Formating output to separate postscript files

Hello,
 I need to take an interleaf/quicksilver file and convert it to postscript;
easy. My problem is that I need to break each page into a separate
postscript file. Anyone know of a utility that can do this?

Thanks,
Gregg

0
gpalmer1 (1)
5/5/2004 7:09:14 PM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Gregg Palmer" <gpalmer@cambridge-partners.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>  I need to take an interleaf/quicksilver file and convert it to
>  postscript;
> easy. My problem is that I need to break each page into a separate
> postscript file. Anyone know of a utility that can do this?

Some more information would be helpful.  What OS are you running on?  What
application creates the file?  What kind of information is on each page?
(Text, tables, illustrations, what?)  How do you decide which information
on each page goes to file #1 and which to #2?

On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:09:14 -0500, Gregg Palmer wrote:

> Hello,
>  I need to take an interleaf/quicksilver file and convert it to postscript;
> easy. My problem is that I need to break each page into a separate
> postscript file. Anyone know of a utility that can do this?

If you can produce a multi-page PostScript file, Ghostscript can split
it up for you so you don't have to manually hack the file.

Try something like,

gs -sDEVICE=psrgb -sOutputFile=Page%d.ps -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE LotsOfPages.ps

You could also hack around with the Postscript file without running
it through gs, if it's been set out properly. There'll be some utilities
around to do this automatically.

Cheers,
Dave
0
news8088 (6)

Bad quality of output postscript files in pdf format
Hello, I am just a beginner user of Octave. I had some script which I runn in Octave but the quality of graphioch is quieed low. It seams that the the tool is ploting the graphs at half areas pages making the graphs not clear. A part of script which I run if is below --------. Is there any command which can improve the quality of the graphs ? thank you in advance Kind Regards, Dashamir -------- % set plotting parameters based on number of devices ncol = length(head)-2; ndat = length(time); nplot = 5; nfig = ceil(ncol/nplot); % Get daily missing data measure for i=1:ncol ndata( : , i ) = misdat( data( : , i ), -99 , type ); end % convert minutes to days [ntime ndatev] = min2days(time, datev, 'm2d', type); ntime = unixtime2mat(ntime); % plot data plotcnt = 1; for j = 1 : nfig clf; for i = 1 : nplot subplot( nplot, 1, i ) bar( ntime, ndata( : , plotcnt ) ); datetick( "x" , 12, 'keepticks' ); st_time = ntime(1) - 10; % the -10 gives a bit more room to get the labels on ed_time = ntime( length(ntime) ) + 10; % for date tick...as it is a bit ropey axis( [ st_time ed_time 0 1 ] ); title( [ head( plotcnt+2 ).hname, ' : ' , head( plotcnt+2 ).info ] ); plotcnt++; if plotcnt > ncol; % catches when last plot does not have 5 data points break; end end orient tall; print( [ fn, '-dmd-'...

Printing Postscript Files on Postscript Printers
Most (all?) of the time when I print a postscript file on a colour postscript printer, if I tell the printer driver to print black and white it normally ignores me and prints in colour anyway. I presume it is just printing the postscript file as is and ignoring my instructions, is there a way to get round it and force it to print black and white. (It will allow me to scale down to print several pages on one page). Printers concerned Xerox Phaser 8200 over USB (Postscript 3) Canon CLC 950 via Fiery XJ over network (Postscript 2) -- Timothy Should work if you are not using a Mac, are you? ER "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote in message news:+K8ayEPNF8TDFwI8@town-village.demon.co.uk... > Most (all?) of the time when I print a postscript file on a colour > postscript printer, if I tell the printer driver to print black and white > it normally ignores me and prints in colour anyway. I presume it is just > printing the postscript file as is and ignoring my instructions, is there > a way to get round it and force it to print black and white. (It will > allow me to scale down to print several pages on one page). > > Printers concerned Xerox Phaser 8200 over USB (Postscript 3) > Canon CLC 950 via Fiery XJ over network (Postscript 2) > > -- > Timothy In article <+K8ayEPNF8TDFwI8@town-village.demon.co.uk>, "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote: >...

postscript to postscript conversion (based on .ppd files)
Hi all, Is it possible to convert postscript content generated based on one ..ppd file to postscript specific to another .ppd file?? Thank you, Mohammed Riyaz P. ...

Changing the title of a postscript output file
At the moment to keep track of my plots I include a tiny line of text that says what procedure/function made the plot and when, and the original filename. It's very useful for working out what produced a plot in a paper when I need to change it, which unfortunately seems quite often these days... Anyway, what I would really like to do is put this text in the PS file title rather than actually include it in the figure. Less zooming in etc... I do this after creation of the postscript file manually by editing the %%Title: field of the .ps file from %%Title: Graphics produced by IDL ...

postscript file and pdf file
Dear Sir: On web if I need to download an ariticle, most of them are pdf files, which I can open it through acroread program. Ocassionally, there are postscript files(ps files). I noticed the size of a ps file is very big, while pdf file is small. I am curious why some people use ps files, not pdf files. I know that it is very easy to use ps2pdf, pdf2ps to change between them. I am just wondering if there is any advantage for using postscript files. By the way, for printing a postscript file, the printer needs to be a postscript printer, right? Thank you very much. Best Regards, Xia...

