python-dev Summary for 2005-02-01 through 2005-02-14

[The HTML version of this Summary is available at
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-01_2005-02-14.html]

=====================
Summary Announcements
=====================

--------------------------
Giving myself a gold watch
--------------------------

As some of you may have already heard or read, I am retiring from writing the
python-dev Summaries after sending out the March 16 - 31 summary.  It has been
a long time coming and it required a kick in the ass (graciously supplied by
Steve Holden) to finally make me let go of doing this and let someone else take
over.

The joy of the Summaries has dwindled over the 2.5 years I have been doing
this.  I was only doing them to be helpful.  But now I would rather put my time
and effort I have for Python into coding work rather than the Summaries.  I
would like to think I can be more productive and helpful as a programmer than a
writer.  And so there will only be three more regular Summaries after this
written by yours truly.

But do not worry about the Summaries dying!  When I announced this (see
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051823.html for the
thread that led to this), three individuals stepped forward to pick up the work
once I step down.  Steven Bethard, Tony Meyer, and Tim Lesher are being
considered for picking up where I left off.  There is the possibility that they
will actually write the Summaries together as a team.

As for my last Summary, expect a more expository one with my random thoughts on
PyCon, Python, and anything else that comes to mind that I feel like using this
space to abuse.  You have Scott David Daniels to thank for that format idea for
my final hurrah.

------------
Go to PyCon!
------------

I just booked my hotel room for PyCon_.  You going to be there so I can shake
your hand, thanking you for supporting Python?

... _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/

=========
Summaries
=========

-------------------------------------
Python Security Response Team founded
-------------------------------------
For those of you who don't know, a security hole was found in XML-RPC servers
in the stdlib that use register_instance; details at
http://www.python.org/security/PSF-2005-001/ .

  This group's job is to respond to any and all security issues that come up as
quickly as possible and to issue a patch in a timely fashion.

... _Python Security Response Team: http://www.python.org/security/

Contributing threads:
   - `Wanted: members for Python Security Response Team
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051414.html>`__

------------------------------
Licensing issues in the stdlib
------------------------------
It was reported to python-dev that 'profiler' and 'md5 do not conform to the
Debian Free Software Guidelines.  The specific issue was derived works using
Python.  This is obviously not a good thing.

Things are in the works, though.  The hope is to get the copyrights signed over
and all of this cleared up.  At worst the modules will be replaced with code
licensed to the Python Software Foundation.  If you care to accelerate this by
writing replacements please do so.

Contributing threads:
   - `license issues with profiler.py and md5.h/md5c.c
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051450.html>`__

Replacing list of constants with tuple of constants
note: written by Tim Lesher

Skip Montanaro noticed that Raymond Hettinger had made a number of
library checkins replacing lists with tuples in constructs like ``for
a in [1, 2, 3]:`` and ``if a in [1, 2, 3]:``.  He agreed with the
motivation (the peephole optimizer can convert a tuple of constants
into a single constant, eliminating construction time), but questioned
hardcoding the optimization.  Instead, he suggested teaching the
optimizer about "throwaway" lists in ``for`` and ``if`` statements.

Guido agreed with the sentiment.  Raymond accepted the suggestion, and
checked in code to implement it.  There were some issues, though, but those
will be covered in the next Summary.

Contributing threads:
   - `list of constants -> tuple of constants
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051442.html>`__

-------------------
Complex I/O problem
-------------------
note: written by Tim Lesher

Neal Becker asked why the result of printing a complex number is not an
acceptable input to constructing a complex.  For example, ``print
complex(2,2)`` yields ``'(2+2j)'``; but ``complex('(2+2j)')`` throws a
ValueError.

A. M. Kuchling responded that many types, including 'str' and
'file' share this behavior, and that in any event, parsing string
representations is a job more suited to 'eval' than to classes
themselves.

Guido `reiterated the rules`_ for str() (used by 'print') and
repr(). Since both complex.__str__ and complex.__repr__
pass the eval() test, he pronounced it fine.

... _reiterated the rules:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051390.html

Contributing threads:
   - `complex I/O problem
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051388.html>`__

-----------------------------
2.3.5 and 2.4.1 release plans
-----------------------------
note: written by Steve Bethard

Anthony Baxter, Alex Martelli and Tim Peters squelched a bug where
deepcopy failed on instances of types that lacked an ``__mro__``
attribute.

