Converting PDF to Postscript

Hi,

Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript?
If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a
command line with no interaction?

Thanks
-Howard
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Howard Webb wrote:

 > Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript?

Yes.  pdf2ps is a script that will use gs to do this conversion.

 > If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a
 > command line with no interaction?

But a better conversion is usually obtained by using pdftops which
is bundled with xpdf (or poppler-utils in some Linux distributions).

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
7/29/2009 9:02:47 PM
In article <slrnh71e7n.3gp.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, BobT@cs.queensu.ca
says...
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Howard Webb wrote:
>
>  > Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript?
>
> Yes.  pdf2ps is a script that will use gs to do this conversion.

The pdf2ps script uses the pswrite device, a level 1 PostScript output
device. You will get better results (considerably better) by using the
ps2write device, which outputs level 2 PostScript instead.

Unless you require DSC conformance or level 1 output you should use
ps2write instead. The ps2ps2 script will do this and despite the name
works for PDF input as well as PostScript input.

				Ken
0
ken161 (742)
7/30/2009 7:18:01 AM
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:18:01 +0100, ken wrote:
 > In article <slrnh71e7n.3gp.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, BobT@cs.queensu.ca
 > says...
 >> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Howard Webb wrote:
 >>
 >>  > Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript?
 >>
 >> Yes.  pdf2ps is a script that will use gs to do this conversion.
 >
 > The pdf2ps script uses the pswrite device, a level 1 PostScript output
 > device. You will get better results (considerably better) by using the
 > ps2write device, which outputs level 2 PostScript instead.
 >
 > Unless you require DSC conformance or level 1 output you should use
 > ps2write instead. The ps2ps2 script will do this and despite the name
 > works for PDF input as well as PostScript input.

Note to the OP: the ps2write device was introduced in gs-8.61, so you'll
need a recent version.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
7/30/2009 8:06:58 AM
Howard Webb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript?
> If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a
> command line with no interaction?
>
> Thanks
> -Howard

Print to disk, of course.
0
don117 (203)

PostScript to Troff Converter (*Not Troff to PostScript Converter*)
Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? Here's where I'm going with this... There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS ou= tput, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The inp= ut file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by a = script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a c= onverted to a PDF for delivery. I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText o= n my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possibl= e to convert PS to troff input... On Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:07:22 PM UTC-5, gjwat...@gmail.com wrote: > Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? >=20 > Here's where I'm going with this... >=20 > There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS = output, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The i= nput file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by = a script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a= converted to a PDF for delivery. >=20 > I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText= on my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possi= ble to convert PS to troff input... I've never heard of such a utility and I think i...

convert from PDF to postscript
We are creating PDF files in our application and storing them, but we must also print them. I have it narrowed down to executing LPR from the application. Sample postscript files printed OK with this command, so I need to convert PDF files to postscript. I've been looking for something to do this and can't find it. I found such things as a2ps and pdf2ps but no java implementation of these. Help is desperately needed converting PDF to PS for printing. hanks "David McDivitt" <x12code-del@del-yahoo.com> wrote in message news:vhvfv0p0ot5lnl236cefdvc61fdvno5cbj@4ax.com......

postscript and pdf missing base postscript fonts
I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them. My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded in the pdf file. I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline. Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config, I find indeed that for e.g. Times-Italic, a pfb file is not indicated for the base postscript fonts. On my (postscript) laserprinter this is not a problem, I guess, because it probably has the base fonts loaded in the hardware postscript RIP in the printer. My questions are: 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for the base postscript fonts. 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot -> pslatex -> dvips ? 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based? Thanks Kreutzer On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, kreutzer wrote: > I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing > firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them. > > My first attempt met ...

convert PDF to Postscript by javascript
I need to convert PDF to Postscript files: I know that my Acrobat 5 give me the possibility to save a PDF in Postscript but I would like to create a Javascript to have this thing in batch. I tried to modify an existing batch sequence and obtained this code <</Commands [/c <<>>] /Input [/c << /FileVariation [/i 2] /SourceFileOptions [/c <<>>] >>] /Output [/c << /AddToBaseName [/b false] /DontOverwrite [/b false] /FileVariation [/i 0] /HandlerUniqueID [/s (com.adobe.acrobat.ps)] /InsertAfterBaseName [/t ()] /InsertBeforeBaseName [/t ()] /O...

