Permission denied when opening a file that was created concurrently by os.rename (Windows)

Hello!

I've hit a strange problem that I reduced to the following test case:
* Run several python processes in parallel that spin in the following
loop:
while True:
   if os.path.isfile(fname):
     with open(fname, 'rb') as f:
       f.read()
     break
* Then, run another process that creates a temporary file and then
renames it to the name than other processes are expecting
* Now, some of the reading processes occasionally fail with "Permission
denied" OSError

I was able to reproduce it on two Windows 7 64-bit machines. It seems
when the file appears on the filesystem it is still unavailable to
reading, but I have no idea how it can happen. Both source and
destination files are in the same directory, and the destination doesn't
exist before calling os.rename. Everything I could find indicates that
os.rename should be atomic under this conditions even on Windows, so
nobody should be able to observe the destination in unaccessible state.

I know that I can workaround this problem by removing useless
os.path.isfile() check and wrapping open() with try-except, but I'd like
to know the root cause of the problem. Please share you thoughts.

The test case is attached, the main file is test.bat. Python is
expected to be in PATH. Stderr of readers is redirected to *.log. You
may need to run several times to hit the issue.

Alexey Izbyshev,
research assistant,
ISP RAS

0
Alexey

While extracting a llb file Open/Create/Replace File.vi Windows renamed the VI.
Hi All, We ...

While extracting a llb file Open/Create/Replace File.vi Windows renamed the VI. #2
Hi All,   While we extracted an LLB file which contains Open/Create/Replace File.vi LabVIEW asked to rename the VI. As it is NI's VI it is difficult for us to rename the same. Is there any solution avialable to overcome this issue.   Note:  We are using WindowsXP with LabVIEW 7.0(ENG) evaluation version.           Our LLB file was created using LabVIEW 6.1(Jap)   Thanks in AdvanceMessage Edited by Aneesh on 09-02-2005 02:23 AM Before you submit post please use preview pos...

Renaming OS files by file type in python
Hi all, I am creating a program that renames all files of the similar file type. But i am stuck at this part. I tried running this code and I got this error: new_name = os.rename(path, newpath) WindowsError: [Error 183] Cannot create a file when that file already exists. Hope you guys could help. import os directory = raw_input("Please input file directory. \n\n") s = raw_input("Please input a name to replace. \n\n") ext = raw_input("input file ext") for filename in listdir(directory): if ext in filename: path = join(directory...

BIND 9.5.0 on Windows 2000 unable to rename log file...permission denied
A very strange thing happened after upgrading from BIND 8.4.6 to 9.5.0. We created the "named" user as a service account as required by BIND9, then granted full control on everything in the BIND directory (d:\bind) to this user, however the named service failed to start due to: > Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion There are a bunch of "unable to rename log file...permission denied" errors in the Windows Event Log, the exact error messages read: > unable to rename log file '..\\logs\\name...

Re: BIND 9.5.0 on Windows 2000 unable to rename log file...permission denied
In message <48D1CF1D.80908@people.net.au>, "atomic@people.net.au" writes: > Danny Mayer wrote: > > atomic@people.net.au wrote: > > > >> A very strange thing happened after upgrading from BIND 8.4.6 to 9.5.0. > >> We created the "named" user as a service account as required by BIND9, > >> then granted full control on everything in the BIND directory (d:\bind) > >> to this user, however the named service failed to start due to: > >> > >> > Error 1053: The service did not respond to...

Create a file handler to allow more permission checking on files open?
Hi, Is there a way to (with the win32 api) create a file handler which will detect when a user is attempting to open a file and then write some code to do some business rule checks and set the files permissions and then continue with the opening process? I know that I can use HTTP file handlers in .net but this is only for a web site I want this to be for all files... anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Scott <scott.pyke@midware.com.au> wrote in message news:1106012854.411022.312280@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is there a way to (with the win32 api...

Python 3.4.1 install does not create a file association for .py files on Windows
I install Python 3.4.1 64-bit on Windows. After the install I type: assoc .py and I get back: File association not found for extension .py Why does not the Python install to associate extension .py with the Python Launcher for Windows ? On 8/5/2014 3:36 PM, Edward Diener wrote: > I install Python 3.4.1 64-bit on Windows. After the install I type: I have done the same, on Win 7, but I had previous installs going back 3 years on this machine. > assoc .py > > and I get back: > > File association not found for extension .py I get C:\Users\Terry>...

Renaming file
Hi. I have a script that recurses through a directory tree looking for OTF fonts. When it finds one it extracts the postscript name and if the filename is different then it attempts to rename the font file. However, it doesn't rename the file and returns permission denied. Strangely though, if I try the rename command stand-alone, ie: outside of the loop where it runs through the files in the directory, it works. I'm clutching at straws a bit here but is there some issue with renaming files in a directory which is currently subject to the opendir command, or is it something else enti...

Renaming file
Hi. I have a script that recurses through a directory tree looking for OTF fonts. When it finds one it extracts the postscript name and if the filename is different then it attempts to rename the font file. However, it doesn't rename the file and returns permission denied. Strangely though, if I try the rename command stand-alone, ie: outside of the loop where it runs through the files in the directory, it works. I'm clutching at straws a bit here but is there some issue with renaming files in a directory which is currently subject to the opendir command, or is it something el...

How to open a logical partition and read all of its file using windows function ReadFile() ? Question How to open a logical partition and read all of its file using windows function ReadFile() ?
Hii In my application , wanna copy all files from one partition to another partition. First I copied a file that I taken default and copied to another partition. The above operation is done by using the control code "FSCTL_GET_RETRIEVAL_POINTERS". The clusters used are read and wrote into destination volume using readfile() and writefile() windows functions. Now I gotta copy all files..... So how to proceed ....?? Thanking you. On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:37:42 -0700 (PDT), krish <krishnampkkm@gmail.com> wrote: >Hii > >In my applicatio...

Newbie
I am attempting to open a directory, open each file and send each line of the file to a network host. I can get the code to work for a single file, but the script fails with a "permission denied" error when I attempt to do this for each file in a directory. *****CODE***** IPADDR= "some ip address" OUTPORT = "some ip port" INDIR = "some directory" dir = Dir.open(INDIR) dir.each do |f| file = File.open(f,"r") streamSock = TCPSocket::new(IPADDR,OUTPORT) while(line = file.gets) streamSock.send(line,0) end streamSock.close file.close end *****END C...

saving file permission denied on windows
I'm making a small program which takes a folder with images and generates optimized normal-sized images and thumbnails using Python Imaging Lbrary (PIL). The problem is here: ..... os.mkdir(self.output) ..... img = Image.open(os.path.join(self.dir,file)) img = img.resize(self.imgSize) # and here comes the error img.save(self.output, "JPEG", optimize=1) IOError: [Errno 13] Permission Denied "D:\\Szymek\\python\\pythumb\\images\\proba" I don't know what's going on, I didn't have any problems with it in the past. I tried to save it to a pre-made directory but...

Opening a file in Python using windows.
On 3 Dec 2004 08:38:37 -0800, ed <ed_tsang@yahoo.com> wrote: > I do have permission toa ccess the file as that file is careted and read my me. > I have read/write access to that location. regards That shouldn't be really hard. :) okay imagine you have a file called test.txt in C:\Python24\ now go to the IDLE prompt if you have one or just use Python prompt. I am assuming you know what they are & how to do them. :) If you don't then go read some books. :) There are two basic in-built operations to open a file. The first one is open & the the obvious other one is ...

Gui having an 'open file window' and a 'save file window'
Is it possible to click on a button in the gui and have a Windows-like window where I can select the file to open and another like when you click on 'save as'? Thank you very much nathaniel zoso wrote: > Is it possible to click on a button in the gui and have a > Windows-like window where I can select the file to open and another > like when you click on 'save as'? > > Thank you very much Check out the UIGETFILE and UIPUTFILE functions, respectively. -SteveSimon ...

Web resources about - Permission denied when opening a file that was created concurrently by os.rename (Windows) - comp.lang.python

Rumor: Apple to launch three new iPhones concurrently: '6s,' '6s Plus' and '6c'
While a new "iPhone 6s" series is widely expected to be unveiled next month, rumors of a so-called "iPhone 6c" have been less certain. But one ...

Report: Ford to build next F-150, outgoing model concurrently?
... with a design inspired by the Atlas Concept first shown at the Detroit Auto Show last January. Ford to build next F-150, outgoing model concurrently? ...

Concurrently process for maximum productivity
... enjoyed this, please share it with your network! Want to read more like this from Christopher Penn ? Get daily updates now: The post Concurrently ...

Itagaki talks developing Devil's Third campaign and multiplayer concurrently
Speaking to Famitsu, Tomonobu Itagaki provided some updates on Devil's Third , which is in a really odd spot with Nintendo right now. He notes ...

NLT naked-eye display can show 3D, 2D images concurrently
NEC LCD Technologies (NLT) has demonstrated a new prototype display that has six viewpoints and creates a 3D image to the naked eye. It uses ...

Microsoft patent filing attempts to lock down games with multiple engines running concurrently
... from the output of the first engine of the game to an output of a second engine of the game, the first and second engines being executed concurrently ...

Obamacare Website Official Says 50,000 Can Use Site Concurrently, 800,000 a day
While acknowledging “more work to be done to continue to improve and enhance” the troubled healthcare.gov website, the Obama administration said ...

iPhone SDK Limitation: Only One User-Made App Running Concurrently, No Background Processes
The enthusiastic high-fives of future iPhone instant messaging users yesterday might be quite a bit less enthusiastic today when they find out ...

Simili-DoS from Google Bot (from dozens of legitimate IPs, concurrently). - Google Product Forums
I have read the FAQs and checked for similar issues: YES My site's URL is: http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com Description (including timeline ...

Courteney Cox, David Arquette File Concurrently for Divorce
The actress seeks to restore her name to Courteney Cox, as well as joint custody of the couple's 8-year-old daughter.