Ghostscript converting pdf problem

When attempting to create an image from a pdf file, instead of
creating the output file, data is sent to the printer. Why?

Here's my command line:

C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop>"c:\program files\gs\gs9.00\bin
\gs
win32c" -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=png16m -dPrinted=false -
sOutputfile='c:\yadda
1.png' xl1.pdf

Thanks very much.
0
jpcarter1 (7)
10/12/2010 8:58:19 PM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Oct 12, 3:58=A0pm, johnniec <jpcart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When attempting to create an image from a pdf file, instead of
> creating the output file, data is sent to the printer. Why?
>
> Here's my command line:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop>"c:\program files\gs\gs9.00\bin
> \gs
> win32c" -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=3Dpng16m -dPrinted=3Dfalse -
> sOutputfile=3D'c:\yadda
> 1.png' xl1.pdf
>
> Thanks very much.

I've never heard of -dPrinted.
I'd recommend adding the gs/bin to your path to avoid all that typing
and quoting. It looks like you may have a space between the hyphen
and sOutputfile. It it were me, I'd try somehow to stick to
directories and files without spaces in them. It's difficult to
see what the problem may be without seeing the output, unwrapped.
I'm also not sure how whatever-os-this-is interprets single quotes.

If you do have a space between the hyphen and sOutputFile (should be
a big 'F', too, btw), then hyphen is interpreted to mean "read the
standard input file first before any other files mentioned further
on in the command line", sOutputfile=3Dwhatever could be interpreted
by shell to set a variable (maybe?) or ghostscript could see the
whole thing and look for a file by that name (it would probably
display an error message if this was the case).

To sum up, spaces and quoting are confusing the situation.
Get rid of them somehow.
Make sure the hyphen for an option is touching the rest of the
option.
Copy more of the session transcript (including any and all messages
ghostscript prints to the screen).

And what's your source for this -dPrinted option?

--
lxt
0
On Oct 12, 10:08=A0pm, luserXtrog <mijo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 3:58=A0pm, johnniec <jpcart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When attempting to create an image from a pdf file, instead of
> > creating the output file, data is sent to the printer. Why?
>
> > Here's my command line:
>
> > C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop>"c:\program files\gs\gs9.00\bin
> > \gs
> > win32c" -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=3Dpng16m -dPrinted=3Dfalse -
> > sOutputfile=3D'c:\yadda
> > 1.png' xl1.pdf
>
> > Thanks very much.
>
> I've never heard of -dPrinted.
> I'd recommend adding the gs/bin to your path to avoid all that typing
> and quoting. It looks like you may have a space between the hyphen
> and sOutputfile. It it were me, I'd try somehow to stick to
> directories and files without spaces in them. It's difficult to
> see what the problem may be without seeing the output, unwrapped.
> I'm also not sure how whatever-os-this-is interprets single quotes.
>
> If you do have a space between the hyphen and sOutputFile (should be
> a big 'F', too, btw), then hyphen is interpreted to mean "read the
> standard input file first before any other files mentioned further
> on in the command line", sOutputfile=3Dwhatever could be interpreted
> by shell to set a variable (maybe?) or ghostscript could see the
> whole thing and look for a file by that name (it would probably
> display an error message if this was the case).
>
> To sum up, spaces and quoting are confusing the situation.
> Get rid of them somehow.
> Make sure the hyphen for an option is touching the rest of the
> option.
> Copy more of the session transcript (including any and all messages
> ghostscript prints to the screen).
>
> And what's your source for this -dPrinted option?
>
> --
> lxt

Thanks very much for helping me solve the problem. The problem was I
had:
-sOutputfile
When it should have been:
-sOutputFile

This is on Windows XP.  Also, it didn't like the single quotes
but is perfectly happy with double quotes.  Once the first
problem was fixed I got a reasonable response that made the
quotes obvious.

