Upgrading to currently supported IBM PL/I for Windows (was: How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco

David,
  The following (repost) includes your note from the end of August where you
stated,

    "no upgrade pricing for existing Visual Age PL/I customers), ..."

and my reply showing the one of the part numbers and where it is documented.

     ***

Dare you to admit that you were WRONG when you stated (today),

"That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt aware
of) since this is the first post I have raised this issue,  (must be someone
else who really gives a damn)."

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
"William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:...
> ain't no such thing as
>   "a Z/OS PL/I for Windows pkg"
>
> So you are correct (for a change) there isn't anyone who has upgraded to it.
>
> For any other question (to correct your publicly stated misconceptions on how
> the product works), check out the manual for yourself at:
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27007348
>
> As far as IBM selling copies of its "Websphere Developer for z/OS" product,
> there have certainly been lots of sales (as reported at IBM user groups) as
> well as the fact that many copies are "given away" with other IBM product
> purchases.
>
> As far as upgrade pricing and ordering, check out the announcement at:
>
> http://www-306.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&appname=Demonstration&htmlfid=897/ENUS205-304#@2h@79@
>
> and look for,
>
> "To WS Developer Authorized User                          D553DLL
> from VA COBOL User or VA PL/I
> User TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO"
>
> (there are some other upgrade paths as well).
>
>   ***
>
> So, I repeat my original question,
>   Do you ever check out your facts before you post your misconceptions?
>

> --
> Bill Klein
> wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com
> "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you actually read the manuals before making any of your (usually odd)
>>> statements.
>>>
>>> Check out page 122 of the current PL/I for Windows Programming Guide, the
>>> section
>>>
>>>   "Specifying executable output type "
>>>
>>> that starts,
>>>
>>> "You can use the linker to produce executable modules (.EXE) and dynamic
>>> link libraries (.DLL). The linker produces .EXE files by default. "
>>>
>>> (from manual GC26-9177-04)
>>>

>> Whats the date of this guide and does it identify its for Z/OS PL/I for
>> Windows?
>>
>> Since its likely IBM has yet to sell ANYONE a Z/OS PL/I for Windows pkg at
>> twice the cost
>> of Visual Age's  OUTRAGEOUS $3000,  (no upgrade pricing for existing Visual
>> Age PL/I customers),
>> you may have just quoted  a outdated description of how it use to work..
>>
>> Its for sure NO-ONE here has "upgraded" to Z/OS PL/I for Windows
>> and probably no-one ever will before IBM completes its planned final
>> denouement of PL/I in
>> a couple of years..

0
wmklein (2605)
9/16/2006 5:56:57 PM
comp.lang.pl1 1741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

> David,
>  The following (repost) includes your note from the end of August where
> you stated,
>
>    "no upgrade pricing for existing Visual Age PL/I customers), ..."
>
> and my reply showing the one of the part numbers and where it is
> documented.
>
>     ***
>
> Dare you to admit that you were WRONG when you stated (today),
>
> "That couldnt have been the reason you posted that info (which I wasnt
> aware of) since this is the first post I have raised this issue,  (must be
> someone else who really gives a damn)."

I'm wrong about not posting anything previous, but I am right that I wasnt
aware
of  your info.
Too bad you and everyone chooses to ignore the BIG offender of the truth
in this newsgroup..

0
dave_frank (2243)

How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco
Below is an excerpt from Mark Halpern's http://www.rules-of-the-game.com/com003-memoir2.htm <<< One good thing was accomplished for IBM, too, during that strange becalmed period: I helped IBM recover from the PL/I fiasco. The PL/I project had started during my first tour with the company, in New York, as a way of avoiding the dreaded "proliferation of programming languages." The cost of developing and maintaining programming languages had impressed IBM management deeply, and they were willing listeners to the argument that the way to minimize this cost was to develop one language that would support virtually all important users, replacing Fortran, Cobol, and even, to a great extent, assembler language. During my years with LMSC, IBM's PL/I effort had proceeded, and had produced a language that did indeed include just about every feature that Fortran and Cobol offered, as well as a good deal else. The guiding principle behind its design seemed to be the same as that of the original Fortran compiler "Oh, and another thing..." The difference was that in the case of Fortran, for all practical purposes the first real compiler, dependence on that principle was quite understandable; its designers were inventing computer science as they went, and doing it brilliantly. The PL/I designers had no such excuse; they had the examples of Fortran, Cobol, and a dozen other languages before them, and they had the benefit, if they had ...