Convert to PDF (without PostScript) -- How is it Possible?
When someone explained to me what a PDF is, I came to understand that a PDF is essentially a "distilled" PostScript file. So to create one, you need to "print" to a PostScript printer driver, then "distill" the resulting postscript file with a PostScript interpreter, like Acrobat Distiller or Ghostscript. But OpenOffice can convert to PDF without PostScript. It just does it, and I can't imagine how. WordPerfect Office Suite has "Publish to PDF." You just click and a PDF happens. And there are other programs that perform similarly. None of ...

Convert postscript to PDF or text in OSX
I understand that you can convert postscript files to pdf using some command line utility built into OSX. (When i was reading about PStill http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/3629 an Adobe Distill type of program for OSX $70. But the command is free.) What command do i use? % man pdf returned nothing. I actually want to convert postscript files to the simple text format. They are all text, columns and rows of names and numbers. The idea is to get test scores with associated ID#s into a spreadsheet. The text returned will have spaces instead of tabs so it will be clumb...

problem converting the postscript file to pdf using ghostscript
i have a post script file which has four pagees three pages are in Potrait and the fourth is landscape when i run command this command "gswin32c -q -dLOCALFONTS -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dAutoRotatePages=/None -sOutputFile=c:\S100834431_GScript_6.pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c ..setpdfwrite -f C:\S100834431.ps" it generates a pdf file i get the first three pages correct but the fourth page which was landscape is not displayed properly pls help me ...

Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript
I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that emulated PS printers are cheaper. What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server? When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts. This confuses me. -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS? - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS? Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)? Thank you. -- MR Don't ever use printer fonts. No guarantee that fonts with the same name are really the same (News Gothic). Nowadays it's no problem to download fonts to the printer. The number of printer fonts is irrelevant - one needs just one font - Courier New for error messages. PostScript clones are not necessarily bad. Even original Adobe PS contains bugs. This PDF doc was printed by OKI 9600 HDN (Okidata), which uses an original PS3 interpreter: http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf The Web preview (250 kBytes) is: http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolortest.pdf The results were better than expected - very good, but some unexpected lines which might be already hidden in the PDF. The color ...

Postscript to pdf
Hello, I'm doing a software to make an id card for a school club so i used TKINTER to make this software. So i can enter details like name, student number etc.. So finally i got a Postscript file the problem is that i want to make a pdf file do you have any ideas? "convert ps to pdf" Thank u regards In a message of Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:20:10 -0700, Bala Ji writes: >Hello, > >I'm doing a software to make an id card for a school club so i used TKINT= ER to make this software. >So i can enter details like name, student number etc.. > >So fina...

Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8
Hello, Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file to PostScript file ? Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/ sfw/bin in Solaris 10. Thanks, Bill underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes: >Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file >to PostScript file ? >Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/ >sfw/bin in Solaris 10. Thats part of the xpdf package. You can get that from Blastwave.. underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I...

postscript
I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small, but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this? thanks -C In a...

Postscript
Hello, I have been trying to find a library to make the production os postscript file easier from our cobol programs. Finally, I have begun to write a library in OO cobol largely inspired from the C pslib library. I have just finished to prepare the interface of the different methods and write a few methods. Teh generation of postscript file could then be: invoke PSDoc "PSOpenFile" using z"myfile.ps" invoke PSDoc "PSMoveTo" using x, y invoke PSDoc "PSLineTo" using ... invoke PSDoc "PSCircle" using .... etc... which is - to me at least! - ea...

Need Cups-PDF to actually create PDF not Postscript
From: CUPS 127.0.0.1:631 Description: Cups-PDF Location: RN Printer Driver: Generic postscript color printer rev4 Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published. Device URI: cups-pdf:/ Hi All, I am using CentOS 5.5. I installed cups-pdf-2.4.6-1.el5.i386.rpm and now have the nicest CUPS to Postscript printer. Okay, I need that to use with HylaFAX, but I also need a print to PDF (not Postscript). What did I do wrong? Many thanks, -T On 2010-06-05, Todd <todd@invalid.com> wrote: > From: CUPS 127.0.0.1:631 > Description: Cups-PDF > Location: RN > Printer...

PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer?
Hi everyone! I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Thanks for being here! Stu "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my > WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > > > Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/ In article <Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 > system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Adobe Acrobat. "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 > system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about the Epson PS software for non-PS printers...long before Acrobat. You people are great. I enjoy coming here. Stu Unknown wrote: > "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in > ...

Postscript to PDF forms
I have an application that creates Postscript files for printing. It also optionally converts these to PDF using Ghostscript so that the documents can be emailed rather than printed and snail-mailed. The application writes a pdfmark DOCINFO command into the Postscript so that Ghostscript adds PDF file properties such as Creator, Title, Subject, Keywords and Author. I'd like to extend this to create a PDF Form with two text fields. Adobe's pdfmark manual suggests it is possible to add something in the Postscript to create PDF-form text-fields that the recipient can fill in using Adobe Reader. Adobe's example looks a bit complicated. Can Ghostscript handle this? Does anyone know of a simpler example? -- RGB RedGrittyBrick wrote: > > I have an application that creates Postscript files for printing. It > also optionally converts these to PDF using Ghostscript so that the > documents can be emailed rather than printed and snail-mailed. > > The application writes a pdfmark DOCINFO command into the Postscript so > that Ghostscript adds PDF file properties such as Creator, Title, > Subject, Keywords and Author. > > I'd like to extend this to create a PDF Form with two text fields. > > Adobe's pdfmark manual suggests it is possible to add something in the > Postscript to create PDF-form text-fields that the recipient can fill in > using Adobe Reader. > > Adobe's example looks a bit compl...

postscript to postscript conversion (based on .ppd files)
Hi all, Is it possible to convert postscript content generated based on one ..ppd file to postscript specific to another .ppd file?? Thank you, Mohammed Riyaz P. ...

convert postscript to html
I've been rummaging around on the Internet looking for something that will convert postscript (.PS) files to HTML, but no luck. Anybody know of something that will convert postscript to HTML? Thanks, Leo On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:39:11 -0600, Emilio Echeverria staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I've been rummaging around on the Internet looking for something that > will convert postscript (.PS) files to HTML, but no luck. Anybody > know of something that will convert postscript to HTML? Doesn't exist. PostScript is a general-purpose printing language; you ca...

converting documents to postscript
I want to take documents uploaded with a from post and convert them for faxing through our hylafax. I know this can be done by printing to a win driver, but that only works for win machines, and we have suns, linux and macs too. I don't know how fax machines do I but I suppose they just take everything as a bitmap and convert it. Is that a possibility here or is it much more complex than that? All the major web fax operations can convert word and excel docs, so there must be some kind of trick to this..How can I convert any document (word, excel, html, plain text) to something that...

CUPS: Non postscript printer as postscript devide
hi all i just set up a linux server in my network that uses cups to print to a brother hl-5030 printer connected via network, using lpd. recently i installed the same printer on mac os x 10.3, finally a task too complicated for a mac user -- to download the ghostscript interpreter, the ppds etc, to use the web interface... so i thought: it would be much easier if i could advertise the printer per ipp as a postscript printer via my linux server -- so i could just select it. but since my brother printer does not support postscript by default, the linux server would have to emulate that. to v...

why postscript?
Hello, I am considering buying the Epson Stylus 3800 inkjet printer. This printer can be bought with Postscript support, and it comes with PC or MAC RIP. What is the advantage of postscript? Thanks, T.I. Talal Itani wrote: > Hello, > > I am considering buying the Epson Stylus 3800 inkjet printer. This printer > can be bought with Postscript support, and it comes with PC or MAC RIP. > What is the advantage of postscript? > > Thanks, > T.I. > > > I just looked at this printer and it's not Postscript based. It uses a Software RIP, which means the printer uses a proprietary language with a Software conversion from "PS to Proprietary". Unless you use Windows or a Mac, your SOL. Paul ...

