Can I use postscript or PCL to tell the printer which paper bin to use?

I'm looking for an automated way to print out PDF files from a server
that will also tell my HP LJ5500 printer which paper bin to use for
printing.  Is this possible?

Any pointer is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
0
phong.lam (1)
4/2/2004 11:26:19 PM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

pnlam wrote:

> I'm looking for an automated way to print out PDF files from a server
> that will also tell my HP LJ5500 printer which paper bin to use for
> printing.  Is this possible?

Yes. Open the PPD for the printer in question and search for the keyword
"InputSlot". You'll have to insert the specific PS calls, eg.

    <</ManualFeed false/MediaPosition 0>> setpagedevice

BTW: If you're using CUPS on the server, CUPS can do the job (inserting PPD
features) for you. Query the PPD options of a specific queue via

    lpoptions -p $printer -l

and have a look for InputSlot, eg.

    InputSlot/Medien-Quelle : Upper *Middle Lower LargeCapacity

When printing, you use eg. "-o InputSlot=Upper" to change the default. The
appropriate commands will be fetched from the PPD and inserted into the
PostScript sent to the printer by the pstops filter.

Regards,

Thomas

can I use perl to write a Postscript file and send it to the printer?
I have a shell that is working fine. It gets some data from the database and sends it to the printer. But now I need to change it. The information we get from the database is in regards to the photographs that our graphics department has taken. For clarity sake, we would like to start printing out the image itself, along with all the data about it. I know how to send pure text to a printer, but I don't know how to send formatted text and images to the printer. I have an idea how to proceed, someone please tell me if this will work. I will write a Perl script that does the following: 1...

Do PC printers use PostScript?
Mac printers, traditionally, have had built-in PS language. The printer drivers send a postscript file to the printer and the printer's controller, using PS in the ROM, converts this to X and Y coordinate dots on the page. Yes? The few times I've tried printing to a "PC printer" (that had no PS in ROM), i got the classic "line of garbage" at the op of each page, and page after page of this stuff. Do Windows PCs use PostScript at all? How can I use a printer on a mostly PC network (when I visit a client's site) to print what I need. (Besides toting along my own PS printer...) PB G3/400; Mac OS X 10.3.4 Thanks, -- DaveC me@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group >Do Windows PCs use PostScript at all? Some do; most--the overwhelming majority--do not. Finding a PostScript printer in a typical Windows office is about like finding a snowman in the Phillipines--don't hold your breath... -- Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century. Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more: http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote: > "PC printer" There is NO such thing as a PC printer though there are GDI printers that only work with the more recent versions of Windows and defenitely do not work on other platforms. You can connect any printer with no problem at all on a Mac if the...

Can a USB port used by a printer be used for a scanner?
I've tried installing a scanner by connecting it to a USB port normally used for a printer. Can I do this? Like, when I want to use the printer or scanner i just connect then to the same port when needed? I would have thought so, but for some reason I can't see the scanner after installing the software In principle, yes, you can do that. However, some devices will only work with root ports (motherboard ports) and won't work on a hub port. And a particular product's drivers might behave in an unconventional way that, for that device, prohibited a mode of operation t...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter Britz Am 22.08.2013 16:24, schrieb Dieter Britz: > I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract > a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, > > plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 > > but gnuplot complains > > Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] > > although the data file contains > > 1 1 > 2 2 > 3 3 > 4 4 > 5 5 > You´ve set an xrange that ends between one and two. On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:46:37 +0200, Karl wrote: > Am 22.08.2013 16:24, schrieb Dieter Britz: >> I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from >> col. 2. I tried, in a test script, >> >> plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 >> >> but gnuplot complains >> >> Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjus...

