IDLE won't run after installing Python 3.3 in Windows

The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP mach=
ine. I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully rem=
oved all traces of from the directory and the registry.

I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a comma=
nd window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several Py=
thon programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option of =
'Edit in IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then nothi=
ng. So I went into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD windo=
w, ran 'python idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a fil=
e, it navigates to a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I actu=
ally open the file. I then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instead.=
 Same deal.

I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by fi=
rewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Howard
0
eglowstein

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:26:51 PM UTC+3:30, eglows...@gmail.com wrot=
e:
> The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP ma=
chine. I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully r=
emoved all traces of from the directory and the registry.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a com=
mand window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several =
Python programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option o=
f 'Edit in IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then not=
hing. So I went into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD win=
dow, ran 'python idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a f=
ile, it navigates to a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I ac=
tually open the file. I then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instea=
d. Same deal.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by =
firewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Howard

0
behrooz
2/18/2014 3:47:57 PM

> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

   Switch to Gnu/Linux.    <sorry, couldn't resist>

Which version of tcl/tk is installed.  I would guess that tkinter is honked up somehow... did you clear up the old tkinter stuff?

0
Mark
2/19/2014 4:56:53 PM
On 19/02/2014 16:56, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
>>
>     Switch to Gnu/Linux.    <sorry, couldn't resist>
>
> Which version of tcl/tk is installed.  I would guess that tkinter is honked up somehow... did you clear up the old tkinter stuff?

The version of tcl/tk is completely irrelevant as it comes bundled in
the Python msi installer.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---

Mark
2/19/2014 5:10:24 PM

> The version of tcl/tk is completely irrelevant as it comes bundled in
>
> the Python msi installer.

Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the new version from running correctly?

0
Mark
2/19/2014 5:30:11 PM
On 19/02/2014 17:30, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>> The version of tcl/tk is completely irrelevant as it comes bundled in
>>
>> the Python msi installer.
>>

> Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the new version from running correctly?

Not that I'm aware of.  But then again if people knew the answer it
would have been posted by now.  Where is Terry Reedy when you need him?
Or possibly rr for that matter? :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---

Mark
2/19/2014 5:50:37 PM
On 2/19/2014 12:50 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 19/02/2014 17:30, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>> Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the
>> new version from running correctly?

> Not that I'm aware of.  But then again if people knew the answer it
> would have been posted by now.  Where is Terry Reedy when you need him?

Puzzled as to what the problem is.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

0
Terry
2/19/2014 7:00:52 PM
On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:00:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 2/19/2014 12:50 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>=20
> > On 19/02/2014 17:30, Mark H. Harris wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >> Does the previous version put stuff into the registry that keeps the
>=20
> >> new version from running correctly?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > Not that I'm aware of.  But then again if people knew the answer it
>=20
> > would have been posted by now.  Where is Terry Reedy when you need him?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Puzzled as to what the problem is.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Terry Jan Reedy

I was extremely careful to remove any last bit of evidence in the registry =
that *anything* in the c:\python27 and c:\python33 directories ever existed=
.. After the registry was purged of everything and I deleted the directories=
, I restarted the machine to make sure the registry was read afresh (Window=
s XP is wacky that way) and then did a reinstall of Python 3.3.3. Before in=
stalling anything else, I launched a program by using the 'Edit in Idle' op=
tion. Idle comes up, flashes briefly and exits. The console window never ap=
pears. If I bring up a command window and go into the lib\idlelib directory=
 and specifically start idle with "python idle.py" or "pythons idle.py", I =
get Idle, but no command window. Load a file in if launched with 'python', =
it appears but you can't run it. If you launch with 'pythons', the whole ki=
t & caboodle just exits when you load the file.

That might not help, but that's all I saw. Is there someplace not obvious i=
n the registry where any interesting information is kept?
0
eglowstein
2/19/2014 11:24:14 PM
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:56 AM,  <eglowstein.h@gmail.com> wrote:
> The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP ma=
chine. I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully r=
emoved all traces of from the directory and the registry.

