Setting pitch in a monospaced font

I've looked at the d�j�/google archives and didn't find anything obvious
to what *should* be a simple question....

Is there a way to take a monospaced font such as Courier , scaled to 10
points and having it print at a different pitch (for instance 10
characters per inch, 12 characters per inch etc) ?

I've looked at the "show"  variations such as awidthshow etc, but it
would require that I do a lot of legwork prior to each show command to
calculate how wide a string needs to be at the current desired pitch. If
I could modify the dictionary, it would be much easier since normal show
commands would then work.
comp.lang.postscript 3552 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

JF Mezei wrote:

> I've looked at the d�j�/google archives and didn't find anything obvious
> to what *should* be a simple question....
>
> Is there a way to take a monospaced font such as Courier , scaled to 10
> points and having it print at a different pitch (for instance 10
> characters per inch, 12 characters per inch etc) ?
>
> I've looked at the "show"  variations such as awidthshow etc, but it
> would require that I do a lot of legwork prior to each show command to
> calculate how wide a string needs to be at the current desired pitch. If
> I could modify the dictionary, it would be much easier since normal show
> commands would then work.

Look into the PLRM, the chapter on fonts, and read the paragraphs concerning
adding an additional metrics array to a font.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Look into the PLRM, the chapter on fonts, and read the paragraphs concerning
> adding an additional metrics array to a font.

I have the second edition and it doesn't say much about which parameters
do what in the metrics and metrics2 dictionaries that can be set to
change the pitch of a fixed width font. Hence my question here :-(
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Helge Blischke wrote:
>> Look into the PLRM, the chapter on fonts, and read the paragraphs concerning
>> adding an additional metrics array to a font.
>
>I have the second edition and it doesn't say much about which parameters
>do what in the metrics and metrics2 dictionaries that can be set to
>change the pitch of a fixed width font.

There's nothing magic about a fixed width font in this case. You would
include an entry in Metrics (rarely Metrics2) for each glyph name with
a revised width - the same in each case, I presume.

However, this is going to be pretty nasty. Fonts with different
pitches are more often scaled than just set further apart.

Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite (1321)
3/18/2006 8:02:24 PM
Aandi Inston wrote:
> However, this is going to be pretty nasty. Fonts with different
> pitches are more often scaled than just set further apart.

That's actually easier:

    /Courier findfont dup
    10 scalefont setfont
    20 34 moveto (ABCDEabcde01234) show
    12 10 matrix scale makefont setfont
    20 20 moveto (ABCDEabcde01234) show

                        Ross Ridge

0
rridge (559)

Convert PCL Font Pitch to Postscript Font Height
Currently I'm writing a PCL to Postscript-Converter. Unfortunately I=92m stuck on following Problem: in PCL there are commands for selecting Font Pitch and Font Height. Pitch is used for fixed-width Fonts, Height for proportional Fonts (Pitch =3D number of characters per inch, Height =3D Height in PCL Points (1/72 inch)). In Postscript I=92m not able to choose the Font size when I=92m receiving the PCL Font Pitch. May I calculate the Height, or is there a according command in Postscript? Ernschd wrote: > Currently I'm writing a PCL to Postscript-Converter. Unfortunately > I’m stuck on following Problem: > in PCL there are commands for selecting Font Pitch and Font Height. > Pitch is used for fixed-width Fonts, Height for proportional Fonts > (Pitch = number of characters per inch, Height = Height in PCL Points > (1/72 inch)). > > In Postscript I’m not able to choose the Font size when I’m receiving > the PCL Font Pitch. > > May I calculate the Height, or is there a according command in > Postscript? You could look at the /FontBBox entry in the font dictionary anc compute the scaling factor (ant thus the "font height") from the FontBBox and the pitch value you get from PCL. Note that this only makes sense for fixed pitch fonts. And note that the /isFixedPitch value in the /FontInfo dictionary isn't always reliable for determining if the font is fixed pitch or not. Helge In article <433c7a05-9c30-4549-bb0...