Minor rant: Ghostscript could have done much better by
parsing the command line and responding with a warning on
anything it can't interpret or anything that doesn't make
sense.
0
jpcarter1 (7)
10/13/2010 12:59:27 PM
In article <00cc638a-222a-4f75-84b7-5a583e3e80f8
@n7g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, jpcarter1@gmail.com says...

> Minor rant: Ghostscript could have done much better by
> parsing the command line and responding with a warning on
> anything it can't interpret or anything that doesn't make
> sense.

Can't be done. The command line can and does contain aribtrary
PostScript. Even the -d/-s switches merely set values in PostScript
dictionaries which are only used when the relevant device wants them.

So you can type -sYADAYADAYA=NOTHING without getting an error, but
unless you have a device which reads an entry called /YADAYADAYADA from
systemdict, nothing will happen. Of course the entry is still there, and
you can write a PostScript program which interrogates it and uses the
value.

So these forms of switches can't be verified.

			Ken
0
ken161 (742)

problem converting the postscript file to pdf using ghostscript
i have a post script file which has four pagees three pages are in Potrait and the fourth is landscape when i run command this command "gswin32c -q -dLOCALFONTS -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dAutoRotatePages=/None -sOutputFile=c:\S100834431_GScript_6.pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -c ..setpdfwrite -f C:\S100834431.ps" it generates a pdf file i get the first three pages correct but the fourth page which was landscape is not displayed properly pls help me ...

Problems converting PDF to PDF/A with ghostscript
I am running Ghostscript 8.71 on Windows. I have tried just about every combination of switches and ICC profiles. The command that seems to work the best is as follows: gswin32 -dPDFA -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOOUTERSAVE -dUseCIEColor - sProcessColorModel=DeviceCMYK -sDEVICE=pdfwrite - sOutputFile=out_pdfa.pdf input_pdf.pdf This yields a seemingly valid PDF/A-1b (CMYK) for most files. I am able to open the files in acrobat and successfully validate the conformity of the document to the aforementioned PDF/A standard. Certain files do not pass the PDF/A conformity validation in Acrobat, despite the note in Acrobat stating the file is being viewed in PDF/A mode. The preflight test reports the following error: CIDset in subset font is incomplete ArialBoldItalicMT 14.112 pt TrueType (CID) embedded (as a subset) If I convert the offensive input_pdf.pdf file using Acrobat by printing to the Adobe PDF printer and selecting the PDF/A-1b (CMYK) standard the output PDF passes the preflight without any errors. Does anyone have any suggestions for consistently producing valid PDF/ A-1b (CMYK) documents with Ghostscript? Cheers! In article <6cfcdbba-47de-4be1-8e93- 1d4255ab0ebf@t2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, brent.m.edwards@gmail.com says... > I am running Ghostscript 8.71 on Windows. I have tried just about > every combination of switches and ICC profiles. The command that seems > to work the best is as follows: > > gswin32 -dPDFA -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOOUTERSA...

Compression Problem for PS to PDF Convert with GSView4.5 + Ghostscript 8.11
I am having difficulty compressing files during a MS Word to .prn (postscript file) to PDF conversion when using GSView 4.5 and Ghostscript 8.11. I can create PDF files themselves without a problem, but regardless of what settings I use in the GSView 4.5 Convert window, the PDF file size is the same. I start by taking a MS Word document and then printing it to a .prn file using an HP postscript driver. I then open it up in GSView 4.5 and <Convert> then <pdfwrite>. In the Convert window I have a number of resolution choices (72, 300, 600, 720), but I don't get a file size difference between files that are supposed to be converted at 72 and 720. When I try to adjust the Properties (Compatability Level, CompressPages, UseFlateCompression) it won't "remember" the settings. For example, I could set CompressPages to "true", then click <OK>, but if I then open the Properties window again to re-confirm the settings I can see that they have reset themselves to "default". I also tried editting the settings to force it to remember that I selected compatability 1.4 and CompressPages true, which it does "remember" when I open the Properties window again, but still I don't see any difference in the resulting PDFs' file sizes. The file I'm testing it with is a mostly text MS Word '97 document that has a couple pages with some near-full page greyscale .jpgs. [I am thrilled just to be able to create PDF...

