python-dev Summary for 2005-03-01 through 2005-03-15

[The HTML version of this Summary is available at
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-03-01_2005-03-15.html]

=====================
Summary Announcements
=====================

-----------------------------
Second to last summary for me
-----------------------------
Just a reminder, after this Summary there is only one more left for me to
write.  After that Tim Lesher, Tony Meyer, and Steven Bethard will be taking over.

-----------------
See you at PyCon!
-----------------
PyCon_ is practically upon us!  If you are going to be there, great!  Please
feel free to say hello if you run into me (will be at the sprints and the
conference Wednesday and Thursday; skipping Friday to see a friend).  Always
happy to stop-and-chat.

... _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/

------------------------
2.4.1 should be out soon
------------------------
Python 2.4c2 has now been released.  Assuming no major issues come up, 2.4
final will be out March 29; day after PyCon.

But in order to make sure no issues come up, we need the code to be tested!
Please get the code and run the regression tests.  If you are on a UNIX system
it is as easy as running ``make test`` (``make testall`` is even better).  The
tests can also be run on non-UNIX systems; see
http://docs.python.org/lib/regrtest.html on how.

=========
Summaries
=========

----------------------
2.4 should be out soon
----------------------
Python 2.4.1c1 was releaseed, but enough bugs were found and subsequently fixed
that c2 release will occur before 2.4 final comes out.

Contributing threads:
   - `2.4.1c1 March 10th, 2.4.1 March 17th
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051832.html>`__
   - `BRANCH FREEZE for 2.4.1rc1, 0000 UTC, 2005-03-10
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051929.html>`__
   - `branch release24-maint is unfrozen, 2.4.1rc2?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052017.html>`__
   - `os.access and Unicode
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051906.html>`__
   - `RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051992.html>`__
   - `distutils fix for building Zope against Python 2.4.1c1
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052068.html>`__
   - `Python2.4.1c1 and win32com
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052080.html>`__
   - `Open issues for 2.4.1
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052099.html>`__

Getting state of all threads in interpreter
Florent Guillaume wrote some code for Zope that returned the current state of
all threads in the interpreter, regardless of whether they were hung or not.
Tim Peters suggested someone write up some code so that this could be made
available in Python itself.

Fazal Majid has volunteered to implement this.

Contributing threads:
   - `Useful thread project for 2.5?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051856.html>`__

---------------------------------
No new features in micro releases
---------------------------------
A bug in os.access() not allowing Unicode strings triggered the discussion of
whether it was a bugfix to repair the issue or a new feature.  In the end it
was decided it was a bugfix.  But the point was specified that micro releases
should never have any new feature, no matter how small.

Contributing threads:
   - `[Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Modules ossaudiodev.c, 1.35, 1.36
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051889.html>`__
   - `No new features
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051919.html>`__
   - `os.access and Unicode
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051906.html>`__
   - `rationale for the no-new-features approach
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051930.html>`__

-------------------------------------
Python wins Jolt "Productivity Award"
-------------------------------------
Python was runner-up in the `15th annual Jolt Awards`_ in the category of
"Languages and Development Environments", being given the "Productivity Award".
  Python is now award-winning.  =)

... _15th annual Jolt Awards:
http://www.sdmagazine.com/jolts/15th_jolt_finalists.html

Contributing threads:
   - `FWD: SD MAgazine.com - Jolt Awards Winners
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052008.html>`__
   - `Python 2.4 won the "Jolt productivity award" last night
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052246.html>`__

------------------------------
New built-ins: any() and all()
------------------------------
Python 2.5 gains two new built-ins: any(), which returns True if the iterable
passed to it contains any true items, and all(), which returns True if all the
items in the iterable passed to it are true.

Contributing threads:
   - `Adding any() and all()
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052010.html>`__

--------------------------------
Abbreviating list comprehensions
--------------------------------
The idea of allowing list comprehensions when the item being appended to the
new list is passed directly in was proposed: ``[x in seq if f(x)`` would be
equivalent to ``[x for x in seq if f(x)]``.

The debate on this one is still going, but my gut says it won't be accepted;
TOOWTDI and all.

