Any news on www.python.org being offline?

Website has been offline for more than an hour 11:18 PT.

zman wrote:

> Website has been offline for more than an hour 11:18 PT.

Actually, the site is not offline, but the front page is missing.
All other pages that I've tried are still functional.

Connecting manually to port 80 on fang.python.org shows:

GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:43:37 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Last-Modified: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:32:05 GMT
ETag: "5a751d-0-3f12e915"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Have we been hacked, or is this human error during maintenance?

-Peter
0
peter34 (3696)
7/14/2003 6:44:40 PM
In article <3F12FA18.B04B400E@engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter@engcorp.com> wrote:

>Have we been hacked, or is this human error during maintenance?

Yes to both.  :-(  We were actually hacked a while ago, then failed to
do a complete cleanup.  When we got the disk full problem, I attempted
to update the main page so people would know what was going on; I
thought that vi was capable of managing the re-write inplace.  I was
wrong.  We're back on the air, with special thanks to Thomas Wouters for
interrupting his post-OSCON snooze.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Not everything in life has a clue in front of it...."  --JMS
0
aahz (2032)
7/14/2003 8:22:11 PM
Aahz wrote:

> In article <3F12FA18.B04B400E@engcorp.com>,
> Peter Hansen  <peter@engcorp.com> wrote:
> >
> >Have we been hacked, or is this human error during maintenance?
>
> Yes to both.  :-(  We were actually hacked a while ago, then failed to
> do a complete cleanup.  When we got the disk full problem, I attempted
> to update the main page so people would know what was going on; I
> thought that vi was capable of managing the re-write inplace.  I was
> wrong.  We're back on the air, with special thanks to Thomas Wouters for
> interrupting his post-OSCON snooze.

Thanks then to Aahz, Skip, Thomas, and anyone else involved.  I think we
should find a place to give more visible credit to the many people
involved in handling with such things.  I had no idea so many people
who regularly contribute here were also the ones who step in to resolve
such problems, or who manage the day-to-day updates and additions.
And obviously this is a very distributed effort, unless you all happen
to be roommates. ;-)

To add to the workload then :-), but also perhaps to help inspire
additional people to volunteer and share the load, I suggest adding a
reasonably prominent page to www.python.org with a quick summary of who
helps run the site, or other community efforts, and perhaps something
like a one-sentence bio to give a bit more of a face to some of the
lesser known folks.

Or did I just overlook an existing such page?

-Peter
0
peter34 (3696)
7/14/2003 9:23:53 PM
On Monday 14 July 2003 13:22, Aahz wrote:
> In article <3F12FA18.B04B400E@engcorp.com>,
>
> Peter Hansen  <peter@engcorp.com> wrote:
> >Have we been hacked, or is this human error during maintenance?
>
> Yes to both.  :-(  We were actually hacked a while ago, then failed to
> do a complete cleanup.  When we got the disk full problem, I attempted
> to update the main page so people would know what was going on; I
> thought that vi was capable of managing the re-write inplace.  I was
> wrong.  We're back on the air, with special thanks to Thomas Wouters for
> interrupting his post-OSCON snooze.

both vim and nvi have options you can pass them so that they do not make
copies of the file.  nvi is -F and I forget what the vim option is.

In article <3F131F69.8FD9B8DD@engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter@engcorp.com> wrote:

>Thanks then to Aahz, Skip, Thomas, and anyone else involved.  I think we
>should find a place to give more visible credit to the many people
>involved in handling with such things.  I had no idea so many people
>who regularly contribute here were also the ones who step in to resolve
>such problems, or who manage the day-to-day updates and additions.
>And obviously this is a very distributed effort, unless you all happen
>to be roommates. ;-)

Nope, we're even on separate continents.

>To add to the workload then :-), but also perhaps to help inspire
>additional people to volunteer and share the load, I suggest adding a
>reasonably prominent page to www.python.org with a quick summary of who
>helps run the site, or other community efforts, and perhaps something
>like a one-sentence bio to give a bit more of a face to some of the
>lesser known folks.

Enh.  Maybe, but I'm too tired/busy to think about it.  What I suggest
is that anyone who has an interest in how the web site is set up join
the site design list at
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/pydotorg-redesign

(This is a discussion list, not a list for the people doing the
maintenance work.)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz
0
aahz (2032)
7/20/2003 12:18:07 AM
I would be very interested in this. I have a 24 hr internet connection
at my home on cable modem, and I am interested in learning more about
web site designs.

I could use a tip or two in improving my own home page apart from
helping
the community :-)

The problem is that I am in India. If that is no problem, I would like
to volunteer for this task.

Do let me know what I can do.

Thanks

~Anand
http://members.lycos.co.uk/anandpillai

aahz@pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote in message news:<bfcn3v$glv$1@panix1.panix.com>...
> In article <3F131F69.8FD9B8DD@engcorp.com>,
> Peter Hansen  <peter@engcorp.com> wrote:
> >
> >Thanks then to Aahz, Skip, Thomas, and anyone else involved.  I think we
> >should find a place to give more visible credit to the many people
> >involved in handling with such things.  I had no idea so many people
> >who regularly contribute here were also the ones who step in to resolve
> >such problems, or who manage the day-to-day updates and additions.
> >And obviously this is a very distributed effort, unless you all happen
> >to be roommates. ;-)
>
> Nope, we're even on separate continents.
>
> >To add to the workload then :-), but also perhaps to help inspire
> >additional people to volunteer and share the load, I suggest adding a
> >reasonably prominent page to www.python.org with a quick summary of who
> >helps run the site, or other community efforts, and perhaps something
> >like a one-sentence bio to give a bit more of a face to some of the
> >lesser known folks.
>
> Enh.  Maybe, but I'm too tired/busy to think about it.  What I suggest
> is that anyone who has an interest in how the web site is set up join
> the site design list at
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/pydotorg-redesign
>
> (This is a discussion list, not a list for the people doing the
> maintenance work.)
0
pythonguy (97)