Converting PDF to Postscript
Hi, Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript? If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a command line with no interaction? Thanks -Howard On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Howard Webb wrote: > Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript? Yes. pdf2ps is a script that will use gs to do this conversion. > If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a > command line with no interaction? But a better conversion is usually obtained by using pdftops which is bundled with xpdf (or poppler-utils in some Linux distributions). Bob T. In article <slrnh71e7n.3gp.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, BobT@cs.queensu.ca says... > On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Howard Webb wrote: > > > Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript? > > Yes. pdf2ps is a script that will use gs to do this conversion. The pdf2ps script uses the pswrite device, a level 1 PostScript output device. You will get better results (considerably better) by using the ps2write device, which outputs level 2 PostScript instead. Unless you require DSC conformance or level 1 output you should use ps2write instead. The ps2ps2 script will do this and despite the name works for PDF input as well as PostScript input. Ken On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:18:01 +0100, ken wrote: > In article <slrnh71e7n.3gp.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, BobT@cs.quee...

convert from PDF to postscript
We are creating PDF files in our application and storing them, but we must also print them. I have it narrowed down to executing LPR from the application. Sample postscript files printed OK with this command, so I need to convert PDF files to postscript. I've been looking for something to do this and can't find it. I found such things as a2ps and pdf2ps but no java implementation of these. Help is desperately needed converting PDF to PS for printing. hanks "David McDivitt" <x12code-del@del-yahoo.com> wrote in message news:vhvfv0p0ot5lnl236cefdvc61fdvno5cbj@4ax.com......

PostScript to Troff Converter (*Not Troff to PostScript Converter*)
Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? Here's where I'm going with this... There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS ou= tput, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The inp= ut file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by a = script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a c= onverted to a PDF for delivery. I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText o= n my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possibl= e to convert PS to troff input... On Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:07:22 PM UTC-5, gjwat...@gmail.com wrote: > Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file? >=20 > Here's where I'm going with this... >=20 > There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS. Using the PS = output, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file. The i= nput file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by = a script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a= converted to a PDF for delivery. >=20 > I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText= on my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possi= ble to convert PS to troff input... I've never heard of such a utility and I think i...

Ghostscript to Convert PDF to BMP?
Anyone with experience using Ghostscript to Convert PDF to BMP? I use variations on the following command line but the problem is how to come up with a bmp that accurately reflects the content of the PDF, especially when it is text. Images are an issue also, but I am looking to make a bmp that is as readable as possible. Any suggestions on settings to try or even an alternative toolkit? Thanks. gswin32c.exe -sOutputFile="Test.bmp" -sDEVICE=bmp256 -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -dLastPage=1 -r300 -g400x170 -dPDFFitPage -dBATCH "Test.pdf" -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com I should have mentioned that we are scaling these documents DOWN to maybe 400 x 170 or so. "Mark Kolenski" <mkolenski@omtool.com> wrote in message news:455cad42$0$21101$88260bb3@free.teranews.com... > Anyone with experience using Ghostscript to Convert PDF to BMP? I use > variations on the following command line but the problem is how to come up > with a bmp that accurately reflects the content of the PDF, especially > when > it is text. Images are an issue also, but I am looking to make a bmp that > is as readable as possible. Any suggestions on settings to try or even an > alternative toolkit? Thanks. > > gswin32c.exe -sOutputFile="Test.bmp" -sDEVICE=bmp256 -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 > -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -dLastPage=1 -r300 -g400x170 -dPDFFitPage -dBATCH > &...