It is not necessary to uninstall previous  versions of Python. They
can live happily together. Not only does it work, it's a supported
configuration. That's what the launcher is for.
Mucking with the registry is generally inadvisable. It's too easy to
make a mistake.
If you do decide to uninstall a Python version, do it through the
Control Panel. If that results in problems, submit a bug report.

> I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a com=
mand window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several =
Python programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option o=
f 'Edit in IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then not=
hing. So I went into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD win=
dow, ran 'python idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a f=
ile, it navigates to a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I ac=
tually open the file. I then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instea=
d. Same deal.

> I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by =
firewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.

> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
 I would reinstall Python2.7 and then reinstall Python3.3. That may
straighten out your registry. (It may not)
Let us know if that works.
0
David
2/20/2014 2:11:08 AM
Well firstly being windows I assume that you did a restart after install.

Python.org python doesn't come with the windows extensions which can be installed separately.

On windows I use winpython is totally portable and can be installed as system version includes all extensions as well as Numpy and matplotlib etc which can be a bit tricky to install otherwise.

There is enthought and anaconda packaged python a well but my choice is winpython

Give it a try and you'll definitely have a working system version.

Sayth
0
flebber
2/21/2014 7:43:58 AM
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:56:51 AM UTC-6, eglows...@gmail.com wrote:

> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Is there any possibility that you are bumping up against open IDLE Issue 14576?

http://bugs.python.org/issue14576

0
Mark

Why Python 4.0 won't be like Python 3.0
A blog from Nick Coghlan http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html that should help put a few minds to rest. -- My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language. Mark Lawrence On 2014-08-17, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > A blog from Nick Coghlan > http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html that > should help put a few minds to rest. I agree with the comments that the appellation for "simply the next version after 3.9" should be 3....

can't install Python 3.5 on windows
This is a multipart message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D101C9.700A1BE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dear Python: I have been trying to install Python on my Windows computer. I tried both Python 2.7 and 3.5. No luck with either one. If I try to run Python I get a message asking me if I want to repair Python. The program never runs. Can you help? -Jay Brown Jay C. Brown Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology University of Virginia Health System Charlottesville, VA ...

Why won't Python 2/3 compile when I have valgrind installed?
--f46d043c06be1d835a04dd806dda Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 This isn't a huge issue, but I'm wondering. I'm running Mac OS X, I tried to configure with --with-valgrind and this is the error that I got: configure: error: Valgrind support requested but headers not available Now, I have valgrind installed, so it should work, yes? If someone has any extra info on this, I'd appreciate it. --f46d043c06be1d835a04dd806dda Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <div dir=3D"ltr">This is...

Python 3.3 can't sort memoryviews as they're unorderable
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.3.html states "memoryview comparisons now use the logical structure of the operands and compare all array elements by value". So I'd have thought that you should be able to compare them and hence sort them, but this is the state of play. Python 3.3.0 (v3.3.0:bd8afb90ebf2, Sep 29 2012, 10:55:48) [MSC v.1600 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> memoryview(bytearray(range(5))) == memoryview(bytearray(range(5))) True &...

Why is pylaucher in Python 3.3 being installed in Windows folder?
Why is pylauncher in Python 3.3 being installed in Windows folder and not in Program Files folder? Installing into Windows folder was maybe acceptable 10 years ago but not now... On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:13:10 -0700, Piotr Dobrogost wrote: > Why is pylauncher in Python 3.3 being installed in Windows folder and > not in Program Files folder? Installing into Windows folder was maybe > acceptable 10 years ago but not now... Read the PEP: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0397/ -- Steven On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.pyth...

[Python 3.3.0] Getting tkinter to work on Python 3

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.6, Python 3.3.6

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.6rc1, Python 3.3.6rc1

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.5 and Python 3.3.2

I installed Python 3 on Fedora 14 By Downloading python3.2 bziped source tarball and install it according to the README, Now How shall I uninstalled python 3.2?
I installed Python 3 By Downloading python3.2 bziped source tarball and install it according to the README, Now How shall I uninstalled python 3.2? The README instructions are as below Build Instructions ------------------ On Unix, Linux, BSD, OSX, and Cygwin: ./configure make make test sudo make install Varuna Seneviratna wrote: > Now How shall I uninstalled > python 3.2? > Now, how shall I remove Python 3.2 ? .... very carefully. It might be nice if there were a label in the Makefile so this would work: sudo make removeall .... but alas, why do ...

