f



3D PDF and 3d PostScript

Having just returned from witnessing student projects in 3D printing at my
university and hearing about their use of 3D PDF, I searched the web for 3d
PostScript, finding, among other tidbits, this little Bill Casselman gem:

<http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/ps3d.inc>.

New to me, so I ask here: an experiences with that among c.L.PS readers?

Cheers, and thanks, -- tlvp
-- 
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
0
tlvp
5/9/2014 3:33:40 AM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
783 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 25

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:33:40 PM UTC-5, tlvp wrote:
> Having just returned from witnessing student projects in 3D printing at my
> university and hearing about their use of 3D PDF, I searched the web for 3d
> PostScript, finding, among other tidbits, this little Bill Casselman gem:
> 
> <http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/ps3d.inc>.
> 
> New to me, so I ask here: an experiences with that among c.L.PS readers?
> 

I've looked at it, and it is fairly comprehensive and
efficiently maintains inverse transformations at each
stage to avoid recalculating.

I ended up not using it and writing my own for the
Steinmetz solid code, mostly because I don't understand
homogenous coordinates. And all the 4x4 matrices just
freaked me out.

You should read his book before trying to use it. As he
explains how to use it and most of the mathematical
pieces that it's built from. First edition is super 
cheap on amazon.
0
luser
5/9/2014 6:38:13 AM
On Thu, 8 May 2014 23:38:13 -0700 (PDT), luser- -droog wrote:

> On Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:33:40 PM UTC-5, tlvp wrote:
>> Having just returned from witnessing student projects in 3D printing at my
>> university and hearing about their use of 3D PDF, I searched the web for 3d
>> PostScript, finding, among other tidbits, this little Bill Casselman gem:
>> 
>> <http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/ps3d.inc>.
>> 
>> New to me, so I ask here: an experiences with that among c.L.PS readers?
>> 
> 
> I've looked at it, and it is fairly comprehensive and
> efficiently maintains inverse transformations at each
> stage to avoid recalculating.
> 
> I ended up not using it and writing my own for the
> Steinmetz solid code, mostly because I don't understand
> homogenous coordinates. And all the 4x4 matrices just
> freaked me out.
> 
> You should read his book before trying to use it. As he
> explains how to use it and most of the mathematical
> pieces that it's built from. First edition is super 
> cheap on amazon.

A question in this context: does Adobe's Distiller turn 3d PostScript into
3D PDF ? Or is there any 3d-ish ps2pdf tool? Cheers, -- tlvp
-- 
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
0
tlvp
5/10/2014 4:43:00 AM
On Friday, May 9, 2014 11:43:00 PM UTC-5, tlvp wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2014 23:38:13 -0700 (PDT), luser- -droog wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> > On Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:33:40 PM UTC-5, tlvp wrote:
> 
> >> Having just returned from witnessing student projects in 3D printing at my
> >> university and hearing about their use of 3D PDF, I searched the web for 3d
> >> PostScript, finding, among other tidbits, this little Bill Casselman gem:
> >> 
> >> <http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/ps3d.inc>.
> >> 
> >> New to me, so I ask here: an experiences with that among c.L.PS readers?
> >> 
> > 
> > I've looked at it, and it is fairly comprehensive and
> > efficiently maintains inverse transformations at each
> > stage to avoid recalculating.
> > 
> > I ended up not using it and writing my own for the
> > Steinmetz solid code, mostly because I don't understand
> > homogenous coordinates. And all the 4x4 matrices just
> > freaked me out.
> > 
> > You should read his book before trying to use it. As he
> > explains how to use it and most of the mathematical
> > pieces that it's built from. First edition is super 
> > cheap on amazon.

The chapters are also available up a few directories from 
the above link.
 
> A question in this context: does Adobe's Distiller turn 3d PostScript into
> 3D PDF ? 

Google led me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D
Which describes a "u3d" compressed file format that can be embedded 
in pdf and rendered with Acrobat Reader. But Casselman's 3D package
is a wholly independent effort, and its postscript output converts
directly into native pdf primitives. A unix analogy would be that
Casselman's ps3d.inc is very much a *user-land* tool, whereas
..u3d support has been patched-in to the Acrobat kernel.

> Or is there any 3d-ish ps2pdf tool? Cheers, -- tlvp

ps2pdf will work fine with ps3d.inc. You'll also need perl, of couse,
but who doesn't?! And ghostscript, of course. And a text editor.
It may also require other include files from the site. I recall not
finding links on the main manual page to some of the files mentioned,
but some simple editing of the URL should fetch whatever you may need.

The .u3d, being a compressed binary format, I'm sure requires more
specialized tools. For this I defer again to Wikipedia.

