Compiling fails on Mac OS X 10.5

Hi!
I'm trying to compile on my Macbook with OS X 10.5. I have all updates
and Xcode 3.0 installed.

I checked python out with: svn checkout http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k
After that I did "./configure" in the  created "py3k" dir. Everything
went fine. But make fails with the following error message:
ranlib libpython3.0.a
gcc  -u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
			Modules/python.o \
			libpython3.0.a -ldl
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

I tried checking out many times. I also tried de 3.0a2 release,gives
me the same error. I've heard others have compiled it successfully on
Leopard so I wonder what causes the problems on my system.

On Jan 12, 9:41=A0am, mc <m.ottene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to compile on my Macbook with OS X 10.5. I have all updates
> and Xcode 3.0 installed.
>
> I checked python out with: svn checkouthttp://svn.python.org/projects/pyth=
on/branches/py3k
> After that I did "./configure" in the =A0created "py3k" dir. Everything
> went fine. But make fails with the following error message:
> ranlib libpython3.0.a
> gcc =A0-u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Modules/python.o \
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 libpython3.0.a -ldl
> make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1
>
> I tried checking out many times. I also tried de 3.0a2 release,gives
> me the same error. I've heard others have compiled it successfully on
> Leopard so I wonder what causes the problems on my system.

Could you post the rest of the ./configure and compilation output?
make might be rereporting an error that occurred further up.

I don't see anything related on the Python bug tracker.  It might be
worth posting a bug report at bugs.python.org

Mark
0
dickinsm (350)
1/12/2008 4:34:02 PM
On Jan 12, 5:34 pm, Mark Dickinson <dicki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 9:41 am, mc <m.ottene...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi!
> > I'm trying to compile on my Macbook with OS X 10.5. I have all updates
> > and Xcode 3.0 installed.
>
> > I checked python out with: svn checkouthttp://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k
> > After that I did "./configure" in the  created "py3k" dir. Everything
> > went fine. But make fails with the following error message:
> > ranlib libpython3.0.a
> > gcc  -u _PyMac_Error -o python.exe \
> >                         Modules/python.o \
> >                         libpython3.0.a -ldl
> > make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1
>
> > I tried checking out many times. I also tried de 3.0a2 release,gives
> > me the same error. I've heard others have compiled it successfully on
> > Leopard so I wonder what causes the problems on my system.
>
> Could you post the rest of the ./configure and compilation output?
> make might be rereporting an error that occurred further up.
>
> I don't see anything related on the Python bug tracker.  It might be
> worth posting a bug report at bugs.python.org
>
> Mark

Alright!
../configure output is here: http://rafb.net/p/NqSmqc25.html
and make output here: http://rafb.net/p/kzeb2e29.html
On Jan 12, 12:05=A0pm, mc <m.ottene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright!
> ./configure output is here:http://rafb.net/p/NqSmqc25.html
> and make output here:http://rafb.net/p/kzeb2e29.html

Hmm. Doesn't seem to be anything unusual here.  I was expecting to see
some more informative error message somewhere.  Does this output
definitely include everything sent to stderr and to stdout, or did it
come from just redirecting stdout?

I don't understand where all the

rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory

lines in the configure output are coming from.  Can this possibly be
related?

Anyone else here have any ideas how to proceed?

Mark
0
dickinsm (350)