Re: how to set a postscript font
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030505040401000203000207 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit --------------030505040401000203000207 Content-Type: application/postscript; name="barcode.ps" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="barcode.ps" %! % % Code 3 of 9 barcode PostScript font % % FontDirectory /flow known{(flow in place--not loaded\n)print flush stop} % {0 serverdict begin exitserver}ifelse % - or - % 0 serverdict begin exitserver count/numstack exch def count numstack sub {pop} repeat /numdict countdictstack def countdictstack numdict sub {end} repeat 1 2 3 clear clear cleardictstack /Code39FontDict 8 dict def /workdict 19 dict def % load up drawing procedures workdict begin /slimwidth 6 def /widewidth 14 def % optimal wide/slim ratio is 2.25 /nslim 6 def % number of slim elements /nwide 3 def % number of wide elements /unit nslim slimwidth mul nwide widewidth mul add def /width nslim 1 add slimwidth mul nwide widewidth mul add def /T true def /F false def /gray 0 def /c39 { dup 0 get { b1 } { b0 } ifelse dup 5 get { s1 } { s0 } ifelse dup 1 get { b1 } { b0 } ifelse dup 6 get { s1 } { s0 } ifelse dup 2 get { b1 } { b0 } ifelse dup 7 get { s1 } { s0 } ifelse dup 3 get { b1 } { b0 } ifelse dup 8 get { s1 } { s0 } ifelse dup 4 get { b1 } { b0 } ifelse pop } bind def ...

Adobe PostScript Font Sets
Hello, there are certain fonts (like Helvetica), every PDF interpreter has to support. Unfortunately, a PDF interpreter like Acrobat Reader may not provide the exact font specified but rather a replacement. For instance, if I create a PDF file with pdfLaTeX which uses Helvetica, Acrobat Reader under Windows may use Arial instead of Helvetica for displaying the file. Now, according to http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/pdfs/ps3fonts.pdf there are 136 specific fonts every PostScript Level 3 interpreter has to provide. Can it happen that the same "replacement problem" appears with PostScript Level 3 interpreters? For example, could it be possible that I use /Helvetica findfont in my PostScript code but the PostScript interpreter uses Arial? Or could it be that different systems use different "Helveticas" so that the displayed text doesn't look the same on those different systems? Because I want to implement a logo in PostScript, it is very important for me to achieve the same look with every system. Furthermore, I'd like to know if there are font sets for Level 1 and 2 similar to this set of 136 fonts for Level 3. Thank you for any help on this topic. Wolfgang Wolfgang Jeltsch <jeltsch@tu-cottbus.de> wrote: >Now, according to > http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/pdfs/ps3fonts.pdf >there are 136 specific fonts every PostScript Level 3 interpreter has to >provide. That isn't quite what it says. This ...

Hot to set the default font sets?
my system.reg contains the following fonts [Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Fonts] 1139543017 "Bitstream Vera Sans Bold (TrueType)"="VeraBd.ttf" "Bitstream Vera Sans Bold Oblique (TrueType)"="VeraBI.ttf" "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold (TrueType)"="VeraMoBd.ttf" "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold Oblique (TrueType)"="VeraMoBI.ttf" "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Oblique (TrueType)"="VeraMoIt.ttf" "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Roman (TrueType)"="VeraMono.ttf" "Bi...

Fonts, font drivers, character sets and Unicode
This is a followup to a question I posted last year. I'm designing some outline fonts (see http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/creative/fonts/index.html for one of them) but I can't persuade OS/2 to recognize its supported character sets properly. The font is created using FontLab TypeTool, which claims to encode all its generated fonts using Unicode. It can export to either Type 1 or TrueType format; I'm mostly using TrueType. In the font header, I set the 'supported codepages' bits to all the character sets I have implemented; at present, I have: 1252, 1251, 12...

Setting the Font Family and Font Size in BoxWhiskerChart
Hello everyone, How can I change the font in a BoxWhiskerChart to Palatino? Gregory ...

postscript and pdf missing base postscript fonts
I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them. My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded in the pdf file. I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline. Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config, I find indeed that for e.g. Times-Italic, a pfb file is not indicated for the base postscript fonts. On my (postscript) laserprinter this is not a problem, I guess, because it probably has the base fonts loaded in the hardware postscript RIP in the printer. My questions are: 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for the base postscript fonts. 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot -> pslatex -> dvips ? 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based? Thanks Kreutzer On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, kreutzer wrote: > I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing > firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them. > > My first attempt met ...

