Mixing symbols and normal text in a line of text

Mixing symbols and normal text in a line of text:

I have done a few hacks to get this going, but I was
wondering if there was a "recognised" or "standard"
way of having a line of text which includes normal
ASCII and symbols like alpha beta gamma etc.,

I resume it means swapping fonts as you write....

Easy to use graphics effects:
http://www.ransen.com/
0
willy (49)
4/9/2009 6:50:19 PM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <7ogst41sf3s7c2nan9lpfmm2dnkiscdfrc@4ax.com>,
willy@wonker.com says...
> Mixing symbols and normal text in a line of text:
>
> I have done a few hacks to get this going, but I was
> wondering if there was a "recognised" or "standard"
> way of having a line of text which includes normal
> ASCII and symbols like alpha beta gamma etc.,
>
> I resume it means swapping fonts as you write....

Yes, eg:

%!
/F1 /Helvetica findfont 20 scalefont def
/F2 /Symbol findfont 20 scalefont def

10 100 moveto
F1 setfont (Latin text ) show
F2 setfont (Symbol ) show
F1 setfont (Latin again) show

showpage

0
ken161 (742)
4/10/2009 7:16:34 AM
In article <MPG.244902a27a6522a4989755@usenet.plus.net>,
ken  <ken@spamcop.net> wrote:
>In article <7ogst41sf3s7c2nan9lpfmm2dnkiscdfrc@4ax.com>,
>willy@wonker.com says...
>> Mixing symbols and normal text in a line of text:
>>
>> I have done a few hacks to get this going, but I was
>> wondering if there was a "recognised" or "standard"
>> way of having a line of text which includes normal
>> ASCII and symbols like alpha beta gamma etc.,
>>
>> I resume it means swapping fonts as you write....
>
>Yes, eg:
>
>%!
>/F1 /Helvetica findfont 20 scalefont def
>/F2 /Symbol findfont 20 scalefont def
>
>10 100 moveto
>F1 setfont (Latin text ) show
>F2 setfont (Symbol ) show
>F1 setfont (Latin again) show

An alternative method would be for your application to keep track of
where currentpoint will be and show everything in one font before
switching to the next.

e.g.
F1 setfont
10 100 moveto
(Latin text ) show
<width of "Symbol "> 0 rmoveto
(Latin again) show
F2 setfont
<width of "Latin text "+10> 100 moveto
(Symbol ) show

This of course requires your PostScript creating application to have
accurate character metrics.

--
					-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com
In article <grnujh$6mn$1@reader1.panix.com>, rodd@panix.com (Rod Dorman) wrote:

> In article <MPG.244902a27a6522a4989755@usenet.plus.net>,
> ken  <ken@spamcop.net> wrote:
> >In article <7ogst41sf3s7c2nan9lpfmm2dnkiscdfrc@4ax.com>,
> >willy@wonker.com says...
> >> Mixing symbols and normal text in a line of text:
> >>
> >> I have done a few hacks to get this going, but I was
> >> wondering if there was a "recognised" or "standard"
> >> way of having a line of text which includes normal
> >> ASCII and symbols like alpha beta gamma etc.,
> >>
> >> I resume it means swapping fonts as you write....
> >
> >Yes, eg:
> >
> >%!
> >/F1 /Helvetica findfont 20 scalefont def
> >/F2 /Symbol findfont 20 scalefont def
> >
> >10 100 moveto
> >F1 setfont (Latin text ) show
> >F2 setfont (Symbol ) show
> >F1 setfont (Latin again) show
>
> An alternative method would be for your application to keep track of
> where currentpoint will be and show everything in one font before
> switching to the next.
>
> e.g.
> F1 setfont
> 10 100 moveto
> (Latin text ) show
> <width of "Symbol "> 0 rmoveto
> (Latin again) show
> F2 setfont
> <width of "Latin text "+10> 100 moveto
> (Symbol ) show
>
> This of course requires your PostScript creating application to have
> accurate character metrics.
>
> --
>                                         -- Rod --
> rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

See www.cappella-archive.com/resources/linewrap.ps
for mid line changes of font.
The real headache is including mixed fonts in a paragraph of justified
text. This involves creating an array for every change of font or size.
All PS manuals are silent on this subject
David B-W
0
byram4280 (9)

text + text

text-text

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Newby: how to transform text into lines of text
Hello, I'va read a text file into variable "a" a=open('FicheroTexto.txt','r') a.read() "a" contains all the lines of the text separated by '\n' characters. Now, I want to work with each line separately, without the '\n' character. How can I get variable "b" as a list of such lines? Thank you for your help vsoler schrieb: > Hello, > > I'va read a text file into variable "a" > > a=open('FicheroTexto.txt','r') > a.read() > > "a" contains a...

