If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript?

I know that I can use a Fontmap file to map it, but I'd rather not....

0
rpresser (229)
1/18/2007 3:47:14 PM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Ross Presser wrote:

> I know that I can use a Fontmap file to map it, but I'd rather not....

What was the question? Oh, you wrote it only in the Subject and
forgot to ask in the body of your posting.

The PostScript name is stored in the 'name' table.
http://developer.apple.com/textfonts/TTRefMan/RM06/Chap6name.html
In article <1169135234.543684.239990@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Ross Presser" <rpresser@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that I can use a Fontmap file to map it, but I'd rather not...
Don't you need to put an entry in the Fontmap file anyway ?

At any rate, I came across a similar problem a few GS release back (I
wanted to populate the Fontmap with the proper name...)

I simply associated the TTF file to a /Dummy fontname in Fontmap and
then called 'findfont' for that dummy name. Recent versions of GS shows
you a message that gives the expected PS name ("Using ThisFontPSName
font for Dummy")
This does not seem to work for large (?) fonts. For instance, the 6+
Megabytes "MS Gothic" found in MS Office 2004 Test Drive on my Mac
errors out on GS 8.54 with a /rangecheck in --string--, having a 90000+
value on top of operand stack)

Otherwise, parsing the TTF tables is another possibility.

Fran�ois Robert
0
moc.sysinu (216)
1/18/2007 8:00:59 PM
On 18 Jan 2007 07:47:14 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:

 >|If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript?

You can use a font-editing program such as fontforge to get that
information. Or use a program like ttf2afm to generate an afm file
(text) and then look at it.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
1/18/2007 8:05:09 PM
Bob Tennent wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2007 07:47:14 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:
>
>  >|If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript?
>
> You can use a font-editing program such as fontforge to get that
> information. Or use a program like ttf2afm to generate an afm file
> (text) and then look at it.
>
> Bob T.

Thanks. Fontforge was the answer. It's even scriptable:

#!/usr/local/bin/fontforge
i=1
while ( i<$argc )
  Open($argv[i])
  Print("file '",$curfont:t,"' Postscript name= '",$fontname,"' Full
font name= '",$fullname,"'")
  i = i+1
endloop

0
rpresser (229)
1/19/2007 5:04:20 PM
On 19 Jan 2007 09:04:20 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:

 > Bob Tennent wrote:
 >> On 18 Jan 2007 07:47:14 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:
 >>
 >>  >|If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript?
 >>
 >> You can use a font-editing program such as fontforge to get that
 >> information. Or use a program like ttf2afm to generate an afm file
 >> (text) and then look at it.
 >
 > Thanks. Fontforge was the answer.

ttf2afm is also an answer:

  % ttf2afm xxx.ttf | grep FontName

or

  % ttf2afm xxx.ttf | grep FullName

which are trivially scriptable.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
1/19/2007 6:02:31 PM
Bob Tennent wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2007 09:04:20 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:
>  >
>  > Bob Tennent wrote:
>  >> On 18 Jan 2007 07:47:14 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  >|If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript?
>  >>
>  >> You can use a font-editing program such as fontforge to get that
>  >> information. Or use a program like ttf2afm to generate an afm file
>  >> (text) and then look at it.
>  >
>  > Thanks. Fontforge was the answer.
>
> ttf2afm is also an answer:
>
>   % ttf2afm xxx.ttf | grep FontName
>
> or
>
>   % ttf2afm xxx.ttf | grep FullName
>
> which are trivially scriptable.

You expect me to take scripting advice from someone who uses csh?

Just kidding. I do bear a grudge against csh, but none against csh
users. :)

Seriously, though, I already had fontforge in use, for conversions from
Mac to Windows, so I stuck with that.