Algorithm to combine or-sets of and-sets, where each element of an and-set is an or-set of and-sets
As part of an abduction procedure, see http://code.google.com/p/biohacker/source/browse/trunk/BPS/ltms/abduction.lisp if interested, I need to efficiently solve the following problem: Given an or-set of and-sets, for example, (:OR (:AND A B C) (:AND D E A)) and given a dictionary, where each element of an and-set is listed, with another or-set of and-sets as value, for example, A -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3 4)) B -> (:OR (:AND 2 3) (:AND 4)) C -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3)) D -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3 4)) E -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3)) find a new minimal or-set of and-set consistent,...

[FONT] create postscript command from a font pfa/pfb
Hello, I have a postscript font (the two files .pfa and .pfb). I want to use this font, but at only one size, into several postscript printers. I don't know how to load font into those printers. So I wonder if it is possible to create postsctip functions (new keys into the dictionnary) from this font to have static caracters. For example the code "1 drawfromstaticfont" will draw the caracter '1'. Or maybe something like " drawfromstaticfont_1 ". So what I search for : - create a postscript file which contains definition of some functions. This file can be inserted at the begining of the job to enabled thos functions - those functions draw caracters a the last 'moveto' place - I generate this postscript functions from a postscript font with a commande like : genstaticfont --font=/path/to/my/font/font.pfb --size=10 > mystaticfont.ps Is it something like this ? thanks :) -- yves piel yvespielusenet@free.fr wrote in news:1140008813.911906.274750 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: .... > I don't know how to load font into those printers. You just prepend the PFA file (which should be ASCII) to your PS code (which is text also). And then use it. As an example, if MyFont.pfa defines a font whose PS name is "MyFont", then it is simply a matter of prepending the following PS code with the content of MyFont.pfa : /MyFont findfong 20 scalefont setfont 20 20 moveto (This is MyFont) show showpage > ...to have static ...

Mac Font Book and Computer Modern Postscript fonts
I have the complete collection of Computer Modern Postscript fonts obtained from a TeX download and stored as individual font files with names like CMxxxx in my OS 10.3.9 usr/Library/Fonts folder, and they work fine with TeXShop. I can't seem to add them to Font Book, however. When I try to add them to the Font column in Font Book using the "+" button, all their names appear in the Find dialog greyed out (other fonts are active as expected). Does Font Book not handle Postscript fonts? Or is there something special about these CM fonts that Font Book can't handle? ...

Re: Setting the Font Family and Font Size in BoxWhiskerChart
BoxWhiskerChart[RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 1], 100], LabelStyle -> {FontSize -> 12, FontFamily -> "Palatino"}] Themis ...

monospaced fonts
Does anyone have any recommended public domain or freeware monospaced fonts for RISC OS? I've got "Optical B" and "SansMono" but wondered if anyone else could recommend any others. I like SansMono, but sometimes the l's and I's can be confusing. Paul -- Paul Vigay __\\|//__ Life, (` o-o ') the Universe --- http://www.vigay.com/ --------ooO-(_)-Ooo----------- & Everything ------ Quality Internet Services, Broadband & Hosting - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk Paul wh...

Postscript settings
I am enhancing a set of postscript plots, replacing the default vector fonts, etc. Some of the features of the plot, such as psym =3, psym =4, and the box around the legend, retain the thin vector font style. I am aware of the symcat and sym packages, but they do not offer thicker 'x' symbols or thicker but not filled diamonds or squares. Is there an easy way to do this without, for example, defining usersyms or manually redrawing the legend box? IDLgraphics writes: > I am enhancing a set of postscript plots, replacing the default vector > fonts, etc. Some of the features of the plot, such as psym =3, psym > =4, and the box around the legend, retain the thin vector font style. > I am aware of the symcat and sym packages, but they do not offer > thicker 'x' symbols or thicker but not filled diamonds or squares My version of SymCat certainly allows thicker symbols: cgplot, cgdemodata(1), PSYM=symcat(4, THICK=3), SYMSIZE=3.0 Do you need to update your Coyote Library? http://www.idlcoyote.com/programs/zip_files/coyoteprograms.zip Cheers, David -- David Fanning, Ph.D. Fanning Software Consulting, Inc. Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.idlcoyote.com/ Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.") A possible problem with switching from vector to postscript fonts is if you= are using the CHARTHICK keyword. I don't know if this is a long-standing = IDL bug, or a long-standing problem with the...

again: how to set a font
I want to set misc 6x13 as default font in Emacs 21.3. First I tried to use the font dialog. After setting a font in the dialog Emacs uses the correct font and the default face shows the font: misc-fixed semicondensed 87pt medium ... I saved this. But during the next startup of Emacs the used font is not the same. It is misc-fixed but in a different size. Why? T.M. put in your .emacs (eg. mine) : (set-face-font 'default "-B&H-LucidaTypewriter-Medium-R-Normal-Sans-10-100-75-75-M-60-ISO8859-1") if you want to list available fonts f...