Making 2 lines of text in text()
Hi, I would like to add some text in a plot using text(). I am wondering what symbol should I add in the text so that it shows 2 lines of text in the textbox? Thanks, Alan Use the "\newline" tag for TeX/LaTeX t = text(1,1,'my\newlinetext'); Jeremy "Alan" <twaleung@engmail.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message news:ef4f1d3.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > > I would like to add some text in a plot using text(). I am wondering > what symbol should I add in the text so that it shows 2 lines of text > in the textbox? > > Thanks, > >...

How to add footer text as normal text
Hi all, I am using sendmail-8.12.11 for my mail server . I have set footer text for all outgoing mails from my domain "my.domain.com" using the following function in mimedefang . It works fine but the footer text is added to every mail as an attachment .. I want the footer text to be added as normal text for each mail not as an attachment .. Can we do this using mimedefang . If anybody knows the answer kindly assist me. # action_rebuild(); if ( $Sender =~ /\b(.*)\@my.domain.com\b/ ) { # action_rebuild(); #PSL Begin action_add_part($entity, "text/pl...

Pulling out lines of text from a text file
Hi everybody, I'm looking to write a Catalyst model to basically use a newline delimited database, so that each line of the text file corresponds to a datum. My question isn't about the module per se, but on smart algorithms to pull a single line of text from an arbitrary text file. I know the following would work: #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; print "Enter a file\n"; my $file = <STDIN>; print "Enter a number\n"; my $number = <STDIN>; my @array; open FILE, "$file"; while (<FILE>) { push @array; } close FILE; print $a...

How to create a text file having multiple line texts?
How can I create a text file from the following cell variable having characters, not numeric data? a{1} = '1st one' a{2} = '2nd one' In the created text file, I like to have '1st one' in the first line and '2nd one' in the second line. Thanks in advance "Wes" wrote in message <ihnk4n$ncg$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > How can I create a text file from the following cell variable having characters, not numeric data? > a{1} = '1st one' > a{2} = '2nd one' > > In the created text file, I like to have '1s...

Text equation
The problem: getting a version of the equation environment which displays multi-line text, i.e. text in paragraph mode, rather than having the content processed in math mode. Following a tip at http://www.latex-project.org/ltnews/ltnews06.pdf I've come up with the following new environment definition: % TextEquation environment \newenvironment{texteqn}% {\begin{equation}% \begin{minipage}[t]{0.9\linewidth}}% {\end{minipage}% \end{equation}% \ignorespacesafterend} My (small) improvement is to include the [t] option to the minipage environment, to ensure that the equation numbering and the top of the text match in their vertical alignments. The minipage environment should allow, for example, list and enumerate environments to be used within the text of the 'equation'. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of a better solution. GHF ...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Can I input multi-line text in Text object?
Dear all I made a GUI and I want to show some infomation on a 'Text' object. I tried to use '\n' to fulfill it. However, the Text object cannot recognize '\n' as a carriage return but a simple text '\n'. How can I input multi-lines in a text object? Can I? Any advice will be my pleasure. Best Regards damayi 2007-12-21 damayi schreef: > Dear all > I made a GUI and I want to show some infomation on a 'Text' object. I > tried to use '\n' to fulfill it. However, the Text object cannot > recognize '\n' as a carriage return but a...

Pages

text 2 text

Missing Text Line in PINE 4.64 MESSAGE TEXT
I am running 4.64 on an linux box. A friend sends me mail composed from www.excite.com, and invariably the second line of his message is missing. If I try to view the Text/ PLAIN message explicitly as a text attachment, it is still not in view. However, if I save the message as a text attachment, I DO see the missing line. If I reply to the sender, then the missing line appears. I've turned off (and on!) pass-c1-control-characters-as-is, as well as a myriad of other tries to see the missing line. Here is the text and and hex dump of the saved file: *********************************...

Mouse changes when Tab label is Text[] vs normal text. Why?
Hello experts; This is not a big deal thing for me, I just was curios on what this behavior occur more than anything. If you enter the following command: TabView[{"1" -> 1, Style["2", FontSize -> 16] -> 2}] and then move the mouse over the Tab with '2' on it, and notice the mouse shape, you'll see it stays an arrow shape (standard on windoz). Now if you enter this command instead: TabView[{"1" -> 1, Text[Style["2", FontSize -> 16]] -> 2}] and do the same, you'll notice that the mouse, when it is ...

How to script the creation of a text file, with 4/5 lines of text
Hello all, I'm trying to script the creation of a file with a few lines of text. The thing is that this text contains special characters and filepaths. For example, the text file I want to create looks something like the following: THIS = ( that ) PATH = ( /this/is/a/test/test.jar ) (${PATH}) -> (${THIS}) test.... This is what I get when I do the following: # echo "THIS = ( that ) PATH = ( /this/is/a/test/test.jar ) (${PATH}) -> (${THIS}) test...." > test.out THIS: Undefined variable Adding a '/' in front of the '$' doesn't help ...

