[RELEASED] Python 3.1 Release Candidate 2

On behalf of the Python development team, I'm happy to announce the second
release candidate of Python 3.1.

Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and
changes that Python 3.0 introduced.  For example, the new I/O system has been
rewritten in C for speed.  File system APIs that use unicode strings now handle
paths with undecodable bytes in them. Other features include an ordered
dictionary implementation, a condensed syntax for nested with statements, and
support for ttk Tile in Tkinter.  For a more extensive list of changes in 3.1,
see http://doc.python.org/dev/py3k/whatsnew/3.1.html or Misc/NEWS in the Python
distribution.

This is a release candidate, and as such, we do not recommend use in production
environments.  However, please take this opportunity to test the release with
your libraries or applications.  This will hopefully discover bugs before the
final release and allow you to determine how changes in 3.1 might impact you.
If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report at

     http://bugs.python.org

For more information and downloadable distributions, see the Python 3.1 website:

     http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/

See PEP 375 for release schedule details:

     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0375/

Enjoy,
-- Benjamin

Benjamin Peterson
benjamin at python.org
Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 3.1's contributors)
0
Benjamin
6/13/2009 2:46:28 PM
comp.lang.python.announce 7374 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times a...

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times and denials of service. [1] Python dict and set types use hash tables to provide amortized constant time operations. Hash tables require a well-distributed hash function to spread data evenly across the hash table. The security issue is that an attacker could compute thousands of keys with colliding hashes; this causes quadratic algorithmic complexity when the hash table is constructed. To alleviate the problem, the new releases add randomization to the hashing of Python's string types (bytes/str in Python 3 and str/unicode in Python 2), datetime.date, and datetime.datetime. This prevents an attacker from computing colliding keys of these types without access to the Python process. Hash randomization causes the iteration order of dicts and sets to be unpredictable and differ across Python runs. Python has never guaranteed iteration order of keys in a dict or set,...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times and denials of service. [1] Python dict and set types use hash tables to provide amortized constant time operations. Hash tables require a well-distributed hash function to spread data evenly across the hash table. The security issue is that an attacker could compute thousands of keys with colliding hashes; this causes quadratic algorithmic complexity when the hash table is constructed. To alleviate the problem, the new releases add rando...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these releases is fi...

Re: pymozilla ([Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
[Brad Clements wrote] >I'd like to find out more about pymozilla.. It sounds very interesting pymozilla is is a proprietary application so I can't share the code. It's a modified python.exe with builtin Browser module - Python wrapped Gecko engine. Custom nsIProtocolHandler and zip-file-system Python module is used to get and load files(html,xml,css,images,Python code) from zip and to resolve and process all ".py" links and html forms. It's pretty like CGI, but no server is required. The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without installing anything (Mozilla/Python) Wiktor On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski" <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote: >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without >installing anything (Mozilla/Python) I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite. -- JZ JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes: > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski" > <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote: > > >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without > >installing anything (Mozilla/Python) > > I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite. What's the problem? Does Python not like having nowhere to save .pyc files? John "John J. Lee" wrote: > > JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes: > > > ...

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3 release candidate 1 #2
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm gladsome to announce a release candidate of the third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.2. Please try it with your packages and report any bugs you find. The final of 3.1.3 is scheduled to be released in two weeks. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode strings ...

RELEASED Python 2.3.2, release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1. Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.3.2 will follow later this week. For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see: http://www.python.org/2.3.2 Highlights of this new release include: - A bug in autoconf tha...

RELEASED Python 2.3.2, release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1. Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.3.2 will follow later this week. For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see: http://www.python.org/2.3.2 Highlights of this new release include: - A bug in autoconf that broke buildin...

RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
--==_Exmh_1079726856P Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.3 is a bug-fix release of Python 2.3. A couple of serious bugs related to weakrefs and the cyclic garbage collector have been fixed, along with a number of bugs in the standard library. See the release notes on the web page for more details. For more information on Python 2.3.3c1, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues...

RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
--==_Exmh_1079726856P Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.3 is a bug-fix release of Python 2.3. A couple of serious bugs related to weakrefs and the cyclic garbage collector have been fixed, along with a number of bugs in the standard library. See the release notes on the web page for more details. For more information on Python 2.3.3c1, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see ...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.4 rc 1 and Python 3.3.1 rc 1

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #2
> >WINDOWS >... Windows users may also be >interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of >Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an >IDE built using Windows components. > PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's = just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET = and RELY on platform specific "extensions". If it ain't cross platform, then it's VB. $.02/MHO Hornberger, Chris wrote: >>WINDOWS >>... Windows users may also be >>interested in ...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #3
""" What gives you the right to say this? *I'm offended.* Speaking of moral and ethics, there seem to be other things to care about, especially these days. Thomas """ Ok, so perhaps "moral" and "ethical" is slightly strong. Sheesh. Levity. Point being, if the developers of Python (and Perl and .... so on) spent = so much time and energy creating something cross platform, it should be = used thusly. I'm not saying it's "evil" not to do so, I'm saying that if = you NEED platform-specific tools (which, let's be h...

RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
Thomas,consider this: specialized_python.exe --path/foo.px (command line) where foo.px is zipped ctypes-venster program -modules,some code,binaries(images etc.) specialized_python.exe could be statically linked against C ctypes,and could contain ctypes and venster python code (freezed) (specialized_python.exe could also work as "regular" python.exe and successfully run ".py" , ".pyc" files) Now associate ".px" with specialized_python.exe and you have clickable packed python programs. To build such specialized_python.exe you would need your own PyRun_*N...

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3 release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm gladsome to announce a release candidate of the third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.2. Please try it with your packages and report any bugs you find. The final of 3.1.3 is scheduled to be released in two weeks. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode strings ...

Problem installing matplotlib 1.3.1 with Python 2.7.6 and 3.3.3 (release candidate 1)
Hello, I tried to install matplotlib 1.3.1 on the release candidates of Python 2.7.6 and 3.3.3. I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Although the installation gave no problems, there is a problem with Tcl/Tk. The new Pythons have their own embedded Tcl/Tk, but when installing matplotlib it links to the Frameworks version of Tcl and TK, not to the embedded version. This causes confusion when importing matplotlib.pyplot: objc[70648]: Class TKApplication is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/libtk8.5.dylib and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk....

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.2 release candidate
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm pleased to announce a release candidate for the second bugfix release of the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.2. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.1. This release candidate has been released to solicit testing and feedback over an possible regressions from 3.1.1. Please consider testing it with your library or application and reporting an bugs you encounter. This will help make the final 3.1.2 release, planned in 2 weeks time, all the more stable. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimizatio...

[RELEASED] Python 2.7.1 release candidate 1 #2
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm chuffed to announce the a release candidate of Python 2.7.1. Please test the release candidate with your packages and report any bugs you find. 2.7.1 final is scheduled in two weeks. 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals, dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3.1. Other features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a new sysconfig module, auto-num...

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 2

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 1

Web resources about - [RELEASED] Python 3.1 Release Candidate 2 - comp.lang.python.announce

Lists of films released by Disney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Independent Horror Movie To Be Released Via Facebook Game?
There are movies , and there are Facebook games , and there are even Facebook games based on movies . And now, thanks to Cardiff, U.K.-based ...

Senator Reid has been released from the... - Senator Harry Reid - Facebook
Senator Reid has been released from the hospital and is back at home with his wife, Landra. As previously stated, he went to the hospital as ...

How is the Facebook Redesign Affecting Social Games? October Gaming Charts Released
... attention now to social games. How has the Facebook redesign affected the top game developers on Facebook? Inside Social Games has just released ...

faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction: Source Code released http://t.co/oY18ohyd #faroo #search ...
faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction: Source Code released http://t.co/oY18ohyd #faroo #search #algorithm

→ 5by5 Radio app released
Nice app to listen to our shows live, and buying it is a great way to support 5by5. We discussed its features and design decisions in the last ...

Lil Wayne Released From Hospital After Sizzurp Overdose - ENTV
Lil Wayne has just been released from the hospital just days after Overdosing on Sizzurp or Texas Tea. He was put into a medically induced coma ...

Men arrested in London attack on Emiratis released - The National
Metropolitan Police in the UK said the men will return on bail in June and be reinterviewed.

Mark DeFriest: Prison escape artist ‘Houdini’ could be released
“IF I was a rapist or murderer they would let me out. But I’m the idiot who made them look like idiots.”

400,000 Western School Prawns released into the Swan and Canning rivers
A total of 400,000 Western School Prawns were released into the Swan and Canning rivers on Tuesday afternoon, bumping up the number of prawns ...