The patch was pretty straight-forward (use inspect.getmro instead
of cls.__mro__), but coming up with a test case was hard --
creating a Python object that doesn't have an __mro__ takes some
complicated C code like that of Zope's ExtensionClass.  Fortunately,
John Lenton's c.l.py_ suggestion to simply raise an AttributeError for
__mro__ in __getattribute__ properly tickled the bug, and 2.3.5
was cleared for release.

Contributing Threads:
- `2.3.5 and 2.4.1 release plans
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/thread.html>`__

Clarification sought about including a multidimensional array object into
Python core
note: written by Steve Bethard

Travis Oliphant and others looked into the issues of including an
array object (like that of Numeric or numarray) in Python core.

Guido seemed hesitant, concerned that as Numeric_ and numarray_ continue
to co-exist, the array object wouldn't be the "best of breed" (one of
the requirements for inclusion in Python core).  Travis explained that
most of the disagreements are over ufunc objects, not the basic array
object itself, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to include the array
object without the ufunc object if necessary.  There was also some
suggestion that, at least for basic arithmetic operations, Numeric and
numarray mostly agree, so a stripped-down ufunc object for these
operations might also be inclusion-worthy.

In an aside that grew decidedly un-aside-ish, Paul F. Dubois, Guido
and David Ascher explained why matrix should not inherit from
arrayobject -- this would complicate __new__ and cause confusion when
mixed operands (arrays and matrices) are given to a binary op like
multiplication.

... _Numeric: http://numeric.scipy.org/
... _numarray: http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray

Contributing Threads:
   - `Clarification sought about including a multidimensional array object into
Python core
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051474.html>`__
   - `Numeric life as I see it
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051493.html>`__

--------------------------------------
More licensing issues - redistribution
--------------------------------------
note:: written by Tony Meyer

As most people know, one of the major changes between the Windows builds of
Python 2.3 and 2.4 is that 2.4 is built with VC7, rather than VC6.  One of
the consequences of this change is that 2.4 links with the Microsoft DLL
msvcr71.dll, which only some people have, rather than msvcr.dll, which
pretty much all Windows users have.

The Windows Python 2.4 distribution installs msvcr71.dll, so it's there when
needed.  However, those building frozen applications (e.g. with py2exe) need
to ensure that their users have msvcr71.dll.

After going through the EULA's for both the commercial and free-to-use
Microsoft compilers, it seems that redistributing mscvr71.dll is acceptable,
if the re-distributor owns a copy of the commercial (not free) compiler,
includes an EULA agreement in one of various forms (e.g. 'click-wrap'), and
follows various other minor conditions (note that just about every message
in this thread contains "IANAL, but").

This leaves those without VC7 unable to redistribute msvcr71.dll, unless, as
some suggested, distributing a frozen Python application can be considered
as redistributing Python (and the various other minor conditions are
followed).

In an interesting twist, it appears that the official Windows Python 2.4
distribution is in breach of the EULA, as a 'click-wrap' license is
required, and is not present.  This element of the thread died without
reaching a conclusion, however.

If you *are* a lawyer (with expertise in this area), and would like to
comment, then please do!

Contributing threads:
    - `Is msvcr71.dll re-redistributable?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051393.html>`__

----------------------------------
Avoiding signs in memory addresses
----------------------------------
note:: written by Tony Meyer

Troels Walsted Hansen pointed out that builtin_id() can return a negative
number in Python 2.4 (and can generate a warning in 2.3).  Some 2.3 modules
(but no 2.4 ones) have code to work around this, but Troels suggested that a
better solution would be to simply have builtin_id() return an unsigned long
integer.  The consensus was that this would be a good idea, although nothing
has been checked in yet, and so this will probably stagnate without someone
submitting a patch (or at least a bug report).

Contributing threads:
    - `builtin_id() returns negative numbers
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051559.html>`__

===============
Skipped Threads
===============
+ Son of PEP 246, redux
+ Re: PEP 246: LiskovViolation as a name
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Python future.c, 2.14, 2.15
+ Other library updates
+ Re: python/dist/src/Lib rfc822.py,1.78,1.79
+ Patch review: [ 1098732 ] Enhance tracebacks and stack traces with vars
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Python compile.c, 2.343, 2.344
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib xmlrpclib.py, 1.38, 1.39
+ ViewCVS on SourceForge is broken

========
Epilogue
========

February 01, 2005 through February 14, 2005.
It is intended to inform the wider Python community of on-going
developments on the list on a semi-monthly basis.  An archive_ of
previous summaries is available online.

