PyConZA 2016 - Call for Speakers

PyConZA 2016 will take place 6th & 7th October at The River Club, in
Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa. There will be two days of talks,
and we will hold sprints on the 8th & 9th of October.

We are currently accepting proposals for talks. If you would like to
give a presentation, please register at https://za.pycon.org/ and
submit your proposal, following the instructions at
https://za.pycon.org/talks/submit-talk . We hope to notify accepted
presenters by no later than the 9th of September 2016.

The presentation slots will be 30 minutes long, with an additional 10
minutes for discussion at the end. Shared sessions are also possible.
The presentations will be in English.

PyConZA offers a mentorship program for inexperienced speakers. If you
would like assistance preparing your submission, email
team@za.pycon.org with a rough draft of your talk proposal and we'll
find a suitable experienced speaker to act as a mentor.

In addition to talks, we are also looking for proposals for tutorials,
demos, sprints and open spaces.

Tutorials are intended to be more in-depth introductions to a topic
with a limited number of attendees. Tutorial sessions can be up to 90
minutes long.

Demos are cool things for attendees to see and interact with.

Open spaces are open discussion forums where communities with a common
interest gather to present views, ask questions and meet people
interested in the topic.

Sprints are coding efforts and hack days that happen after the conference.

There's no need to register a sprint or open space topic upfront, but
doing so allows us to advertise them during the conference.

--
Neil Muller
On behalf of the PyConZA organising committee

ANN: Vancouver Python Workshop
What's New? =========== We are pleased to announce the keynote speakers for this year's Vancouver Python Workshop: Guido van Rossum and Jim Hugunin. Guido van Rossum (Google) is the inventor of Python and has managed its growth and development for more than a decade. Guido was awarded the Free Software Foundation Award in 2002 and Dr.Dobb's 1999 Excellence in Programming Award. Today Guido works at Google, spending half of his time on Python. Jim Hugunin (Microsoft) is the creator of IronPython, Jython and Numeric Python. IronPython is Python for the .NET platform and integrates Python into Microsoft's .NET strategy. Jython is Python for the Java platform and was the second production quality implementation of Python. Numeric Python adapts Python to the needs of number crunching applications. Today, Jim works at Microsoft where he helps them adapt the .NET runtime to meet the needs of dynamic languages like Python. About the Vancouver Python Workshop =================================== The conference will begin with keynote addresses on August 4st. Further talks (and tutorials for beginners) will take place on August 5th and 6th. The Vancouver Python Workshop is a community organized conference designed for both the beginner and for the experienced Python programmer with: * tutorials for beginning programmers * advanced lectures for Python experts * case studies of Python in action * after-hours social events * ...

mutt-announce@mutt.org: Non-member submission from <python-list@python.org>

mutt-announce@mutt.org: Non-member submission from <python-list@python.org> #2

python and s-lang

Invoking Python from Python
Hi all, I have a need to create a Python script on the fly from another Python program and then execute the script so created. Do I need to invoke Python through os.spawnl or is there a better way? Thanks, -- John Am Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:10:25 -0800 schrieb John Henry: > Hi all, > > I have a need to create a Python script on the fly from another Python > program and then execute the script so created. Do I need to invoke > Python through os.spawnl or is there a better way? Hi, creating source code with a script, is no good solution. Once I had to maintain lisp code which stored its data in lisp code, too (incl. conditions and loops). It was a nightmare. Please explain what you want to do, and we will find a better solution. HTH, Thomas -- Thomas G�ttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/ E-Mail: guettli (*) thomas-guettler + de Spam Catcher: niemand.leermann@thomas-guettler.de In article <pan.2005.11.08.16.21.11.472836@thomas-guettler.de>, Thomas Guettler <niemand.leermann@thomas-guettler.de> wrote: . . . >creating source code with a script, is no good solution. > >Once I had to maintain lisp code which stored its data in lisp code, too >(incl. conditions and loops). It was a nightmare. > >Please explain what you want to do, and we will find a better solution. . . . Yes and no. There are times when it's justified. I ENTIRELY agree, though, that many people who *think* that's what they...

Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?
I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising public awareness of Python. The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic enough. An effective mascot has to have something approximating two arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various interesting situations and adventures. (At the very least, he has to be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!) Good examples can be found in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's Tux. So a snake is out. So are Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons for the Flyin...

announce: OraPIG (python wrappers for Oracle)
I'm pleased to announce the initial release of OraPIG, the Oracle Python Interface Generator. OraPIG generates Python wrapper classes for Oracle packages. If you use Oracle and Python, this might be a pretty useful package for you. Download it and let us know what you think! Cheers, Mark Download and docs: http://code.google.com/p/orapig ---------------- Quick Example: Suppose you have a package called tiny with a single procedure p: create or replace package tiny as procedure p(x in number); end tiny; OraPIG will generate a wrapper class that will allow y...

Announcing: python-ghostscript 0.1
Announcing: python-ghostscript 0.1 A Python-Interface to the Ghostscript library using ctypes :Version: Version 0.1 :Copyright: GNU Public License v3 (GPLv3) :Author: Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compiler.com> :Homepage: http://bitbucket.org/htgoebel/python-ghostscript :Download: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ghostscript `Ghostscript`__, is a well known interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF. This package implements a interface to the Ghostscript C-library using `ctypes`__. Both a low-level and a pythonic, high-level interface are provided. __ http://www.ghostscript.com/ __ http://docs.python.org/library/ctypes.html This package is currently tested only under GNU/Linux. Please report whether it works in your environment, too. Thanks. Example ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here is an example for how to use the high-level interface of `python-ghostscript`. This implements a very basic ps2pdf-tool:: import sys import ghostscript args = [ "ps2pdf", # actual value doesn't matter "-dNOPAUSE", "-dBATCH", "-dSAFER", "-sDEVICE=pdfwrite", "-sOutputFile=" + sys.argv[1], "-c", ".setpdfwrite", "-f", sys.argv[2] ] ghostscript.Ghostscript(*args) -- Regards Hartmut Goebel | Hartmut Goebel | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com | | www...

Announcing www.python-excel.org
Hi All, Google unfortunately has a knack of presenting prospective Python users who need to work with Excel files with information that is now really rather out of date. To try and help with this, I've setup a small website at: http://www.python-excel.org ....to try and list the latest recommended ways of working with Excel files in Python. If you work with excel files in Python, then please take a look and let me know what you think. cheers, Chris PS: If anyone reading this has a python-related blog, it might help Google if you could post a short entry about this new site. -- Simplistix - Content Management, Zope & Python Consulting - http://www.simplistix.co.uk ...

Announcing: Keynote Speakers for PyCon 2007
The PyCon organizers would like to announce the slate of keynote speakers who have accepted our invitation to speak at PyCon 2007! PyCon 2007 is taking place in Addison (Dallas), Texas on Feb 23-25 2007. For photos, biographies and more, check out: http://us.pycon.org/TX2007/Keynotes Ivan Krstić (speaking Friday AM) Topic: "The Python machine: Python and One Laptop per Child" Adele Goldberg (speaking Saturday AM) Topic: TBD (probably something related to Zope 3 and Education) Guido van Rossum (speaking Saturday Lunch) Topic: "Python 3000" Robert M. Lefkowitz (&q...

Announcing CherryShell a python shell in your webbrowser
A python interpreter embedded in a cherrypy webserver and controlled by webbrower. Powered by AJAX. Currently only version 0.10 and only works with firefox. http://john.thetrotter.net Also example of using cherrypy with AJAX (jsonrpc) ...

