PDF generation, do not compress already compressed images?

This may be a bit off topic...

A website I maintain has PDFs generated on Macs from keynote
presentations.  (I don't generate them, just put them on the web site.)
  When image compression is turned on some of the images are fuzzy and
look bad and others look OK.  If no image compression is turned on they
all look about the same.  I suspect that what is happening is that the
original keynote presentation has some compressed images and some raw
images.   Compressing a compressed image doesn't usually work very well,
which is why some of the images in the PDF turn out poorly.  The ones
which were not initially compressed, on the other hand, compress well.

So, is there any switch in the OS X PDF generator, or in keynote, that
will cause already compressed images to go into the PDF without further
modification, but will still allow compression of raw images?  We can
already get a sharp PDF by disabling compression, but would like to make
the PDFs for the web smaller, if possible.

Thanks,

David Mathog
0
mathog
10/8/2014 8:51:00 PM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

This is a PostScript forum, and your question is about PDFs. The question is fine, but should be re-posted elsewhere.
0
jdaw1
10/9/2014 8:31:42 AM
jdaw1 wrote:
> This is a PostScript forum, and your question is about PDFs. The question is fine, but should be re-posted elsewhere.

Well, yes, but this is also the forum for ghostscript questions, and
ghostscript is one tool that might be used to take a PDF containing
a mix of compressed and raw images and selectively apply compression
to the raw ones.  Ghostscript is also the program underneath some of the
free PDF printer drivers, like PDFcreator, so if ghostscript
does have this capability, it might be reflected somewhere in the
option for that driver.

Regards,

David Mathog

0
mathog
10/9/2014 5:21:49 PM
mathog wrote:

> jdaw1 wrote:
>> This is a PostScript forum, and your question is about PDFs. The question
>> is fine, but should be re-posted elsewhere.
>>

> Well, yes, but this is also the forum for ghostscript questions, and
> ghostscript is one tool that might be used to take a PDF containing
> a mix of compressed and raw images and selectively apply compression
> to the raw ones.  Ghostscript is also the program underneath some of the
> free PDF printer drivers, like PDFcreator, so if ghostscript
> does have this capability, it might be reflected somewhere in the
> option for that driver.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Mathog

I suspect it is due to the quality and format of the original images. The
PDF export of Keynote only offers three quality levels for embedded
images without detailed information what it does then.

Helge

0
Helge

Compress an already compressed Jpeg
We are trialing some software that very basically allows your average Joe with the correct client software installed send an image file via the internet to a server running the server side of this software. While this is already very easy to do with a bit of HTML code and asp/php e.t.c to receive and manipulate the file. This software claims to compress the image before it is sent and then decompress the server end with no loss using file compression rather than further image compression. What's more it claims it compresses them up to 80% compression before transfer! While I can believe t...

compressing an already compressed archive
Hi all, why it is said that compressing an already compressed archive will not have much benefit , independent of the algorithm being used ? annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote: > why it is said that compressing an already compressed archive will > not have much benefit , independent of the algorithm being used ? Well, it isn't true in general, but is usually for reasonable compression algorithms. Some time ago I was working on a program to generate PDFs of scanned images. First I did the run-length compression, as that was pretty easy. Then I added LZW, but didn't...

Further compress a already compressed file
Dear all, My question is, can a compressed file be further compressed by the same compression algorithm or other compresssion algorithm? Why or Why not? My experimental result is. Yes, it can be further compressed by a considerably amount. (sometimes 50%) Is that theoratically possible? This is against the impression I used to have. Can some one kindly answer my question or give me some reference. Thanks, - detailed description ------------------------------------- compression library : LZO my data set : binary data. I have a program that uses lzo library to com...

