d r a l  at  a l u m  dot  m i t  dot  e d u

0
Reply l1dralspamba1t (138) 10/15/2007 5:28:28 AM
comp.lang.pl1 1671 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

PL/1 for Windows
Hi Hanz, Our PL/1 product only runs on Redhat and SUSE. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Justin Cannell Account Executive Micro Focus 360 828 5324 312 401 2779 mobile 503 614 1862 fax hschmidt99@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi Hanz, > > > > Our PL/1 product only runs on Redhat and SUSE. Let me know if you have > any other questions. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Justin Cannell > Account Executive > Micro Focus > Justin -- nice to see Microfocus represented here! <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in mes...

Personal PL/1 for Windows
Sorry if this question has come up before - I don't visit this NG very often. I was hoping to buy another license for IBM's Personal PL/1 for Windows, but it seems IBM no longer sell it. One of their resellers has had some difficulty in locating it. Does anyone know what has become of this compiler and what IBM's long term plans are for PL/1 on the desktop? TIA, Richard Am I correct that you are NOT looking for "VisualAge PL/I Enterprise" that you can purchase online from: http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=en_US&catalogId=-84...

PL/1 Messages and Codes (OS/2 and Windows)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040203000000070405080900 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Does anyone have access to machine readable copy of this manual or do they know where to get a paper copy. -- Paul S. Hinman - VE6LDS long West 113 deg 27 min 20 sec lat North 53 deg 27 min 3 sec Maidenhead Locator DO33gk --------------040203000000070405080900 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> &...

ssh from windows xp (putty with kerberos) using NetIDMgr 1.1.8.0 (Kerberos for windows 3.1)
Has anyone got a version of putty to work with the Kerberos for Windows release 3.1? I'm running win xp and am able to get my kerberos 5 tokens fine (from CSAIL.MIT.EDU) in NetIDMgr, but I've tried various supposedly kerberos-aware versions of putty with no luck. Thanks. -- Greg -- Greg Sullivan gregs@csail.mit.edu (617)417-4746 (cell) ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

Eudora 5.1.1.1 and Windows ME
Anyone is able to copy and paste on the right side of the Address Book (Nickname, Name, First Name, Last Name, e-mail address using WindowsME? MVP <wefp.bh@terra.com.br> wrote: > Anyone is able to copy and paste on the right side of the Address Book > (Nickname, Name, First Name, Last Name, e-mail address using > WindowsME? Yes, most people are able to do that. Are you having a problem with it? If you are, do you have your address book docked? If not, do you have it floating in the main window? (That means it acts like a mailbox window and appears inside the main...

Attach and PL/1 using Enterprise PL/1 Compiler V 3.3
Hallo, does anybody have a simple PL/1 sample Program which does subtasking using ATTACH-statement or using POSIX-calls? If you have, please send it to me. Thanks Gottfried ...

PL/1 Version 1.1 and z/OS support
Hi guys, Can anyone tell me please if z/OS version 1.7 still supports PL/1 ver 1.1? Thanks, Ron. ronsho.shoshani@gmail.com wrote: > Hi guys, > > Can anyone tell me please if z/OS version 1.7 still supports PL/1 ver > 1.1? > I would expect it would probably *run*, baring LE incompatibalities (score one for static libraries). Hasn't EOS been announced for 1.1? Most of the incompatibilities with Enterprise PL/I have now been corrected. ronsho.shoshani@gmail.com wrote: > Hi guys, > > Can anyone tell me please if z/OS version 1.7 still supports PL/1 ver &g...

Gaim 1.1.1 for Windows
Hi there! I'm a frequent user of the multi-messenger client Gaim instead of MSN Messenger by the simple reason that it's easy to use, has some pretty good functions and smart plug-ins. The only real problem with it is that my account settings disappears every time I start the program. I've been trying to solve the problem by reading the FAQ on the Gaim homepage (http://gaim.sourceforge.net), which referred to '$drive\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\.gaim'. No problems; all settings was there, in a file named 'accounts.xml'. Then, I tried to close the p...