Get Font's fullname given postscript font
Hi, I am a newbie to work on Postscript fonts. I want to convert the postscript font name to it's full font name, understandable by the HTML style "font-family" attribute. For e.g. if the postscript font name is "BodoniMTCondensed", I want to convert it as the font's full name as "Bodoni MT Condensed". I am working on .Net framework. Please let me know if this is possible and how to go about it? Regards, Parag. In article <1150095862.437458.265670@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, paragvm@gmail.com says... > Hi, > > I am a newbie to work on Postscript fonts. > I want to convert the postscript font name to it's full font name, > understandable by the HTML style "font-family" attribute. > > For e.g. if the postscript font name is "BodoniMTCondensed", I want to > convert it as the font's full name as "Bodoni MT Condensed". I am > working on .Net framework. > > Please let me know if this is possible and how to go about it? Well, its 'possible' but you are assuming this information is available in the font somewhere, this may not be the case. PostScript fonts are stored in the interpreter as dictionaries, and you can retrieve the dictionary containing the current font by using 'currentfont'. This will return a dictionary on the stack. The contents fo the dictionary are accessed using the 'key' associated with a 'value'. th...

Set of sets
Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? Cheers. On Jun 19, 10:43=A0am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? > > Cheers. I'm not sure what you mean. I'd write something like B=3D\{A_1,\ldots,A_T\} "Joris" <pinkse@gmail.com> wrote in message news:583b3c5c-a019-4be7-a936-876f06160b05@l28g2000vba.googlegroups.com... On Jun 19, 10:43 am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? > > Cheers. I'm not sure what you mean. I'd write something like B=\{A_1,\ldots,A_T\} Why not \cdots? Shouldn't you use \ldots when there is nothing following the dots? On Jun 19, 12:53=A0pm, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > "Joris" <pin...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:583b3c5c-a019-4be7-a936-876f06160b05@l28g2000vba.googlegroups.com... > On Jun 19, 10:43 am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > > > Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets= '? > > > Cheers. > > I'm not sure what you mean. =A0I'd write something like > > B=3D\{A_1,\ldots,A_T\} > > Why not \cdots? Shouldn't you use \ldots when there is nothing following = the > dots? I...

What is a monospaced font?
What is a monospaced or fixed-width font? This sounds to be a trivial question. A monospaced (fixed-width) font is a font where all glyphs have the same width. However on second thought, one remembers that some characters are required to have *zero-width* glyphs. Such characters are certain control characters (NUL, BS ...) in TrueType fonts: http://developer.apple.com/fonts/TTRefMan/RM07/appendixB.html http://www.microsoft.com/typography/tt/ttf_spec/ttch04.doc http://www.google.com/search?q=TrueType+zero.advance.width Then all characters with "zero width" in their name: http:/...

Setting font
I often write in Danish with LaTeX, and want to set the font to latin1, so that I can use the Danish letters without the LaTeX coding. I use emacs as editor. When I do this the way I was told, it doesn't work, and someone tells me that I have to tell emacs to use the latin1 encoding. I would like this to be set once and for all. How do I do this please? Thank you. -- Dieter Britz (dieterbritz<at>yahoo.com) On Apr 14, 6:54=C2=A0am, Dieter Britz <dieterbr...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I often write in Danish with LaTeX, and want to set the font to latin1, > so that I can use th...

set of sets
I thought rewriting __hash__ should be enough to avoid mutables problem but: class H(set): def __hash__(self) return id(self) s=H() f=set() f.add(s) f.remove(s) the add succeeds the remove fails eventually not calling hash(s). Thanks for help Paolino ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it Paolino wrote: > I thought rewriting __hash__ should be enough to avoid mutables problem > but: > > class H(set): > def __hash__(self) > return id(self) > > s=H() > >...

