Can't print PDF files on Postscript printer

I have a postscript laser printer that prints everything except PDF
files.  Anyone know what the deal is with PDF files?  What makes them so
troublesome to print?  Anyone know of a fix?

The laser printer that I have is a 1987 QMS-PS 810 (postscript level 1)
with 2 MB RAM memory (for print jobs, I guess) and 1 MB ROM memory (3
printer emulations and 35 resident fonts).  I'm running Windows 2000 with
512 MB memory.  Everything else prints fine, but when I try to print a
PDF file, the print job initiates but then fails.  Instead of the
expected output, the printer will print an error message.  Error messages
vary.  Here are three typical:

1:
ERROR:  interrupt
OFFENDING COMMAND: ISOLatin1Encoding
STACK: (long list of /items)

2:
ERROR:  VMerror
OFFENDING COMMAND:  dict
STACK: (long printout of postscript gibberish)
(From what I've found, the VMerror indiates virtual memory full, printer
out of memory, something exceeds the postscript interpreter's memory or a
postscript language line in it.)

3:
This job requires more memory than is available in this printer.
Try one or more of the following, and then print again:
  For the output format, choose Optimize for Portability.
  In the Device Settings page, make sure the Available Postscript Memory
is accurate.
  Reduce the number of fonts in the document.
  Print the document in parts.

So, I've done everything I can find to do; Set optimize for portability;
confirm memory set at 2 MB; print one page at a time; etc.  Still can't
print PDF documents.  If lack of memory is an issue, the 2 MB memory
works for everything else, why isn't that enough for PDF files?

Has anyone run into this before and found a solution?
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:19:33 -0500, Lee Kingston
<SoundOp_TakeThisOut@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> If lack of memory is an issue, the 2 MB memory
> works for everything else, why isn't that enough for PDF files?

I've run into memory problems on PCL printers as well as Postscript,
and I'm surprised that you have not encountered it before on your PS
files. Maybe your PS output is typically less complex than the PDFs
you are trying to print?

I run an old Laserjet 5MP (PS level 2) and it made a big difference
when I put an extra 8MB of memory in it. Your machine is a fair bit
older again than mine, so it might not be worth looking for extra
memory at this late stage.

Workaround:
1. Select "print as image" in the print dialog in Acrobat / Reader.
2. If that doesn't do the trick, repeat with lower resolution output
(e.g. 300 dpi instead of 600 dpi)

--
Pete Bland
(email address spam-trapped)
Lee Kingston <SoundOp_TakeThisOut@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>ERROR:  interrupt
>OFFENDING COMMAND: ISOLatin1Encoding
>STACK: (long list of /items)

Interrupt - don't see that very much.  Assuming you didn't you cancel
the job, you probably sent binary data to a printer expecting ASCII.
The character value 3 will cancel the job.  Maybe also a side effect
of the problems below.

>2:
>ERROR:  VMerror
>OFFENDING COMMAND:  dict
>STACK: (long printout of postscript gibberish)
>(From what I've found, the VMerror indiates virtual memory full, printer
>out of memory, something exceeds the postscript interpreter's memory or a
>postscript language line in it.)

Correct.  You need more memory in the printer.

>3:
>This job requires more memory than is available in this printer.
>Try one or more of the following, and then print again:
>  For the output format, choose Optimize for Portability.
>  In the Device Settings page, make sure the Available Postscript Memory
>is accurate.
>  Reduce the number of fonts in the document.
>  Print the document in parts.

Ditto.

>So, I've done everything I can find to do; Set optimize for portability;
>confirm memory set at 2 MB; print one page at a time; etc.  Still can't
>print PDF documents.  If lack of memory is an issue, the 2 MB memory
>works for everything else, why isn't that enough for PDF files?

Because it isn't enough.  The memory has to contain all downloaded
fonts and also all procedures. The number of procedures varies, and
Acrobat uses more than most.

>Has anyone run into this before and found a solution?

Many; add more memory.

The print as image option can also reduce memory requirements, while
slowing down printing and sometimes reducing quality.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite1 (113)
9/7/2003 9:27:33 AM
Pete Bland <nobodyhere@ntlworld.leaveitout.com> wrote in

> I've run into memory problems on PCL printers as well as Postscript,
> and I'm surprised that you have not encountered it before on your PS
> files. Maybe your PS output is typically less complex than the PDFs
> you are trying to print?

