Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?

I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
public awareness of Python.

The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
enough.  An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
interesting situations and adventures.  (At the very least, he has to
be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!)  Good examples can be found
in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's
Tux.

So a snake is out.

So are Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons for the Flying Circus.
While wonderful, I just don't think they lend themselves to
mascot-hood.

With the snake and the  flying circus eliminated, we haven't got much
left.  Clearly, it is time to think out of the box.

In that spirit, I propose the development of a figure representing
Python -- the Pythoneer.

He'd be loosley based on Dave Stevens' Rocketeer (which became the
Disney movie, "The Rocketeer")  and/or on the Rocketman figure of the
old Republic serials -- Commando Cody, King of the Rocketmen, and so
on.  But he'd have a big "P" on his chest, like Guido has in the
second picture on http://www.python.org/~guido/pics.html

With a helmet, the Pythoneer's features are simplified enough to lend
themselves to small images, cartoons, and even (in the hands of
skilled artists) the expression of emotions.  The rocket pack suggests
the power of Python and the power that Python gives to developers. See
for example http://goldenscore.free.fr/images/rocketeer.jpg

The rocket pack also offers a useful means for getting/putting the
Pythoneer into interesting situations and adventures.

At first I liked the idea of a Pythoneer modelled on Dave Stevens'
Rocketeer, but after thinking about what I assume is a copyright on
the Rocketeer figure -- and also thinking that the riding pants get a
bit old after a while -- I have warmed to the clunky charms of the
original Rocketman figure with his bullet-like helmet.

So now the idea/proposal has been thrown into the comp.lang.python
arena.  Is the idea for a Python mascot a good one, or a stupid one?
Is the idea of a Pythoneer a good one?  Or are there  other, better,
Python mascots just waiting to emerge?

-- Steve Ferg

Here are some reference materials

The Rocketeer
-------------
http://home.mindspring.com/~graphic_illusion/rocket.jpg
http://www.filmwise.com/visual/cutout_03/image_02a.jpg

The Rocketman
-------------
http://www.superherophotos.net/serials/cc.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/3622/ccsmou.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/3622/moreimages.htm
http://users.erols.com/cdmalin/CommCody.jpg

The Rocketeer and Rocketman
---------------------------

(This page proves that Jennifer Connelly would also make a great
Python mascot... I'm sure her presence would boost attendance at the
IPCs.)
http://www.superherophotos.net/serials/rocket.htm

http://www.rocketmania.com/images/two%20rockets.jpg

Tux
-----------------------

Finally,here are some things that have been done with Tux.

The original drawing by Larry Ewing:
http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/

Collections of Tuxes:
http://www.linux.org/info/logos.html
http://tunes.org/~do/penguindex.html
0
steve4269 (94)

On 28 Sep 2003 18:37:37 -0700, rumours say that steve@ferg.org (Stephen
Ferg) might have written:

>(This page proves that Jennifer Connelly would also make a great
>Python mascot... I'm sure her presence would boost attendance at the
>IPCs.)

It would also lower comprehension of what the funny person at the podium
says and doesn't let attendants apprehend Jennifer's presence...

--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix
Stephen Ferg wrote:

> The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
> enough.

 > An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
> arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
> interesting situations and adventures.

Leave Odi alone!  I've grown pretty fond of him.  Besides, it's
not as if that prozacced-out Tux has ever moved his paralyzed
feet and arms/wings.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:33:21 +0800, "Jonathan P."
<jbperez808@spamless.com> wrote:

>Stephen Ferg wrote:
>
>> The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
>> enough.
>
> > An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
>> arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
>> interesting situations and adventures.
>
>Leave Odi alone!  I've grown pretty fond of him.  Besides, it's
>not as if that prozacced-out Tux has ever moved his paralyzed
>feet and arms/wings.

Well I don't have time right now to scan in some of their ads, but the
German Bytec GmbH uses Tux quite a lot there, though a quick search
only reveals one meager example on the web:
http://www.bytec.de/gbl/index_de.html

Eppur si muove!

--
Christopher
0

> I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
> public awareness of Python.
>
> The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
> enough.  An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
> arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
> interesting situations and adventures.  (At the very least, he has to
> be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!)  Good examples can be found
> in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's
> Tux.
>
> So a snake is out.

        You've never seen an old down-under strip of the simple name "Snake",
have you <G> Granted, Snake is usually on the receiving end of the
damages -- even "Lady Snake" doesn't like him (and how a snake with
Dolly Parton appendages moves over the ground I don't want to consider).

 >   wlfraed@ix.netcom.com  | Wulfraed  Dennis Lee Bieber  KD6MOG <
 >      wulfraed@dm.net     |       Bestiaria Support Staff       <
 >        Bestiaria Home Page: http://www.beastie.dm.net/         <
 >            Home Page: http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/             <

0
wlfraed (4596)
10/18/2003 2:41:45 AM

> > The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
> > enough.  > >
> > So a snake is out.
>
>         You've never seen an old down-under strip of the simple name
"Snake",
> have you <G> Granted, Snake is usually on the receiving end of the
> damages -- even "Lady Snake" doesn't like him (and how a snake with
> Dolly Parton appendages moves over the ground I don't want to consider).
>
> --
I have a book of the "Snake" cartoons somewhere. Does he have a website?

The Python mascot could be non-sexist, too. Think "her" instead of "him".
(Nothing like some mammalian protruberances to anthropomorphise a beastie) -
Lady Snake, but more voluptuous, and possessing udders that twin calves
could live off?

Surely there must be a way of using such appendages to operate keyboards and
mice? (Maybe some of the female contributors could do such an experiment for
a laugh).

Sorry. Lady Snake just brings out the old letch within ...