Font problem converting PDF...
I'm trying to use Ghostscript 8.54 to convert a PDF file to a JPEG. However, when I run this command: gs -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=outfile.jpg -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH infile.pdf This gives me an error dump (see end of this message). Has anyone seen this before? Based on experimentation, I think the problem may have something to do with the fact that there's an embedded OpenType Futura font in the PDF. Does something special need to be done to get Ghostscript to properly use embedded fonts? Do I need to change something in my Fontmap files? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Output of command: GPL Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17) Copyright (C) 2006 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved. This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details. Processing pages 1 through 1. Page 1 Error: /rangecheck in --string-- Operand stack: --dict:5/5(L)-- 1 F0 62 --dict:6/6(L)-- --dict:6/6(L)-- FuturaStd-Condensed-Identity-H --dict:11/12(ro)(G)-- --nostringval-- --dict:6/6(L)-- 375 --dict:6/6(L)-- --dict:5/6(L)-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 767 -13716 Execution stack: %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 1 1 --nostringval-- %for_pos_int_continue --nostringval-...

convert PDF to Postscript by javascript
I need to convert PDF to Postscript files: I know that my Acrobat 5 give me the possibility to save a PDF in Postscript but I would like to create a Javascript to have this thing in batch. I tried to modify an existing batch sequence and obtained this code <</Commands [/c <<>>] /Input [/c << /FileVariation [/i 2] /SourceFileOptions [/c <<>>] >>] /Output [/c << /AddToBaseName [/b false] /DontOverwrite [/b false] /FileVariation [/i 0] /HandlerUniqueID [/s (com.adobe.acrobat.ps)] /InsertAfterBaseName [/t ()] /InsertBeforeBaseName [/t ()] /O...

OPro/ Postscript/ PDF problem
Hi all, I never know where the problem might lie with these things, so I'll just cover all my bases: using Ovation Pro 2.74, PoScript2 printer driver supplied with RISC OS 5.08 and !ps2pdf v.004 I have some problems converting an ovation pro file to a pdf. The OPro file and my pdf attempt are zipped up here: http://www.sendu.me.uk/postings/pdfproblem.zip (~2MB) Firstly, the OPro file uses a non-standard font 'andale'. When the pdf is viewed under a RISC OS viewer like !PDF text in andale doesn't get anti-aliased (eg. first word, third paragraph, first page of pdf). If it'...

ghostscript: Converting only a page of a PDF
Hi, I just downloaded ghostscript 8.54 for my Fedora Core 6 Linux system. Is there a way from the command line to convert only a single page of a PDF file to a JPEG? What I'm ideally after is, if I have a 5 page PDF, to have 5 JPG files, one for each page of the PDF. Thanks for any advice in this arena, - Dave "laredotornado" <laredotornado@zipmail.com> wrote in message news:<ba1a6020-8e51-406b-8035-4fe5acaaeb22@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>... > Hi, > > I just downloaded ghostscript 8.54 for my Fedora Core 6 Linux system. > Is there a way from the command line to convert only a single page of > a PDF file to a JPEG? > > What I'm ideally after is, if I have a 5 page PDF, to have 5 JPG > files, one for each page of the PDF. There are two ways to accomplish what you have requested using Ghostscript. If you want to convert a multipage PDF file into multiple jpeg files then you can use "%d" as part of the output file name specification. I. e. gs -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=output%d.jpg input.pdf -c quit If you want to select a range of pages from a PDF file then use the -dFirstPage and -dLastPage switches. I. e. to select only page 5: gs -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=page5.jpg -dFirstPage=5 -dLastPage=5 input.pdf -c quit Both of these methods are described in the doc/Use.htm file that came with your Ghostscript distribution. >>>>> "laredotornado" =3D=3D laredotornado <laredot...