Contributing threads:
   - `Adding any() and all()
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052010.html>`__
   - `comprehension abbreviation
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052059.html>`__

-------------------------
sum() semantics discussed
-------------------------
Guido's blog entry on `the fate of reduce() in Python 3000`_ (which reiterated
Guido's plan to cut map(), reduce(), filter() and lambdas (what about zip()?)
caused a huge discussion on whether sum() worked the best way possible.  As it
stands now, sum() only accepts a sequence of numbers (sort of; more later) and
its optional second argument works as an initial value to build off of.  You
can abuse the second argument to allow for adding other things (such as
``sum([[1], [2], [3]], [])``), but don't do that.  =)

The suggestion was put forth of making the second argument more of a default
argument if the passed-in sequence was empty.  Otherwise the second argument
would be ignored.  But further discussion solidified the idea that sum() works
quite well as it is and thus won't be changed in Python 3000.

... _the fate of reduce() in Python 3000:

Contributing threads:
   - `sum() <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052067.html>`__
   - `Rationale for sum()'s design?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052134.html>`__

-----------------------------
Experimenting with subversion
-----------------------------
note: written by Tony Meyer

Martin v. Löwis did an automatic conversion of the Python CVS repository to
(fellow Jolt winner) `Subversion`_, to see how well the process worked.  He
discovered that although the conversion process takes several hours, there
were only minor problems with the conversion.  It seems likely that if
SourceForge does offer subversion repositories, as they have indicated they
will, then Python will switch to this.  Martin plans to continue collecting
issues/complaints about the conversion conversion and to integrate solutions.

... _Subversion: http://subversion.tigris.org

Contributing threads:
    - `Migrating to subversion
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051873.html>`__

--------------------
Ordered Dictionaries
--------------------
note: written by Tony Meyer

A suggestion was made that hashed sets and maps that iterate in the order
that the keys were added to the set/map could be added to 'collections'.  The
original use case presented was to remove duplicates without changing order,
but it was pointed out that there are other, better, ways to do this.
Although better use cases were presented, the consensus was that (in Barry
Warsaw's words) "while the concept of 'an ordered dictionary' is nice and
seemingly generic enough, [the] exact semantics and other design factors
will either tend to push the stdlib implementation into ever more
complexity, or won't prevent people from continuing to roll their own
because the stdlib version 'isn't quite right'".  A `cookbook recipe`_ is
available, however.

... _cookbook recipe: http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/107747

Contributing threads:
    - `LinkedHashSet/LinkedHashMap equivalents
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051915.html>`__

-----------------
Easier decorators
-----------------
note: written by Tony Meyer

Nick Coghlan suggested that an update_meta() function be added that copies
across appropriate metadata of functions being decorated (such as __name__,
__doc__, and __dict__), to make the process of decorating simpler, and more
robust in the long term (e.g. if a new attribute should be copied in the
future, update_meta can be updated, rather than individual decorators).  A
`patch`_ implementing this behaviour was submitted.

... _patch: http://www.python.org/sf/1161819

Contributing threads:
    - `@deprecated (was: Useful thread project for 2.5?)
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051935.html>`__
    - `func.update_meta (was: @deprecated)
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052084.html>`__
    - `(no subject)
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/052161.html>`__

===============
Skipped Threads
===============
+ Re: python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through	2005-01-31
+ Documentation for __new__
+ Decimal & returning NotImplemented (or not)
+ itemgetter/attrgetter extension
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib/idlelib NEWS.txt, 1.49.2.3,
1.49.2.4 idlever.py, 1.22.2.1, 1.22.2.2
+ code blocks using 'for' loops and generators
+ can we stop pretending _PyTyple_Lookup is internal?

========
Epilogue
========

March 01, 2005 through March 15, 2005.
It is intended to inform the wider Python community of on-going
developments on the list on a semi-monthly basis.  An archive_ of
previous summaries is available online.

An `RSS feed`_ of the titles of the summaries is available.
You can also watch comp.lang.python or comp.lang.python.announce for
new summaries (or through their email gateways of python-list or
python-announce, respectively, as found at http://mail.python.org).

This is the sixieth summary written by Brett Cannon (sprinting my Spring Break
away).

To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org.  Do *not*
post to comp.lang.python if you wish to reach me.

The `Python Software Foundation`_ is the non-profit organization that
holds the intellectual property for Python.  It also tries to advance
the development and use of Python.  If you find the python-dev Summary
helpful please consider making a donation.  You can make a donation at
http://python.org/psf/donations.html .  Every penny helps so even a
small donation with a credit card, check, or by PayPal helps.

If you are looking for a way to expand your knowledge of Python's
development and inner-workings, consider writing the python-dev
Summaries yourself!  I am willing to hand over the reins to someone
who is willing to do a comparable or better job of writing the
Summaries.  If you are interested, please email me at
brett at python.org.

--------------------
Commenting on Topics
--------------------

To comment on anything mentioned here, just post to
`comp.lang.python`_ (or email python-list@python.org which is a
gateway to the newsgroup) with a subject line mentioning what you are
discussing.  All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas
discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on
something.  And if all of this really interests you then get involved
and join `python-dev`_!

-------------------------
How to Read the Summaries
-------------------------

The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be
found at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when
looking up any documentation for new code; otherwise use the current
documentation as found at http://docs.python.org/ .  PEPs (Python
Enhancement Proposals) are located at http://www.python.org/peps/ .
To view files in the Python CVS online, go to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ .  Reported
bugs and suggested patches can be found at the SourceForge_ project
page.

Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_.
Any unfamiliar punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it
is probably regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely
ignore it.  I do suggest learning reST, though; it's simple and is
accepted for `PEP markup`_ and can be turned into many different
formats like HTML and LaTeX.  Unfortunately, even though reST is
standardized, the wonders of programs that like to reformat text do
not allow me to guarantee you will be able to run the text version of
this summary through Docutils_ as-is unless it is from the
`original text file`_.

... _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
... _SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
... _c.l.py:
... _comp.lang.python: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
... _PEP Markup: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0012.html

... _Docutils: http://docutils.sf.net/
... _reST:
... _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html
... _PSF:
... _Python Software Foundation: http://python.org/psf/

... _last summary: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-15_2005-02-28.html
... _original text file: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-03-01_2005-03-15.ht
... _archive: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/
... _RSS feed: http://www.python.org/dev/summary/channews.rdf

0
Brett
3/21/2005 4:04:15 PM
comp.lang.python.announce 7374 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

python-dev Summary for 2005-03-16 through 2005-03-31 (my last)
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-03-16_2005-03-31.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== --------------- My last summary --------------- So, after nearly 2.5 years, this is my final python-dev Summary. Steve Bethard, Tim Lesher, and Tony Meyer will be taking over for me starting with the April 1 - April 15 summary (and no, this is not an elaborate April Fool's). I have learned a ton during my time doing the Summaries and I appreciate python-dev allowing me to do them all this time. Hopefully I will be able to contribute more now in a programming capacity thanks to having more free time. -------------------- PyCon was fantastic! -------------------- For those of you who missed PyCon, you missed a great one! It is actually my favorite PyCon to date. Already looking forward to next year. -------------------- Python fireside chat -------------------- Scott David Daniels requested a short little blurb from me expounding on my thoughts on Python. Not one to pass on an opportunity to just open myself and possibly shoot myself in the foot, I figured I would take up the idea. So here we go... First, I suspect Python 3000 stuff will start to make its way into Python. Stuff that doesn't break backwards compatibility will most likely start to be implemented as we head toward the Python 2.9 barrier (Guido has stated several times that there wil...

python-dev Summary for 2005-03-16 through 2005-03-31 (my last)
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-03-16_2005-03-31.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== --------------- My last summary --------------- So, after nearly 2.5 years, this is my final python-dev Summary. Steve Bethard, Tim Lesher, and Tony Meyer will be taking over for me starting with the April 1 - April 15 summary (and no, this is not an elaborate April Fool's). I have learned a ton during my time doing the Summaries and I appreciate python-dev allowing me to do them all this time. Hopefully I w...

python-dev Summary for 2005-01-01 through 2005-01-15
This is a summary of traffic on the `python-dev mailing list`_ from January 01, 2005 through January 15, 2005. It is intended to inform the wider Python community of on-going developments on the list. To comment on anything mentioned here, just post to `comp.lang.python`_ (or email python-list@python.org which is a gateway to the newsgroup) with a subject line mentioning what you are discussing. All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on something. And if all of this really interests you then get involved and join `python-dev`_! This is the fifty-sixth summary written by Brett Cannon (I don't want to do my homework). To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org ; I do not have the time to keep up on comp.lang.python and thus do not always catch follow-ups posted there. All summaries are archived at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/ . Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_ which can be found at http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html . Any unfamiliar punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it is probably regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely ignore it, although I suggest learning reST; it's simple and is accepted for `PEP markup`_ and gives some perks for the HTML output. Also, because of the wonders of programs that like to reformat text, I cannot guarantee you will be able to run the text version of this ...

[...]

python-dev Summary for 2005-06-01 through 2005-06-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-06-01_2005-06-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------------- Bug Day: Saturday, June 25th 2005 --------------------------------- AMK organized another `Python Bug Day`_ on Saturday, June 25th. Hope you got a chance to help out! ... _Python Bug Day: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBugDay Contributing Threads: - `Bug day on the 25th? <http://mail.python....

python-dev Summary for 2005-05-01 through 2005-05-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-05-01_2005-05-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------------------------- PEP 340 Episode 2: Revenge of the With (Block) ---------------------------------------------- This fornight's Python-Dev was dominated again by another nearly 400 messages on the topic of anonymous block statements. The discussion was a little more focused than the last thanks mainly...

python-dev Summary for 2005-12-01 through 2005-12-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-12-01_2005-12-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------------------------------------- Reminder: plain text documentation fixes are accepted ----------------------------------------------------- Want to help out with the Python documentation? Don't know LaTeX? No problem! Plain text or ReST fixes are also welcome. You won't be able to produce a diff file like with a normal patch, but comments that explain how to fix the docs are just as good. A form like "in section XXX right before the paragraph starting with YYY, the documentation should say ZZZ" will make it easy for the doc maintainers to apply your fix. Contributing thread: - `c.l.p post on docs <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-December/058479.html>`__ [SJB] -------------------------------------------- New-style exceptions patch requesting review -------------------------------------------- With `PEP 352`_ ready_ for Guido's pronouncement, Michael Hudson has asked for a few more developers to review his patch_ to make all exceptions new-style. It should be basically ready, but it would be nice to have a few eyes for sanity checks, documentation, and compilations on the various platforms. ... _PEP 352: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0352.html ... _ready: htt...

python-dev Summary for 2005-08-01 through 2005-08-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-08-01_2005-08-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------- QOTF: Quote of the Fortnight ---------------------------- Some wise words from Donovan Baarda in the PEP 347 discussions: It is true that some well designed/developed software becomes = reliable very quickly. However, it still takes heavy use over time to prove that. Contributing thread: - `PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion <http://mail.p...

python-dev summary for 2005-07-01 to 2005-07-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-07-01_2005-07-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ------------------------------ QOTF (Quotes of the Fortnight) ------------------------------ Marc-Andre Lemburg provides perhaps the best summary to date of `how strings and Unicode should be used`_ in Python: To untie this Gordian Knot, we should use strings and Unicode like they are supposed to be used (in the context of text data): * strings are fine for text data that is encoded using the default encod= ing * Unicode should be used for all text data that is not or cannot be encoded in the default encoding Later on in Py3k, all text data should be stored in Unicode and all binary data in some new binary type. On a more entertaining note, Anthony Baxter describes the general outlook outlook on handling `threads vs signals`_: threads vs signals is a platform-dependant trail of misery, despair, horror and madness ... _how strings and Unicode should be used: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-July/054854.html ... _threads vs signals: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-July/054832.html =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summaries =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------------------- PEP 343 Documentation: Context Managers --------------------------------------- Raymo...

python-dev Summary for 2005-05-01 through 2005-05-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-05-01_2005-05-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------------------------- PEP 340 Episode 2: Revenge of the With (Block) ---------------------------------------------- This fornight's Python-Dev was dominated again by another nearly 400 messages on the topic of anonymous block statements. The discussion was a little more focused than the last thanks mainly to Guido's introduction of `PEP 340`_. Discussion of this PEP resulted in a series of other PEPs, including * `PEP 342`_: Enhanced Iterators, which broke out into a separate PEP the parts of `PEP 340`_ that allowed code to pass values into iterators using ``continue EXPR`` and yield-expressions. * `PEP 343`_: Anonymous Block Redux, a dramatically simplified version of `PEP 340`_, which removed the looping nature of the anonymous blocks and the injection-of-exceptions semantics for generators. * `PEP 3XX`_: User Defined ("with") Statements, which proposed non-looping anonymous blocks accompanied by finalization semantics for iterators and generators in for loops. Various details of each of these proposals are discussed below in the sections: 1. `Enhanced Iterators`_ 2. `Separate APIs for Iterators and Anonymous Blocks`_...

python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 to 2005-09-15
[Note: yes, this is *September*! All my (Tony's) bad, Steve has been =20= chugging away at the summaries like he should have. Extra apologies =20 for this one - it was approved by python-dev a while back, and I =20 didn't realise that I hadn't done the python-list post.] python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 through 2005-09-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-09-01_2005-09-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3...

python-dev Summary for 2006-03-01 through 2006-03-15
python-dev Summary for 2006-03-01 through 2006-03-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2006-03-01_2006-03-15] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------- Webstats for python.org ----------------------- Thomas Wouters set up webalizer on dinsdale.python.org and added webstats for all subsites of python.org: * http://www.python.org/webstats/ * http://beta.python.org/webstats/ * http://bugs.python.org/webstats/ * http://planet.python.org/webstats/ * http://docs.python.org/webstats/ * http://svn.python.org/webstats/ Check 'em out if you're interested! Contributing thread: - `Webstats for www.python.org et al. <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-March/061930.html>`__ [SJB] --------------------------- Python 2.5 release schedule --------------------------- The first releases scheduled for Python 2.5 are quickly approaching.=20 Check `PEP 356`_ for details, but the first alpha is due on April 1st. ... _PEP 356: http://www.python.org/doc/peps/pep-0356/ Contributing thread: - `2.5 release schedule? <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-March/062185.html>`__ [SJB] ----------- Py3K branch ----------- Guido has begun work on Py3K, starting a new branch to rip out some stuff lik...

python-dev Summary for 2005-08-01 through 2005-08-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-08-01_2005-08-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ---------------------------- QOTF: Quote of the Fortnight ---------------------------- Some wise words from Donovan Baarda in the PEP 347 discussions: It is true that some well designed/developed software becomes = reliable very quickly. However, it still takes heavy use over time to prove that. Contributing thread: - `PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055105.html>`__ [SJB] ------------ Process PEPs ------------ The PEP editors have introduced a new PEP category: "Process", for PEPs = that don't fit into the "Standards Track" and "Informational" categories. = More detail can be found in `PEP 1`_, which is itself a Process PEP. ... _PEP 1: http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0001.html Contributing thread: - `new PEP type: Process <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055361.html>`__ [TAM] ----------------------------------------------- Tentative Schedule for 2.4.2 and 2.5a1 Releases ----------------------------------------------- Python 2.4.2 is tentatively scheduled for a mid-to-late September = release and a first alpha of Python 2.5 for March 2006 (with a final release = aro...

[...]

[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-06-01_2005-06-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------------- Bug Day: Saturday, June 25th 2005 --------------------------------- AMK organized another `Python Bug Day`_ on Saturday, June 25th. Hope you got a chance to help out! ... _Python Bug Day: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBugDay Contributing Threads: - `Bug day on the 25th? <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054126.html>`__ [SJB] ---------------------- FishEye for Python CVS ---------------------- Peter Moore has kindly set up `Fish Eye for the Python CVS repository`_. FishEye is a repository browsing, searching, analysis and monitoring tool, with great features like RSS feeds, Synthetic changesets, Pretty ediffs and SQL like searches. Check it out! ... _Fish Eye for the Python CVS repository: http://fisheye.cenqua.com/viewrep/python/ Contributing Threads: - `FishEye on Python CVS Repository <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054127.html>`__ [SJB] -------------------------------- PyPy Sprint: July 1st - 7th 2005 -------------------------------- The next `PyPy`_ sprint is scheduled right after EuroPython 2005 in Gothenborg, Sweden. It will focus mainly on translating P...

python-dev Summary for 2005-04-01 through 2005-04-15
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-04-01_2005-04-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D --------------------------- New python-dev summary team --------------------------- This summary marks the first by the team of Steve Bethard, Tim Lesher, and Tony Meyer. We're trying a collaborative approach to the summaries: each fortnight, we'll be getting together in a virtual smoke-filled back room to divide up ...

python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 to 2005-09-15
[Note: yes, this is *September*! All my (Tony's) bad, Steve has been =20= chugging away at the summaries like he should have. Extra apologies =20 for this one - it was approved by python-dev a while back, and I =20 didn't realise that I hadn't done the python-list post.] python-dev Summary for 2005-09-01 through 2005-09-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-09-01_2005-09-15.html] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------------- QOTF: Quotes of the Fortnight ----------------------------- In the thread on the print statement, Charles Cazabon provided some =20 nice imagery for Guido's Python 3.0 strategy. Our first QOTF is his =20 comment about the print statement: It's an anomaly. It stands out in the language as a sore thumb =20 waiting for Guido's hammer. We also learned something important about the evolution of Python =20 thanks to Paul Moore. In the thread on the Python 3.0 executable =20 name, Greg Ewing worried that if the Python 3.0 executable is named =20 "py": Python 4.0 is going to just be called "p", and by the time we =20 get to Python 5.0, the name will have vanished altogether! Fortunately, as Paul Moore explains in our second QOTF, these naming =20 convention...

python-dev Summary for 2006-03-01 through 2006-03-15
python-dev Summary for 2006-03-01 through 2006-03-15 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ... contents:: [The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2006-03-01_2006-03-15] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Announcements =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D ----------------------- Webstats for python.org ----------------------- Thomas Wouters set up webalizer on dinsdale.python.org and added webstats for all subsites of python.org: * http://www.python.org/webstats/ * http://beta.python.org/webstats/ * http://bugs.python.or...

python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through 2005-01-31
===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ----------------------------------------- School sure likes to destroy my free time ----------------------------------------- A month late, that much closer to having this hectic quarter being over. Sorry for being so delinquent with this summary but school has kept me busy and obviously the Real World has to take precedence over volunteer work. Now if I could only get paid for doing this... =) And if you hate the summaries being late, you could do it yourself. This is not meant to be a flippant comment! I am always w...

python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through 2005-01-31
===================== Summary Announcements ===================== ----------------------------------------- School sure likes to destroy my free time ----------------------------------------- A month late, that much closer to having this hectic quarter being over. Sorry for being so delinquent with this summary but school has kept me busy and obviously the Real World has to take precedence over volunteer work. Now if I could only get paid for doing this... =) And if you hate the summaries being late, you could do it yourself. This is not meant to be a flippant comment! I am always willing to hand over development of the summaries to anyone who is willing to do a comparable job. If you are interested feel free to email me. I have now made this a permanent offer in the header in case someone comes along later and decides they want to do this. ---------------------- RSS feed now available ---------------------- Thanks entirely to one of my predecessors, A.M. Kuchling, the python-dev Summaries are available as an `RSS feed`_. The feed contains the titles of every summary and so will be updated with the newest summaries as soon as they are posted online. A full text feed will eventually be available. ---------- New format ---------- I have done a thorough restructuring of the boilerplate and the Summary Announcements section for the Summaries. The purpose of this is to make finding information in the boilerplate mu...

python-dev Summary for 2005-02-01 through 2005-02-14
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-01_2005-02-14.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== -------------------------- Giving myself a gold watch -------------------------- As some of you may have already heard or read, I am retiring from writing the python-dev Summaries after sending out the March 16 - 31 summary. It has been a long time coming and it required a kick in the ass (graciously supplied by Steve Holden) to finally make me let go of doing this and let someone else take over. The joy of the Summaries has dwindled over the 2.5 years I have been doing this. I was only doing them to be helpful. But now I would rather put my time and effort I have for Python into coding work rather than the Summaries. I would like to think I can be more productive and helpful as a programmer than a writer. And so there will only be three more regular Summaries after this written by yours truly. But do not worry about the Summaries dying! When I announced this (see http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051823.html for the thread that led to this), three individuals stepped forward to pick up the work once I step down. Steven Bethard, Tony Meyer, and Tim Lesher are being considered for picking up where I left off. There is the possibility that they will actually write the Summaries together as a team. As for my last Summary,...

python-dev Summary for 2005-02-01 through 2005-02-14
[The HTML version of this Summary is available at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-01_2005-02-14.html] ===================== Summary Announcements ===================== -------------------------- Giving myself a gold watch -------------------------- As some of you may have already heard or read, I am retiring from writing the python-dev Summaries after sending out the March 16 - 31 summary. It has been a long time coming and it required a kick in the ass (graciously supplied by Steve Holden) to finally make me let go of doing this and let someone else take over. The joy of ...

Web resources about - python-dev Summary for 2005-03-01 through 2005-03-15 - comp.lang.python.announce