"IX" as shorthand for "Interface"

I'm writing a bunch of classes that have "Interface" in the name and
find that the length of the subsequent names is starting to get in the
way of readability (I don't really care about saving keystrokes).  Is
"IX" conventional enough to use in place of "Interface" in a class
name?  Thanks!

-eric

Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm writing a bunch of classes that have "Interface" in the name and
> find that the length of the subsequent names is starting to get in the
> way of readability (I don't really care about saving keystrokes).  Is
> "IX" conventional enough to use in place of "Interface" in a class
> name?  Thanks!

Convention in which community?

If you just mean in general programming community, I don't think “IX”
would suggest interface at all.

The only common convention I've seen is the “I” prefix: “IFoo” to
suggest “the Foo interface”. But that's hopelessly ambiguous, and I
don't recommend it.

--
 \        “Sane people have an appropriate perspective on the relative |
  `\     importance of foodstuffs and human beings. Crazy people can't |
Eric Snow wrote:

> I'm writing a bunch of classes that have "Interface" in the name and
> find that the length of the subsequent names is starting to get in the
> way of readability (I don't really care about saving keystrokes).  Is
> "IX" conventional enough to use in place of "Interface" in a class
> name?  Thanks!

I've never seen or heard of "IX" as an abbreviation for Interface. Apart
from the fact that they both start with I, what is the connection? Is the
fact that "IX" is pronounced Icks meant as commentary about Interfaces
perhaps?

--
Steven

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 22:21:02 -0600, Eric Snow wrote:

> I'm writing a bunch of classes that have "Interface" in the name and
> find that the length of the subsequent names is starting to get in the
> way of readability (I don't really care about saving keystrokes).  Is
> "IX" conventional enough to use in place of "Interface" in a class
> name?  Thanks!

I've only ever seen "ix" used as an abbreviation for "index".

The common abbrevations for "interface" are "if" (e.g. the Linux
networking headers), "iface", or the "I" prefix in Windows' COM.

0
nobody (5159)