Converting to PDF-creating problem
Hi, I want to convert MS Office files to PDF. I'm calling a java program through a servlet for this. But a blank PDF file is created. CODE: package pack; import java.awt.print.PageFormat; import java.awt.print.Printable; import java.awt.print.PrinterJob; import java.io.FileInputStream; import javax.print.Doc; import javax.print.DocFlavor; import javax.print.PrintService; import javax.print.PrintServiceLookup; import javax.print.SimpleDoc; import javax.print.attribute.DocAttributeSet; import javax.print.attribute.DocAttribute; import javax.print.attribute.HashDocAttributeSet; import javax....

problem converting eps to pdf
ok, here it is i'm creating eps files with tecplot and trying to convert them in pdf with the epstopdf util (i'm using windows). Ghostscript 8.12 is installed. Every time i try the conversion, there's a problem of bounding boxes. An error is returned and the final pdf has a A4 format instead of the original eps size. Is there a solution for this ? ps : i've tried to open the eps directly on ghostveiw 4.5, and with the correct option i can see the right eps bounding box. But when i try to export it gives me the same result : pdf in a4 format. ...

Size problem with GSview converting to PDF
Hi All.. I am using GSView v 4.4 and it wokrs great for converting an MS Word document to PDF - but one small problem. The actual document size seems to be slightly smaller once converted. - e.g. I am doing ad copy for a newspaper in MS Wordfor a specific size (3.5x 4.5 inches). I print the document to a PS file using HP Color laser Jet 5500 PS print driver and then use GSView to convert to a PDF. The printed PDF version is just slightly smaller than the version printed directly from MS Word. Is there a way to adjust the sizing onthe conversion? Any assistance would be appreciated. As I have a time constraint to get something ready for tomorrow, you can also email any suggestions to me at d.melnyk@sympatico.ca Best regards, Dave Melnyk "Dave Melnyk" <d.melnyk@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:ouzHd.48710$W33.1115796@news20.bellglobal.com... > Hi All.. > > I am using GSView v 4.4 and it wokrs great for converting an MS Word > document to PDF - but one small problem. The actual document size seems to > be slightly smaller once converted. - e.g. I am doing ad copy for a > newspaper in MS Wordfor a specific size (3.5x 4.5 inches). I print the > document to a PS file using HP Color laser Jet 5500 PS print driver and then > use GSView to convert to a PDF. The printed PDF version is just slightly > smaller than the version printed directly from MS Word. Is there a way to > adjust the sizing onthe conversion? Any assistanc...

Ghostscript/Imagemagick PDF thumbnail problem
If I run: convert -resize 120 /home/username/public_html/upload_dir/test.pdf[0] -sharpen 2x2 /home/username/public_html/upload_dir/thumb-test.jpg from the command line I get: **** Warning: An error occurred while reading an XREF table. **** The file has been damaged. This may have been caused **** by a problem while converting or transfering the file. **** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data. **** Warning: There are objects with matching object and generation **** numbers. The accuracy of the resulting image is unknown. **** Warning: Fonts with Subtype = /TrueType should be embedded. But Georgia-Bold is not embedded. **** Warning: Fonts with Subtype = /TrueType should be embedded. But Georgia is not embedded. **** Warning: Fonts with Subtype = /TrueType should be embedded. But ArialMT is not embedded. **** This file had errors that were repaired or ignored. **** The file was produced by: **** >>>> Acrobat Distiller 7.0 (Windows) <<<< **** Please notify the author of the software that produced this **** file that it does not conform to Adobe's published PDF **** specification. but it still works and creates the thumbnail of the PDF. If I run: $result1 = exec("convert -resize 120 /home/username/public_html/upload_dir/test.pdf[0] -sharpen 2x2 /home/username/public_html/upload_dir/thumb-test.jpg") in PHP it fails with this ...

Convert to PDF (without PostScript) -- How is it Possible?
When someone explained to me what a PDF is, I came to understand that a PDF is essentially a "distilled" PostScript file. So to create one, you need to "print" to a PostScript printer driver, then "distill" the resulting postscript file with a PostScript interpreter, like Acrobat Distiller or Ghostscript. But OpenOffice can convert to PDF without PostScript. It just does it, and I can't imagine how. WordPerfect Office Suite has "Publish to PDF." You just click and a PDF happens. And there are other programs that perform similarly. None of ...