announce: OraPIG, python wrappers for Oracle
I'm pleased to announce the initial release of OraPIG, the Oracle Python Interface Generator. OraPIG generates Python wrapper classes for Oracle packages. If you use Oracle and Python, this might be a pretty useful package for you. Download it and let us know what you think! (and special thanks to everyone that helped me out with all of my tedious data dictionary queries a while back, I hope this package shows it wasn't a total waste of your time!) Cheers, Mark Download and docs: http://code.google.com/p/orapig ---------------- Quick Example: Suppose you have a package called tiny with a single procedure p: create or replace package tiny as procedure p(x in number); end tiny; OraPIG will generate a wrapper class that will allow you to use the package without having to use the various database calls. Instead, the wrapper class will be instantiated and called just like any other Python class: class Tiny: def __init__(self,curs): # instantiate class with a cursor ... def p(self,x): # call procedure p(x) ... Here's how it's used: import cx_Oracle import tiny conn = cx_Oracle.connect('scott/tiger') curs = conn.cursor() mytiny = tiny.Tiny(curs) mytiny.p(2) # call a procedure curs.commit() # not done automatically -- Mark Harrison Pixar Animation Studios ...

Announcing: python-ghostscript 0.3
Announcing: python-ghostscript 0.3 A Python-Interface to the Ghostscript C-API using ctypes :Copyright: GNU Public License v3 (GPLv3) :Author: Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compiler.com> :Homepage: http://bitbucket.org/htgoebel/python-ghostscript :Download: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ghostscript `Ghostscript`__, is a well known interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF. This package implements a interface to the Ghostscript C-API using `ctypes`__. Both a low-level and a pythonic, high-level interface are provided. __ http://www.ghostscript.com/ __ http://docs.p...

Python/ZCA Healthcare Project Announcement
--=-m1idFPmMh+iLmiI4NMXc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, I apologize for the length of and the cross posting of this announcement in advance but I believe it will be of value to you if you have ANY interest in the healthcare IT field. Even if you do not have interest now; you may well after you realize the staggering growth that is occurring in this sector. The healthcare sector is a very complex information management space. Healthcare IT applications are notorious for their lack of real interoperability. This of course increases the overall ...

Announcing the keynote speaker for the AUA conference
Simon Rogers of the Guardian will present the keynote address at the UK AUA Conference on June 19th. Simon edits the Guardian Datablog and Datastore—and is a news editor for the Guardian. He is author of Facts are Sacred. Simon is a data geek and has presented at data conferences around the world (O’Reilly, GigaOM, Google conferences). He will speak about the need to get to grips with data (mine, analyze, take action) and how it relates to the world of journalism. http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/simonrogers Use the link below to register for the conference. -- Roy UK Actian User Association Conference 2012 will be on Tuesday June 19 2012. Register now at https://www.regonline.co.uk/ukiua2012 The latest information is available from www.uk-iua.org.uk. ...

ANNOUNCE: nautilus-python 0.4.0
I am pleased to announce the first public release of nautilus-python. The new release is available from ftp.gnome.org: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/nautilus-python/0.4/nautilus-python-0.4.0.tar.gz I'd like to thank the following people, for helping me during the development: Sidnei da Silva, Gustavo Carneiro, Thomas Vander Stichele, Sebastien Bacher and Ross Burton. Sidnei da Silva is writing an integration tool for plone desktop: http://awkly.org/files/menu.png Ross Burton is writing a dpkg interface. Blurb: Nautilus is the file manager used by the GNOME desktop environment. Nautilus-python provides bindings for the extension API in nautilus. With help of it you can write extensions that goes beyond the standard shell script interface like context menuitems, additional list columns and property pages. nautilus-python requires nautilus >= 2.6.0, PyGTK >= 2.4.0, gnome-python 2.0.0 and Python >= 2.3 Bug reports should be made in GNOMEs bugzilla: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=nautilus-python -- Johan Dahlin johan@gnome.org ...

Open Publish 2007
CONFERENCE PROGRAM AND KEYNOTE PRESENTERS HAVE JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED FOR OPEN PUBLISH 2007. http://www.open-conferences.com/baltimore/sched-at-a-glance.html Open Publish 2007, bringing together professionals from both commercial and enterprise publishing environments to share and exchange industry challenges and solutions. Key topics discussed will be authoring tools and approaches, publishing standards initiatives, single-sourcing data, and content management. March 7-9, 2007, Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland Keynote speakers at this year's event include: M...