Use non-Postscript printer Epson C900 with a MAC
Hi Group, Maybe someone would be able to help me? I wanted to Use a non-Postscript Windows-GDI Printer Epson C900 with a MAC. For that sake, i have installed to the Windows PC to which the printer is connected a dummy printer Apple Color LW12/660 Postscript driver, which output is redirected to Ghostscript via Redmon. Ghostscript's output is my Epson C900 driver with the following parameters: -dNoCancel -SDEVICE=mswinpr2 -sOutputfile="%printer%EPSON AL-C900 Advanced" - A testprint on Apple Color LW12/660 is almost successful: The testprint is correctly output to the Epson printer... I do however get an error message that the paper format doese not match my paper. Hmm All settings on the Apple printer driver as well as the settings on the Epson printer are set to A4, the paper is A4 as well. Have I forgotten a setting on Ghostscript? Second Problem: not related to GS: i don't see the shared Apple printer on my mac, can someone figure out why? Thanks for your support. Laszlo In article <hkslp3$hrf$02$1@news.t-online.com>, lazlo_lebrun@laszlomail.com says... > Ghostscript's output is my Epson C900 driver with the following parameters: > -dNoCancel -SDEVICE=mswinpr2 -sOutputfile="%printer%EPSON AL-C900 > Advanced" - > > A testprint on Apple Color LW12/660 is almost successful: The testprint > is correctly output to the Epson printer... > I do however get an error message that the paper format doese not...

To print Chinese characters using a PostScript-based printer
Hi All Any Utilitiese can change chinese character to Postscript format as a graph or other. As a result, chinese character can be printed on PostScript-based printer. I tries qprt no output. Machine : AIX 5.3 HP Laser jet printer is PostScript-based printer. moonhkt ...

How do I use built-in fonts in a Postscript printer (Brother HL-5250DN)
I am using a Brother Postscript printer with the CUPS 'driver' from my Mac. Most of my questions are not specific to this printer. (1) How does an application determine which fonts are built-in to the printer, and therefore do not need to be sent to the printer along with the text? (2) Is there a list of font substitutions stored somewhere (can't find it in the PPD) so is it stored in the printer? The list of built-in fonts printed by the printer diagnostics does not include the standard Postscript fonts, but include some fonts with very similar (indistingui...

printer won't use black ink with this PostScript
The below PS on several printers prints as expected either black toner or CMY process black toner. However on one printer it prints only CMY process black toner. The printer can print with black toner as we have a PDF file that works but I can not share this file. Thanks! Ed %! /Helvetica findfont 36 scalefont setfont 36 140 moveto 0 0 0 1 setcmykcolor (Hello Black 0 0 0 1) show 36 172 moveto 1 1 1 0 setcmykcolor (Hello CMY Black 1 1 1 0) show % These are used in 3 color (RGB HSB) to CMYK conversion %{} dup setblackgeneration setundercolorremoval {pop 1} dup setblackgeneration setundercolorremoval 36 312 moveto systemdict [/DeviceCMYK] setcolorspace 0 0 0 1 setcolor (systemdict -- Hello Black) show 36 276 moveto systemdict [/DeviceCMYK] setcolorspace 1 1 1 0 setcolor (systemdict -- Hello CMY Black) show showpage On Oct 19, 2:41 pm, abed...@hotmail.com wrote: > The below PS on several printers prints as expected either > black toner or CMY process black toner. However on one > printer it prints only CMY process black toner. > > The printer can print with black toner as we have a PDF file > that works but I can not share this file. > > Thanks! > Ed > > %! > /Helvetica findfont 36 scalefont setfont > > 36 140 moveto > 0 0 0 1 setcmykcolor > (Hello Black 0 0 0 1) show > > 36 172 moveto > 1 1 1 0 setcmykcolor > (Hello CMY Black 1 1 1 0) show > > % These are used in 3 color (RGB HSB) to CMYK conversion &g...