convert jpg to pdf: resolution problem?
Hello all, I'm wondering how to control the resolution of PDF when converting something to a PDF. (Actually, I'm not sure if I'm asking a right question in the first place. . . .) I'm using the "convert" command of "ImageMagick 5.4.4 04/05/02" on Debian Linux 3.0r5. When you convert a PostScript file containing a bitmap image, the image in the resultant PDF seems to have a lower resolution than the original in the PostScript. (The image in the PDF is blurred.) But, if you convert the PostScript to a PDF using the "ps2pdf" command, which comes with "GNU Ghostscript 6.53 (2002-02-13)", the image in the PDF is as crisp as the original. Well, you might say, "Use ps2pdf, then." :) Yes, but 1) I'm curious as to who decides the resolution when and why (Why does the convert dommand decide to "reduce" the resolution?). When I use some application such as MS Word and save the result as a PDF, I don't remember being asked to specify the resolution. If resolution matters, why am I not asked to specify it? 2) it would be nice if you can use a single command to do every image conversion. The "convert" command is close to that. Thank you, Ryo ...

Convert postscript to PDF or text in OSX
I understand that you can convert postscript files to pdf using some command line utility built into OSX. (When i was reading about PStill http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/3629 an Adobe Distill type of program for OSX $70. But the command is free.) What command do i use? % man pdf returned nothing. I actually want to convert postscript files to the simple text format. They are all text, columns and rows of names and numbers. The idea is to get test scores with associated ID#s into a spreadsheet. The text returned will have spaces instead of tabs so it will be clumb...

Convert mdi to pdf: problem with the colours
Hi, i convert a mdi file to pdf using wether pdfcreator or pdf995, I end up with the same problem, the coulours in pdf are with withe lines across (verticaly and horizontaly)... How come ? (a information the mdi file comes itself from Quark Express, i go through mdi beacuse when i do from xpress to pdf, it's all black and white) Thanks Mat Hi Mat, Try the evaluation version of PDF-XChange - its pretty good at this sort of conversion. www.docu-track.com/PDFX3.zip or download latest Releases http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/ -- Best Regards John Verbeeten Tracker Software Prod...

convert PS to PDF via Ghostscript
Hi, I'm having an unusual problem, and I don't understand what's going on. Hopefully, this isn't too off-topic for this NG. I've got a PS file generated from a LaTeX dvi file using dvips. The LaTeX file uses the package times.sty (hopefully this will be familiar to some in this newsgroup). I'm trying to convert the file to PDF via GSview 4.4 (using Ghostscript 7.06). If I use the default CompatibilityLevel of 1.2 in the conversion, then in the resulting PDF file, any text that is emphasized (i.e., in italics, by using \emph in LaTeX) looks "subscripted...

WinEDT/Miktex problem to convert to PDF
I am using WinEDT and Miktex, and am recently having trouble converting to a pdf document. I was running the same document on another computer and everything was working-I moved and reinstalled the programs, and now I am not able to get a pdf document. I can compile (in LaTeX, not TeX) and get a dvi. I can also convert dvi to ps. Though when I try to convert ps2pdf I get an error (\undefinedfilename in (\(MSc thesis\)). What is also different between running it on my newest installation is that I do not have a ps2pdf button on the WinEDT tool bar. I tried to insert one by going to Menu Setup -- double clicking on accessories - inserting macro ps2pdf - and assigning it to the appropriate button. Though, when I try to use the button, a file open window pops up, to open a WinEDT macro file (and there are none). I have also tried to convert to pdf using the pdflatex command. This produces a pdf document, though all my graphs and references have errors (and therefore are missing in the final document). This is my first time using the message board, so let me know if I need to give more details. Thanks, Mary I remember seeing a similar message a while ago. If you're the first time user, I recommend to search the group first. There is always a chance somebody else already ran into the same problem. Sorry can't help with more than that since I'm not using WinEDT, though I do use Miktex. mwallerwpdb@yahoo.com wrote: > I am using WinEDT and Miktex, and am rec...

