gui scripting

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

HI,

I have a 2 phase question:

Phase 1 is I am needing to automate a report generation from a
proprietary product.  Currently a person sits and input's the data into
a GUI frontend and clicks's the appropriate buttons to start the report
generation.  What I am wanting todo is automate this, but since the GUI
is from a proprietary product all I have is the GUI.

This is done on a Linux Xfree server.  Can anyone please point me in a
direction to a pythonic gui scripting module ?
Python is the best tool and we use it elsewhere - so it is the best
option.

Second phase will have this done on a Windows platform... but that is
second priority ...

Thanks

0
Reply tonino.greco (39) 2/14/2005 11:51:21 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article <1108381881.828494.98340@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Tonino <tonino.greco@gmail.com> wrote:
>HI,
>
>I have a 2 phase question:
>
>Phase 1 is I am needing to automate a report generation from a
>proprietary product.  Currently a person sits and input's the data into
>a GUI frontend and clicks's the appropriate buttons to start the report
>generation.  What I am wanting todo is automate this, but since the GUI
>is from a proprietary product all I have is the GUI.
>
>This is done on a Linux Xfree server.  Can anyone please point me in a
>direction to a pythonic gui scripting module ?
>Python is the best tool and we use it elsewhere - so it is the best
>option.
>
>Second phase will have this done on a Windows platform... but that is
>second priority ...
			.
			.
			.
While I understand and applaud your affection for Python,
the solution that I think will best suit you is based on
Tcl.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/android > has details.

For the Windows side, see <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/8813 >.
0
Reply claird (2363) 2/14/2005 6:08:03 PM

thanks - this helps ;))

will play with android ...

0
Reply tonino.greco (39) 2/15/2005 5:54:07 AM

hmm - there is a problem - Android uses Xtest extensions - this is BAD
;)

I Need to be able to get values from the form that is returned ... and
the Xtest stuff does not allow you to access the values of a returned
form in the GUI ...

example :

if the GUI has a form that is returned and in this form it has columns
on the left expressing names for values on the right - you cannot get
the text for the columns on the left or the associated values ...

Thanks

0
Reply tonino.greco (39) 2/15/2005 7:02:15 AM

> >Second phase will have this done on a Windows platform... but that is
> >second priority ...
<http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/winGuiAuto.py.html>

<http://www.tizmoi.net/watsup/intro.html>

--Phil.
0
Reply follower (24) 2/15/2005 7:09:03 AM

hi,

thanks - am already involved in a process to modify winguiauto.py  -
this is a GREAT start but we need more control and better handleing ;)

Thanks for the WATSUP site - will check on this as well ;)

Thanks

Reply tonino.greco (39) 2/17/2005 12:48:19 PM

On 17 Feb 2005 04:48:19 -0800, Tonino <tonino.greco@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks - am already involved in a process to modify winguiauto.py  -
> this is a GREAT start but we need more control and better handleing ;)

Can you be more specific?

> Thanks for the WATSUP site - will check on this as well ;)

WATSUP uses winguiauto.py.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Safari scripts
http://www.apple.com/applescript/safari/ has a collection of scripts for Safari, many of which require the installation of a beta of GUI scripting. (other places linked to this page have other iApps mentioning User Interface scripting, but call it UI scripting, not so graphic) The links to the GUI Scripting Beta software is a few pages of educational content, but no downloadable beta. Unless the actual beta is merely activated by enabling access to assistive devices in Universal Access. Is that it? Flipping a switch in Universal Access? Or is there a beta that only Developers have acces...

Script Java GUI in Luban scripting language
http://www.lubankit.org Luban Programming Language Beta 2 is released with one major feature addition: the Luban Java Bridge has been built to enable Luban to access arbitrary Java classes, functions and fields. Below listed are the features of the new Luban Java Bridge. 1. Construct Java object of any Java class type. 2. Call any Java object instance member function in a Luban native way 3. Call any Java static class function 4. Read/write any Java object field 5. Read/write any Java static class field. 6. Dynamic checking of Java object type with "instanceof" member function 7. ...

GUIDE-Passing variables from gui script to matlab script for calculation
How to pass variables from gui script to matlab script i have a matlab script which ll take data from gui script matlab script has loops and constants which are part of those loops are provided by gui script. Let me know if anyone has solution for this...if possible send me a .m file which can do such kind of operation Thank you ! ...