Usual postscript output is Word (text) documents.  Pretty simple.  When
printing Excel spreadsheets with size reduction and grids though, it can
take a LONG time, but it always eventually prints.

> I run an old Laserjet 5MP (PS level 2) and it made a big difference
> when I put an extra 8MB of memory in it. Your machine is a fair bit
> older again than mine, so it might not be worth looking for extra
> memory at this late stage.

To print PDF files, how much memory do you recommend for a level 1
postscript printer?

> Workaround:
> 1. Select "print as image" in the print dialog in Acrobat / Reader.
> 2. If that doesn't do the trick, repeat with lower resolution output
> (e.g. 300 dpi instead of 600 dpi)

I tried #1 previously, and no luck.  Will try #2.  It's looking like
printer memory is the issue.
quite@dial.pipex.com (Aandi Inston) wrote in

> You need more memory in the printer.

> The memory has to contain all downloaded
> fonts and also all procedures. The number of procedures varies, and
> Acrobat uses more than most.

To print PDF files (using Acrobat Reader), how much memory do you recommend
for a level 1 postscript printer?

> The print as image option can also reduce memory requirements, while
> slowing down printing and sometimes reducing quality.

I tried that one previously, and no luck.
Lee Kingston <SoundOp_TakeThisOut@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>quite@dial.pipex.com (Aandi Inston) wrote in
>
>> You need more memory in the printer.
>
>> The memory has to contain all downloaded
>> fonts and also all procedures. The number of procedures varies, and
>> Acrobat uses more than most.
>
>To print PDF files (using Acrobat Reader), how much memory do you recommend
>for a level 1 postscript printer?

You can try doubling it.  The tricks is finding what memory is
compatible and how it is installed.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite1 (113)
9/8/2003 6:31:28 AM
> > Workaround:
> > 1. Select "print as image" in the print dialog in Acrobat / Reader.
> > 2. If that doesn't do the trick, repeat with lower resolution output
> > (e.g. 300 dpi instead of 600 dpi)
>
> I tried #1 previously, and no luck.  Will try #2.  It's looking like
> printer memory is the issue.

Quite a lot of printers use standard memory.  I've raided old PCs to
update so far a 5SI and a Laserjet 4.  At home I ordered a $10 64MB
simm for my printer and it works great (Lexmark E-312).  A lot of the
newer ones use dimms or sodimms from what I hear.  If I remember
correctly the only requirement was it needed to be EDO.  It NEVER
hickups on a job no matter what the size of the document.  BTW if you
try to get the memory from the manufacturer it may cost many hundreds
of $.

Eric
0
ewitte (10)

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

hyperlinks in PDF file from Adobe's PostScript Printer
Hello. I can create PDF files from Microsoft Word 2002 SP3 on my Windows XP box by printing to a file using Adobe's free PostScript printer driver, and then using ps2pdf on my SuSE 9.1 Pro Linux box. This works pretty damn well, and creates nice PDF files IMO. (The only weird thing is that I have to select "Optimize for Portability" instead of "Optimize for Speed" in Printing Properties in Windows or ps2pdf will generate black/white PDF files. Well, and another little thing is that the "Author", "Title" and such don't show up in the PDF file....

from tiger, can't print (push) file to win printer over network
I have a mac g5 running Tiger which is connected (airport) to a local area network I have a laptop pc on the same network I have a workstation pc on the same network from either pc, I can print a file located on the mac but if i attempt to print the same file from the mac I get an error issued by Tiger "unable to connect to SAMBA host.... it seems that i may not have something set correctly on the mac. any ideas? Bil WildBil wrote: > I have a mac g5 running Tiger which is connected (airport) to a local > area network > I have a laptop pc on the same netwo...

Color laser printer which can print postscript files without connecting to a computer?
Hi, I am looking for a color laser printer, which can print without a computer. ie, through a USB input. Say if I have a USB flash drive, I should be able to see filenames in an LCD screen and be able to print files (documents mostly). I know that there are some photo printers with pictbridge (?) etc. But I am looking for a small office where the above can be achieved. The USB drive might not have the capability to send files to the printer, but I want to see a printer having the capability to read the files in the USB drive. Since files may be of different formats, a simpler s...

bug in eps terminal 'Can't find PostScript prologue'
I get this as soon as I use the eps terminal: gnuplot> load 'gnuplot.plt' Can't find PostScript prologue file C:\Program Files\gnuplot\\share/PostScript\p rologue.ps loadpath is empty Please copy prologue.ps to one of the above directories or set the loadpath appropriately or set the environmental variable GNUPLOT_PS_DIR "gnuplot.plt", line 59: Plot failed! Using gp 4.4.0rc1 Matthias On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:40:59 +0100, Matthias Pospiech wrote: > I get this as soon as I use the eps terminal: > > gnuplot> load '...