ANNOUNCE: Gnome-Python 2.0.3
Gnome-Python 2.0.3 is now available at: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-python/2.0/ Gnome-Python provides bindings for the Gnome 2.x development platform libraries. It builds on top of PyGTK, and includes bindings for the following GNOME libraries: * the GConf configuration database * the Bonobo component system * the Gnome-VFS file access library * support for writing panel applets and Nautilus views * the GtkHTML2 widget. * the Gnome-Print print libraries. Gnome-Python requires PyGTK, PyORBit, Python >= 2.2 and the Gnome 2.x development platform to build. PyGtk, Python and Gnome is usually included in your distribution, if not: PyGTK can be found on http://www.pygtk.org/ Python can be found on http://www.python.org Gnome libraries can be found on http://www.gnome.org This release was only possible because of all hard work made by Gustavo Carneiro. Changes since 2.0.2: * Bugfixes - Segfault when importing bonobo modules in emdedded python (Johan, Xavier) - Warning when import gnome module in emdedded python (Xavier) - Fix bonobo.event_source_client_add_listener name and argument parsing (Gustavo) - Accept None for link_id parameter of gnome.help_display (Gustavo) - Segfault in gnome.IconList.get_selection (Scott Tsai) - Fixes for some gnome.vfs_mime_* functions (Scott Tsai) - Fix crash in bonobo.activation.active_server_register (Gustavo) Questions about Gnome-Python can be d...

Open Publish 2007
CONFERENCE PROGRAM AND KEYNOTE PRESENTERS HAVE JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED FOR OPEN PUBLISH 2007. http://www.open-conferences.com/baltimore/sched-at-a-glance.html Open Publish 2007, bringing together professionals from both commercial and enterprise publishing environments to share and exchange industry challenges and solutions. Key topics discussed will be authoring tools and approaches, publishing standards initiatives, single-sourcing data, and content management. March 7-9, 2007, Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland Keynote speakers at this year's event include: M...

Notes from the Seneca Speaker Series talk on Python
The notes on the Python talk (formatted as S5 slides) that I gave as part of the Seneca Speaker Series are now available online: "http://cs.senecac.on.ca/speakers/docs/belotsky/". The talk is a brief tour on how to use Python in a complex project. This tour includes namespaces, Python's typesystem, descriptors, and refactoring of interfaces. It builds on my earlier, introductory Python talk at the same organization (which is Canada's largest college, with over 100,000 students): "http://cs.senecac.on.ca/soss/2005/presentations/george/index.html". This talk focuses on several very short examples, which show the immediate effectiveness (with minimal coding) of Python in diverse applications. If you like the S5 presentation system, you are welcome to download the theme from my slides, to use your own talks: "http://www.openlight.com/Python-S5-Theme.tar.gz". This theme modifies one of the original S5 themes, in order to give it a Python flavor. Best Wishes, George. ...

[News] Australian Linux Conference Announces Speakers

[Announce] boost.date_time library Python bindings
Hi. I am pleased to announce a new Python package - date_time. date_time package is a Python bindings for the boost.date_time C++ library. boost.date_time is a cross-platform and open source C++ library which is designed to provide a basis for performing efficient time calculations. The boost.date_time library has been created by Jeff Garland. boost.date_time library has: * good documentation * well defined interfaces * clear concepts * comprehensive unit tests The boost.date_time library home page: http://boost.org/doc/html/date_time.= html. The date_time package also has...

Announcement: depikt
Hi all, these days i make depikt, a python C-extension for building apps with gtk. It was a challenge for me and big fun. From its short description on sourceforge.net: "Python-3 wrappers for GTK. A minimalistic approach - just suited for GUI-building of apps, in no way for widget-building. Currently 1250 lines for 15 widgets with about 100 methods ... " depikt is advanced enough now to begin the transition of an 8MB python app of me to it - simultaneously with the transition to Python-3 and English. During this process depikt will grow to support for perhaps 25 widgets and 200 methods. From gobject it has connect(), connect_after(), handler_block(), handler_unblock() and handler_is_connected(). Still its status is marked as PreAlpha and depikt not entered to the Python wiki, because gtk_container_set_focus_chain() is defunct now - a vital method for fine usable applications. It's difficult to find out why - as it is the code was working for some time. depikt is very minimalistic: No python attributes of its classes, let alone properties No __repr__, no standard __init__ No support for set_property, get_property No real class hierarchy, there is one abstract base class Pikt, from which all concrete widgets are inheriting directly No exposing of Glib to python (but all i need from pango, cairo and gdk) Thus the code is very petty, well understandable and easy to extend to support for other widgets. That was the primary d...