GUI script
Hi, ara there any good tutorial or well commented examples available that show how to create a user interface for a SCILAB calculation script? I tried a bit "UIcontrol" but could not get it work with the callback property. Thanks a lot. Bye, Jens. ...

save gui screenshot as xml file(gui was generated by perltk script)
save gui screenshot as xml file(gui was generated by perltk script) ...

MCR .exe Script w/ GUI: Saving user input (text) and using in Script
Hello All, I am currently building up a data analysis tool which is compiled to a .exe file and is to be used by people without a Matlab license. The script begins with a GUI I have built which requests the data file-name of interest from the user in a edit-text box. A "start" button is then pressed, which stores the string in the edit-text box as follows (summarized version): % --- Executes on button press in GUI. function pushbutton1_Callback(hObject, eventdata, handles) x = get(handles.edit1,'String'); % Get string from user edit-text box if isempty(x); ...

GUI to python scripts
Hi All, I need one help ,i started learning python few months back and i am comfortable with python now ,My intrest is, i want to genrate python scripts from GUI i.e. My GUI should be having macros or function of my intrest ,so if i select them it should generate corressponding python script for that.Can any one tell from where i will get such API or GUI application which will generate python scripts. Regards Ashish. ...

GUI for shell scripting
Hi all, For a long time I wanted to have access to GUI widgets while using shell scripts. I wanted to have something for Linux, similar to "dtksh" on CDE. So my goal was to think of a way which enabled GUI access for multiple script languages. It had to be flexible, extendable, it had to give access to GTK 1.x and 2.x, and it had to be a feasable project. Finally I did not want to investigate other people's sourcecode to implement extra GUI commands. The concept of a GTK server was born. The basic idea behind this concept is a binary, which can be started from within a script. ...

GUI vs. script
Hi, I have written a Matlab-function that is intended to be run either using the Matlab-prompt or using it as a callback for another function, in this case it displays a GUI. Because the GUI of the function cannot be used in "script-mode" (the function is supposed to run automatically and perform several calculations on measurement data) the GUI has to be disabled in "script-mode". What can I do to find out in the function whether it was run via Matlab-prompt or as a callback etc., so that I can tell the function to use default values for variables that I would enter usi...

Calling a script from a GUI
Hi All: I've made a GUI that needs a set of variables provided by a separate script. Since the script name may change, I have set a character array to identify the script within the GUI. However, getting the script to run doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks Dave Dave Marquis wrote: > Hi All: > > I've made a GUI that needs a set of variables provided by a separate > script. Since the script name may change, I have set a character > array to identify the script within the GUI. However, getting the > script to run doesn't work. > > Any suggestions?...

GUIs as script files
I have another GUI question. I have only used GUIDE to generate my GUIs. My question is about the efficiency and/or possibility of creating a GUI in a script file as opposed to using a function file. thanks in advance PL it is possible, but i dont know how fast it will be also in matlab r13 to do this you would need set callbacks to contain all of the code for the callbacks (since you wont be able to call a specific function in the m-file, since it is a script file) in matlab r14 you would need to either do the above, or use anonymous or inline funcions the speed might increase, just becau...

execute scripts on GUI
Hi, I want to start a script via an Icon on the Desktop, and I wonder how I can execute my GUI-scirpts (Tk on KDE) without the "Pyhton Shell" window popping up... Thankx! Tom Hello, Thomas! You wrote on Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:45:50 +0200: TW> I want to start a script via an Icon on the Desktop, TW> and I wonder how I can execute my GUI-scirpts (Tk on KDE) TW> without the "Pyhton Shell" window popping up... In the Windows you have to rename script extension: .py -> .pyw. With best regards, Egor Bolonev. E-mail: ebolonev@rol.ru [ru eo en] ...

GUI v Script
Not strictly an OO question, but I could not find a more appropriate NG for this issue, as I know serious professionals use it. I maintain an old system which has a locally developed script interface. It is, in fact, a superset of Fortran, and quite an elegant one at that. I have been unable to persuade my colleagues of the virtues of providing a script interface as compared with a new GUI interface. My own view is that: 1 GUIs cannot ever match the flexibility of scripts. If the designer of a GUI has anticipated a need, then the app will do it well and efficiently, if not, then the app can...

Executing Script from GUI
I would like to execute a script from a callback function of my gui. Is there any possibility to send the command (filename of the script) to the command line from the callback function? Thanks a lot Joerg Hackinger schreef: > I would like to execute a script from a callback function of > my gui. > Is there any possibility to send the command (filename of > the script) to the command line from the callback function? > > Thanks a lot TIP: help eval help feval help evalin Kris De Gussem <Kris.DeGussem@ugent.be> wrote in message <g2l35v$sfi$1@gaudi2.UGe...

