PostScript to Troff Converter (*Not Troff to PostScript Converter*)

Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file?

Here's where I'm going with this...

There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS.  Using the PS ou=
tput, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file.  The inp=
ut file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by a =
script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a c=
onverted to a PDF for delivery.

I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText o=
n my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possibl=
e to convert PS to troff input...
0
gjwatersjr
7/12/2013 12:07:22 AM
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:07:22 PM UTC-5, gjwat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is a utility available to convert PostScript into a troff input file?
>=20
> Here's where I'm going with this...
>=20
> There is an existing PDF form that can be converted to PS.  Using the PS =
output, I'd like to somehow generate an equivalent troff input file.  The i=
nput file would be used as a template which would be dynamically filled by =
a script, run through troff and grops to create a PS file, and from there a=
 converted to a PDF for delivery.
>=20
> I figure that this may be a way of getting around the use of Java's iText=
 on my otherwise bare-bones BSD box, but am unsure whether it is even possi=
ble to convert PS to troff input...

I've never heard of such a utility and I think it would be
nearly impossible to do for the general case.=20

You might be able to write a script to extract data from=20
a postscript file and, as you put it, "re-create" an
equivalent troff input file. But this is going to be=20
tightly dependent upon a particular postscript generator.

That is, it might be possible to write a perl-script, say,
that will extract the text from a groff-generated ps file,=20
and output this text with appropriate troff codes embedded. But the same pr=
ogram would not work with dvips output, or output from the Microsoft ps pri=
nter driver. Because they look so very different.

0
luser

convert postscript jop to non-postscript printer
How can I submit a postscript jop to an HP printer that support only PCL. Mine is 6L laserjst,Sol 8 x86. Thanks. On 17 Feb 2004 05:04:38 -0800, hpy_awad@yahoo.com wrote: > How can I submit a postscript jop to an HP printer that support only > PCL. Mine is 6L laserjst,Sol 8 x86. Thanks. Use ghostscript: http://faq.solaris-x86.org/6.html#6.4 Regards, Michael it is said in the FAQ use Ghostscript driver . Where can I install Ghostscript driver for HP LJ 6L. On 19 Feb 2004 07:36:16 -0800, hpy_awad@yahoo.com wrote: > it is said in the FAQ use Ghostscript driver . Where can I install...

Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript
I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that emulated PS printers are cheaper. What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server? When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts. This confuses me. -Why do they not mention the # of fo...

converting documents to postscript
I want to take documents uploaded with a from post and convert them for faxing through our hylafax. I know this can be done by printing to a win driver, but that only works for win machines, and we have suns, linux and macs too. I don't know how fax machines do I but I suppose they just take everything as a bitmap and convert it. Is that a possibility here or is it much more complex than that? All the major web fax operations can convert word and excel docs, so there must be some kind of trick to this..How can I convert any document (word, excel, html, plain text) to something that...

Converting postscript to ASCII
Hi, I'm looking for a program (or how to write a program) that will change a postscript file to ASCII. I've looked at the ps2ascii script that comes packaged with Ghostscript, and its output is acceptable on many postscript files. However, I find that it runs into problems when I encounter files with figures in them. Is there a way to filter out the figures from the postscript file before I start processing it? Or a different program that I should try? Otherwise, any advice on how I could write a program to attack this problem? -DT dbtung@berkeley.edu wrote: >I'm lookin...

Converting documents to PostScript
Greetings. When I used Win 95, I installed a driver for the HP LaserJet 4/4M Plus PS 600. Instead of telling the OS to send the output to an I/O port, I instructed that it be put into a file. This worked very well. When I wanted to create a PostScript file, I simply selected the LaserJet to receive the document. A dialog box would ask me to specify the name of a disk file, which I would do. Presto! The PostScript code went into the file. Very neat. When I installed XP Professional in my office, I set up the same system. It works fine. Now I have installed XP Home at my home. I set ...

convert from PDF to postscript
We are creating PDF files in our application and storing them, but we must also print them. I have it narrowed down to executing LPR from the application. Sample postscript files printed OK with this command, so I need to convert PDF files to postscript. I've been looking for something to do this and can't find it. I found such things as a2ps and pdf2ps but no java implementation of these. Help is desperately needed converting PDF to PS for printing. hanks "David McDivitt" <x12code-del@del-yahoo.com> wrote in message news:vhvfv0p0ot5lnl236cefdvc61fdvno5cbj@4ax.com......

Postscript to LaTeX converter
Hi, does it esxist? Thanks in advance. -- Emanuele ------------------------------------------- Gruppo Utilizzatori Italiani di TeX ------------------------------------------- TUG Italiano - www.GuIT.sssup.it ------------------------------------------- Emanuele Z. wrote: > Does it esxist? No. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:09:06 GMT, Emanuele Z. wrote: > does it esxist? As one wag put it: this would be like converting sausage back into pig. More seriously, one can extract the text from a Postscript file and re-format it by hand. Emanuele Z. wrote: > Hi, > do...