And, of course, for a simpler implementation of *some* of the capabilities
of Casselman's code, there is my own code, which was written with 
Casselman's manual on one knee and a linear algebra book on the other.
http://code.google.com/p/xpost/downloads/detail?name=3d5c.ps
http://code.google.com/p/xpost/downloads/detail?name=mat.ps

0
luser
5/10/2014 6:02:22 AM
On Fri, 9 May 2014 23:02:22 -0700 (PDT), luser- -droog wrote, ending with:

> And, of course, for a simpler implementation of *some* of the capabilities
> of Casselman's code, there is my own code, which was written with 
> Casselman's manual on one knee and a linear algebra book on the other.
> http://code.google.com/p/xpost/downloads/detail?name=3d5c.ps
> http://code.google.com/p/xpost/downloads/detail?name=mat.ps

Oh, thanks for those URLs, I don't think I was aware of them last time we'd
chatted about the max{(x^2 + y^2), (x^2 + z^2), (y^2 + z^2)} = 1 surface.

Cheers, -- tlvp
-- 
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
0
tlvp
5/11/2014 1:01:01 AM
On Friday, May 9, 2014 7:33:40 AM UTC+4, tlvp wrote:
> Having just returned from witnessing student projects in 3D printing at m=
y=20
> university and hearing about their use of 3D PDF

BTW, how is 3D PDF related to 3D printing?

From the technical point of view, 3D in PDF has nothing in common with Post=
Script or PDF itself.
Adobe just purchased a 3D viewer for an existing format (U3D) and extended =
PDF to embed U3D into PDF, later purchased a viewer for another format (PRC=
) with the development team, going to benefit from selling tools to convert=
 from other 3D formats to 3D PDF and finally scaled down its 3D effort almo=
st to nothing and sold the PRC team to TechSoft 3D.

There are free and open source tools to produce 3D PDF, and several commerc=
ial products are available as demo versions.
0
master
5/18/2014 11:54:46 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

From 3d To 3d
Hi to all, i would like to know if i can create a 3d model of the face of a person without using a 3D scanner. Could i use a normal digital photo camera??? Thanks Yeap you sure can, Its called structure from motion, you need to take several images from different angles, calculate the F matrix for the camera parameters of each camera, detect features common in all images (try harris corners) reproject the features from the images or view frame into some common view frame, triangulate the features (aka vertexes), taking into account reprojection errors etc and your done. Arash Partow ___...

3D visulaisation of 3D matrix for a 3D CA
Hi, I have a 3D matrix, of the form {{{1, 2, 3, 4}, {5, 6, 7, 8}, {9, 10,11,12}, {13,14,15,16}}, {{17, 18, 19, 20}, {21, 22, 23, 24}, {25, 26, 27, 28}, {29, 30, 31, 32}}} I want to plot this matrix, where every number is a unit cube, to give a sort of 3D grid, where the number gives the colour. In reality most numbers would be 0, which would be transparent. I want to do this as I'm developing a 3D partitioned cellular automaton, and have it defined over structures of this sort, and I want to be able to visualise its development. In 2D I've used MatrixP...

postscript and pdf missing base postscript fonts
I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them. My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded in the pdf file. I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline. Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config, I fi...

3D visulaisation of 3D matrix for a 3D CA #2
Hi, I have a 3D matrix, of the form {{{1, 2, 3, 4}, {5, 6, 7, 8}, {9, 10,11,12}, {13,14,15,16}}, {{17, 18, 19, 20}, {21, 22, 23, 24}, {25, 26, 27, 28}, {29, 30, 31, 32}}} I want to plot this matrix, where every number is a unit cube, to give a sort of 3D grid, where the number gives the colour. In reality most numbers would be 0, which would be transparent. I want to do this as I'm developing a 3D partitioned cellular automaton, and have it defined over structures of this sort, and I want to be able to visualise its development. In 2D I've used MatrixP...

3D graphics using postscript?
Hi there Does anyone know a way (preferably a relatively easy one) to creat something like a 'contoured' landscape using postscript. So, fo example, if I knew the x,y boundaries of a 'hill' how might I be abl to illustrate not just those boundaries, but also the height. Thank you for your time, Melani - Melani ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.codecomments.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Melanie <Melanie.1bm5u7@mail.codecomments.com> wrote in news:Melanie.1bm5u7...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

3D Concept mapping / 3D Mind mapping with 3D Topicscape
An information-organization tool that lets you lay out information the way you think, but without the limitations of 2D sheets. Then view in a landscape that shows how the information is related. Can store files, snippets of files (in a container it makes for you automatically) or fileless notes, at every node or topic. Grabs web pages and saves them in a background queue under the topic you select. http://www.topicscape.com/ You can use 3D Topicscape for a free 60-day trial. ...