Controlling a GUI from a script?
Hi everyone - I have what seems to be a simple problem - I'd like to control a GUI from an interactive script. I know it can't be too hard, but I haven't looked in the right place yet. Any ideas? Bob On 20 Jul, 16:14, "Bob " <bob.klep...@dynetics.com> wrote: > Hi everyone - > > I have what seems to be a simple problem - I'd like to > control a GUI from an interactive script. =A0I know it can't > be too hard, but I haven't looked in the right place yet. What GUI are you talking about? One you made yourself? One that's been suppli...

running script from GUI
I am a very new user of GUIs (I've started today!). But I have some problems. I have a script, not a function, which retrieve some meteorological data from internet and store it into a variable called datawb1. I have managed to display this data into a GUI. But my problem, now, is that I want to create a 'Refresh Button', which will re-run the script again, in order to refresh the display in the GUI. Cheers Renaud no idea about that point? :( R.Dussurget wrote: > > > I am a very new user of GUIs (I've started today!). > > But I have some problems. > I hav...

Matlab GUI Scripting
This is a very simple question that I just can't find the answer to.. I have a Matlab gui/app that I only have the binaries for, yet I need to automate some tasks. Can you script gui control in Matlab? If so, what are the main calls? Otherwise, can you control the gui using a windows script? Thanks. ...

Write a GUI for a python script?
I am a newbie with Python. It's a great language, but I would like to be able to present a simple gui menu for some of my scripts; something better than using 'raw_input' prompts. Any recommendations for a program that will allow me to create the gui screens? Something useable in Linux. thanks. Tkinter is the GUI toolkit that comes with Python and is available on all platform without any installation effort. It is quite OK for simple things and I would recommend it for any beginner. Google for "An Introduction to Tkinter" by F. Lund. Michele Simionato wxPython...

close GUI and quit script?
how do i close a GUI and end the mainloop of the script? globalrev wrote: > how do i close a GUI and end the mainloop of the script? >From a GUI callback, instruct the main loop to quit. Michael Torrie wrote: > globalrev wrote: >> how do i close a GUI and end the mainloop of the script? > >From a GUI callback, instruct the main loop to quit. In case you can't tell from my reply, I'm basically saying that none of us have any idea unless you actually tell us what GUI system you are using. All the GUI's I have worked with talk about this in their basic API ...

Closing gui-figure from script
Hi, I have a large script that starts off with opening a gui where the user may set som parameters and then press "start" to continue the application. I want the gui-figure to close itself at the push of the start-button (alternatively I can close the figure from my main script). I've tried using delete(handles.fig) as a command in the outputfunction of the gui, and I've tried to close the figure from the main script using close(), but nothing seems to work. The gui does everything else correctly, and control is returned to the main script, but the figure won't close... ...

GUI script/function issue
Hello everyone, I am having some problems with the creation of a GUI. I am relatively new to GUI so I am having a problem that I cannot figure out. Here it is. I created a GUI in which you input some parameters and when you press next it stores them and moves to the next window. It all worked fine when I had it in my script, but now I am trying to make my code modular and I want to have the GUI as a separate function. However, when I move it to a function, I get an error because my handle numbers for some reason are not passed to the callback function when the user presses next. I am not sur...

Is there a scripting tool to build GUIs?
Sorry for the cross post but java.gui is an extremely quiet group. Hi, I looking at writing an app and I have had an idea about the gui, but I want to check if it's been done before. None of my googling has come up with anything. My app has the gui running in a seperate thread, which talks to the main part of the app using RMI. I was thinking of writing the UI so that the graphical part of it would be constructed using a script, so that users could then change the functionality of it in the future. The script would basically expose the RMI interface so that windows, buttons and user e...

running gui py script
I'm learning py in this environment - PyCrust 0.9.5 - The Flakiest Python Shell Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Dec 26 2010, 22:31:48) [GCC 4.4.5] on linux2 When I type a tkinter program in pycrust (or pyshell), it executes as expected, but when I call it from a command line, it doesn't. What I'm getting back is this - python my_first_gui_in_py.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "my_first_gui_in_py.py", line 2, in <module> class myapp_tk(Tkinter.Tk): File "my_first_gui_in_py.py", line 14, in myapp_tk app = myapp_tk(None) Name...