Converting perldoc to postscript
What's the best way to do so? I hope to get the default man page formatting, not the plain text formatting as specified by "-t". Thanks! On Feb 9, 11:24 am, "Mordecai" <mordecai.crys...@gmail.com> wrote: > What's the best way to do so? I hope to get the default man page > formatting, not the plain text formatting as specified by "-t". > Thanks! Did you try perldoc -oman ? Kalyan On Feb 9, 12:37 pm, "Kalyan Manchikanti" <kalyan.manchika...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Feb 9, 11:24 am, "Mordecai" <mordecai.c...

software convert to postscript
I started a business in 1985 on the Mac using a program called JustText, by a man named Bill Bates. This program has proven indispensable, because it converts a text file, containing content with embedded typeset commands, like "{qr}", "{bt}", "{dc}" etc. It does a great job converting to postscript which can then be downloaded and printed. I have a 20-year-old business that relies on this conversion-to-Postscript process. Unfortunately, JustText never continued, and though I can still rely on it on my older computers, it moves toward imminent obsolescence as App...

convert postscript to html
I've been rummaging around on the Internet looking for something that will convert postscript (.PS) files to HTML, but no luck. Anybody know of something that will convert postscript to HTML? Thanks, Leo On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:39:11 -0600, Emilio Echeverria staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I've been rummaging around on the Internet looking for something that > will convert postscript (.PS) files to HTML, but no luck. Anybody > know of something that will convert postscript to HTML? Doesn't exist. PostScript is a general-purpose printing language; you ca...

Converting PDF to Postscript
Hi, Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript? If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a command line with no interaction? Thanks -Howard On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Howard Webb wrote: > Is there anyway to use GhostScript to convert a PDF in to Postscript? Yes. pdf2ps is a script that will use gs to do this conversion. > If not what tools are out there that allow you do do this from a > command line with no interaction? But a better conversion is usually obtained by using pdftops which is bundled with xpdf (or ...

postscript
I have a graphic with gnuplot 4.4. At my file I change lw to 0.18. But when I obtain a file eps, my changes are lost. Why? I only like to change the my curves' linewidth, and not change axes' linewidth mfduqued wrote: > I have a graphic with gnuplot 4.4. At my file I change lw to 0.18. How, exactly, did you do that? Which terminal driver, and which commands did you use? > But when I obtain a file eps, my changes are lost. How did you determine that the change of line width didn't take effect? Note that line widths smaller than 1 may not make sense, ...

postscript
I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small, but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this? thanks -C In a...

Postscript
Hello, I have been trying to find a library to make the production os postscript file easier from our cobol programs. Finally, I have begun to write a library in OO cobol largely inspired from the C pslib library. I have just finished to prepare the interface of the different methods and write a few methods. Teh generation of postscript file could then be: invoke PSDoc "PSOpenFile" using z"myfile.ps" invoke PSDoc "PSMoveTo" using x, y invoke PSDoc "PSLineTo" using ... invoke PSDoc "PSCircle" using .... etc... which is - to me at least! - ea...

Printing Postscript Files on Postscript Printers
Most (all?) of the time when I print a postscript file on a colour postscript printer, if I tell the printer driver to print black and white it normally ignores me and prints in colour anyway. I presume it is just printing the postscript file as is and ignoring my instructions, is there a way to get round it and force it to print black and white. (It will allow me to scale down to print several pages on one page). Printers concerned Xerox Phaser 8200 over USB (Postscript 3) Canon CLC 950 via Fiery XJ over network (Postscript 2) -- Timothy Should work if you are not using a Mac, are you? ER "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote in message news:+K8ayEPNF8TDFwI8@town-village.demon.co.uk... > Most (all?) of the time when I print a postscript file on a colour > postscript printer, if I tell the printer driver to print black and white > it normally ignores me and prints in colour anyway. I presume it is just > printing the postscript file as is and ignoring my instructions, is there > a way to get round it and force it to print black and white. (It will > allow me to scale down to print several pages on one page). > > Printers concerned Xerox Phaser 8200 over USB (Postscript 3) > Canon CLC 950 via Fiery XJ over network (Postscript 2) > > -- > Timothy In article <+K8ayEPNF8TDFwI8@town-village.demon.co.uk>, "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote: >...

PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer?
Hi everyone! I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Thanks for being here! Stu "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my > WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > > > Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/ In article <Mk5ce.593$V01...

how to convert RTF to postscript on UNIX
Hi, All. Does anyone know of any command line utility that would allow to convert RTF document to postscript in Unix environment. Preferably I am looking for free software. Thanks a lot, Dima "iamd23" <iamd23@hotmail.com> writes: > Does anyone know of any command line utility that would allow to convert RTF > document to postscript in Unix environment. > > Preferably I am looking for free software. You might want to have a look at Ted <http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted>. -- Michael Piotrowski, M.A. <mxp@dynalabs.de> ...