Adobe PostScript driver can't make ps file in Win XP in VMware
Gang I've taken the time-wasting step of changing disks and migrating from Windows 2000 to XP in the process. I installed the latest Adobe PostScript driver for XP but when I try to use it to make a ps file from Windows FrameMaker 5.5.6 (or from any other Windows program) I get an error message about not being able to write to the file. I can go straight to PDF without any problems but when I try to make a ps file (as is necessary to print a book as a single pdf) I get the message. Has anyone else seen this problem? I should mention that I am running Windows XP on a VMware vir...

printing postscript on default (non-postscript) printer
Hello. Is there a way to print postscript (.ps) files on default (not necessarily a postscript) printer from windows CLI or using some kind of a spooler to watch over a certain directory? I've seen utilities like PrintFile or RedMon, but they don't seem to work. If nobody knows of a tool like this, perhaps you could point me into the right directon; I need to know how windows programs print. Ie. I know they place a file into the spooler, but what is the format of that .prn (?) file? Some sort of PCL or what? TIA. -- Uspjesne regije, tvrtke, muskarci i zene znaju ...

python33, windows, UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode characters in position, to print out the file contents to stdout,
I run python33 scrupt SVtxt.py from Windows command line I want to print out the file contents to stdout.=20 File contents: "Vi kan inte l=E4ngre underordna den vinster..." Python script sentences i have tries to use: f=3Dopen('C:\Python33\Scripts\lang\langu\svtxt.txt','r') linef=3Df.readlines() f.close() print(linef)#gives error print(linef).decode("utf-8","ignore")#gives error ERROR: c:\Python33\Scripts\lang\langu>python SVtxt.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "SVtxt.py", line 8, in <module> pr...

Can't Boot Up - Missing NTSDAPI.dll file
Hello, Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my pointer about. Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. Thanks!! Anthony Anthony wrote: ...

Can't print to HP LaserJet printer via Windows Printing
I can print to one of the HP LaserJet 2100tn printers via AppleTalk. But when I try to add the printer (via the Printer Setup Utility), I can't see it. 1. I click the Add button 2. I select Windows Printing from the drop-down list 3. I select a workgroup from the lower drop-down list No printers show up in the list. There are 2 HP LJ printers on the net, but none of them show up under Windows Printing. Am I doing something wrong? Also, I tried adding a printer via IP Printing. But when I try to print, I get no indication that the printer has received the job; no output. Maybe...

Acrobat6 Pro, "Failed to Print", suddenly can't print to pdf
I am suddenly not able to print from any application to a PDF File via the "Adobe PDF" printer. I get a "failed to print" notification from the printer and the document just sets in the queue until I cancel it (then it takes minutes to get flushed). The "acrotray.exe" process is running and I've verified that it's the correct version, etc. I've tried desintall/reinstalling acrobat 6 many times, rebooting between each, etc. No luck. And printing to the "Adobe PDF" printer worked for many months until suddenly it just started giving this e...

2000 client can install but can't print to a shared printer on XP workstation
I see that a lot of post for similar problems but no answers that I have not tried. Problem. HP 982C printer installed on LPT 1 Windows XP home computer and is shared as deskjet. Windows 2000 laptop can see the printer and install it and file sharing works fine. When going to print a test page it immidatley fails. When printing from notepad error message 'invalid handle', word reports print job failed. From the 2000 machine I can see the xp computers print jobs enter and exit. Tried. Reinstalling the drivers on the XP machine. and I have installed the drivers on the 2000 machi...

2000 client can install but can't print to a shared printer on XP workstation
I see that a lot of post for similar problems but no answers that I have not tried. Problem. HP 982C printer installed on LPT 1 Windows XP home computer and is shared as deskjet. Windows 2000 laptop can see the printer and install it and file sharing works fine. When going to print a test page it immidatley fails. When printing from notepad error message 'invalid handle', word reports print job failed. From the 2000 machine I can see the xp computers print jobs enter and exit. Tried. Reinstalling the drivers on the XP machine. and I have installed the drivers on the 2000 machi...