0
rpresser (229)
1/19/2007 6:15:11 PM
On 19 Jan 2007 10:15:11 -0800, Ross Presser wrote:

 > Bob Tennent wrote:

 >> ttf2afm is also an answer:
 >>
 >>   % ttf2afm xxx.ttf | grep FontName
 >>
 >> or
 >>
 >>   % ttf2afm xxx.ttf | grep FullName
 >>
 >> which are trivially scriptable.
 >
 > You expect me to take scripting advice from someone who uses csh?

For historical reasons, I use tcsh at the command line; but I use bash
for scripts :+)

 > Seriously, though, I already had fontforge in use, for conversions
 > from Mac to Windows, so I stuck with that.

It seems that ttf2afm is now distributed with pdftex in case anyone else
is looking for it. In my distribution of Linux (Fedora Core), it's in
the tetex-afm package.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)

font names versus font files
My OS is windows xp. When an html file contains a line such as <font face="comic sans ms" size=+1> the file that is picked up is not "comic sans ms" but simply "comic.ttf". Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms" with "comic.ttf"? Is this the reason that fonts are "installed" in windows? Installed so that the look-up table is corrected? Tnx, Charles On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, charles cashion wrote: > Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms" > with "comic.ttf"? The operating system doe...

How to figure out font file from font name
Acrobat Reader tells me that a certain (PdfTeX generated) PDF file contains the following fonts: SFSS0900, SFSX1728, SFRM1000, SFTI1000, SFRM1095 and SFBX1095. I would like to know to what actual font files these rather terse names happen to refer to. How can I figure that out? (I cannot find any font files with these names in my own TeX font tree, but that is perhaps simply because I do not, at present, have these particular fonts installed on my system). Many thanks in advance for any ideas, Christian "Christian Stapfer" <nobody@nowhere.nil> schrieb im...

Find the font file name from fonts.dir?
I have: the XLFD such as -monospace-Arial-bold-.... I want: the font file name such as "arialbd.ttf" (for Arial bold) which I need for the PDFLib as to export PDF documents. I've noticed that both values are listed in the font directories in a file called fonts.dir (clever me ;). Now my question: does there exist some XLib API call which does that for me? XListFonts only returns me matching XLFDs, given a certain XLFD which is is not what I want. Or can anyone point me to some sample code which does this job (iterate over all directories in the font path as returne...

Extracting hte font name from a TrueType font file
Does anyone have a Python recipe for this? regards Steve -- Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119 Holden Web LLC http://www.holdenweb.com/ ...

Finding raw font file data from an ATSUFontID or font name
I have a library that requires either a path to a ttf file or the raw data that is contained in a ttf file. I would like to get this data from an ATSUFontID for an installed system font. Is this possible on a Mac? In article <037a153d-30cc-44b0-82d8-8d9d8dd44208@m18g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>, Daniel Walter <d2walter@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a library that requires either a path to a ttf file or the raw > data that is contained in a ttf file. I would like to get this data > from an ATSUFontID for an installed system font. Is this possible on > a Mac? Sure. see "Curves In Quickdraw" http://www.mactech.com/articles/develop/issue_08/Reed_text.html The sample code shows how to parse a ttf file. On Jun 25, 2:17=A0am, David Phillip Oster <os...@ieee.org> wrote: > In article > <037a153d-30cc-44b0-82d8-8d9d8dd44...@m18g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>, > =A0Daniel Walter <d2wal...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I have a library that requires either a path to a ttf file or the raw > > data that is contained in a ttf file. =A0I would like to get this data > > from an ATSUFontID for an installed system font. =A0Is this possible on > > a Mac? > > Sure. see "Curves In Quickdraw"http://www.mactech.com/articles/develop/is= sue_08/Reed_text.htmlThe > sample code shows how to parse a ttf file. My goal is to find the ttf file or the ttf file data. I don'...

Read True Type Font (ttf) Tags (font name...)
I try to acces to the font name of my ttf fonts using a php script with the file name. I've found a script reading idv tags from mp3 files, but it's too specific. Can anyone say me how to read a ttf file in php ? Thanks, and sorry for my english. beb - BWT ...