Python 3.3 can't find PySide
Hi everybody, I'm just starting to dabble in Python development after spending years with C# and Java, but there's one small thing holding me back: I can't seem to get PySide working for the life of me. Let me explain: I'm on OS X 10.6.8 and have installed Python 3.3.0 and Qt 4.8.4 with Homebrew. The Python interpreter works fine, and all the Qt utilites are in my $PATH and installed correctly. Homebrew has a package for PySide, but it's only compiled against Python 2.x instead of 3.x (there is an issue about this, https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/1...

[ace-users] ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3)
[Apologies if this shows up twice, there was a mailer error with my first attempt to post] Hi, I found the same problem reported recently on the mailing list ("compiling ACE under Fedora core 3", March 1st) but no resolution was reported there, so I thought I'd post a full description here. ACE VERSION: 5.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: AIX 5.1 ...

Dr. Dobb's Python-URL!
QOTW: "The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a 'standard' application then software written in MS Office VBA must be 'safe.' Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl, Cygwin) are 'unsafe' and can't be installed." - Peter Olsen "There's nothing wrong with open source projects catering to a market, and there's nothing wrong with running open source software on a proprietary operating system." - Steve Holden Efficiently running a regex over a large file: http://groups-bet...

Can't use python plugin in gimp 2.3.3
I compiled gimp - 2.3.3 from source in "/opt/gimp" . But the python plugin can not work, such as [image] -> Filters -> "Drop shadow and bevel" can not work, but the plugin can display. I compiled with ------ $sudo ./configure --prefix=/opt/gimp --disable-print && make && make install ------ debugis: ------ This is a development version of The GIMP. Debug messages may appear here. Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/gimp/lib/gimp/2.0/python/gimpfu.py", line 503, in response dialog.res = run_script(params) File "...

python 3.4 use python-gcm can't import

[ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3)
Hi Tom, > Well, the definition of "production release" for ACE is a bit murky > imho. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-development-process.html for the canonical definition of terms. If there's something unclear there please let me know and I'll fixit. > The developers on this list (almost) always recommend using the > latest package, which is typically labeled a "beta release". Right, the reason we do that is because the "latest release" (which is most commonly a beta release) is the on...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3)
Hi Tom, > > > The "resolution" was to upgrade to ACE-5.4.3 or later, which has > > > code fixes to help with the newer compiler. Not sure how > much would > > > need to change, but you may be able to inspect the differences in > > > that part of the code wrt the newer ACE release to backport the > > > fixes. > > Thanks, I've downloaded and am building. Is ACE-5.4.3 the latest > > production release ? > > Well, the definition of "production release" for ACE is a bit murky > imho. P...

Java won't run on Redhat Enterprise Version 3 update 3
Hi all, I work quite regularly with Java on Linux, and have just installed Redhat Enterprise 3 on a Compaq DL360. It installs fine, then I install the j2sdk 1.4.2_07 rpm, which also seems to have no problems. The thing is, if I try to run java (/usr/java/j2sdk-1.4.2_07/bin/java) nothing happens! The shell locks up, and Control C won't interrupt it. Reinstalled redhat and j2sdk again, exactly the same thing! I've done this a million time before on Redhat 9.0 and 8.0. Has anyone else seen this? C * wrote: > Hi all, > I work quite regularly with Java on Linux, and have just i...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3) #2
Hi J.T., Right... The issue is a bit odd... Here's the check I added for ACE: dnl This check was added to work around a system-supplied header dnl (/usr/include/netinet/ip.h) that won't compile with Visual Age C++ dnl unless the _NO_BITFIELDS preprocessor macro is defined. The comments dnl there recommend use of _NO_BITFIELDS (and recode where needed to allow dnl that), but we won't just turn it on. Check to see if it's needed. Note dnl that this check is related to headers but done before we really know if dnl the header is present. Thus, if the bare compile fa...

Web resources about - IDLE won't run after installing Python 3.3 in Windows - comp.lang.python

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper