Python 2.6.7 release candidate 2 now available

--Sig_/U+ROXOmkdHpd4_TloOVnfAO

Hello to all you Pythoneers and Pythonistas,

I'm happy to announce the availability of Python 2.6.7 release candidate 2.
Release candidate 1 was not widely announced due to a mismatch between the
Mercurial and Subversion branches.  Barring any unforeseen issues, this will
be the last release candidate before 2.6.7 final, which is currently schedu=
led
for June 3, 2011.

As previously announced, Python 2.6 is in security-fix only mode.  This mea=
ns
that general bug fix maintenance has ended, and only critical security fixes
are supported.  We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
October 2013.  Also, this is a source-only release; no installers for Windo=
ws
or Mac OS X will be provided.

Please download and test this release candidate.

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/

The NEWS file contains a list of changes since 2.6.6.

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/NEWS.txt

Many thanks go out to the entire Python community for their contributions
great and small.

Enjoy,
-Barry
(on behalf of the Python development community)

--Sig_/U+ROXOmkdHpd4_TloOVnfAO

--Sig_/U+ROXOmkdHpd4_TloOVnfAO--
0
barry1065 (72)

Barry Warsaw wrote:
>   We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
> October 2013.

Where can I read about the criteria for security-fix only?

Who decides whether the security fix is critical?

thanks,
kind regards,
m harris

0
harrismh777 (202)
5/21/2011 4:26:17 AM
In article <I9HBp.13322$oq.10754@newsfe17.iad>,
 harrismh777 <harrismh777@charter.net> wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> >   We will support Python 2.6 in security-fix only mode until
> > October 2013.
> Where can I read about the criteria for security-fix only?

You can read about the Python development cycle and security branches in
the Python Developer's Guide:

   http://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html#security-branches

> Who decides whether the security fix is critical?

Anyone can propose a security fix but the final decision is up to the
release manager in charge of the branch.  For 2.6.x, that is Barry.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad@acm.org

0