An `RSS feed`_ of the titles of the summaries is available.
You can also watch comp.lang.python or comp.lang.python.announce for
new summaries (or through their email gateways of python-list or
python-announce, respectively, as found at http://mail.python.org).

This is the fifty-eighth summary written by Brett Cannon (3 more after this one).

To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org.  Do *not*
post to comp.lang.python if you wish to reach me.

The `Python Software Foundation`_ is the non-profit organization that
holds the intellectual property for Python.  It also tries to advance
the development and use of Python.  If you find the python-dev Summary
helpful please consider making a donation.  You can make a donation at
http://python.org/psf/donations.html .  Every penny helps so even a
small donation with a credit card, check, or by PayPal helps.

If you are looking for a way to expand your knowledge of Python's
development and inner-workings, consider writing the python-dev
Summaries yourself!  I am willing to hand over the reins to someone
who is willing to do a comparable or better job of writing the
Summaries.  If you are interested, please email me at
brett at python.org.

--------------------
Commenting on Topics
--------------------

To comment on anything mentioned here, just post to
`comp.lang.python`_ (or email python-list@python.org which is a
gateway to the newsgroup) with a subject line mentioning what you are
discussing.  All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas
discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on
something.  And if all of this really interests you then get involved
and join `python-dev`_!

-------------------------
How to Read the Summaries
-------------------------

The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be
found at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when
looking up any documentation for new code; otherwise use the current
documentation as found at http://docs.python.org/ .  PEPs (Python
Enhancement Proposals) are located at http://www.python.org/peps/ .
To view files in the Python CVS online, go to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ .  Reported
bugs and suggested patches can be found at the SourceForge_ project
page.

Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_.
Any unfamiliar punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it
is probably regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely
ignore it.  I do suggest learning reST, though; it's simple and is
accepted for `PEP markup`_ and can be turned into many different
formats like HTML and LaTeX.  Unfortunately, even though reST is
standardized, the wonders of programs that like to reformat text do
not allow me to guarantee you will be able to run the text version of
this summary through Docutils_ as-is unless it is from the
`original text file`_.

... _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
... _SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
... _c.l.py:
... _comp.lang.python: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
... _PEP Markup: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0012.html

... _Docutils: http://docutils.sf.net/
... _reST:
... _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html
... _PSF:
... _Python Software Foundation: http://python.org/psf/

... _last summary: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-01-16_2005-01-31.html
... _original text file: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-01_2005-02-14.ht
... _archive: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/
... _RSS feed: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/channews.rdf

0
Brett
3/7/2005 3:25:18 AM
comp.lang.python.announce 7374 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

python-dev Summary for 2005-02-15 through 2005-02-28
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-15_2005-02-28.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ------------------------ Status of the candidates ------------------------ It looks like all three candidates for taking over the Summaries (Tony Meyer, Steven Bethard, and Tim Lesher) have agreed to actually do the Summaries together. SO no break in the Summaries and I don't have to agonize over choosing a successor. ----------- PyCon Looms ----------- PyCon_ is coming soon! ... _PyCon: http://www.pycon....

python-dev Summary for 2005-02-15 through 2005-02-28
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-15_2005-02-28.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ------------------------ Status of the candidates ------------------------ It looks like all three candidates for taking over the Summaries (Tony Meyer, Steven Bethard, and Tim Lesher) have agreed to actually do the Summaries together. SO no break in the Summaries and I don't have to agonize over choosing a successor. ----------- PyCon Looms ----------- PyCon_ is coming soon! ... _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/ ========= Summaries ========= ------------- PEP movements ------------- `PEP 309`_ is now final since the 'functional' module has now been checked into Python. ... _PEP 309: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0309.html Contributing threads: - `PEP 309 enhancements <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051785.html>`__ - `PEP 309 <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051789.html>`__ ------------------------------------------------------ Indices for slices other objects with __int__ not okay ------------------------------------------------------ Travis Oliphant asked if it would be possible to patch slicing so that any object that defines __int__ could be used. Guido didn't like this idea, though. Float, for instance, has __int__ defined. Guido admitted h...