Why can't PDF print?
My neighbor can't print a PDF; her iMac tells her she doesn't have enough memory. I'm stumped too. She has an original iMac G3 with 64mb, running OS8.6. She's using 18 mb or so in system memory, another 13 for Acrobat REader v.5, and About This Apple tells her she has 33mb or so unused. But when she tries to print, a message pops up telling her she doesn't have enough memory to print, that she should quit applications. It's a 136k PDF file. Any suggestions? -- Bob Ball If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people. If you want to...

can't print file
Dear all, I have problem can't print .m file from file menu - print the error is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: services must contain defaultService java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: services must contain defaultService at javax.print.ServiceUI.printDialog(Unknown Source) at com.mathworks.mde.cmdwin.XCmdWndView.print(XCmdWndView.java:1508) at ............... could you help how to fix this ? I'm using MATLAB version 7.01 (R14) SP1 Thanks Handri ...

postscript file and pdf file
Dear Sir: On web if I need to download an ariticle, most of them are pdf files, which I can open it through acroread program. Ocassionally, there are postscript files(ps files). I noticed the size of a ps file is very big, while pdf file is small. I am curious why some people use ps files, not pdf files. I know that it is very easy to use ps2pdf, pdf2ps to change between them. I am just wondering if there is any advantage for using postscript files. By the way, for printing a postscript file, the printer needs to be a postscript printer, right? Thank you very much. Best Regards, Xiaoshen Xiaoshen Li wrote: > > I am curious why some people use ps files, not pdf files. I know that it > is very easy to use ps2pdf, pdf2ps to change between them. I am just > wondering if there is any advantage for using postscript files. > Very little advantage over PDF that I can imagine, for most purposes, and in fact any device-specific code there may be in a PS file can cause problems on other types of printer than the one originally specified. I think most of these files would be 'legacies' from before PDF became so widespread, or are created out of reluctance to adopt a newer format. Although raster images in PS files will typically be of much higher resolution than those in "screen optimized" PDFs intended for distribution over networks, the PDF format is equally capable of supporting high-quality imaging. While a PS file containing programmin...

Printing a postscript file with Win32::Printer
Hi all, upon discovering (to my horror) that Win32::Printer::Direct does not respect the configuration set in the Printers and Faxes dialogue (such as the source and output tray), I proceeded to look at using Win32::Printer do do the job. The method that seems most promising is the Inject method, which appears to let you inject raw postscript data into the job. I would like to inject contents of the file I have so that it's data is the only thing that gets sent to the printer. No matter what I have tried though, the page comes out blank. Has anyone managed to use Win32::Printer to prin...

New WIN98 installation of Scilab 2.5: PROBLEM: can't print to scilex from keyboard; can't change scilex background (using toolbar command)
hello and thank-you. i tried to put everything I have to say in the subject line! To amplify a little, I have just completed a new installation of scilab 2.5 on my ancient win98 operating system, on my toshiba tecra 8000 laptop. on starting scilab, i find i am able to run demos, and generally operate from the command line successfully. however as you will understand i wish to edit files, and when i try the editor (scilex) i find i am presented with a frame of black screen with a toolbar on which i can change the typeface but not the background, and i cannot put text into the editor. any help would be greatly appreciated mark >>> <amarkpalmer@gmail.com> 05/11/06 2:19 AM >>> >however as you will understand i wish to edit files, and when i try the >editor (scilex) i find i am presented with a frame of black screen with >a toolbar on which i can change the typeface but not the background, >and i cannot put text into the editor. Scilex is not the editor, but the main scilab engine. If you call it as it is, you basically just get a dos mode scilab console (IIRC). The internal editor scipad was introduced in a very basic form later down the way (I think in 2.6), and was improved in the next releases. It might be that some later version of scilab still runs on win95. Otherwise, your choice is just an external text editor; there are many, and if you check in the contribution page, some have even some sort of scila...

why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's of large size?
why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's of large size? entrepreneur schrieb: > why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's > of large size? A search engine cannot distinguish between files that are stored physically on a webserver and answers that are generated on the fly, like by scripts. It's a simple exercise to generate a cgi script that generates a list of some million random words, even non-stop-words. So the programmers of a search engine must apply different strategies to hand...