Is this file really a postscript file ?
I cannot open the following file using gv on my linux debian box: http://www.netlib.no/netlib/anl-reports/tm96 Is this file corrutped ? Thanks -Mathieu Ref: http://www.netlib.no/netlib/anl-reports/ mathieu wrote: > I cannot open the following file using gv on my linux debian box: > > http://www.netlib.no/netlib/anl-reports/tm96 > > Is this file corrutped ? Ghostscript says "Error: /undefined in BeginDviLaserDoc" which, after looking at the file, seems a reasonable thing to say. Maybe this PS file was produced for a specific printer that has that function pr...

Convert PCL file to some other format (PostScript, PDF ...)
Hello, After a bit of searching, and several attempts with GS, I wonder if this is even possible without buying one of the commercial pcl2ps programs (around $500 for what I've seen so far). I followed this: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=75afaa04.0304211430.7f55bc06%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26q%3Dconvert%2BPCL%2Bfile%26btnG%3DSearch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Dcomp.os.linux.* and found a discussion that mentioned: convert PCL:foo.pcl PS:foo.ps This doesn't work, and seems to only ever work for HPGL (and not PCL). The n...

Add SCOPE_VARFETCH output, other tags into PostScript files
Hello IDL wizards, What I am imagining is an IDL routine I can call at the end of any routine that generates a PostScript output, that will add comment tags to the .eps file specifying some information that I can then 'grep' for. What I can't quite figure is how exactly to plant these tags in the PostScript file. When I look at the actual .eps files generated by IDL, they have this at the top: %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0 %%BoundingBox: 0 0 767 767 %%Title: Graphics produced by IDL %%For: hyer@cal, /users/hyer/idlpro/flambe %%Creator: IDL Version 7.0.8 (linux x86_64 m6...

How to specify output paper trays in PostScript files?
I have an application that creates PostScript output, where an attempt is made to specify the papertray the printer should select by using this command (with papertray 2 being specified here): statusdict /setpapertray known {statusdict begin 2 setpapertray end} if It doesn't work. * My printer is an HP LaserJet 5000N * It has an additional papertray, numbered "3" (1 is for the manual feed, fold-out tray; 2 is the built-in automatic-feed tray; 3 is the additional paper tray.) * Tray 2 is holding 8.5"x11" paper, and is set appropriately. * Tray 3 is holding 11&qu...

postscript output
Dear all, I have small problem in postscript output in IDL. In the plot window the Greek symbol(lambda) look fine but when trying to save that as in postscript. The symbol appear as alphabet rather then appearing as a Greek symbol(lambda). Does any one know how i can save postscript output with the same Greek symbol(lambda). thanks in advance ...

Files in Postscript
Hi! I'm trying to learn Poscript language but it's not easy because there aren's many resources in the www. I'd like to ask you about files. I have a .ps file and a I want to read a .txt file but I can't because I get an error and I don't know why. So what i'm doing is: %! /string1 128 string def /Helvetica findfont 9 scalefont setfont 250 750 moveto dados.txt string1 readline string1 show showpage The file I want to read is dados.txt and I get the error: Error:Undefined in datos.txt I tried to open the file using datos.txt r file but I get error too. I don...

PostScript file
How do I make a postscript file? And what is it good for? And will postscript file work for a Canon I550 printer? Jerry <nomail@verizon.net> wrote in news:kv3Re.11654$qg2.11152@trnddc05: > How do I make a postscript file? There are lots of ways. You can write one manually using a text editor, but it's easier to use a printer driver. For example, to make a ps file from a text document, print it from a text editor using a ps printer driver. > > And what is it good for? > Communicating to a ps-capable printer where to put the ink on the sheet of paper. &...

postscript files
In Maple 17 (standard interface, Windows 32 bit) the 3D postscript files obtained either with "Export" or generated directly seem to be very poor, unusable or simply wrong. In the Classical interface the situation is much better but it lacks some features. - Is the 64 bit Maple better for postscript? - Is there a workaround? Thank you, Victor In article <81bd63cb-4588-41f6-b24b-7e7f01d45012@googlegroups.com>, <victorvilmos@gmail.com> wrote: > In Maple 17 (standard interface, Windows 32 bit) > the 3D postscript files obtained either with "Expor...

Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript
I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that emulated PS printers are cheaper. What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server? When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts. This confuses me. -Why do they not mention the # of fo...

html files convert to postscript files
Hi, Sometimes I hope to print the web page. I either just print directly from web browser or save the page as foo.htm and print it later. But it is a little hard to read them, because they don't look like pdf files which are easy to read. Recetnly I learned that there is a program to convert html file to ps file (which of course can be converted from ps file to pdf file). After installation, the command is html2ps. I am wondering if it works well, if you have more information about it. Thank you very much. Best Regards, Xiaoshen Xiaoshen Li <xli6@gmu.edu> wrote: >Hi, ...