software convert to postscript
I started a business in 1985 on the Mac using a program called JustText, by a man named Bill Bates. This program has proven indispensable, because it converts a text file, containing content with embedded typeset commands, like "{qr}", "{bt}", "{dc}" etc. It does a great job converting to postscript which can then be downloaded and printed. I have a 20-year-old business that relies on this conversion-to-Postscript process. Unfortunately, JustText never continued, and though I can still rely on it on my older computers, it moves toward imminent obsolescence as Apple leaves its old OS behind. Now I am looking for a replacement program, which I hope will operate in a similar enough manner that I can modify my programs to produce proper text files as content with similar embedded commands that can be converted with new software into postscript files for printing. I prefer using a Mac, but if there is only Windows software, I would use it. With that sketchy an explanation, can you possibly point me toward what you know of as the most likely solutions out there, that operate in a similar fashion? Thank you. -- I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X. You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo PLevine wrote: > I started a business in 1985 on the Mac using a program called > JustText, by a man named Bill Bates. This program has proven > indispensable, because it converts a text file, containing content > wit...

Converting postscript to ASCII
Hi, I'm looking for a program (or how to write a program) that will change a postscript file to ASCII. I've looked at the ps2ascii script that comes packaged with Ghostscript, and its output is acceptable on many postscript files. However, I find that it runs into problems when I encounter files with figures in them. Is there a way to filter out the figures from the postscript file before I start processing it? Or a different program that I should try? Otherwise, any advice on how I could write a program to attack this problem? -DT dbtung@berkeley.edu wrote: >I'm looking for a program (or how to write a program) that will change >a postscript file to ASCII. I've looked at the ps2ascii script that >comes packaged with Ghostscript, and its output is acceptable on many >postscript files. However, I find that it runs into problems when I >encounter files with figures in them. Is there a way to filter out the >figures from the postscript file before I start processing it? Or a >different program that I should try? This is a very difficult problem. In general, a figure might contain text, or a font might be used to fill in a pattern. How could any program know how to skip these? Also, some programs use re-encoded fonts that just come out as gobbledegook, no matter how good they look on the page. Other files might draw letters as shapes. ps2ascii is probably pretty much state of the art. Don't expect magic, flawless translatio...

Embed PDf in Postscript
This is a very preliminary question at this point, but is there any way to `embed' code in a postscript document that is only activated when distilled to a PDf? Alas, I fear that the answer is no, or else some of our packages would be written without the need for options specifying PS versus PDf specials. Even if it can be done in postscript, the next obvious question would be whether or not there's a way to get the result with TeX \specials passed through dvips. -- Brian Blackmore blb8 at po dot cwru dot edu On Sep 5, 5:32 pm, Brian Blackmore <b...@po.cwru.edu> wrote: > This is a very preliminary question at this point, but is there any way > to `embed' code in a postscript document that is only activated when > distilled to a PDf? Alas, I fear that the answer is no, or else some of > our packages would be written without the need for options specifying PS > versus PDf specials. > > Even if it can be done in postscript, the next obvious question would be > whether or not there's a way to get the result with TeX \specials passed > through dvips. > > -- > Brian Blackmore > blb8 at po dot cwru dot edu We could do with a clue as to what you want to do. There are methods for turning, for example, pstricks output into stand-alone eps files. These can then be converted to pdf for use with pdftex. Or there are packages such as pgf/tikz, which can work with either tex or pdftex. Joseph Wright Brian Blackmore sch...

Postscript and PDF-Files
Hi Folks, is there any module or other possibilty to convert postscript-files generated by the postscript-method of the canvas-widget into a pdf-file ??? Thanks Pit wrote: > Hi Folks, > > is there any module or other possibilty to convert postscript-files > generated by the postscript-method of the canvas-widget into a pdf-file > ??? > > Thanks You may use the ps2pdf program included in the ghostscript package from alladin software or a windows one called pdfwriter (search google for both) depending on the platform you use. rgds -- Johnn...

Web resources about - Converting PDF to Postscript - comp.lang.postscript

PastBook’s Filepicker.io Integration Eases Process Of Converting Facebook Content To Books
PastBook , one of several companies that allow Facebook users to publish their content on the social network in actual books , announced the ...

Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store on iTunes
Get Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

"Occupier" Thanked Former Soviet Citizen for "Converting" Him to Capitalism, Pro-Israel, Pro-USA - YouTube ...
May Day Demonstration on Union Square in New York City Zionism & Birth of Modern Israel in 1948: Former Soviet Citizen Pays Tribute to Ben-Gurion ...

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...