Can't print large files
We are sending documents to several Xerox N40 printers from 2 identically equipped and configured HP-UX 11.0 servers. The servers are N4000's, have 4 GB of swap,and 8GB of RAM each, and have plenty of room in the lp spool areas. Identical files greater than 45MB cannot be printed from one of the servers, but can be printed from the other. Both servers can print files < 45MB. Both systems support largefiles, and I can do a prealloc bigfile 1000000000. It doesn't matter if the files are PCL, Postscript, or text. Both servers, in the past, have printed files > 45MB OK to this...

Can't open PDF file
Several people that I sent an email with an attached PDF file, could not open it when sent by Entourage. The file could be open using Apple's Mail.app. Both were sent using the same ISP. Any ideas on why this happened? And how can I correct? TIA. -- PB G4 1.5 Ghz 768 Megs ram Office (Entourage) 2004 Pop Account to receive and SMTP to send ________________________________________________ Hogwasher, Premier News and Mail for OS X http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html ________________________________________________ gaz <gaz@gaz.com> wrote: &...

Printer postscript driver and PDF's?
Hello, I've been trying all sorts of things to try and get this working but have come to a grinding halt. I have a Xerox 7700DX printer; the drivers which came with included a "tk7700dx.ppd" file which holds various printer information. I've edited a copy of this with customised settings. When I print from Corel using this ppd file it incorporates the printer settings I require. However I cannot seem to find a way to save these printer settings when I create a pdf file. I've tried using the built-in 'publish to PDF' option in Corel, I've tried printing to a file, and tried printing to a virtual PDF printer but nothing seems to save the printer settings I've specified. My aim is to create PDF's which hold the printer settings (e.g. which printer, duplex, paper size, paper tray etc�) within the document itself. We have a number of workstation using a network printer, and we'll all be using these PDF. I'm completely baffled, or maybe this isn't possible? You help in greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob ijwalla@hotmail.com (Bill) wrote: >When I print from Corel using this ppd file it incorporates the >printer settings I require. However I cannot seem to find a way to >save these printer settings when I create a pdf file. PDF files do not store printer settings. Perhaps the P (Portable) is the reason, maybe they just never got to it. ---------------------------------------- Aandi Inston quite@dial.pipex.com http...

can I send a postscript file straight to printer?
On a Windows machine, could I type some text (postscript commands) into a text file and save it with a ".ps" extension and send that straight to a printer? I'd like to upload it to an HP Unix server and from there send it to the printer from the command line, without having to invoke any other software. The printer is suppose to understand Postscript natively. In article <1131123894.528611.247230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, <lkrubner@geocities.com> wrote: >On a Windows machine, could I type some text (postscript commands) into >a text file and save it with a ".ps" extension and send that straight >to a printer? Sure, I do it all the time when testing. PostScript is a programming language and you can write programs using your favorite editor as you would if you were writing in some other programming language like FORTRAN. -- -- Rod -- rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com <lkrubner [ AT ] geocities.com> ha scritto nel messaggio > On a Windows machine, could I type some text (postscript commands) into > a text file and save it with a ".ps" extension and send that straight > to a printer? > I'd like to upload it to an HP Unix server and from there send it to > the printer from the command line, without having to invoke any other > software. The printer is suppose to understand Postscript natively. You can easily do it so, if the printer is shared: c:\>copy /b testfile.ps \\servername\pr...

Can't open PDF files
Hi, I am wondering if someone can help me. I am using my daughter's laptop for family research. When I try to open, say for instance, the Nominal Roll from WW1 from the War Memorial I cannot get the page to open. I have Adobe Acrobat (free version) installed. It works fine on my old 1996 PC with the same Adobe Acrobat but it is a nuisance when it won't open on the Laptop. Any ideas from some clever person. Kaye Payne Kaye J Payne wrote: > Hi, > > I am wondering if someone can help me. I am using my daughter's laptop for > family research. When I try to open, sa...

Web resources about - Can't print PDF files on Postscript printer - comp.lang.postscript

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Potter postscript: 10 great, and 10 not-so-great, things about Harry Potter (Plus: The best scenes) ...
As the Harry Potter film series reaches the end of the story, we look back on the highs and lows of the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Postscript from Penn State-Loyola Maryland men's lacrosse
The Loyola Maryland men&rsquo;s lacrosse team likes to pepper opposing goalkeepers with shots. But the offense prefers to have a little production ...

Sunday Classics preview: A Leon Fleisher postscript
... this July 1956 Epic Debussy-Ravel LP. by Ken No, no, Fleisher hasn't died at least not that I know. What I mean in the post title is a "postscript" ...