RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)

--==_Exmh_1079726856P

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1).

Python 2.3.3 is a bug-fix release of Python 2.3. A couple of serious
bugs related to weakrefs and the cyclic garbage collector have been
fixed, along with a number of bugs in the standard library. See the
release notes on the web page for more details.

For more information on Python 2.3.3c1, including download links for
various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see

    http://www.python.org/2.3.3

Highlights of this new release include:

  - A couple of serious bugs in the interactions of weakrefs and
    cyclic GC have been squashed.
  - At shutdown, the second call to the cyclic garbage collector has
    been removed. This caused more problems than it solved.
  - The xml.parsers.expat module now provides Expat 1.95.7.
  - urllib2's HTTP Digest Auth support works again.
  - See http://www.python.org/2.3.3/NEWS.html for other bugfixes.

Highlights of the previous major Python release (2.3) are available
from the Python 2.3 page, at

    http://www.python.org/2.3/highlights.html

A final version of Python 2.3.3 should follow in a couple of weeks,
just in time for your Christmas stockings.

Enjoy the new release,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
anthony@python.org
Python 2.3.x Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

--==_Exmh_1079726856P

--==_Exmh_1079726856P--

0
Anthony
12/5/2003 2:40:53 PM
comp.lang.python.announce 7374 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times and denials of service. [1] Python dict and set types use hash tables to provide amortized constant time operations. Hash tables require a well-distributed hash function to spread data evenly across the hash table. The security issue is that an attacker could compute thousands of keys with colliding hashes; this causes quadratic algorithmic complexity when the hash table is constructed. To alleviate the problem, the new releases add randomization to the hashing of Python's string types (bytes/str in Python 3 and str/unicode in Python 2), datetime.date, and datetime.datetime. This prevents an attacker from computing colliding keys of these types without access to the Python process. Hash randomization causes the iteration order of dicts and sets to be unpredictable and differ across Python runs. Python has never guaranteed iteration order of keys in a dict or set,...

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times a...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times and denials of service. [1] Python dict and set types use hash tables to provide amortized constant time operations. Hash tables require a well-distributed hash function to spread data evenly across the hash table. The security issue is that an attacker could compute thousands of keys with colliding hashes; this causes quadratic algorithmic complexity when the hash table is constructed. To alleviate the problem, the new releases add rando...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these releases is fi...

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3 release candidate 1 #2
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm gladsome to announce a release candidate of the third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.2. Please try it with your packages and report any bugs you find. The final of 3.1.3 is scheduled to be released in two weeks. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode strings ...

Re: pymozilla ([Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
[Brad Clements wrote] >I'd like to find out more about pymozilla.. It sounds very interesting pymozilla is is a proprietary application so I can't share the code. It's a modified python.exe with builtin Browser module - Python wrapped Gecko engine. Custom nsIProtocolHandler and zip-file-system Python module is used to get and load files(html,xml,css,images,Python code) from zip and to resolve and process all ".py" links and html forms. It's pretty like CGI, but no server is required. The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without installing anything (Mozilla/Python) Wiktor On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski" <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote: >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without >installing anything (Mozilla/Python) I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite. -- JZ JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes: > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski" > <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote: > > >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without > >installing anything (Mozilla/Python) > > I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite. What's the problem? Does Python not like having nowhere to save .pyc files? John "John J. Lee" wrote: > > JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes: > > > ...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.4 rc 1 and Python 3.3.1 rc 1

Problem installing matplotlib 1.3.1 with Python 2.7.6 and 3.3.3 (release candidate 1)
Hello, I tried to install matplotlib 1.3.1 on the release candidates of Python 2.7.6 and 3.3.3. I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Although the installation gave no problems, there is a problem with Tcl/Tk. The new Pythons have their own embedded Tcl/Tk, but when installing matplotlib it links to the Frameworks version of Tcl and TK, not to the embedded version. This causes confusion when importing matplotlib.pyplot: objc[70648]: Class TKApplication is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/libtk8.5.dylib and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk....

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 1

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 2

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3 release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm gladsome to announce a release candidate of the third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.2. Please try it with your packages and report any bugs you find. The final of 3.1.3 is scheduled to be released in two weeks. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode strings ...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #3
""" What gives you the right to say this? *I'm offended.* Speaking of moral and ethics, there seem to be other things to care about, especially these days. Thomas """ Ok, so perhaps "moral" and "ethical" is slightly strong. Sheesh. Levity. Point being, if the developers of Python (and Perl and .... so on) spent = so much time and energy creating something cross platform, it should be = used thusly. I'm not saying it's "evil" not to do so, I'm saying that if = you NEED platform-specific tools (which, let's be h...

RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
Thomas,consider this: specialized_python.exe --path/foo.px (command line) where foo.px is zipped ctypes-venster program -modules,some code,binaries(images etc.) specialized_python.exe could be statically linked against C ctypes,and could contain ctypes and venster python code (freezed) (specialized_python.exe could also work as "regular" python.exe and successfully run ".py" , ".pyc" files) Now associate ".px" with specialized_python.exe and you have clickable packed python programs. To build such specialized_python.exe you would need your own PyRun_*N...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.5 and Python 3.3.2

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.5 and Python 3.3.2

RELEASED Python 2.3.2, release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1. Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.3.2 will follow later this week. For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see: http://www.python.org/2.3.2 Highlights of this new release include: - A bug in autoconf that broke buildin...

RELEASED Python 2.3.2, release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1. Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.3.2 will follow later this week. For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see: http://www.python.org/2.3.2 Highlights of this new release include: - A bug in autoconf that broke building on HP/UX systems is fixed. - A bug in the Python configure script that meant os.fsync() was never available is fixed. Highlights of the previous major Python release (2.3) are available from the Python 2.3 page, at http://www.python.org/2.3/highlights.html Many apologies for the flaws in 2.3.1 - the final 2.3.2 release should address the problems. Enjoy the new release, Anthony Anthony Baxter anthony@python.org Python 2.3.2 Release Manager (on behalf of the entire python-dev team) ...

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.4 release candidate 1

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.0 release candidate 2

Web resources about - RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1) - comp.lang.python.announce

Candidate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For Nominee redirects here. For the financial term, see Nominee account , see Candidate (disambiguation) . In the context of elections for public ...

Question of the day: Best electric sleeper candidate?
... swap, into which vehicle, would give you the best electric sleeper? Continue reading Question of the day: Best electric sleeper candidate? ...

Is Hillary Clinton An NRA Candidate After All? Worse
... shameful career in politics. No one who knows anything about her would deny she would take money from any source. (Unlike less dishonest candidates, ...

Who's the best candidate to run the US economy?
As a dozen states hold presidential contests, who do you think is the best candidate to run the US economy?

This Rapper Just Revealed Which Candidate He’s Supporting For President
This Rapper Just Revealed Which Candidate He’s Supporting For President

Ted Cruz: God wants the other candidates to drop out
... also-rans to check in with t heir maker and do the right thing—clear the way for him to be destroyed one-on-one against Trump. "For the candidates ...

An Incredibly Dorky Look At Each Presidential Candidate's Technology Stack
Which candidate has the most cookies? Who's using MailChimp? Let's dig into the details beneath the campaign sites. The prevailing media narrative ...

How Can Universities Minimize Suffering For Ph.D Candidates?
How can we redesign the Ph.D experience in order to minimize suffering for graduate students? This question was originally answered on Quora ...

Trump, Romney feud erupts with Mitt calling Donald a 'phony' and 'fraud', Trump calling Mitt a 'failed ...
Trump, Romney feud erupts with Mitt calling Donald a 'phony' and 'fraud', Trump calling Mitt a 'failed candidate'

Democrats Less Convinced Candidates Have Good Ideas
Slightly more than half of Americans think presidential candidates have come up with good ideas for solving the nation's most important problem. ...