How to insert a line of text on a postscript figure?
Dear All, I have some postscript figures. I hope to add a few text on the top of the figure, like "Hello World" or something else. So when I print them out, I don't need to write the text on the paper by hand. Is this possible? How? Thank you very much for your help. On 2005-08-31, Xiaoshen Li <xli6@gmu.edu> wrote: > Dear All, > > I have some postscript figures. I hope to add a few text on the top of > the figure, like "Hello World" or something else. So when I print them > out, I don't need to write the text on the paper by hand. Is this > possible? How? > > Thank you very much for your help. > /Helvetica findfont % 12 scalefont setfont 100 200 moveto (Hello World) show would do the trick. Fiddle with the string in brackets to change what it says, and modify the 100 200 to change its location on the page. Hope that helps, Malcolm ...

Text widget with mixed left-to-right and right-to-left Unicode text abilities?
Hi, is there one of these? If not I might have a go at writing a simple one of them.... Apologies if this is a FAQ, I did search the archive a bit before posting. Best, Charles. ...

Parsing a text file line-by-line: skipping badly-formed lines?
I have a script which reads a plain text (dos) file line-by-line and splits it into several smaller files, based on a single attribute. The code (below) works, except when a line is malformed (i.e., the line contains binary or control characters), and the script just exits with an error: open(IN, "$IN_FILE") or die "\n\terror: Could not read $IN_FILE $! \n"; ; binmode(IN); while( $ln=<IN> ) { if( $ln =~ m/\r\n$/ ) { $ln =~ s/\r\n$/\n/; # dos2unix: convert CR LF to LF if( $. > 0 ) { # skip the header line $sym = substr($ln, 10, 16); $sym =~ ...

Text from Postscript
I must be missing something... this has to be possible! How can you extract text from postscript? I was expecting a ghostscript device that would output a .txt file. But I don't see anything appropriate. I'm pretty positive this can be done because GSView has a "search text" feature. I'm assuming it uses Ghostscript to do this. In fact, that's really the root of my question: how do you search a postscript file for text? Thank you for your thoughts, Matthew. In article <bmqdf0$t02$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Matthew Walker <m.g.walker@NOmassey.SPac.AMnz> wrote: >I must be missing something... this has to be possible! How can you >extract text from postscript? > >I was expecting a ghostscript device that would output a .txt file. But >I don't see anything appropriate. (snip) My ghostscript has a ps2ascii tool. I also seem to have a pstotext tool that was originally from DEC. I don't immediately see a likely "text output" device in ghostscript's "devicenames" output. -- Mark Matthew Walker wrote: > > I must be missing something... this has to be possible! How can you > extract text from postscript? > > I was expecting a ghostscript device that would output a .txt file. But > I don't see anything appropriate. > > I'm pretty positive this can be done because GSView has a "search text" > feature. I'm assuming it uses Ghostscript ...

text to postscript
How are people converting ascii output files to postscript for the purposes of printing or eventually putting into pdf? I see the online SAS documentation refers to "pstext" but treats it like it was a native Unix utility. It is not. Can SAS itself do this in batch and if so I would want to specify margin sizes. Hi Roland, The DOS text processor (that's more than word processor) PC-Write can generate PS files from ascii files. I am (still) a fervent user of PC-Write (various versions) for about 17 years already (and developed many add-ons and printer drivers), I can read and ...

rich text in text field

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

Web resources about - Mixing symbols and normal text in a line of text - comp.lang.postscript

File:Symbol unsupport vote.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it.If the file has been ...

South Korea to shut down most important symbol of inter-Korean goodwill
The Pyongyang government took the bulk of the cash paid, with the North Korean workers getting just a small fraction of their wages in the local ...

Supermarket Coles sells Year of the Monkey bamboo plants with symbol for goat
Supermarket chain Coles is helping consumers celebrate the Year of the Monkey by selling lucky bamboo - the only problem is the attached label ...

South Korea to shut down most important symbol of inter-Korean goodwill
The Pyongyang government took the bulk of the cash paid, with the North Korean workers getting just a small fraction of their wages in the local ...

E-mail inventor Ray Tomlinson, who popularized @ symbol, dies at 74
"I am frequently asked why I chose the at sign, but the at sign just makes sense."

A powerful, powerful symbol of progress
A powerful, powerful symbol of progress by digby That will be one of the most iconic pictures of this era. That little boy will grow up knowing ...

Jeb Bush fighting for survival in New Hampshire, symbol of the GOP establishment’s weakness
Bush is entering the final days of his last stand, and hints of exasperation are leaking through his stoic demeanor.

Calais camp, symbol of migrant crisis, set for destruction
Boston Herald Calais camp, symbol of migrant crisis, set for destruction Boston Herald A child rides his bicycle in a makeshift camp for migrants ...

Cornel West: Hillary Being ‘Fake and Phony’ By Talking About Jim Crow, Obama Only Provided ‘Symbol’ To ...
Cornel West: Hillary Being 'Fake and Phony' By Talking About Jim Crow, Obama Only Provided 'Symbol' To Black US

Justice, but too late for boy who became symbol of Syria's suffering
2 men sentenced to prison over smuggling that led to Aylan Kurdi winding up dead on a Turkish beach