Save up to 60% On 3d Modelling, 3d Graphics and 3d Animation Services
Get a discount up to 60% on Mechanical 3d Modelling includes mechanical engineering design, Mechanical Design, free 3d models, 3d animation, mechanical products, Mechanical Engineering, mechanical engineering services, mechanical engineering design, Automotive Equipment, Trail Tuff Automotives ,animation at low cost with high accuracy. We assist you in producing 3D products which reduce your cost comparatively as compared to what it would cost to produce them in- house. At the same time, we take away the time-consuming, repetitive aspects of the project and free our clients in-house designer...

Mechanical 3d Animation, 3d modelling and 3d Graphics Services at Lowest Rates
Want to see how your product will look before you produce them? Then come to Mechanical 3D modelling where we will assist you in transforming the perception of your 3D models into reality. Save up to 40% to 60% on your projects!! Mechanical 3d Modelling Offers Various type of 2d design, 2d modelling, 2d and 3d mechanical modelling, mechanical 3d animation and design services, 3d graphics services and mechanical design in india with strong quality and lowest possible rates. We create 3D mechanical models with an added dimension and the impact which prompts curiosity and attention. ...

Mechanical 3d Animation, 3d modelling and 3d Graphics Services at Lowest Rates
Want to see how your product will look before you produce them? Then come to Mechanical 3D modelling where we will assist you in transforming the perception of your 3D models into reality. Save up to 40% to 60% on your projects!! Mechanical 3d Modelling Offers Various type of 2d design, 2d modelling, 2d and 3d mechanical modelling, mechanical 3d animation and design services, 3d graphics services and mechanical design in india with strong quality and lowest possible rates. We create 3D mechanical models with an added dimension and the impact which prompts curiosity and attention. ...

Mechanical 3d Animation, 3d modelling and 3d Graphics Services at Lowest Rates
Want to see how your product will look before you produce them? Then come to Mechanical 3D modelling where we will assist you in transforming the perception of your 3D models into reality. Save up to 40% to 60% on your projects!! Mechanical 3d Modelling Offers Various type of 2d design, 2d modelling, 2d and 3d mechanical modelling, mechanical 3d animation and design services, 3d graphics services and mechanical design in india with strong quality and lowest possible rates. We create 3D mechanical models with an added dimension and the impact which prompts curiosity and attention. ...

3d model of silicon | 3d model of simple cell | 3d model of snakes
>>> http://www.econoshock.com/?ss=3d_model_of_silicon >>> http://www.econoshock.com/?ss=3d_model_of_simple_cell >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=3d_model_of_waverly_hills >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=3d_model_of_water_tower >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=3d_model_of_the_taj_mahal >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=3d_model_of_stearic_acid >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=3d_model_of_spindrift 3d model of silicon 3d model of simple cell 3d model of snakes 3d model of sodium 3d model of spind...

Mechanical 3d Animation, 3d modelling and 3d Graphics Services at Lowest Rates
Want to see how your product will look before you produce them? Then come to Mechanical 3D modelling where we will assist you in transforming the perception of your 3D models into reality. Save up to 40% to 60% on your projects!! Mechanical 3d Modelling Offers Various type of 2d design, 2d modelling, 2d and 3d mechanical modelling, mechanical 3d animation and design services, 3d graphics services and mechanical design in india with strong quality and lowest possible rates. We create 3D mechanical models with an added dimension and the impact which prompts curiosity and attention. ...

animation 3d model | apache 3d model | ape man 3d model
>>> http://www.econoshock.com/?ss=animation_3d_model >>> http://www.econoshock.com/?ss=apache_3d_model >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=aspen_tree_3d_model >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=balrog_3d_model >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=autocad_3d_model_sample_project >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=audiovox_cdm_8910_3d_model >>> http://www.destroymidtown.com/?ss=baby_carriage_3d_max_model animation 3d model apache 3d model ape man 3d model apple ipod 3d model ares rocket 3d model aries 3d model as50 rifle 3d...

Web resources about - 3D PDF and 3d PostScript - comp.lang.postscript

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.


TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Potter postscript: 10 great, and 10 not-so-great, things about Harry Potter (Plus: The best scenes) ...
As the Harry Potter film series reaches the end of the story, we look back on the highs and lows of the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Postscript from Penn State-Loyola Maryland men's lacrosse
The Loyola Maryland men&rsquo;s lacrosse team likes to pepper opposing goalkeepers with shots. But the offense prefers to have a little production ...

Sunday Classics preview: A Leon Fleisher postscript
... this July 1956 Epic Debussy-Ravel LP. by Ken No, no, Fleisher hasn't died at least not that I know. What I mean in the post title is a "postscript" ...

Resources last updated: 1/26/2016 11:04:42 PM