Installing json-1.1.1 gem on windows xp
Hi all, I was trying to install the json extension gem... but says 'Error failed to create local extension/nmake ....' When I went through the conf file it showed it requires both mkmf (meant for extensions) and rbconfig... Now the question where do I get these files and how do I install them on my win-xp os... Thanks in advance... Sumanth. -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Sumanth Ambati wrote: > I was trying to install the json extension gem... but says 'Error > failed to create local extension/nmake ....' > When I went through the conf file it sh...

Reports on Linux with mono 1.1.1 and Windows .NET
What do you suggest? Thanks. ...

ARIA For Windows 1.1
Finally entertainment software anyone can use! Aria's simple interface lets you get into the mix right away, you don't need to pour over a complicated user's manual. it's Simple, Social, Fun and Entertaining. Aria is the ultimate media player for MAC and Windows PC's. Aria is for people who want to do more with their media. Aria features three modes: The DJ (disc jockey) MODE makes it easy to DJ and mix music. The DJ MODE is also a VJ (video jockey) MODE that enables Aria users to mix music videos too. The Aria SCRATCH MODE makes it super easy for anyone to SCRATCH ...

ARIA For Windows 1.1
Finally entertainment software anyone can use! Aria's simple interface lets you get into the mix right away, you don't need to pour over a complicated user's manual. it's Simple, Social, Fun and Entertaining. Aria is the ultimate media player for MAC and Windows PC's. Aria is for people who want to do more with their media. Aria features three modes: The DJ (disc jockey) MODE makes it easy to DJ and mix music. The DJ MODE is also a VJ (video jockey) MODE that enables Aria users to mix music videos too. The Aria SCRATCH MODE makes it super easy for anyone to SCRATCH ...

SAS 9.3 re-install error on Windows 8.1 after a Windows 8.1 RESET
Howdy, i am having a problem getting SAS 9.3 re-installed on a Sony Tap 20 which e= xperience catastrophic OS (Win8.1 64-bit) failure resulting in Windows "RES= ET" - basically a complete wipe of OS and all installed software, data=3Dsa= fe. Before the crash, SAS fully operational (32-bit?? 64-bit?? - don't rec= all) on same set-up. I have the installation disks (Disks 1 - 5) properly copied to the SAS Soft= ware Depot in folders SAS SOFTWARE DISK 1 thru SAS SOFTWARE DISK 5; SETUP.E= XE files in the root of SAS Software Depot.=20 <a href=3D"http://s1236.ph...

Using Eudora 6.0.1.1 in Windows 2000/XP with Application Data Redirected to Windows 2003 Server
Does anybody have any experience with using Eudora 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines? Per the installation guide we are using Eudora with user data stored in the Application Data folder for the user. Problems have arisen as we've migrated to Windows 2003 Server and Active Directory. Users now have roaming profiles (stored on the server) and redirected folders (My Documents and Application Data) also stored on the server. Some users also are using laptops with 'Offline Files' turned on. The problems we are seeing are... - OWNER.LOK files are not getting deleted when Eudor...

dockable window and toolbar in wxWidget 2.6.1 [wx 2.6.1, Windows 2000, VC++ 6.0]
--Next_1126175894---0-202.54.124.216-6998 Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline =A0Hello,=0AI just want to have a case of wxWidgets in my organisation =0A= but could not found support for dockable window and toolbar in=0AWindows pl= atform is there any support for this? =0AIf not how we can have it? =0AIt i= s important as our client wants it.=0A=0A=0A Thanks and regards,=0AHemant s= harma=0A=0A=0A --Next_1126175894---0-202.54.124.216-6998 Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfe...