How to use Postscript fonts (or TTF) in eps-files?
Hello, when I create an eps-file by calling psout in Autocad 2007, all my letters are drawn stroke by stroke, instead of providing the proper font commands, as it was possible in previous Autocad versions. Is there any possibility to have psout generate the corresponding calls and require Type-1 or even TTF fonts directly? We already played around with the files acad.fmp and acad.psf, but didn't manage that. Kind regards Michael "Michael Schwarzbart" <Michael.Schwarzbart@tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message news:476149db$0$11094$3b214f66@tunews.univie.ac.at... > Hello, > when I create an eps-file by calling psout in Autocad 2007, all my letters > are drawn stroke by stroke, instead of providing the proper font commands, > as it was possible in previous Autocad versions. > Is there any possibility to have psout generate the corresponding calls > and require Type-1 or even TTF fonts directly? > We already played around with the files acad.fmp and acad.psf, but didn't > manage that. > Kind regards > Michael I think that AutoCAD no longer deals with PS fonts directly any more but it does work with TTF. I plot to pdf files with Adobe Acrobat Pro. Bob ...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

Name of the font? Nome font?
Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? Anyone could help me to find the name of the font of the linked image?... http://www.digitalroads.it/temp/font.jpg Grazie/Thanks -- "Papa',cosa sono le icone? - Sono immagini sacre. - E perche Windows ne ha tante? - Perche ci vogliono i miracoli per farlo funzionare" ]-[ardcastle - ICQ#115164955 In article <b27vn1lpt0q7b83dsvljriptjgkqlepi4t@4ax.com>, "M'Pol aka ]-[ardcastle" <lomjoeNOWASTE@hotmail.com> wrote: > Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? > Anyo...

Requesting a font/font name
Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, please tell the name of that font! ADNAN_16A2@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by > cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, > please tell the name of that font! A sample would likely be very helpful for font identification. I have access to some of the DVDs, so I'll see if I can get a frame grab... -- Vid the Kid "Does this font make me look fat?&quo...

Font editor for TTF fonts?
Hi, does anyone know of a good TTF font editor on Linux? Thanks, cpghost. -- Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/ Cordula's Web wrote: > does anyone know of a good TTF font editor on Linux? The only outline font editor for Linux I know about is PfaEdit (http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net). It handles TrueType, PostScript Type 1, and various other formats. I'm not a font designer, and so I can't say whether or not PfaEdit really qualifies as "good" or not. It's been more than adequate for my own limited needs, though (mostly converting between formats and fi...

Font editor for TTF fonts?
Hi, who can recommend a good TTF font editor for Linux? I didn't find anything which would even remotely do the job. Thanks. -- Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/ On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:43:07 +0000, Cordula's Web wrote: > Hi, > > who can recommend a good TTF font editor for Linux? > I didn't find anything which would even remotely > do the job. > > Thanks. Give PFAEdit a try. It seems to have most (if not all) the function that other software has. http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net/ ...

Getting font file of font
Hi, i have the following question: how can I determine (need not be a platform-indepent method, need for Windows first) the font file being used for a certain Font object? Background: The user of my program can choose a font from a list (generated by GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getAvailableFontFamilyNames()). As a parameter for an external video player I need the corresponding font file, regardless whether it is a font coming the Java Environment or a system-provided one. Thanks in advance, Oliver ...