postscript font
I have a copy of a postscript program that draws a lot of little symbols and I would like to put them in a table in a TeX file using \halign or something like that. I don't think it will work for me to try to use the epsf macros to include the little symbols into their places in the table. I think that I can probably create a PostScript font by imitating the examples in my old copy of the Adobe blue book. So, let's assume I have a PostScript font. What is the simplest and easiest way to make it available to Plain TeX? -- Ignorantly, Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu> * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and * comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston. Am 16 Mar 2008 08:21:09 -0500 schrieb Allan Adler: > I have a copy of a postscript program that draws a lot of little > symbols and I would like to put them in a table in a TeX file using > \halign or something like that. I don't think it will work for me to > try to use the epsf macros to include the little symbols into their > places in the table. I think that I can probably create a PostScript > font by imitating the examples in my old copy of the Adobe blue book. > So, let's assume I have a PostScript font. What is the simplest and > easiest way to make it available to Plain TeX? Make a tfm (e.g. with afm2tfm). Put an entry for the font in your psfonts.map (with updmap): TFM-name FONTNAME <XXX.pfb ...

Postscript output with a unicode font character from a non-built in font
Hello, I am generating a postscript print file from my application (it's a fairly simple report with text and grid lines etc. on it). One of the characters required on the report is character 8597 (in hex 2195) from the Windows font "Arial" which is an arrow with up and down arrow heads and this is also a standard unicode character U+2195. http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2195/index.htm How should I go about printing this character from Postscript? At the moment I've done a workaround where I have used postscript moveto + stroke commands to ...

How to set font
Hi Folks, I am trying to set the font in the nodes of a treestructure based on a selective logic. I have a tree view of X number of users, and based on certain parameters, the font of a name in the tree view has to change from regular to bold, can some one out there guide me as to how to implement this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA "Clive" <clivy74@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b82c3c93.0405061355.12f5d70d@posting.google.com... > Hi Folks, > I am trying to set the font in the nodes of a treestructure based on a > selective logic. I have a tree view of ...

Set fonts in Pine 4.63 to fixedsys font like PC Pine
Thanks Eduardo for solving my previous problem on getting folders from PC Pine to Debian Linux/Mepis Pine 4.63 The fonts in Debian Pine are hard to read. Is there a way to tweak the pinerc file to have Debian Pine load Fixedsys fonts or something with a similar 'weight'? I've seen the entry in PC Pine pinerc that shows Fixedsys font. Is there a way to customize fonts in Debian Pine? *** loninappleton (elon@athenet.netet) wrote in comp.mail.pine today: :) The fonts in Debian Pine are hard to read. Is there a way to tweak the :) pinerc file to have Debian Pine load Fixedsy...

Web resources about - Setting pitch in a monospaced font - comp.lang.postscript

Samples of monospaced typefaces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

App Store - Nocs™ — text editor with Dropbox & Markdown
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Nocs™ — text editor with Dropbox & Markdown on the App Store. Download ...

Unicode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article contains special characters . Without proper rendering support , you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols . Unicode is ...

EtherPad: Minutes-PPIGA2014-sunday
EtherPad Server Notice : hide Public Pad Pad Options Import/Export Saved revisions Time Slider Save Cancel Import from text file, HTML, Word, ...

The Writing App Is Mightier Than The Sword
... elements when it comes to selecting documents, but the actual writing interface is amazing. The font is one of my favorites, personally (monospaced ...

wiki:syntax [Buxr Wiki]
DokuWiki supports some simple markup language, which tries to make the datafiles to be as readable as possible. This page contains all possible ...

Envy Code R preview #7 (scalable coding font)
It’s been a struggle but finally after countless hours here it is, the next release of my Envy Code R monospaced (fixed-width) font designed ...

Screenshot tour: Vimium Chrome extension provides ultimate keyboard surfing
Vimium is an incredible Chrome add-on for keyboard-only Web navigation. Its basic shortcuts are modeled after those used in the ubergeek-oriented ...

Dunwich Type Founders
Home Fonts Armitage Black Monday Downturn Lorimer № 2 Lorimer № 2 Condensed Recovery Sybarite Blog About DTF Contact Custom Type EULA About James ...

Finally, A Line Of Fan Gear For People Who Hate Sports
For me, it was 7 a.m. on a Sunday. I woke in my dorm room with a horrendous, mind-crushing, stomach-churning hangover, to a bunch of idiots yelling ...