python-dev Summary for 2005-01-01 through 2005-01-15
This is a summary of traffic on the `python-dev mailing list`_ from January 01, 2005 through January 15, 2005. It is intended to inform the wider Python community of on-going developments on the list. To comment on anything mentioned here, just post to `comp.lang.python`_ (or email python-list@python.org which is a gateway to the newsgroup) with a subject line mentioning what you are discussing. All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on something. And if all of this really interests you then get involved and join `python-dev`_! This is the fifty-sixth summary written by Brett Cannon (I don't want to do my homework). To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org ; I do not have the time to keep up on comp.lang.python and thus do not always catch follow-ups posted there. All summaries are archived at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/ . Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_ which can be found at http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html . Any unfamiliar punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it is probably regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely ignore it, although I suggest learning reST; it's simple and is accepted for `PEP markup`_ and gives some perks for the HTML output. Also, because of the wonders of programs that like to reformat text, I cannot guarantee you will be able to run the text version of this ...

[...]

python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through 2005-01-31
===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ----------------------------------------- School sure likes to destroy my free time ----------------------------------------- A month late, that much closer to having this hectic quarter being over. Sorry for being so delinquent with this summary but school has kept me busy and obviously the Real World has to take precedence over volunteer work. Now if I could only get paid for doing this... =) And if you hate the summaries being late, you could do it yourself. This is not meant to be a flippant comment! I am always w...

python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through 2005-01-31
===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ----------------------------------------- School sure likes to destroy my free time ----------------------------------------- A month late, that much closer to having this hectic quarter being over. Sorry for being so delinquent with this summary but school has kept me busy and obviously the Real World has to take precedence over volunteer work. Now if I could only get paid for doing this... =) And if you hate the summaries being late, you could do it yourself. This is not meant to be a flippant comment! I am always willing to hand over development of the summaries to anyone who is willing to do a comparable job. If you are interested feel free to email me. I have now made this a permanent offer in the header in case someone comes along later and decides they want to do this. ---------------------- RSS feed now available ---------------------- Thanks entirely to one of my predecessors, A.M. Kuchling, the python-dev Summaries are available as an `RSS feed`_. The feed contains the titles of every summary and so will be updated with the newest summaries as soon as they are posted online. A full text feed will eventually be available. ---------- New format ---------- I have done a thorough restructuring of the boilerplate and the Summary Announcements section for the Summaries. The purpose of this is to make finding information in the boilerplate mu...

python-dev summary for 2005-07-01 to 2005-07-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-07-01_2005-07-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ------------------------------ QOTF (Quotes of the Fortnight) ------------------------------ Marc-Andre Lemburg provides perhaps the best summary to date of `how strings and Unicode should be used`_ in Python: To untie this Gordian Knot, we should use strings and Unicode like they are supposed to be used (in the context of text data): * strings are fine for text data that is encod...

python-dev Summary for 2005-03-01 through 2005-03-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-03-01_2005-03-15.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ----------------------------- Second to last summary for me ----------------------------- Just a reminder, after this Summary there is only one more left for me to write. After that Tim Lesher, Tony Meyer, and Steven Bethard will be taking over. ----------------- See you at PyCon! ----------------- PyCon_ is practically upon us! If you are going to be there, great! Please feel free to say hello if you run int...

python-dev Summary for 2005-08-01 through 2005-08-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-08-01_2005-08-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------- QOTF: Quote of the Fortnight ---------------------------- Some wise words from Donovan Baarda in the PEP 347 discussions: It is true that some well designed/developed software becomes = reliable very quickly. However, it still takes heavy use over time to prove that. Contributing thread: - `PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion <http://mail.p...

python-dev Summary for 2005-08-01 through 2005-08-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-08-01_2005-08-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------- QOTF: Quote of the Fortnight ---------------------------- Some wise words from Donovan Baarda in the PEP 347 discussions: It is true that some well designed/developed software becomes = reliable very quickly. However, it still takes heavy use over time to prove that. Contributing thread: - `PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055105.html>`__ [SJB] ------------ Process PEPs ------------ The PEP editors have introduced a new PEP category: "Process", for PEPs = that don't fit into the "Standards Track" and "Informational" categories. = More detail can be found in `PEP 1`_, which is itself a Process PEP. ... _PEP 1: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0001.html Contributing thread: - `new PEP type: Process <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055361.html>`__ [TAM] ----------------------------------------------- Tentative Schedule for 2.4.2 and 2.5a1 Releases ----------------------------------------------- Python 2.4.2 is tentatively scheduled for a mid-to-late September = release and a first alpha of Python 2.5 for March 2006 (with a final release = aro...

python-dev Summary for 2005-03-01 through 2005-03-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-03-01_2005-03-15.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ----------------------------- Second to last summary for me ----------------------------- Just a reminder, after this Summary there is only one more left for me to write. After that Tim Lesher, Tony Meyer, and Steven Bethard will be taking over. ----------------- See you at PyCon! ----------------- PyCon_ is practically upon us! If you are going to be there, great! Please feel free to say hello if you run into me (will be at the sprints and the conference Wednesday and Thursday; skipping Friday to see a friend). Always happy to stop-and-chat. ... _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/ ------------------------ 2.4.1 should be out soon ------------------------ Python 2.4c2 has now been released. Assuming no major issues come up, 2.4 final will be out March 29; day after PyCon. But in order to make sure no issues come up, we need the code to be tested! Please get the code and run the regression tests. If you are on a UNIX system it is as easy as running ``make test`` (``make testall`` is even better). The tests can also be run on non-UNIX systems; see http://docs.python.org/lib/regrtest.html on how. ========= Summaries ========= ---------------------- 2.4 should be out soon ---------------------- Python 2.4.1c1 was releaseed, but enough bug...

python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 to 2005-09-15
[Note: yes, this is *September*! All my (Tony's) bad, Steve has been =20= chugging away at the summaries like he should have. Extra apologies =20 for this one - it was approved by python-dev a while back, and I =20 didn't realise that I hadn't done the python-list post.] python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 through 2005-09-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-09-01_2005-09-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3...

python-dev Summary for 2005-12-01 through 2005-12-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-12-01_2005-12-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------------------------------------- Reminder: plain text documentation fixes are accepted ----------------------------------------------------- Want to help out with the Python documentation? Don't know LaTeX? No problem! Plain text or ReST fixes are also welcome. You won't be able to produce a diff file like with a normal patch, but comments that explain how to fix the docs are just as good. A form like "in section XXX right before the paragraph starting with YYY, the documentation should say ZZZ" will make it easy for the doc maintainers to apply your fix. Contributing thread: - `c.l.p post on docs <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-December/058479.html>`__ [SJB] -------------------------------------------- New-style exceptions patch requesting review -------------------------------------------- With `PEP 352`_ ready_ for Guido's pronouncement, Michael Hudson has asked for a few more developers to review his patch_ to make all exceptions new-style. It should be basically ready, but it would be nice to have a few eyes for sanity checks, documentation, and compilations on the various platforms. ... _PEP 352: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0352.html ... _ready: htt...

python-dev summary for 2005-07-01 to 2005-07-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-07-01_2005-07-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ------------------------------ QOTF (Quotes of the Fortnight) ------------------------------ Marc-Andre Lemburg provides perhaps the best summary to date of `how strings and Unicode should be used`_ in Python: To untie this Gordian Knot, we should use strings and Unicode like they are supposed to be used (in the context of text data): * strings are fine for text data that is encoded using the default encod= ing * Unicode should be used for all text data that is not or cannot be encoded in the default encoding Later on in Py3k, all text data should be stored in Unicode and all binary data in some new binary type. On a more entertaining note, Anthony Baxter describes the general outlook outlook on handling `threads vs signals`_: threads vs signals is a platform-dependant trail of misery, despair, horror and madness ... _how strings and Unicode should be used: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-July/054854.html ... _threads vs signals: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-July/054832.html =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summaries =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------------------- PEP 343 Documentation: Context Managers --------------------------------------- Raymo...

python-dev Summary for 2005-06-01 through 2005-06-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-06-01_2005-06-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------------- Bug Day: Saturday, June 25th 2005 --------------------------------- AMK organized another `Python Bug Day`_ on Saturday, June 25th. Hope you got a chance to help out! ... _Python Bug Day: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBugDay Contributing Threads: - `Bug day on the 25th? <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054126.html>`__ [SJB] ---------------------- FishEye for Python CVS ---------------------- Peter Moore has kindly set up `Fish Eye for the Python CVS repository`_. FishEye is a repository browsing, searching, analysis and monitoring tool, with great features like RSS feeds, Synthetic changesets, Pretty ediffs and SQL like searches. Check it out! ... _Fish Eye for the Python CVS repository: http://fisheye.cenqua.com/viewrep/python/ Contributing Threads: - `FishEye on Python CVS Repository <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054127.html>`__ [SJB] -------------------------------- PyPy Sprint: July 1st - 7th 2005 -------------------------------- The next `PyPy`_ sprint is scheduled right after EuroPython 2005 in Gothenborg, Sweden. It will focus mainly on translating P...

python-dev Summary for 2005-05-01 through 2005-05-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-05-01_2005-05-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------------------------- PEP 340 Episode 2: Revenge of the With (Block) ---------------------------------------------- This fornight's Python-Dev was dominated again by another nearly 400 messages on the topic of anonymous block statements. The discussion was a little more focused than the last thanks mainly to Guido's introduction of `PEP 340`_. Discussion of this PEP resulted in a series of other PEPs, including * `PEP 342`_: Enhanced Iterators, which broke out into a separate PEP the parts of `PEP 340`_ that allowed code to pass values into iterators using ``continue EXPR`` and yield-expressions. * `PEP 343`_: Anonymous Block Redux, a dramatically simplified version of `PEP 340`_, which removed the looping nature of the anonymous blocks and the injection-of-exceptions semantics for generators. * `PEP 3XX`_: User Defined ("with") Statements, which proposed non-looping anonymous blocks accompanied by finalization semantics for iterators and generators in for loops. Various details of each of these proposals are discussed below in the sections: 1. `Enhanced Iterators`_ 2. `Separate APIs for Iterators and Anonymous Blocks`_...

[...]

python-dev Summary for 2006-02-01 through 2006-02-15
python-dev Summary for 2006-02-01 through 2006-02-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2006-02-01_2006-02-15] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------------- QOTF: Quotes of the Fortnight ----------------------------- We had a plethora (yes, I did just say plethora) of quotable quotes this fortnight. Martin v. L=F6wis on the `lambda keyword`_: I believe that usage of a keyword with the name...

python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 to 2005-09-15
[Note: yes, this is *September*! All my (Tony's) bad, Steve has been =20= chugging away at the summaries like he should have. Extra apologies =20 for this one - it was approved by python-dev a while back, and I =20 didn't realise that I hadn't done the python-list post.] python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 through 2005-09-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-09-01_2005-09-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------------- QOTF: Quotes of the Fortnight ----------------------------- In the thread on the print statement, Charles Cazabon provided some =20 nice imagery for Guido's Python 3.0 strategy. Our first QOTF is his =20 comment about the print statement: It's an anomaly. It stands out in the language as a sore thumb =20 waiting for Guido's hammer. We also learned something important about the evolution of Python =20 thanks to Paul Moore. In the thread on the Python 3.0 executable =20 name, Greg Ewing worried that if the Python 3.0 executable is named =20 "py": Python 4.0 is going to just be called "p", and by the time we =20 get to Python 5.0, the name will have vanished altogether! Fortunately, as Paul Moore explains in our second QOTF, these naming =20 convention...

python-dev Summary for 2005-04-01 through 2005-04-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-04-01_2005-04-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------- New python-dev summary team --------------------------- This summary marks the first by the team of Steve Bethard, Tim Lesher, and Tony Meyer. We're trying a collaborative approach to the summaries: each fortnight, we'll be getting together in a virtual smoke-filled back room to divide up ...

python-dev Summary for 2006-02-01 through 2006-02-15
python-dev Summary for 2006-02-01 through 2006-02-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2006-02-01_2006-02-15] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------------- QOTF: Quotes of the Fortnight ----------------------------- We had a plethora (yes, I did just say plethora) of quotable quotes this fortnight. Martin v. L=F6wis on the `lambda keyword`_: I believe that usage of a keyword with the name of a Greek letter also contributes to people considering something broken. Raymond Hettinger on the `learnability of Python`_: A language suitable for beginners should be easy to learn, but it should not leave them permanently crippled... To misquote Einstein:=20 The language should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. Robert Brewer on `Pythonic syntax`_: Community consensus on syntax is a pipe dream. ... _lambda keyword: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/060389.html ... _learnability of Python: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/060420.html ... _Pythonic syntax: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/060556.html [SJB] -------------------- Release plan for 2.5 -------------------- `PEP 356`_ lists the release plan for Python 2.5. Check it out for the...

Web resources about - python-dev Summary for 2005-02-01 through 2005-02-14 - comp.lang.python.announce