How to display a font name and font sizes
Hi folks, I'd like to print name font (and any sizes) in colophon. We've tried for instance \the\font and \the\familydefault and \f@family and many others but its output is weird number (ie "Arial(0)", SIL(0)". Here is our example: \documentclass[showtrims,a4paper,13pt]{memoir} \usepackage[brazilian]{babel} \usepackage{microtype} % XeLaTeX \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode} \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text} \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Arial} \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{Charis SIL} \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Charis SIL} \begin{document} \the\font \familydefault \makeatletter \f@encoding \f@family \f@series \f@shape \f@size \f@baselineskip \makeatother \end{document} Thanks for any help, Jorge Sallum Am Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:34:30 -0700 (PDT) schrieb jorge sallum: > Hi folks, > > I'd like to print name font (and any sizes) in colophon. We've tried > for instance \the\font and \the\familydefault and \f@family and many > others but its output is weird number (ie "Arial(0)", SIL(0)". Here is > our example: You can get the primitive name with \fontname. But I don't think that the short names (Charis SIL) are stored somewhere \documentclass{article} \usepackage{fontspec} \setmainfont{Arial} \setsansfont{Charis SIL} \begin{document} \fontname\font \sffamily \fontname\font \end{document} -- Ulrike Fischer jorge sallum <jorge@hedra.com.br> ...

Problem: Latex cannot find a TTF font installed by the Miktex TTF font installer
Short version: I have the Sabon font as TTF and would like to use it from Miktex. I have tried using various methods, including the Miktex font installer, but failed. I think the Sabon font is installed (the self-test seems to indicate that) but still pdftex complains that the font shape is undefined. How should I proceed, please? Long version: I'll redo all the steps (2006-04-11) and log them here. This is on Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service pack 2. First let's ensure that the system is up to date. I run the Miktex update wizard 2.4.1704. Update from Internet. Sele...

Font name in Windows font dialogs
Hello dear newsgroup readers, When i look into the Microsoft Word font chooser, I see all fonts rendered with the glyphs they contain, except "Windings", "MS Outlook" and some others. My own barcode font now is rendered with its name shown in the symbols of my font which makes really hard to distinguish from other barcode fonts in the drop down list. How do i make windows to show my font name without using the glyphs from my font? With best regards, Daniel Migowski Daniel Migowski wrote: > Hello dear newsgroup readers, > > When i look...

font convet to GEOS font from ttf
I have font I need convent to use on geos Who have a convent program? If I can get this convent thern I have more to get convent to use on GEOS. This is from the VTCinfo.txt This typeface is what I like to call Distro-Ware. Which means you can do whatever ya want with the type- face with the sole exception or re-selling it. Use however ya wish on as many computers as ya wish and give it to as many people as ya wish =) If you would like to include this font on your website as a give-away feel free, as long as this documentation reamains with the font! A Link bac...

Font File Requirements for Font.createFont?
Hi, I try to use specific symbols which I preferably would like to take from a TrueType font. So with the wealth of the internet, I took a look at fontforge and simply speaking: I am not able to produce a TrueType font which gives me more than little gray dots in Java. The font can be used well in - say - Winword. But in Java it does not work. (I already know, that Winword uses some proprietary things to and that Java needs proper Unicode fonts, so the Winword test is not truly good, but at least I get one program to correctly display the symbols.) Well, can anybody give me a hint whe...

Urgent problem with font sizes in latex: signature page fonts, chapter page chapter name font
Hi there, I am a newbie using Latex for writing my thesis. I have no clue how to change the .sty or .cls files as I am using others templates, (.sty files) directly on Winedt and editing them with my text. I use a document class: report.The chapter font size in the beginning page of each chapter has a large font size. Is there a way I can reduce this font size to12? Also in the table of contents page the dots dont extend to the page numbers for the chapters and main headings. Only subsections etc., have dots extending to page numbers. Any help on this? The Signature page shows up font sizes...

font file name?
i'm looking for a font called "URW imperial t bold wide" what would the file name be of this font? is there a website anywhere that lists the file names of fonts? TIA jils jils wrote: > i'm looking for a font called "URW imperial t bold wide" > what would the file name be of this font? I found a couple of original URW disks with their file names .. Couldn't fine "URW Imperial T Bold Wide", but "URW Imperial T Wide Bold" is I013296t.ttf for the truetype (probably similar for the Type 1) > is there a website anywhere that lists ...