ironpython (.net python) and dynamic langs on CLR
This might interest some of you :) A (fast) python implementation targeting .net and Mono has been released as open source today. Apparently this was announced at OSCON today. If anyone attended the talk I would be interested in hearing about it. I've been waiting for this for a while, not because I program in python but because it's supposed to have some good solutions for implementing dynamic languages on the CLR. Interestingly the author, Jim Hugunin, is going to join the CLR team at Microsoft and he (quote from website:) "will also reach out to other languages to help overcome...

Open Publish 2007
CONFERENCE PROGRAM AND KEYNOTE PRESENTERS HAVE JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED FOR OPEN PUBLISH 2007. http://www.open-conferences.com/baltimore/sched-at-a-glance.html Open Publish 2007, bringing together professionals from both commercial and enterprise publishing environments to share and exchange industry challenges and solutions. Key topics discussed will be authoring tools and approaches, publishing standards initiatives, single-sourcing data, and content management. March 7-9, 2007, Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland Keynote speakers at this year's event include: Michael Wash, Chief Technical Officer, US Government Printing Office Paul Jensen, Vice President, Content and Platform Management, Wolters- Kluwer Andrew Pate, Vice President of Business Development, Lulu.com The conference program will discuss key publishing issues including: Authoring tools and processes Content management tools Publishing system implementations DITA XML and related standards Database publishing XQuery Legislative Authoring Interoperability .... and much more A complete schedule and registration information is available at http://www.open-conferences.com/baltimore Sponsorship and tabletop exhibit opportunities are also available.http://www.open-conferences.com/baltimore/ exhibitors_info.html. Tabletop booths only $1,500. Open Publish is proudly presented by Allette Systems and aXtive minds. Please contact manager@open-conferences.com for additional information. ...

Web resources about - PyConZA 2016 - Call for Speakers - comp.lang.python.announce

Speaker of the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This speaker is almost as good as Sonos, but it’s waterproof and about half the price
The top of the line speaker from Sonos is the Sonos PLAY:5 , and it's pretty fantastic. In fact, it's one of the best wireless speakers out there, ...

How Bose's bad speaker system changed audio
Amar Bose's story shows the value of plowing profits into research and relentlessly studying technologies to get it right.

Speaker Ryan: Obama’s Cuba Trip ‘Legitimizes a Tyrannical Dictatorship’
During a press conference today about the terrorist attacks in Brussels, Belgium, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) said he did not think much ...

Kickstart this smart streaming Wi-Fi speaker
... the growing popularity of subscription-based services such as Apple Music and Spotify. Playing these streaming services through Bluetooth speakers ...

VIZIO Introduces P-Series TVs With Google Cast Built-in, Speakers Too
... you don’t need a Chromecast in order to Cast all of your favorite content to your new VIZIO TV. They also announced new soundbars and speakers ...

Vizio is bringing Google Cast to wireless speakers
... new SmartCast platform, based on Google Cast, isn't just headed to TVs. The company also revealed that it's working on a few wireless speakers ...

Speaker Paul Ryan Should Intervene Right Now In Risk Corridor Class Action
A class action lawsuit brought by a failed health insurer in Oregon against the United States over a federal program called "Risk Corridors" ...

Build your own Echo: This Alexa-powered speaker runs on a Raspberry Pi
The assembled Alexa-enhanced, Raspberry Pi-powered speaker. Image via Amit Jotwani, Amazon/GitHub Alexa, Amazon’s cloud-based AI assistant, ...

House Speaker Ryan says U.S. has 'plenty of money' for Zika - GlobalPost
US-HEALTH-ZIKA-RYAN:House Speaker Ryan says U.S. has 'plenty of money' for Zika