[News] Wine Reaches 1.1.1, GNU/Linux Runs in Windows

RE: dockable window and toolbar in wxWidget 2.6.1 [wx 2.6.1, Windows 2000, VC++ 6.0]
------_=_NextPart_001_01C5B460.FEBD1C96 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable take a look at wxDockit (http://sf.net, make a search) =20 we also has such problem, but wxDockit seems to be good don't use FL, is not anymore supported =20 regards, Eugene ________________________________ From: hemant kumar [mailto:sharma_hk@rediffmail.com]=20 Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:38 To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org Subject: dockable window and toolbar in wxWidget 2.6.1 [wx 2.6.1, Windows 2000, VC++ 6.0]=...

lib/ruby/1.8/e2mmap.rb:51: Use Ruby 1.1 (RuntimeError)
Hi I am trying to start up my application on Windows Vista with Ruby 1.8.6 and the Oniguruma-Patch applied. It results in this error: lib/ruby/1.8/e2mmap.rb:51: Use Ruby 1.1 (RuntimeError) the full error message is: http://pastebin.com/U1T3SFK7 The app runs just fine on Linux with Ruby 1.8.6. Any hints are highly appreciated. Best Zeno -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. It seems that lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/gd2-1.1.1/lib/gd2/canvas.rb:23 requires lib/ruby/1.8/matrix.rb:23 and that calls require "e2mmap.rb" and that will throw th...

S/MIME extension 1.1.3.1 [Windows 7 adjustments] released
I've just released version 1.1.3.1 of my S/MIME extension for Pegasus Mail using the built-in Crypto-API of Windows: This Version provides = mainly adjustments for using it on Windows 7 systems, the most important one = fixing the display and printing of formatted text which don't depend on modules outside of Pegasus Mail anymore. The downloads are available at: <http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_m= ail/default.aspx> Please report back to the forum with complaints and suggestions. Michael --=20 PGP Key ID (RSA 204...

RubyGems 1.0.1 in windows
i'm not sure where to report this. in windows XP, using the one-click installer to install either ruby 1.8.6-25 or 1.8.6-26 when you run gem update --system Time::parse doesn't exist anymore, it works fine with rubygems 0.9.2 and 0.9.5 lance.sanchez@gmail.com wrote: > i'm not sure where to report this. > > in windows XP, using the one-click installer to install either ruby > 1.8.6-25 or 1.8.6-26 > when you run gem update --system > > Time::parse doesn't exist anymore, it works fine with rubygems 0.9.2 > and 0.9.5 > Time::parse lives in the &qu...

Ruby 1.9.1 on windows
Hi all, How can I install Ruby 1.9.1 on Windows? The one click installer is still at version 1.8.6. Thanks Ian Ian Hobson wrote: > Hi all, > > How can I install Ruby 1.9.1 on Windows? http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ might work. -=r -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Roger Pack wrote: > Ian Hobson wrote: > >> Hi all, >> >> How can I install Ruby 1.9.1 on Windows? >> > > http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ might work. > -=r > Thanks Roger. That D/L contains no instructions, so I unpacked it. and added the "...

PL/1, CICS, DL/1
and these are a few of my favorite things. Chuck is heaps of VSAM, a mainframe worth many millions and I produced order entry, inventory control, data mining, insurance, banking systems and much more. Put out to grass and waiting for the grim reaper. PS. still got the listing of a CICS simulator for batch testing some file read proc; Also is there a GNU DL/1 database engine out there? -- **************************************************** * eddie bertoni (ex. mafia drinking team) * email: freeserve * * ///// * (o o) * -oOO--(_)--OOo- * Kilroy was 'ere. *************...

[OT]Problem with Windows 1.1
Maybe off-topic, but check this one out, dudes: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.conspiracy.microsoft/browse_thread/thread/00f72ee54a2f111b/be843610ef99b54d#be843610ef99b54d Nikos Chantziaras wrote: > Maybe off-topic, but check this one out, dudes: > > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.conspiracy.microsoft/browse_thread/thread/00f72ee54a2f111b/be843610ef99b54d#be843610ef99b54d > maybe they need to bump the ram up to 512K ??? hey speaking of OT stuff... here is my laptop that can be run for 6 months continuously... without a battery charge: www.plazaearth.com/ph...

QuickVoice for Windows 2.1.1
While most computers come equipped with good microphones chances are you have not found much use for yours. QuickVoice changes that by giving you new and exciting voice recording capabilities including: a digital voice recorder, voice emailer, voice stickies creator, and digital stereo recorder. You get several great functions in one low cost software solution! QuickVoice's elegantly designed interfaces facilitate one-click operation for most features such as: recording, playback, voice emaiing and voice stickies creation. Recording is seamless and easy, simply click and speak! ...