PostScript to PCL converter wanted
I need a PostScript to PCL converter written in PostScript. Does anybody know of such a beast? Helge PS: simple reason for this whish: the converter must run an at least 5 different UNIX flavours. -- Helge Blischke Softwareentwicklung SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom http://www.srz.de tel: +49 30 75301-360 > I need a PostScript to PCL converter written in PostScript. A PDF to PCL converter might be easier. PostScript is a [Turing-]complete and practical programming language. Does PCL provide a similar level of support for general programming? -- Helge Blischke <H.Blischke@srz-berlin.de> wrote: >I need a PostScript to PCL converter written in PostScript. Does anybody >know of such a beast? > >Helge > >PS: simple reason for this whish: the converter must run an at least 5 >different UNIX flavours. It's an interesting challenge, but I don't understand your reasons... is there a UNIX system for which GhostScript cannot be compiled? ---------------------------------------- Aandi Inston quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them. Aandi Inston wrote: > > Helge Blischke <H.Blischke@srz-berlin.de> wrote: > > >I need a PostScript to PCL converter written in PostScript. Does anybody > >know of such a beast? > > > >Helge > > > >PS: simple reason for this whish: the converter must run an at least 5 > >dif...

Converting from Frame to PostScript charset
Hi there, When I print a FrameMaker document to PDF, characters above 128 like mdash appear as blanks. I tracked this down to the PostScript generation from FrameMaker. As an example, the output file should contain \320 octal for mdash (according to the PS Lang Ref Man). However, what's really there is \321 octal, or D1 hex. This follows the encoding in "FrameMaker Character Sets.pdf" in the online manuals. It looks like FrameMaker isn't translating from its internal character set to the PostScript one properly. I can try postprocess with sed to fix the f...

Need convert to postscript before printing?
I want to print files which are stored in a folder. From many forum, i found that printer can only receive postscript format, and if i want to print pdf or microsoft office files, i need to convert it to postscript before send to printer. Am i right? Can anyone gives opinion how to make it simple? > I want to print files which are stored in a folder. From many forum, i > found that printer can only receive postscript format, and if i want to > print pdf or microsoft office files, i need to convert it to postscript > before send to printer. > Am i right? If the printer is a po...

convert postscript to .frm file
Dear friends, I have a question about converting postscript file to a form file (extension .frm) which could be recognized by an existing application software. I believe this existing software was developed by Visual C++ and the users can create .frm files to generate the forms. The form file is an ASCII file and can only be recognized by the software. After the form file is saved, a corresponding postscript file will also be generated. My assignment is to convert an existing postscript to the .frm file which could be used by the software. In other words, if the user has the postscript file...

convert html to postscript nicely?
Hi all, The issue is, i have problems converting html to ps. i tried html2ps. They dont give me proper formatting (tables, forms, frames, fonts, etc) as i wanted. Q: is it possible to call netscape/mozilla/library of w from ruby to print to ps without doing it manually by browser? Sinchai sin kanti wrote: > The issue is, i have problems converting html to ps. i tried html2ps. > They dont give me proper formatting (tables, forms, frames, fonts, > etc) as i wanted. Have you tried HTMLDOC? Check out this URL --> http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc. I use this package to auto-gener...

convert PDF to Postscript by javascript
I need to convert PDF to Postscript files: I know that my Acrobat 5 give me the possibility to save a PDF in Postscript but I would like to create a Javascript to have this thing in batch. I tried to modify an existing batch sequence and obtained this code <</Commands [/c <<>>] /Input [/c << /FileVariation [/i 2] /SourceFileOptions [/c <<>>] >>] /Output [/c << /AddToBaseName [/b false] /DontOverwrite [/b false] /FileVariation [/i 0] /HandlerUniqueID [/s (com.adobe.acrobat.ps)] /InsertAfterBaseName [/t ()] /InsertBeforeBaseName [/t ()] /O...

convert postscript to pcl (1200dpi)
My Magicolor 2350 can print 1200dpi in pcl5e only. Postscript is limited to 600dpi. How can I convert a postscript to a pcl file? I already found with google: gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=laserjet -sOutputFile=/tmp/$1.prn $1.ps but laserjet can 300/600 dpi only, right? So, somebody here knows a device with 1200 dpi known to postscipt? tia Ekkard Ekkard Gerlach <jack@aiai.de> wrote: >My Magicolor 2350 can print 1200dpi in pcl5e only. Postscript >is limited to 600dpi. How can I convert a postscript to a pcl file? I don't know that printer but maybe you try to solve a non ex...

Web resources about - PostScript to Troff Converter (*Not Troff to PostScript Converter*) - comp.lang.postscript

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Pitch Perfect 2 is an encore, a postscript, and a fresh start all at once
The movie sometimes feels like half a season of Pitch Perfect: The Series edited down to feature length.

Postscript from Albany at Johns Hopkins
Postscript from Albany at Johns Hopkins

Sunday Classics postscript: Poor Arthur Sullivan never knew how well he had succeeded as a "serious" ...
... waste your time and mine with bad performances, but at some point we may have to do it. I thought about doing it again for this little "postscript," ...