PDF problems: cannot convert, or printout messed up
Often, my mac (Mac OS X 10.4.4) cannot convert Postscript files correctly. It tries to convert and open it, but then Preview.app fails to actually open it. For example, with this ps file: http://www.vxu.se/msi/~nivre/papers/mbdp.ps With many other PDF files, the printout is just messed up: Capital letters in headings would be missing, or parts of mathematical equations would not appear. Is there a solution? Thanks! Markus Markus Dehmann wrote: > Often, my mac (Mac OS X 10.4.4) cannot convert Postscript files > correctly. It tries to convert and open it, but then Preview.app fails...

Problem converting word doc into PDF
I am using Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional edition under Windows 2000 which works fine to convert documents into PDF format. Recently, however, it is failing to convert MS-Word documents into PDF. When I try and do that, the document opens up briefly in Microsoft word after which there is no pdf file generated. The acrodist.exe process does start and remains in memory even. Does any one know how to resolve this conversion problem? Thanks Jai ...

Re: ghostscript: Converting only a page of a PDF
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:53:07 -0800 (PST), laredotornado wrote: > I just downloaded ghostscript 8.54 for my Fedora Core 6 Linux system. > Is there a way from the command line to convert only a single page of > a PDF file to a JPEG? > > What I'm ideally after is, if I have a 5 page PDF, to have 5 JPG > files, one for each page of the PDF. Use pdftk to break out individual pages; then convert to jpg. (jpg? why would that be suitable unless it's an image?) Bob T. On Feb 4, 4:02=A0pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote: > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:53:07 -0800 (PST),laredotornadowrote: > > =A0> I just downloaded ghostscript 8.54 for my Fedora Core 6 Linux system.= > =A0> Is there a way from the command line to convert only a single page of= > =A0> a PDF file to a JPEG? > =A0> > =A0> What I'm ideally after is, if I have a 5 page PDF, to have 5 JPG > =A0> files, one for each page of the PDF. > > Use pdftk to break out individual pages; then convert to jpg. (jpg? why > would that be suitable unless it's an image?) > > Bob T. We are converting to JPG b/c we want to display a smaller version of those pages on the web and possibly overlay other images (that of a binding, like you might find in a notebook or tabs) on top of it. I am open to suggestions on better ways to do this. Maybe you're right and JPG isn't the best route. Thank you also Dan, for your answer. That d...

Web resources about - Ghostscript converting pdf problem - comp.lang.postscript

Ghostscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ghostscript is a suite of software based on an interpreter for Adobe Systems ' PostScript and Portable Document Format (PDF) page description ...

Ghostscript 9.0 supports ICC profiles
... also supports ICC colour profiles and allows third-party Colour Management Modules (CMMs) to be integrated The developers have released Ghostscript ...

Bill Casselman's course page
PostScript is an interpreted language originally intended for use in printers.It can be used for many tasks involving complicatedgraphics, and ...

GhostPCL, GhostPDF, and GhostXPS
GhostPCL is Artifex Software's implementation of the PCL-5™ and PCL-XL™ family of page description languages. For more information please see ...

FileOptimizer can compress 33 different formats
... The program is essentially a front end for a host of other tools. Present it with a PDF file, say, and behind the scenes it’ll call up Ghostscript ...

The comet is here: Icaros 1.4 has been released!
We are really excited to announce the immediate availability of the new "point release" of Icaros Desktop, the most known distribution of the ...

Coders at Work: L Peter Deutsch
A prodigy, L Peter Deutsch started programming in the late ’50s, at age 11, when his father brought home a memo about the programming of design ...

Commands tagged mate - commandlinefu.com
Great UNIX/Bash commands tagged with mate - see these and many other invaluable command-line nuggets at commandlinefu.com

Cygwin Gold Stars
Cygwin Install Cygwin Update Cygwin Search Packages Licensing Terms Cygwin/X Community Reporting Problems Mailing Lists Newsgroups Gold Stars ...

World atlas of Flickr geotaggers is maptastic
The maps are ordered by the number of pictures taken in the central cluster of each one. This is a little unfair to aggressively polycentric ...