Embed formatting in PostScript output (via PS print driver)
Hey all, >From a Foxpro perspective, so bear with me... *smile* Hey all, We are heavily, heavily intertwined with old-school Foxpro printing involving @SAY and ??? commands (think of them as Foxpro versions of direct content piping) -- we send output directly to the printers that speak PCL (Printer Control Language). We even control tray output on our new Kyoceras that have finishers on them. In the PCL world, years and years have built a lot of code to format output. In the PCL world, one can boldface, italicize, and change text size by passing escape sequences with text. So, inste...

TIF files with clipping paths output to postscript in MS Publisher 2003
Hi, I am creating CMYK documents in Microsoft Publisher 2003 and outputting the job as a postscript file using Acrobat Distiller 3.0. I can import EPS files with clipping paths and the jobs output correctly. However, if I embed a clipping path within the alpha channel of a TIF file, Publisher imports the image with the clipping path intact but the postscript output puts a bounding box back on the image. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this? Thanks in advance. Dominic dominic.martin@dtrack.com (Dominic Martin) wrote: >Hi, > >I am creating CMYK documents in Microsoft ...

postscript
I have a graphic with gnuplot 4.4. At my file I change lw to 0.18. But when I obtain a file eps, my changes are lost. Why? I only like to change the my curves' linewidth, and not change axes' linewidth mfduqued wrote: > I have a graphic with gnuplot 4.4. At my file I change lw to 0.18. How, exactly, did you do that? Which terminal driver, and which commands did you use? > But when I obtain a file eps, my changes are lost. How did you determine that the change of line width didn't take effect? Note that line widths smaller than 1 may not make sense, ...

Postscript
Hello, I have been trying to find a library to make the production os postscript file easier from our cobol programs. Finally, I have begun to write a library in OO cobol largely inspired from the C pslib library. I have just finished to prepare the interface of the different methods and write a few methods. Teh generation of postscript file could then be: invoke PSDoc "PSOpenFile" using z"myfile.ps" invoke PSDoc "PSMoveTo" using x, y invoke PSDoc "PSLineTo" using ... invoke PSDoc "PSCircle" using .... etc... which is - to me at least! - ea...

postscript
I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small, but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this? thanks -C In a...

Windows service does not recognize additional installed postscript fonts (type 1) when creating postscript files (exceptions are windows standard Arial, Courier New, etc.)
Windows 2000 receives command line parameters over the Oracle Report Runtime (rwrun60.exe) to create the postscript files. If we send the statement directly from the server, the postscripts files are being created without any problems. If the call is triggert by an external procedure on an Oracle DB(8.1.7.4.1) the services takes the Windows standard fonts and does not recognize the additionally installed postscript fonts that have been used by the Oracle Report. The external procedure is in an shared library. A service named EXTPROC (External Procedure Listener) loads this library dynamical...

Creating a movie file from a set of postscript files.
I have a bunch of eps files that represent the time evolution of a solution to the diffusion PDE. I can show them in rapid succession, which makes it look like a movie, but I'd like to be able to turn them into a native movie format. So, the problem statement is: Suppose I have a bunch of eps / ps files. Is there any way to string the files together to create a movie file of some sort (like an mpg or avi)? Thanks! Pete Peter Salzman wrote: > I have a bunch of eps files that represent the time evolution of a > solution to the diffusion PDE. I can show them in rapid succession, ...

Convert a Postscript format into jpg/tif/bitmat format
Hello there ! How can I convert a postscript format to a jpg/tif/bitmap/pdf format ? Thanks Shmuel On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 at 20:56 GMT, Shmuel Orgad wrote: > Hello there ! > > How can I convert a postscript format to a jpg/tif/bitmap/pdf format ? If it's not already installed, install imagemagick, then: convert file.ps file.pdf convert file.ps file.jpg -- Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org =================================================================== My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2003, Chris F.A. Johnson ...

print PDF file from command line to postscript file
How do I print a PDF file from the command line so that: 1. It prints only page 34 and nothing else. 2. Prints page 34 to a PostScript called "34.ps" I would like to script this so that I can run it from an VT100 terminal. In article <b184cb3d.0404221743.7730ed01@posting.google.com>, luther wrote: > How do I print a PDF file from the command line so that: > > 1. It prints only page 34 and nothing else. > 2. Prints page 34 to a PostScript called "34.ps" > > I would like to script this so that I can run it from an VT100 terminal. ...

Web resources about - Formating output to separate postscript files - comp.lang.postscript

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Pitch Perfect 2 is an encore, a postscript, and a fresh start all at once
The movie sometimes feels like half a season of Pitch Perfect: The Series edited down to feature length.

Postscript from Albany at Johns Hopkins
Postscript from Albany at Johns Hopkins

Sunday Classics postscript: Poor Arthur Sullivan never knew how well he had succeeded as a "serious" ...
... waste your time and mine with bad performances, but at some point we may have to do it. I thought about doing it again for this little "postscript," ...