Converting fonts in preexisting postscript files obtained from dvi files
I often wondered, wheter it is possible to convert a postscript file converted from a dvi file which contains bitmap fonts to a file with outline fonts, provided those are installed in the system. It happens quite often that one finds old papers on the net, where the fonts have been embedded in bitmap form - and they of course do not scale and look awful when converted to pdf. But the dvi file is not available! Usually, when the dvi file is available one can just convert it to pdf with dvips on a machine with outline fonts installed to have a nice ps file, and a nice pdf file from that afte...

List of standard fonts (font names) in TeXLive?
I'd appreciate a pointer to a downloadable list of all the standard Computer Modern fonts and Adobe "basic" fonts available for use in Plain TeX, using TeXShop and pdftex, in a "vanilla" installation of TeXLive 2010 on a Mac. [Since I've just been doing some frustrating online searching for such a list, let me say more explicitly what I want. Suppose I want to define a font for section titles by coding \font\sectiontitlefont = font_name_string at xx pt and then use it repeatedly in inputs like {\sectiontitlefont This Is the Section Tit...

Font embedding problem: coded font names?
I've received a TeXShop-generated PDF file from a colleague in which many of the math symbols in the equations don't print or have obviously incorrect substitutions when I try to print it using Acrobat. I also get Acrobat warnings like "Unable to find font ABCXYZ+CMR10; Courier substituted". Converting the PDF file to a Postscript (.ps) file and examining this with a text editor shows that all of the dozen or so font names appearing in the file have been renamed from standard TeX names cmr10, cmmi10, etc., to the form "ABCXYZ+CMR10", etc, where "A...

font management questions [type1 fonts naming]
I'm having some trouble with fontreserve, it appears that it lists fonts according to their menuname, which I find are clearly not defined as the actual fonts name. I've had to use ABFRenameT1 to get some of the fonts to activate, ATM otoh never has these kind of problems, even with the same fonts. ATM unfortunately lacks the search functions, preview and easier set managament that fontreserve sports so I'm reluctant to give up on it. Anyone who had the same problems? or can tell me the signifigance of the type1 naming scheme. Loke <[baijxz at mailme dot dk]ignore@this.co...

Web resources about - If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript? - comp.lang.postscript

Ghostscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ghostscript is a suite of software based on an interpreter for Adobe Systems ' PostScript and Portable Document Format (PDF) page description ...

Ghostscript 9.0 supports ICC profiles
... also supports ICC colour profiles and allows third-party Colour Management Modules (CMMs) to be integrated The developers have released Ghostscript ...

Bill Casselman's course page
PostScript is an interpreted language originally intended for use in printers.It can be used for many tasks involving complicatedgraphics, and ...

GhostPCL, GhostPDF, and GhostXPS
GhostPCL is Artifex Software's implementation of the PCL-5™ and PCL-XL™ family of page description languages. For more information please see ...

FileOptimizer can compress 33 different formats
... The program is essentially a front end for a host of other tools. Present it with a PDF file, say, and behind the scenes it’ll call up Ghostscript ...

The comet is here: Icaros 1.4 has been released!
We are really excited to announce the immediate availability of the new "point release" of Icaros Desktop, the most known distribution of the ...

Coders at Work: L Peter Deutsch
A prodigy, L Peter Deutsch started programming in the late ’50s, at age 11, when his father brought home a memo about the programming of design ...

Commands tagged mate - commandlinefu.com
Great UNIX/Bash commands tagged with mate - see these and many other invaluable command-line nuggets at commandlinefu.com

Cygwin Gold Stars
Cygwin Install Cygwin Update Cygwin Search Packages Licensing Terms Cygwin/X Community Reporting Problems Mailing Lists Newsgroups Gold Stars ...

World atlas of Flickr geotaggers is maptastic
The maps are ordered by the number of pictures taken in the central cluster of each one. This is a little unfair to aggressively polycentric ...