graphical or flow charting design aid for python class development?

Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over complicate
things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a
simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to organize their
class and program  design?  Because of a 55 mph head-on accident a few
years back, I have short term memory problems, so flipping back and
forth between pages of code is next to impossible for me to keep
straight.  A simple graphical model  would allow me to 'see' everything
in one view, and better organize my resulting code. I have had limited
success using pydoc to view my classes, but it's not really much help in
development, just review, and sometimes there is too much info.

I have used editors for other languages that allow the view to expand
and collapse functions/methods (like message threads here on the board),
which help, but I haven't seen anything like this for python.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

You may want to use Doxygen, which generates nice diagrams. It's
normally only for C++, but there are nice filters (for ex.
http://i31www.ira.uka.de/~baas/pydoxy) that generates C++ header from
python code that Doxygen can crunch.

Another solution is to use IDE such as Eric3 that can generate UML
diags from source code on the fly.

0
googlenews (22)
8/31/2005 7:26:56 PM
Have you looked at class browser module?  Not the graphical tool you're
looking for, but maybe a good start

http://www.python.org/doc/2.0.1/lib/module-pyclbr.html

William Gill wrote:
> Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over complicate
> things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a
> simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to organize their
> class and program  design?  Because of a 55 mph head-on accident a few
> years back, I have short term memory problems, so flipping back and
> forth between pages of code is next to impossible for me to keep
> straight.  A simple graphical model  would allow me to 'see' everything
> in one view, and better organize my resulting code. I have had limited
> success using pydoc to view my classes, but it's not really much help in
> development, just review, and sometimes there is too much info.
>
> I have used editors for other languages that allow the view to expand
> and collapse functions/methods (like message threads here on the board),
> which help, but I haven't seen anything like this for python.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Bill

0
gene.tani (520)
8/31/2005 7:45:10 PM

gene tani wrote:
> Have you looked at class browser module?  Not the graphical tool you're
> looking for, but maybe a good start

No, it's not graphical, but it looks like I may be able to use it to put
together a nice outline, or summary of my modules.  It's worth
exploring, thanks.

Bill

> http://www.python.org/doc/2.0.1/lib/module-pyclbr.html
>
> William Gill wrote:
>
>>Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over complicate
>>things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a
>>simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to organize their
>>class and program  design?  Because of a 55 mph head-on accident a few
>>years back, I have short term memory problems, so flipping back and
>>forth between pages of code is next to impossible for me to keep
>>straight.  A simple graphical model  would allow me to 'see' everything
>>in one view, and better organize my resulting code. I have had limited
>>success using pydoc to view my classes, but it's not really much help in
>>development, just review, and sometimes there is too much info.
>>
>>I have used editors for other languages that allow the view to expand
>>and collapse functions/methods (like message threads here on the board),
>>which help, but I haven't seen anything like this for python.
>>
>>Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>>Bill

On first glance Doxygen doesn't look like the ticket, but the screen
shots of Eric3 look VERY promising.  I have already downloaded it, and
will try it.

Thanks,
Bill

tooper wrote:
> You may want to use Doxygen, which generates nice diagrams. It's
> normally only for C++, but there are nice filters (for ex.
> http://i31www.ira.uka.de/~baas/pydoxy) that generates C++ header from
> python code that Doxygen can crunch.
>
> Another solution is to use IDE such as Eric3 that can generate UML
> diags from source code on the fly.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:40:52 GMT
William Gill <noreply@gcgroup.net> wrote:
> Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over
> complicate things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can
> suggest a simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to
> organize their class and program  design?

I've had good success using the UML templates provided by Dia. There
can be some interesting issues printing, but on a whole, they work quit
well for drawing class diagrams.

-Michael
0
mekstran (40)
9/1/2005 4:06:27 AM
forgot mention Komodo's code and object browser, which're both in the
$30 license

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/Komodo/3.1/komodo-doc-codeintel.html#codeintel_codebrowser

and SPE's supposed to have some kinda class explorer
http://www.stani.be/python/spe

0
gene.tani (520)
9/1/2005 4:46:53 AM
It's not free, but it is pretty cheap considering all it can do.  Check
out Enterprise Architect (with the free add-in for Python) from
www.sparxsystems.com.au.  Pro version license is US$180 or so, but they
may have a student license for less that you could use.

-- Paul

0
ptmcg (802)
9/1/2005 6:56:49 AM
Thanks everyone.  I will explore all the suggestions, but it looks like
SPE is the immediate answer.

Bill

William Gill wrote:
> Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over complicate
> things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a
> simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to organize their
> class and program  design?  Because of a 55 mph head-on accident a few
> years back, I have short term memory problems, so flipping back and
> forth between pages of code is next to impossible for me to keep
> straight.  A simple graphical model  would allow me to 'see' everything
> in one view, and better organize my resulting code. I have had limited
> success using pydoc to view my classes, but it's not really much help in
> development, just review, and sometimes there is too much info.
>
> I have used editors for other languages that allow the view to expand
> and collapse functions/methods (like message threads here on the board),
> which help, but I haven't seen anything like this for python.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Bill
There's also this about giving source/class browsers a hand by
sprinkling "isinstance()"'s in

http://wingware.com/doc/intro/tutorial-sassist-with-classes

I always encourage people to write up their experience/improessions in
the python wiki:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
(or the separate IDE page)

William Gill wrote:
> Thanks everyone.  I will explore all the suggestions, but it looks like
> SPE is the immediate answer.
>
> Bill

0
gene.tani (520)
9/1/2005 3:44:15 PM
William Gill <noreply@gcgroup.net> wrote:
> Being somewhat new to Python, and having a tendency to over complicate
> things in my class design, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a
> simple graphical or flowcharting tool that they use to organize their
> class and program  design?  Because of a 55 mph head-on accident a few

For Linux/Unix there is dia <http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia> to make
a class diagram and dia2code <http://dia2code.sourceforge.net> to create
Python code from it.

Probably you can find some other UML tools that support Python.

> I have used editors for other languages that allow the view to expand
> and collapse functions/methods (like message threads here on the board),
> which help, but I haven't seen anything like this for python.

For questions like "Is there an editor that supports...", "Emacs" is
about always an answer ;-) It has outline-mode for this.

   Florian
--
begin  signature_virus
 Hi! I'm a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.