From PS to PCL via Ghostscript
G=92day everyone! I installed a virtual Postscript printer and use Ghostscript to convert Postscript files to PCL and send the PCL files to a real printer to print Postscript files on a non Postscript printer. To realize that, I used this tutorial: http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~henrik/GSP= Sprinter/GSPSprinter.html I get the Postscript file from another software =96 a scan software. In this software I am able to choose between DIN A4 and DIN A3. The Postscript file includes the correct page size (in the line below its DIN A3): <</DeferredMediaSelection true /PageSize [842 1190] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice In the Ghostscript output, the PCL file, I can=92t find that entry. The only thing I find is: @PJL SET PAPER=3DLETTER But that would be the wrong paper size. The print is OK, but the printer always uses tray no. 1. That=92s where the A4 paper is stored. But I need to print on DIN A3 paper as well. And I think that doesn=92t work because the page size isn=92t correct. Or would that conclusion be wrong? Is there any way to get the printer to chose the right tray? Printer: HP LaserJet 5000 Preference file for Ghostscript: -Ic:\gs\ggs9.01\lib;c:\gs\fonts -sDEVICE=3Dmswinpr2 -dNoCancel -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER In that preference file I tried =93sPAPERSIZE=94 with a3, a4, auto and even deleted it completely. None of it worked fine. I also tried to change preferences of the printer in the printer itself and the PCL5e driver of the printer. Nothing works... My questi...

Intalling PostScript printer driver on remote PC using WMI w/ Vbs (or other...)
Hello all, I am having difficulty locating information on how to install via script a Postscript printer driver on a remote PC. I tried adding a locally installed PS print-to-file printer to one computer then used the standard code of: Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\path\printer_name" This will attempt to add the printer but not the drivers. I've been looking at all of the WMI attributes for adding \ intalling printer drivers but am unable to locate any.... Any thoughts? PS: Desktop are running Win2k Pro ...

PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer?
Hi everyone! I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Thanks for being here! Stu "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my > WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > > > Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/ In article <Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 > system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Adobe Acrobat. "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 > system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about the Epson PS software for non-PS printers...long before Acrobat. You people are great. I enjoy coming here. Stu Unknown wrote: > "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in > ...

Where can I sell used my used tape?
Does anyone know where I can sell a couple hundred or so used DLT IV tapes and some used DLT III media. I've heard that there's some type of market for used media but can't seem to find anyone buying right now. Any help is appreciated On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:13:23 -0700, John Taylor wrote: > Does anyone know where I can sell a couple hundred or so used DLT IV > tapes and some used DLT III media. I've heard that there's some type > of market for used media but can't seem to find anyone buying right > now. I bought several dozen 8mm Exabytes tapes from eBay. You should be able to sell your DLT tapes there, too. I would suggest smaller lots (dozen?), or "Dutch Auction" (where the buyer makes a bid on a certain number of items, all at the same offering price). Good luck. -- Juhan Leemet Logicognosis, Inc. ...

Using Ligatures In PostScript
I run an event for which I have to make nametags, and invoices, and certificates, and so on. The guy who used to run it made these things by getting the data and putting it into a spreadsheet and then saving it as a CSV file which he imported into a word processor and lots of other stuff. I've been converting it to be more automatic. I've got a Perl program which grabs the names out of the database, directly creates a PostScript file, and then sends that to the printer. One click on the admin web site, and you're done. I've also gotten the invoices to work the same. But the certificates have always used fancier lettering, which fonts aren't on the printer. I've gotten the PostScript fonts we need, and I've discovered that "cat font.ps foo.ps | lpr" does roughly the right thing -- but it doesn't do the ligatures or follow any kerning rules. "t1testpage" shows that the ligatures are there, but the PostScript I'm generating doesn't use them. (I don't now how to find out if any kerning rules are included in the PS file, but the AFM file doesn't list any kerning data at all.) Is there some way to tell PostScript "don't use an 'f' and an 'l', instead use character fl"? t1testpage says it's character 257, which would be fine if I knew some way to tell it use to character 257. Since I'm rewriting in Perl anyway, sticking a replace for "fl" to "PostScrip...

