Installed python 2.5 over 2.4 and lost installed packages

Hi all,

I recently updated os x from python 2.4 to 2.5 (from python.org) and
in doing so I lost my old python path entries. Python 2.4 was
installed using fink.  Now when I do:

import sys
print sys.path

my old site-packages directory is not within it (the 2.4 one).

So what is the right thing to do in this situation?  It would be a
pain to find and re-install each of the packages.  Is it ok to add my
old site-packages directory to the sys.path?  What is the best way to
do so (e.g. using .pth files or PYTHONPATH or other)?  Is cp'ing the
files from one place to another safe or advisable?

Any help on best practices appreciated.

James.
0
james1642 (13)

On Apr 27, 8:15=A0am, ja...@reggieband.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently updated os x from python 2.4 to 2.5 (from python.org) and
> in doing so I lost my old python path entries. Python 2.4 was
> installed using fink. =A0Now when I do:
>
> import sys
> print sys.path
>
> my old site-packages directory is not within it (the 2.4 one).
>
> So what is the right thing to do in this situation? =A0It would be a
> pain to find and re-install each of the packages. =A0Is it ok to add my
> old site-packages directory to the sys.path? =A0What is the best way to
> do so (e.g. using .pth files or PYTHONPATH or other)? =A0Is cp'ing the
> files from one place to another safe or advisable?
>
> Any help on best practices appreciated.
>
> James.

As long as the Python extensions or packages are pure ones, then
copying them over shouldn't hurt anything. If you have some that have
C/C++ links (such as PIL or pywin32), then you'll need to reinstall
those manually.

Mike
0
kyosohma (1259)
4/27/2008 7:42:34 PM
On Apr 27, 8:42 pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 8:15 am, ja...@reggieband.com wrote:

> > I recently updated os x from python 2.4 to 2.5 (from python.org) and
> > in doing so I lost my old python path entries.

> > So what is the right thing to do in this situation?
> > Is cp'ing the files from one place to another safe or advisable?

> As long as the Python extensions or packages are pure ones, then
> copying them over shouldn't hurt anything. If you have some that have
> C/C++ links (such as PIL or pywin32), then you'll need to reinstall
> those manually.

I tried that and the C extensions burned me.  Syck (for YAML) and
mercurial (I think ... there were  at least 2 problems) posted
warnings or bailed out with errors.  Looks like I will delay until I
have the time and energy to chase all my dependencies.  Perhaps once
my server (Ubuntu) moves to 2.6 I'll update my Mac at the same time.

From now on I am storing my install packages somewhere accessible
instead of deleting them once I'm done with them.  I wish I could
generate a manifest of installed packages to make upgrading easier.

Cheers,
James.
0
james1642 (13)
4/28/2008 7:46:50 PM
On Apr 28, 1:46 pm, ja...@reggieband.com wrote:
> On Apr 27, 8:42 pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 27, 8:15 am, ja...@reggieband.com wrote:
> > > I recently updated os x from python 2.4 to 2.5 (from python.org) and
> > > in doing so I lost my old python path entries.
> > > So what is the right thing to do in this situation?
> > > Is cp'ing the files from one place to another safe or advisable?
> > As long as the Python extensions or packages are pure ones, then
> > copying them over shouldn't hurt anything. If you have some that have
> > C/C++ links (such as PIL or pywin32), then you'll need to reinstall
> > those manually.
>
> I tried that and the C extensions burned me.  Syck (for YAML) and
> mercurial (I think ... there were  at least 2 problems) posted
> warnings or bailed out with errors.  Looks like I will delay until I
> have the time and energy to chase all my dependencies.  Perhaps once
> my server (Ubuntu) moves to 2.6 I'll update my Mac at the same time.
>
> From now on I am storing my install packages somewhere accessible
> instead of deleting them once I'm done with them.  I wish I could
> generate a manifest of installed packages to make upgrading easier.
>
> Cheers,
> James.

If you used Easy Install [1] to install your extra packages, go to
your site-packages directory.  You should find a file called "easy-
install.pth".  All packages that Easy Install provided should be in
there.

[1] Found at: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

  --Jason