"security" font - bitmapped font only workaround?

Hello,

I need to find a "security" font to use as a background watermark on a
document (ie, on a legal document, the customer's name is repeatedly
printed in faint 8 point type angled at 45 degrees all over the page).

I've tried to recreate this by using outline fonts, but the printed
results at 300 and 600 dpi don't look very good.  I've tried to stroke
it using different dashed lines, by turning the glyphs into a path and
filling using a stippled pattern, and by simply changing the gray level
- but the results are only reliable at 1200dpi, and most of our
customers can't print at that resolution (to elaborate - at 600dpi,
sometimes the vertical and horizontal stems of uppercase characters are
missing because they're misaligned with the stipple).

Our old PCL-based system (which is being phased out) uses a hand
crafted 300dpi PCL format 0 bitmapped font, which I could turn into a
type 3 font.  Is this the only solution?  My understanding is that only
type 3 fonts are capable of displaying bitmaps.

Thanks for any advice,
Ghee

0
ghee2ghee (34)
7/25/2005 9:32:31 AM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex) 2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map /mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map 3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf) 4/ try to use it in tex files... Here it goes... => kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9 mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6) kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmss9 ! I can't find file `ec-lmss9'. <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 (and the same goes for all lm classes :s) So my guess is that kpathsea does not find the directory /mydir/latex (that's why i tried to put the full path to lm.map with updmap), is there an easyway to tell kpathsea to add /mydir/latex ...

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

about "++" and "--"

"or" and "and"

"out" and "in out"

Font installation problems "Font shape undefined"
I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in my document, LaTeX says: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. I have all fd files installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under /usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. I have run texhash after putting the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar way. What else could be wrong? Martin Magnusson <martin@xx-blecket-xx.org> writes: >I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux >system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 > >I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in >my document, LaTeX says: > > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined > (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. > >I have all fd files installed under >/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under >/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. this isn't good policy: the texmf-local tree is for additions like this. >I have run texhash after putting >the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar >way. What else could be wrong? last i looked, there wasn't an adobe...

"my" and "our"

Font Book vs. "Those Professional Font Managers"
Here's an example of something that is trivial to do in Apple's Font Book and I'm curious as to how easily the same thing is accomplished in one of the "professional" font managers such as Font Explorer or Suitcase Fusion. When Adobe's Creative Suite 2 is installed a folder is created in Library/Application Support/Fonts that contains some 180 .otf files each of which contains a single face within a font family. Thus a given font family can be represented by one or more .otf files. What is helpful (at least to me) is to place all of the .otf files for a given ...

why "::", not "."

"/a" is not "/a" ?

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Kind regards Bj�rn Studio Smalbro > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Thanks for the info. To me, that is a major limitation. No hurry for that upgrade then! ...

Font Request: "The Batman" (Animated Series) Title Font
Hi, folks... I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening title of "The Batman" animated series. I've found severals different fonts for Batman, from the "Batman & Robin" Animated Series to "Batman Forever" and "Batman Bewins". But I can't find anything on "The Batman". Can you guys help me on this? Regards, MstrControl mstrcontrol@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, folks... > > I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening > title of "The Batman" anim...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

Any good "free "font" Sites?
Does anyone have any good websites that have a well-rounded collection of free fonts? Seems as though any site that has more than 30 fonts for free has over 400000 advertisements popping up. If anyone cares to help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. "David Kopycinski" <hardbeats@rogers.com> wrote: > Does anyone have any good websites that have a well-rounded >collection of free fonts? Seems as though any site that has more >than 30 fonts for free has over 400000 advertisemen...

EPS for AGU journal: "outline" fonts or embed supported fonts?
Hello all, I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some because not all figures share this problem. The solution proposed by AGU is as follows: "All of the resubmitted figures were used in the proofs you have received. However, many of those figures were submitted with fonts that were not outlined and with fonts that AGU do not support. Thus, the figures in question (P04, F04, P07, F08, P08 & F08) have taken on font substitutes. In order to resolve the font substitute issues, please make sure to outline the fonts prior to resubmitting. Doing this will make them vector based objects instead of font files. Another solution would be to use a more common font style such as ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN. Follows is a list of fonts found that we can not support: CMR8 CMR9 CMR12 CMSY9 CMSY10 CMMI9 " I was surprised because I did not realize that some figures (from the same application) have embedded fonts while others are in outline mode. I am further surprised that AGU do not support CM fonts. Critically, I do not know how to "outline" fonts at all. What I have done in producing the final figures is to use the endfloat package to shift figures to separate pages at the end of my compiled PS file, extracted each PS page sep...

Ghostscript 8,64 installation on Windows -- missing "Fonts" and "Resources"?
I installed the Windows version of Ghostscript 8.64 using the installer (from http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/current/) which was the only one I was able to find. However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed with Ghostscript. Did this change recently? Am I expected to install the fonts from other sources? Like, using the "urwfonts-1.41.tar.bz" package that I found somewhere else? The www.ghostscript.com website did not have any obvious link (at least not one which I found) to a fonts download location. I have seen an older Ghostscript (8.54) on a colleague's notebook, where there are non-empty Fonts and Resources directories within the Ghostscript install location. Could I possibly copy those over and use with Ghostscript 8.64? Friday 08 May 2009 > However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not > install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no > "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the > documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed > with Ghostscript. My understanding is that with 8.63, the fonts and resources are now included in a dll. For most...

"Le Petit Prince" or "The Little Prince" Cover Title FONT searching
Does anyone know wich is the FONT of the title in the cover of the famous book "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry? If you don�t know the book you could find an example in: http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/2070408507.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg http://www.space.com/images/h_little_prince_000905_03.jpg Thank you. Ilargizuri wrote: > Does anyone know wich is the FONT of the title in the cover of the > famous book "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry? It. Is. Not. A. Font. (Sigh.) -- Lars Trebing | http://www.ltrebing.de/ | mailto:ltrebing@ltre...

Fonts: "Resolution"
In the past, I used something like this to get my fonts displayed at the right size: [fonts] "Resolution" = "96" This is still what the documentation says to do. However, on my new Wine installation (20041201) I get this error message: "Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the config file" Okay, that seems clear enough -- almost. I can't quite figure out what registry key to create -- which part of this is the key, which is the ...

"Pseudocode Font"
How would I use the font that generates pseudocode? - Kwaj ...

"Simone" Font?
Anyone know what font is used for the S1MONE movie-for the title name? Thanks! Dragon wrote: > Anyone know what font is used for the S1MONE movie-for the title name? > > Thanks! I don't mean to be rude, but there are many of us who aren't familiar with that particular movie and aren't about to go hunting around the net looking for a sample. How about a link? -- My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually lose his marbles? My mistake....apologies. ;) http://www.s1m0ne.com Thanks! DrGn "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstic...

Web resources about - "security" font - bitmapped font only workaround? - comp.lang.postscript