Is it possible to create "network conneciton" on windows system?

Hello,

one of my PC is window system, and in "control panel -> Network
Connections", I can see some network connections such as PPPOE or VPN
which I created by click "create a new connection".

My question is, is it possible to create a new connection by using
Python script? which means I do not want to use Window UI (via
"control panel"),  if it is possible, I can save so many time to
create various network connection when I want to do testing in the
lab.

Thanks very much.
Evan
0
xdicry (35)

Evan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> one of my PC is window system, and in "control panel -> Network
> Connections", I can see some network connections such as PPPOE or VPN
> which I created by click "create a new connection".
>
> My question is, is it possible to create a new connection by using
> Python script? which means I do not want to use Window UI (via
> "control panel"),  if it is possible, I can save so many time to
> create various network connection when I want to do testing in the
> lab.
>
> Thanks very much.
> Evan

It is very likely that it is possible to do this.  Most control panel
applications store the results of their GUI setup in the registry.  If you can
determine what registry keys have been added/changed.  Here is an open source
registry compare utility that might help:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot

You can then use the _winreg module to make such changes on a new machine.

HTH,
Larry
0
larry.bates (889)
7/14/2008 10:22:50 PM
On Jul 15, 6:22 am, Larry Bates <larry.ba...@websafe.com`> wrote:
> Evan wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > one of my PC is window system, and in "control panel ->Network
> >Connections", I can see somenetworkconnectionssuch as PPPOE or VPN
> > which I created by click "create a new connection".
>
> > My question is, is it possible to create a new connection by using
> > Python script? which means I do not want to use Window UI (via
> > "control panel"),  if it is possible, I can save so many time to
> > create variousnetworkconnection when I want to do testing in the
> > lab.
>
> > Thanks very much.
> > Evan
>
> It is very likely that it is possible to do this.  Most control panel
> applications store the results of their GUI setup in the registry.  If you can
> determine what registry keys have been added/changed.  Here is an open source
> registry compare utility that might help:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot
>
> You can then use the _winreg module to make such changes on a new machine.
>
> HTH,
> Larry

Thanks Larry,

The thing is, if I change the registry, I have to reboot the PC for
applying new configuration of system. Any idea to apply the changing
without reboot after modify registry?

Thanks,
0
xdicry (35)
7/15/2008 1:00:22 AM
Evan wrote:
> On Jul 15, 6:22 am, Larry Bates <larry.ba...@websafe.com`> wrote:
>> Evan wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> one of my PC is window system, and in "control panel ->Network
>>> Connections", I can see somenetworkconnectionssuch as PPPOE or VPN
>>> which I created by click "create a new connection".
>>> My question is, is it possible to create a new connection by using
>>> Python script? which means I do not want to use Window UI (via
>>> "control panel"),  if it is possible, I can save so many time to
>>> create variousnetworkconnection when I want to do testing in the
>>> lab.
>>> Thanks very much.
>>> Evan
>> It is very likely that it is possible to do this.  Most control panel
>> applications store the results of their GUI setup in the registry.  If you can
>> determine what registry keys have been added/changed.  Here is an open source
>> registry compare utility that might help:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot
>>
>> You can then use the _winreg module to make such changes on a new machine.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Larry
>

> Thanks Larry,
>
> The thing is, if I change the registry, I have to reboot the PC for
> applying new configuration of system. Any idea to apply the changing
> without reboot after modify registry?
>
> Thanks,

Not necessarily.  You can change the registry on-the-fly and any programs that
aren't running at the time will pick up the changes when they are run.  If you
can "Create a new connection" and have it work without rebooting, you can do it
via the registry/Python in exactly the same way.

-Larry
0
larry.bates (889)