Image compression code to compress JPEG file
hi, currently a scanned document in JPEG format is occupying around 350KB space. I need a compression code which reduces disk space from 350KB to around 50KB. code may be in VB6 (preferrably). please help me out. its pretty urgent. shwetha Hi, > currently a scanned document in JPEG format is occupying around 350KB > space. I need a compression code which reduces disk space from 350KB > to around 50KB. code may be in VB6 (preferrably). please help me out. > its pretty urgent. If this document is a black and white "line art" type writer document, then I afraid you'...

compress utility != Compress::Zlib::compress() on linux and Windows
For some reason when the compress utility is used to create a .Z file, the result is not recognized by the Compress::Zlib uncompress() function (on either Linux or Windows). And it turns out that Compress::Zlib::compress() produces a _different_ .Z file. Editing the two seems to show that the contents are the same after a certain point and thus the headers differ. DOH! I am running with perl v5.8.6, in which Compress::Zlib v1.33 is bundled. (v1.34 was released in 2005-01; but I doubt if 1.33 is drastically out of date.) Can anyone shed some light on this? If so, you'll be doing better ...

Compressing compressed files?
I have a really crazy idea: Supposing you took a compressed file (any format) and pass it to a bijective decompressor,In principle the data should become less random. After that you can recompress the data with a superior algorithm. My reasoning is as follows: The set of input data for most general purpose compression algorithms tends to overlap. Within a certain margin , the set of compressed files overlaps too. I tried this out on a couple of files with David Scott's BICOM but I didn't get any positive result. My idea was that since PPMII does 40 - 50 % better than ZIP and there ...

To Compress or Not To Compress -- That is the Question !
Hi: I'm running a website (I have three sites on my older Dell -- Pentium 4 with 2GB of Memory and a 350Gig Harddrive) with an xHarbour .exe as the CGI 'script'. If I have many simultaneous clients, is there a significant benefit or penalty to compressing the .exe ? Currently, one of the compressed executables is 486,400 bytes. Uncompressed, it is 1,076,224 bytes. I welcome your opinions. Thanks. -Mel Smith -- Mel Smith Mel, In case of your setup IMHO the compressed .exe has no advantages, the decompressing operation ( aka UnZip ) - eats the serv...

Compressing images in PDF file
We've numerous PDF files that were created with tiff2pdf's "tiff2pdf". Unfortunately, tiff2pdf was called without the option "-z": The images are stored uncompressed. Is there any way to postprocess these PDF files and have the images compressed? If so, what tool do you recommend for that purpose? -- Dipl.-Phys. Felix E. Klee Email: fk@linuxburg.de (work), felix.klee@inka.de (home) Tel: +49 721 8307937, Fax: +49 721 8307936 Linuxburg, Goethestr. 15a, 76135 Karlsruhe, Germany Felix E. Klee wrote: > We've numerous PDF files that were created with tiff2pd...

compressing compressed video
Is it possible to noticeably compress already compressed video (DivX/MPEG) even futher using a loseless compression program? Which programs offer the highest compression radios in this case? copx copx wrote: > Is it possible to noticeably compress already compressed video (DivX/MPEG) > even futher using a loseless compression program? Yes, but not by much if at all. The most lossless compression I have seen of an .AVI occured because the PCM audio was uncompressed. The only .AVIs you'll see major compression occur is when there is so much redundant information in a frame or ...

JPEG-compress embedded images in PDF
Greetings. The PDF files generated by Inkscape are unacceptably large when the document contains bitmap graphics. (An A5 book cover I just did is over 33 megabytes -- far too large to publish online.) I presume this is because Inkscape is embedding raw bitmaps into the PDF file, rather than using JPEG compression. Is there a tool which will postprocess a PDF file to convert the embedded bitmaps to embedded JPEGs? I would prefer something free (GPL or the like) and available for GNU/Linux. Regards, Tristan -- _ _V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] >< Space is limited / |`...

ghostscript questions: JBIG2 compression, embed control, image compression control
Three quick questions about current ghostscript. 1. I see libjbig2dec.so linked in my linux version of 8.64. Is there a way to specify jbig2 compression for bw images, or is it only for decoding? The options that I know of for monochrome are only CCITT Group 4, RLE, and ZIP. 2. In the PDF Creator interface the control of font embedding consists of checkboxes for embed, subset, and a numeric limit for subset (defaults to <100%) and these presumably correspond 1:1 with gs parameters. The ps2pdf options documentation here http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Ps2pdf.htm#Op...

Kakadu JPEG2000 Compression Parameters
Hi David, From the README file, it is said: > The codecs used were: > > - for JPEG, the Stanford PVRG codec > - for JPEG-LS, the dicom3tools rawnjl2 codec > - for JPEG 2000, the Kakadu codec Could you list the typical compression parameters used for JPEG2000 reversible and irreversible compressions on various images, using the Kakadu codec? Thanks much. -Lu The kdu_compress utility was invoked with either: "Creversible=no -rate 1.5" or "Creversible=yes" The "Sprecision=nn Sdims={rows,cols} Ssigned=no|yes" parameters w...

compressed images
Hi Group, I have a question about compressed images. I'm told that printers have a problem reading compressed JPEGs. Some would like all TIFF images. If I don't compress the TIFFs as well, my file can end up being several hundred MBs. So my question is, what is the difference between JPEG and TIFF compression? Any help will be appreciated. Bob On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:59:01 -0700, "Bob" <wildtrout@cox.net> wrote: >Hi Group, >I have a question about compressed images. I'm told that printers have a >problem reading compressed JPEGs. Some would like all TIF...

8 bit LZW Compressed TIFF image to PDF conversion
Hi , I have written a C code which converts 8 bit uncompressed Tiff Image to PDF file. Now i am trying for 8 bit LZW compressed Tiff Image. But using the same code i am getting error " A Drawing Error has occured" and then a blank page is displayed. The following are the details : The image is 8 bit LZW compressed image. I have the values Image File Directory ( IFD ). ImageWidth =3D 0x237 , ImageLength =3D 0x1b7 , BitsPerSample =3D 8 , Compression =3D 5 , StripOffsets =3D 0x18 , RowsperStrip =3D 0x0c , StripByteCounts =3D 0x29b84 I have taken ImageWidth as width. ImageLength...

Web resources about - PDF generation, do not compress already compressed images? - comp.lang.postscript

History of video game consoles (fourth generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the history of computer and video games , the fourth generation (more commonly referred to as the 16-bit era ) of games consoles began on ...

The Second Generation of Sharing
Social sharing is in the midst of an evolution from first-generation, simple widget-based sharing to platforms of social optimization tools for ...

The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation
How a homegrown burger joint pioneered a food revolution and decades later gave a young, politicised class its identity.

Intel introduces 6th generation Core vPro processor family for office PCs
Intel has just announced new processors for office computers. The 6th Generation Intel Core vPro processor family is designed "for the modern ...

A Costco-killer just raked in another $100 million to convert the next generation of bulk buyers
... "patently false." Instead, the press-shy Huang said his team has tried to stay out of the headlines and focus on building the next generation ...

Tradeshift Partners with (RED) to Fight for an AIDS-Free Generation
Tradeshift partners with (RED) to fight for an AIDS-free generation. The partnership will generate at least $3 million to fight AIDS over the ...

Next generation of great dancers may not be able to call Hill home — but Velocity’s Bridge Project will ...
Tonya Lockyer, artistic director of Capitol Hill’s Velocity Dance Center and co-chair of the Capitol Hill Arts District, is trying to help keep ...

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: An icon for the millennial generation
I was probably 11 years old when I saw Inherit the Wind and realized that when I grew up I wanted to be Clarence Darrow as portrayed by Spencer ...

Intel transforms workplace with latest 6th generation Intel Core vPro processors
Intel has announced the availability of its sixth generation Intel Core vPro processor family for the modern workforce. The latest iteration ...

Diet May Change Gut Microbes for Generations
It's not only your health you're affecting with your diet, new research suggests.