HP Universal printer driver Postscript, old Postscript 2 printer and Acrobat 8
hello, I've installed the Universal printer driver Postscript, downloaded at http://www.hp.com/go/upd I've a problem with Adobe Acrobat 8 and two old printer with Postscript level 2 support (Laserjet 2200 and Color Laserjet 4500). Some document are not printed, and I got only a page which say I had send a postscript level 3 document to the printer. When I use the standard PS driver within Windows (and not the universal HP drivers), and I do File Print... Advanced option in Acrobat 8, I got "level 2 Postscript" in Poscript option. When I use the HP UPD PS driver , and I do File Print... Advanced option in Acrobat 8, I got "level 3 Postscript" in Poscript option. Manually revert to Postscript 2 did not always solves the problem Gilles Vollant wrote: > hello, > I've installed the Universal printer driver Postscript, downloaded at > http://www.hp.com/go/upd > > I've a problem with Adobe Acrobat 8 and two old printer with Postscript > level 2 support (Laserjet 2200 and Color Laserjet 4500). When I had to produce postscript prints, I was using Linotronic drivers (don't remember the number, probably any will work). Not a single problem with compatibility. It was with Win2K. -- Jerry1111 Yes, I just wanted use HP universal driver which has some cool feature ...

Just When I Was Getting Used To Using Using
I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an enumeration: struct Packet { struct Payload { } ; } ; I had gotten into the habit of writing: using Packet::Payload; so I could write: Payload::..blah.. instead of Packet::Payload::..blah I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compiler from you-know-who on my source code and got 1000's of error messages: ...\Packet\Packet.cpp(13) : error C2885: 'Packet::Payload': not a valid using-declaration at non-class scope What does the standard say? Is th...

Can I avoid the use of arrays in this situation or do I have to use them?
Hi. I've been reworking a bignum package I made a bit. I've got this thing here that multiplies two strings of digits using a simple "grade school" algorithm, and it seems I can't help but use an array in there for a temporary buffer, as reallocating an std::vector<> over and over again takes lots of time, and storing a global buffer would be a problem since my program will have multithreading. (Although I suppose one could allocate a certain amount of global buffers equal to the maximum amount of threads one could run and then pass an index parameter to each routi...

CUPS: Non postscript printer as postscript devide
hi all i just set up a linux server in my network that uses cups to print to a brother hl-5030 printer connected via network, using lpd. recently i installed the same printer on mac os x 10.3, finally a task too complicated for a mac user -- to download the ghostscript interpreter, the ppds etc, to use the web interface... so i thought: it would be much easier if i could advertise the printer per ipp as a postscript printer via my linux server -- so i could just select it. but since my brother printer does not support postscript by default, the linux server would have to emulate that. to v...

Why I can not use functions with "using"?
Hi, The first command works find, but the second doesn't. Could you please let me know why? I'm using gnuplot 4.1. "raw.dat" contains a column of real numbers. gnuplot> plot "raw.dat" using ($1>0 ? $1 : - $1) gnuplot> plot "raw.dat" using abs($1) ^ undefined value Best wishes, Peng In article <1122853823.566349.158680@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, PengYu.UT@gmail.com <PengYu.UT@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >The first command works find, but the second doesn't. Could you please >let me know why? > >gnuplot> plot "raw.dat" using ($1>0 ? $1 : - $1) >gnuplot> plot "raw.dat" using abs($1) > undefined value You need parentheses around the expression, just as in your 1st example. plot "raw.dat" using (abs($1)) -- Ethan A Merritt ...

Can use kerberized telnet, but cannot use pam_krb5
--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit I'm at my wits' end. I'm trying to use a Win2k ADS/Kerberos Infrastructure with Debian GNU/Linux clients. What I can do on the host: ----------- snip ---------- # kinit -V hildeb Password for hildeb@CHARITE.DE: Authenticated to Kerberos v5 # klist Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0 Default principal: hildeb@CHARITE.DE Valid starting Expires Service principal 02/01/06 12:58:23 02/01/06 22:58:25 krbtgt/CHARITE.DE@CHARITE.DE renew until 02/02/06 12:58:23 Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0 klist: You have no tickets cached ----------- snip ---------- I can also use the kerberized telnetd (/usr/bin/telnet.krb5 from the krb5-clients package) and log into that host successfully (with the username & password that the win2k provides). What I can't do: I'm trying to use libpam-krb5 1.2.0-1PAM module for MIT Kerberos as PAM modules for OpenVPN: ----------- snip ---------- # PAM configuration for OpenVPN auth sufficient pam_krb5.so debug ignore_root account required pam_krb5.so debug ignore_root ----------- snip ---------- any login attempt from openvpn results in: Jan 31 20:54:05 vpn-gw-int openvpn[3005]: (pam_krb5): none: pam_sm_authenticate: entry Jan 31 20:54:05 vpn-gw-int openvpn[3005]: pam_krb5: openvpn-krb5 Jan 31 20:54:05 vpn-gw-int o...

printing postscript on default (non-postscript) printer
Hello. Is there a way to print postscript (.ps) files on default (not necessarily a postscript) printer from windows CLI or using some kind of a spooler to watch over a certain directory? I've seen utilities like PrintFile or RedMon, but they don't seem to work. If nobody knows of a tool like this, perhaps you could point me into the right directon; I need to know how windows programs print. Ie. I know they place a file into the spooler, but what is the format of that .prn (?) file? Some sort of PCL or what? TIA. -- Uspjesne regije, tvrtke, muskarci i zene znaju ...

How can a new process use a used port?
(This is not nessarily a programming question but hopefully somebody here knows the answer. The system is SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R.) I thought a new process could not use a TCP port already used by another process. But on an Oracle database server, two processes both open 1522 on the same IP. They were started completely independent of each other (not from a common parent that opened port 1522 earlier). #TNS listener: $ ps -fp 17413 UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD oracle 17413 1 0 01:49:00 ? 0:00 /export/home/oracle/ products/9205/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inhe...

How can a new process use a used port?
I thought a new process could not use a TCP port already used by another process. But on an Oracle database server, two processes both open 1522 on the same IP. They were started completely independent of each other (not from a common parent that opened port 1522 earlier). #TNS listener: $ ps -fp 17413 UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD oracle 17413 1 0 01:49:00 ? 0:00 /export/home/oracle/ products/9205/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit $ pfiles 17413 .... 9: S_IFSOCK mode:0666 dev:284,0 ino:14870 uid:0 gid:0 size:0 O_RDWR FD_CLOEXEC sockname: AF_INE...

using NAT Router, can't block gmail, can I use Linux box instaed of NAT Router?
using NAT Router for small office, can't block gmail, can I use Linux box to block gmail (all web based e-mails) instead of NAT Router to do block, will it support?. Thanks santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > using NAT Router for small office, can't block gmail, can I use Linux > box to block gmail (all web based e-mails) instead of NAT Router to do > block, will it support?. Thanks If you need to allow other Web traffic, you're OOL. The webmails are just web pages and they cannot easily be distinguished from valid web traffic by the firewall. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi Tauno Voipio wrote: > santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > >> using NAT Router for small office, can't block gmail, can I use Linux >> box to block gmail (all web based e-mails) instead of NAT Router to do >> block, will it support?. Thanks > > > > If you need to allow other Web traffic, you're OOL. The > webmails are just web pages and they cannot easily be > distinguished from valid web traffic by the firewall. > I don't think the original poster was at all clear in describing what he/she wants to do. You could indeed block access to a particular web site, knowing its IP address. But when I read the posting, I thought the concern was with incoming mail from such web based e-mails (and there are many others besides gmail). So I think we need clarification. Or perhaps the OP is clueless (as evidenced by the g...

Web resources about - Can I use postscript or PCL to tell the printer which paper bin to use? - comp.lang.postscript

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Potter postscript: 10 great, and 10 not-so-great, things about Harry Potter (Plus: The best scenes) ...
As the Harry Potter film series reaches the end of the story, we look back on the highs and lows of the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Postscript from Penn State-Loyola Maryland men's lacrosse
The Loyola Maryland men&rsquo;s lacrosse team likes to pepper opposing goalkeepers with shots. But the offense prefers to have a little production ...

Sunday Classics preview: A Leon Fleisher postscript
... this July 1956 Epic Debussy-Ravel LP. by Ken No, no, Fleisher hasn't died at least not that I know. What I mean in the post title is a "postscript" ...