re: IBM continues PL/I support (was: IBM continues ...)
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:48:40 GMT > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. .. That doesn't mean anything. There are other languages available on AIX. It's just a specific announcement about those compilers. .. > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. .. We know you're lying, and you know you're lying. .. Peter Elderon wrote to you several months ago saying that the Windows product is supported. .. It's a current and on-going support in parallel with the z/os Enterprise compiler. .. The Enterprise compiler was developed from the workstation (Windows compiler), and is compatible with it. This is to enable the development on the PC of programs for z/os, and vice versa. The Windows VisualAge product can emulate the z/os machine, and can operate in Windows (PC) mode, thus allowing the PC product to operate directly on z/os data and to generate such data for use on z/os when required. .. > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I You know that you are lying. We know it too. .. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ .. No-one...

Does IBM now support building PL/I application for Windows?
I found that PL/I is deprecated in Rational Developer for System =D1 (both Java and EGL). ...

re: IBM PL/I is supported
Subject: Re: PL/I examples please From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:03:45 GMT > "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message > news:smBub.16820$aT.10328@news-server.bigpond.net.au... >> From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida >> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:50:47 GMT >> >> > and its for sure you FAKE PL/I >> > enthusiasts havent purchased the only other option the $3000 >> > IBM Visual Age PL/I for Windows (now dropped from IBM's >> > upgrading).. >> . >> Again you lie. You lie because it has not been dropped. You lie about the price. >> The full product (which has full z/OS support as well as >> Windows support) can be purchased for as little as $475 >> (upgrade). .. > A upgrade is NOT the full product, this has been explained to you > before by others here, but you fail to grasp the distinction. .. READ WHAT I WROTE. It says "FULL PRODUCT". FULL PRODUCT. FULL PRODUCT. Do you know what that means? It means FULL PRODUCT. "robin" <ro|bin_v@bigpond.mapson.com> wrote in message news:c6Vub.18346$aT.14299@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > You lie about the price. > > READ WHAT I WROTE. > It says "FULL PRODUCT". FULL PRODUCT. FULL PRODUCT. > > Do you know what that m...

ISO IBM Personal PL/I Upgrade
I currently have the IBM Personal PL/I compiler, V2.R1.04 purchased directly from IBM so it's legal and was wondering if there's a later version available. I know IBM doesn't sell it any more, or at least I can't find it on the IBM Website. Is there anyone out there who would send me (or sell me) the latest (last?) version of the Personal PL/I software or point me to a place where I could get it? I don't use PL/I enough to warrant a full VisualAge purchase but I'd really like to get the Personal version up to date. TIA Tom Lake On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:16:18 GMT, Tom Lake <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote: > I currently have the IBM Personal PL/I compiler, V2.R1.04 purchased > directly > from IBM so it's legal and was wondering if there's a later version > available. I know IBM doesn't sell it any more, or at least I can't > find it > on the IBM Website. Is there anyone out there who would send me (or sell > me) the latest (last?) version of the Personal PL/I software or point me > to > a place where I could get it? I don't use PL/I enough to warrant a full > VisualAge purchase but I'd really like to get the Personal version up to > date. > > TIA > > Tom Lake > > Here is a better solution Purchase either PWS xxx (where xxx = 433, 500 or 600) or XP1000 Alpha box, you can probably get one for $200 to $600 off ebay, install Hobbyist version of VMS and H...

IBM continues PL/I support withdrawal
I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) were just updated, but not PL/I.. Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats receiving development support. Bottom line: There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ IE. His FAQ touts a $15,000 (you gotta be kidding) Liant PL/I that Liant doesnt include in their product SUPPORT list and havent updated in YEARS. "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YVlub.195580$RP2.96913@twister.tampabay.rr.com>... > I note from IBM announcements that AIX languages (C,C++ and Fortran) > were just updated, but not PL/I.. > > Looks to me like PL/I is now down to just 1 compiler (for Z/OS) thats > receiving development support. > > Bottom line: > There is no Windows PL/I compiler development taking place > now that IBM has apparently ceased updating Visual Age PL/I > You remind me of a brat so impressed with his own defecation that he spreads his excrement everywhere he can. No one else is impresesd. > I suggest PLI'ers shud pay apt attention to my tips how to migrate > their code to Fortran and ignore Robin's FICTITIOUS FAQ That's an extremely stupid suggestion. Migrating code from on...

re: IBM continues PL/I support
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, RoadRunner - Central Florida Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:51:55 GMT "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:vgxub.6097$n56.4610@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... > Alternatively, if one *WANTS* IBM to provide "new" PL/I compilers on other > platforms (than z/OS) one could submit SHARE requirements for such. > > -- > Bill Klein > wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com .. > I see you posted the Z/OS PL/I v3.3 upgrade announcement several weeks > back. > Will you confirm to the reading impaired here that it doesnt > include Windows PL/I in its OS system prerequisite section? .. IBM has been working on z/OS recently, because it is a relatively new product, and naturally there was an upgrade announcement as a result of that work. .. It doesn't imply or suggest anything about their other PL/I compilers, which have been on the market for a number of years, and are now robust complers. They do not need as frequent updates as the new compiler on z/OS. ...

IBM PL/I
Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I can use PL/I under Windows XP? I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product should be active, i.e I can buy it. The currently supported product for Windows targeted development includes both the PL/I and COBOL compilers and lots of other "stuff". Check out "WebSphere Developer for z/Series" at: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ It is NOT cheap, but it is supported (both for mainframe and windows targeted development) and does provide significant tools (possibly more than you might want). -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158246139.780745.195690@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I > can use PL/I under Windows XP? > > I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product > should be active, i.e I can buy it. > "MZN" <MikeZmn@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158246139.780745.195690@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Could somebody tell exact name (and version) of IBM product, where I > can use PL/I under Windows XP? > > I need in compile, link and make executables for Windows. Product > should be active, i.e I can buy it. > The PL/I situation continually deteriorates, IBM cancelled support for its Visual Age PL/I for Window...

IBM PL/I for Windows (FixPack info)
Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for enhancements goes to: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new which says (in part) "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which are appropriate for Windows have been incorporated into this fixpak." -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:inGVe.41193$e95.13136@fe08.news.easynews.com... > Just because the MIS-information is so often posted to this newsgroup, I > thought I would post the URL fro the README file for the latest "fixpack" > for IBM's PL/I for Windows. It is currently available at: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readme.htm > > And should anyone (who seriously cares about this) wonder, the link for > enhancements goes to: > > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli/fixes/v2.1.13/windows/readfp13.htm#FixPak0513new > > which says (in part) > > "All the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler changes and updates which...

IBM continues to suppport and enhance its PL/I support
David Frank wrote in message ... >A couple years ago, Peter Elderon replied to my inquiry about new PL/I >development, altho he states that windows pl/i has been upgraded in tandem >with Z/os. He by omission is saying other than a windows tandem upgrade >(its being updated with fixpacks, which is not a Version upgrade), IBM is >cutting back its upgrades for other platforms, e.g. the last windows pl/i >release was 1998 v2.1 thats SEVEN YEARS ago. I've told you before that the Windows PL/I compiler was ported to z/OS. This was a new compiler for z/OS, and that there have been upgrades of the z/OS product as the inevitable bug showed up, and as well some enhancements were made to that compiler. These enhancements were also done to the Windows compiler. In other words, both compilers are current, up-to-date, and both are being upgraded together. This is to permit the same programs to be run on Windows and on z/OS with identical results. The Windows product also emulates the z/OS environment (that is, it handles both EBCDIC and ASCII, and handles little endian and big-endian formats.) The Windows compiler is up to Release 6 or so. On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:06:49 GMT, robin wrote: > e.g. the last windows pl/i > release was 1998 v2.1 thats SEVEN YEARS ago. Because PLI is stable and doesn't need "fixing" like Fortran? -- Tim C. Tim Challenger wrote in message <1125987422.3a66ad705829cf22dca9dc646182f489@teranews>...

IBM "PL/I for Windows" documentation
to: comp.lang.pl1 As a follow up to previous notes, if anyone in this group is interested in the current IBM documentation for "IBM PL/I for Windows", you can go to the page: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/pli/library/ Under the paragraph that states, "WebSphere Developer for zSeries and WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer contain PL/I for Windows. The following PL/I for Windows documents are available:" you will find the links to the MOST recent documentation under: "WebSphere Developer for zSeries - Language Reference - Programming Guide" There is still some discussions going on, but to the best of my knowledge (and I *COULD* be wrong about this) it is (and will always be) impossible to purchase "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a product "by itself". However, this product (compiler, run-time and development tools for both Windows and zSeries applications) is a "built-in" part of IBM product, "WebsSphere Developer for zSeries" See: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/devzseries/ for additional information on this product. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com Currently, one can buy a shrinkwrap of IBM VisualAge PL/I Enterprise for Windows V2.1. This product and the Cobol equivalent are being withdrawn, with WebSphere Studio Enterprise Developer for zSeries being the replacement delivery channel. "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netco...

IBM
For those in IBM mainframe (z/OS and z/VM - not VSE) shops, check out: _ 906027 Software Service Discontinuance: Selected IBM eServer zSeries and S/390 products -- Some replacements available at http://www.ibm.com/isource/cgi-bin/goto?it=usa_annred&on=906-027 "Release to be withdrawn from service September 30, 2008 Product Product name Version number Enterprise PL/I for z/OS 3.4 5655-H31 ...Features to be withdrawn from service April 30, 2007 PL/I for MVS and VM V1 1.1 5688-235 VM Full Function Offering ... a.. 5655-H31, Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.4 is replaced by 5655-H31, Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.5 announced in Software Announcement 205-219 , dated September 13, 2005. ... a.. 5688-235, PL/I for MVS and VM V1 - VM Full Function Offering Features consists of a PL/I compiler and a debugger. The compiler continues to be available as part of the existing PL/I for MVS and VM V1 - VM Alternate Function Offering. The debugger is replaced by Debug Tool for z/VM V4.1 announced in Software Announcement 204-212 , dated September 21, 2004. " *** Other announced support withdrawal dates include - some releases of z/OS - some releases of COBOL and HLASM - some releases of IMS (and IMS tools) - CICS TS V2.2 - and LOTS more *** Make certain that those in your shop who need to know, do know an...

IBM announces a new (follow-on) version of its PL/I Windows product
For anyone who missed it yesterday, IBM announced their follow-on product for Windows and z/OS development (on Windows). As with the last product, this is a single product that provides: - Windows and z/OS targeted development - COBOL and PL/I (and C/C++ and java) development - CICS, IMS, DB2, etc integration - HLASM integration - etc The announcement is available at (long URL): http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/fcgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS206-320 Unlike the last version, this announcement makes it EXPLICIT that the product fully supports both Windows and z/OS targeted applications. NOTE: I do NOT see an "upgrade from earlier product" pricing option within the announcement, but I believe that for anyone who owns a currently supported product (for which they are paying maintenance) may get further information via the listed phone number. -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:AVDdh.291590$%j2.153850@fe07.news.easynews.com... > For anyone who missed it yesterday, IBM announced their follow-on product > for Windows and z/OS development (on Windows). As with the last product, > this is a single product that provides: > > - Windows and z/OS targeted development > - COBOL and PL/I (and C/C++ and java) development > - CICS, IMS, DB2, etc integration >...

"IBM PL/I for Window" is not a prduct (waiting for Robin's confrimation)
I just thought that I would start a new thread to make certain that it is clear that I am still waiting for Robin to confirm his statement in a post dated Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:03 AM. I stated, "The term (in IBM-speak) for what "PL/I for Windows" is, is that it is a "component" of the RDZ product." To which Robin replied on that date, "That is well-known in this newsgroup, and has been posted often enough here." * * * * Robin, Please confirm that you still think that this is "well-known" AND that you agree. Clearly, if "ABC" is NOT a product; then it cannot be a "stand-alone PRODUCT". As far as "IBM PL/I for Windows" goes, it is not the "stand-alone" that is the error in "IBM PL/I for Windows is not a stand-alone product", it is the fact that it is NOT a product, but a component of a product. As I have already indicated, my (original) use of the term "stand-alone" was misleading (to Robin - even if to no-one else). Therefore, Robin, once and for all, either A) Confirm that "IBM PL/I for Windows" is *NOT* a product (of any type) - but is a component of the RDz product Or B) Provide an IBM PID (Product number) for "IBM PL/I for Windows" as a PRODUCT and not as a component of another product. Once you do this, we can (hopefully) end this ongoing word game. * * * * So my understanding/position is clear, If you pu...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 [5 CDs] for DB2 UDB for OS/390, and for DB2 UDB for Unix, Macromedia ColdFusion MX V6.0.1 for IBM WebSphere Application Server, Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE, other IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2 17/Sep/2004 WEBSPHERE BUSINESS INTEGRATION CONNECT ADVANCED v4.2.2 - IBM CD NR 16 297 DW v1.2 DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition V7.2.10a - IBM Tivoli CD NR 16 110 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition v8.2 16 053 Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 - Peoplesoft [5 CDs] 16 029 Sybase:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-456rm4 Microsoft SQL Server:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-457py4 DB2 UDB for OS/390:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-45auo5 Oracle:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-452o1s Informix:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-453x5w DB2 UDB for Unix, NT:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-454yc...

[...]

IBM PL/I V8 ENHANCEMENTS
Enhancements in V3R8 of IBM PL/I * The new PLISAXC built-in function will allow the user to exploit the z/OS XML System Services parser as if it were a SAX parser. Thanks to the underlying support in this parser, PLISAXC will provide support for name spaces as well as documents that are larger than 2G. * The new ULENGTH, ULENGTH8, ULENGTH16, UPOS, USUBSTR, UVALID and UWIDTH built-in functions will allow the user to query and process strings containing UTF-8 and UTF-16 data. * The new FIXEDBIN, FIXEDDEC, FLOATBIN and FLOATDEC built-in functions will allow the user to specify all the result attributes (other than the mode) in a numeric conversion and thus allow the user to write not only more easily understood code but code that will also perform better (particularly for some DFP conversions). * The new ONLINE built-in function will allow the user to have easy access to another piece of information formerly available only in the runtime error message or dump, namely the line number in the user code at which a condition was raised. * The new REG12 built-in function will return the address of the CAA and will make it easier for users to write code that uses some Language Environment services. * The REPATTERN built-in function will support 3 additional DB2 date-time formats. * The new DIMACROSS attribute will make it easier to exploit DB2 multi-row fetch. * The new SUPPRESS attribute will make ...

PL/I
Just to clarify (I hope) information about PL/I, standards, and IBM. If you check out: http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/results and put "PL/I" in the search option (at the top) You will see the dates of the "most recent" ANSI PL/I Standards. ANSI rules say that any Standard *must* be reaffirmed every 5 years to be a "current" ANSI Standard. Therefore, the - ANSI/INCITS 74-1987(R1993) PL/I General Purpose Subset (formerly ANSI X3.74-1987(R1993)) and - INCITS TR-7-1989 Information Processing Systems Technical Report - Rea...

Question about IBM PL/I implementation
I no longer have access to Either PL/I for MVS and VM or Enterprise PL/I. Would anyone be able to see if the following program compiles without error with them? Thanks a lot. Hopefully I didn't make any typos... lv: proc options (main); do; begin; leave; end; /* begin */ end; /* do */ end lv; -- Pete On 2012-06-13 23:58:13 +0000, Peter Flass said: > I no longer have access to Either PL/I for MVS and VM or Enterprise > PL/I. Would anyone be able to see if the following program compiles > without error with them? Thanks a lot. Hopefully I didn't make any > typos... > > lv: proc options (main); > do; > begin; > leave; > end; /* begin */ > end; /* do */ > end lv; The Enterprise PL/I manual says explicitly "The LEAVE statement and the referenced or implied DO statement must not be in different blocks." -- John W Kennedy "But now is a new thing which is very old-- that the rich make themselves richer and not poorer, which is the true Gospel, for the poor's sake." -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford" On Thursday, 14 June 2012 10:13:41 UTC+10, John W Kennedy wrote: > On 2012-06-13 23:58:13 +0000, Peter Flass said: > > > I no longer have access to Either PL/I for MVS and VM or Enterprise > > PL/I. Would anyone be a...

Options by IBM: IBM ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrades
Announcement Number: 195-075 Hardware Requirements: The 4BM 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade (#1500, 75G6500) is supported on the following IBM platforms: Machine Description Type Model PS/2 8525 K00, K01, L02 8535 040, 043, 050, 055, 14X, 24X 8540 040, 043, 045 8556 043, 045, 055, 059, 14X, 15X, 24X, 25X Machine Description Type Model 8557 045, 049, 055, 059, 05F, 259 8590(1) 0J5, 0J9, 0JD, 0JF, 0K9, 0KD, 0KF, 0GF, 0G5, 0G9, 0HF, 0H5, 0H9, 0L9, 0LF 8595(1) 0J9, 0JD, 0JF, 0KD, 0KF, 0G5, 0G9, 0GF, 0H5, 0H9, 0HF, 0L9, 0LF, 0X6, 0XA, 0XF, 0XG 9553 0B7, 0BB, 1BX, 2BX 9556 DBA, DB6, DEB, DED, DE9, KBA, KB6, QBA, QB6, 0BA, 0B6, 1EX, 2EX 9557 DBA, DBG, DB6, DEB, DED, DEG, DE9, KBA, KBG, KB6, QBA, QB6, 0BA, 0B6, 1BA, 2BA, 6EB, 6EG, 7EB, 7EG 9576 DUA,DU6, KUA, KU6, QUA, QU6, 0UA, 0U6 9577 DNA, DNG, DUA, DUG, KNA, KNG, KUA, KUG QBA, QB6, QNA, QUA, 0NA, 0NF, 0UA, 0UF, 1NA, 1UA, 9585(1) 0X6, 0XA, 0XF, 0XG, 0KG, 0KT, 0NG, 0NT 9590(1) DLA, 0LA, QLA, KLA, 0LF, DLG, KLG 9595(1) 0LF, 0LG PC Server 8640(1) 0N0, 0NJ, 0P0, 0PT, 0Y0, 0YT, 1Y0, 1YT (1) These systems must be upgraded with sets of two 75G6500 upgrades. Limitations * Parity memory cannot coexist with the 4MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade in the same system. * 8590, 8595, 9590, and 9595 models with native ECC (models xMx, * 1Nx, xPx, xQx, xTx, xVx) are not supported. -- Reply to ohland@charter.net ...

<IBM. PL/I and DPF
The following is from Peter Elderon in response to my query about Robin's statement, "For the math functions, float decimal arithmetic > is performed in float binary." What he sent me was, *** I didn't see Robin's post, but would like to clarify what he said. First, our PL/I for Windows compiler currently has no DFP support (and hence I changed the subject line) Second, our Enterprise PL/I compiler on z/OS has DFP support that uses DFP instructions for all arithmetic, load, stores, conversions etc. The LE math library currently offers only a subset of the DFP mathematical functions that PL/I requires (and PL/I needs not just sqrt, but cos, acos, etc). This will change in 2008, and when it does, PL/I will use this set for all its mathematical functions. But until then, for something like ASIN of a DFP, it converts the DFP to float binary, computes ASIN of that and converts the result back to DFP. This is a stopgap measure. - Peter -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com William M. Klein wrote: > The following is from Peter Elderon in response to my query about Robin's > statement, > > "For the math functions, float decimal arithmetic > is performed in float > binary." > > What he sent me was, > > *** > > I didn't see Robin's post, but would like to clarify what he said. > > First, our PL/I for Windows compiler currently has no DFP support (and he...

Web resources about - Upgrading to currently supported IBM PL/I for Windows (was: How IBM recovered from the PL/I fiasco - comp.lang.pl1

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube