ActivePython 3.1.1.2 vs Python 3.1.1 for OSX?

I am just curious which I should use. I am going to start learning
Python soon. Are they comparable and I just do a "eenie meenie minie
moe"?

Bob
0
sigzero (1319)

On 1 Oct, 00:51, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am just curious which I should use. I am going to start learning
> Python soon. Are they comparable and I just do a "eenie meenie minie
> moe"?
>
> Bob

First off, a great choice of language to begin trying! Is it your
first language (I'm guessing not), or do you come from another
'background'.

Basically, Active is a possible 'superset' of the main distro. of
Python. So, for Windows, for instance, it will offer com objects
etc...

I normally stick with the Python core, then use additional libraries
where appropriate.

Just my 2p,

Jon.

0
joncle (228)
10/1/2009 1:07:15 AM
On Sep 30, 9:07=A0pm, Jon Clements <jon...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 1 Oct, 00:51, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am just curious which I should use. I am going to start learning
> > Python soon. Are they comparable and I just do a "eenie meenie minie
> > moe"?
>
> > Bob
>
> First off, a great choice of language to begin trying! Is it your
> first language (I'm guessing not), or do you come from another
> 'background'.
>
> Basically, Active is a possible 'superset' of the main distro. of
> Python. So, for Windows, for instance, it will offer com objects
> etc...
>
> I normally stick with the Python core, then use additional libraries
> where appropriate.
>
> Just my 2p,
>
> Jon.

Yes, I currently do my SA stuff in Perl. We added a product that uses
Python (and as a side my son wants to learn Blender) so I thought I
might look into it is as well.

Thank you for the reply.

Bob
0
sigzero (1319)
10/1/2009 1:17:19 AM
On Sep 30, 4:51=A0pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am just curious which I should use. I am going to start learning
> Python soon. Are they comparable and I just do a "eenie meenie minie
> moe"?

ActivePython is essentially same as the installers from python.org -
but it also comes with additional documentation and tutorials, such
as:

Python FAQs
A snapshot of the Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) (For the most
recent version, refer to the PEPs on python.org .)
Dive Into Python (A tutorial for programmers)
Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python

http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/3.1/whatsincluded.html

Also note that 2.6.x is probably the best bet if you are going to use
some 3rd party libraries (after you learn the basics of Python) ..
because 3.x does not have many of those libraries ported yet.

  http://www.activestate.com/activepython/

Further, early next week - a new release of ActivePython-2.6 will be
made available that will include, for the first time, a new Python
package manager (PyPM) from ActiveState that makes it easier to
install packages from pypi.python.org (without having to compile them
yourself). This is similar to PPM from ActivePerl.

-srid
On Sep 30, 9:28=A0pm, srid <sridhar.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 4:51=A0pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am just curious which I should use. I am going to start learning
> > Python soon. Are they comparable and I just do a "eenie meenie minie
> > moe"?
>
> ActivePython is essentially same as the installers from python.org -
> but it also comes with additional documentation and tutorials, such
> as:
>
> Python FAQs
> A snapshot of the Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) (For the most
> recent version, refer to the PEPs on python.org .)
> Dive Into Python (A tutorial for programmers)
> Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python
>
> http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/3.1/whatsincluded.html
>
> Also note that 2.6.x is probably the best bet if you are going to use
> some 3rd party libraries (after you learn the basics of Python) ..
> because 3.x does not have many of those libraries ported yet.
>
> =A0http://www.activestate.com/activepython/
>
> Further, early next week - a new release of ActivePython-2.6 will be
> made available that will include, for the first time, a new Python
> package manager (PyPM) from ActiveState that makes it easier to
> install packages from pypi.python.org (without having to compile them
> yourself). This is similar to PPM from ActivePerl.
>
> -srid

Thanks!

Bob
0
sigzero (1319)
10/1/2009 1:46:21 AM
On Oct 1, 11:28=A0am, srid <sridhar.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 4:51=A0pm, Robert Hicks <sigz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am just curious which I should use. I am going to start learning
> > Python soon. Are they comparable and I just do a "eenie meenie minie
> > moe"?
>
> ActivePython is essentially same as the installers from python.org -
> but it also comes with additional documentation and tutorials, such
> as:
>
> Python FAQs
> A snapshot of the Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) (For the most
> recent version, refer to the PEPs on python.org .)
> Dive Into Python (A tutorial for programmers)
> Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python
>
> http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/3.1/whatsincluded.html
>
> Also note that 2.6.x is probably the best bet if you are going to use
> some 3rd party libraries (after you learn the basics of Python) ..
> because 3.x does not have many of those libraries ported yet.
>
> =A0http://www.activestate.com/activepython/
>
> Further, early next week - a new release of ActivePython-2.6 will be
> made available that will include, for the first time, a new Python
> package manager (PyPM) from ActiveState that makes it easier to
> install packages from pypi.python.org(without having to compile them
> yourself). This is similar to PPM from ActivePerl.
>
> -srid

Thats awesome news.
PyPM is now released!

  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/e9ef=