Re: pymozilla ([Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1) - custom Py_Initialize())

[Brad Clements wrote]
>I'd like to find out more about pymozilla.. It sounds very interesting

pymozilla is is a proprietary application so I can't share the code.
It's a modified python.exe with builtin Browser module - Python wrapped
Gecko engine.
Custom nsIProtocolHandler and zip-file-system Python module is used to get
and load files(html,xml,css,images,Python code) from zip
and to resolve and process all ".py" links and html forms. It's pretty like
CGI, but no server is required.
The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without
installing anything (Mozilla/Python)

Wiktor

0
art2042 (3)

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski"
<art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote:

>The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without
>installing anything (Mozilla/Python)

I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite.

--
JZ
0
JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski"
> <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote:
>
> >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without
> >installing anything (Mozilla/Python)
>
> I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite.

What's the problem?  Does Python not like having nowhere to save .pyc
files?

John
0
jjl (1300)
12/19/2003 1:58:59 PM
"John J. Lee" wrote:

> JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski"
> > <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote:
> >
> > >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without
> > >installing anything (Mozilla/Python)
> >
> > I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite.
>
> What's the problem?  Does Python not like having nowhere to save .pyc
> files?

Python has no problem with that.  We frequently run code from a CompactFlash
module with a read-only Linux partition, without .pyc files being written
and with no related issues.

-Peter
0
peter34 (3696)
12/23/2003 4:09:41 PM
jjl@pobox.com (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<87fzfgoqn0.fsf@pobox.com>...
> JZ <jroznfgre@jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:30:53 +0100, "Wiktor Sadowski"
> > <art@wiktorsadowski.com> wrote:
> >
> > >The main problem was to have it run from CD (client requirement) without
> > >installing anything (Mozilla/Python)
> >
> > I had the same problem. I solved it using Webware and SQLite.
>
> What's the problem?  Does Python not like having nowhere to save .pyc
> files?

I guess it has something to do with the OCX like component
architecture of modzilla. OCX must register the components in the
registry - thats why we only buy pure DLL windows components (aka
libraries).
0
llothar (601)

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation...

[RELEASED] Release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're pleased to announce the immediate availability of release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3 . The main impetus for these releases is fixing a security issue in Python's hash based types, dict and set, as described below. Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 include the security patch and the normal set of bug fixes. Since Python 2.6 and 3.1 are maintained only for security issues, 2.6.8 and 3.1.5 contain only various security patches. The security issue exploits Python's dict and set implementations. Carefully crafted input can lead to extremely long computation times a...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these releases is fi...

[RELEASED] Second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3
We're chuffed to announce the immediate availability of the second release candidates for Python 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3. The only change from the first release candidates is the patching of an additional security hole. The security issue fixed in the second release candidates is in the expat XML parsing library. expat had the same hash security issue detailed below as Python's core types. The hashing algorithm used in the expat library is now randomized. A more thorough explanation of the "hash attack" security hole follows. The main impetus for these rele...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #3
""" What gives you the right to say this? *I'm offended.* Speaking of moral and ethics, there seem to be other things to care about, especially these days. Thomas """ Ok, so perhaps "moral" and "ethical" is slightly strong. Sheesh. Levity. Point being, if the developers of Python (and Perl and .... so on) spent = so much time and energy creating something cross platform, it should be = used thusly. I'm not saying it's "evil" not to do so, I'm saying that if = you NEED platform-specific tools (which, let's be h...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.4 rc 1 and Python 3.3.1 rc 1

RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
--==_Exmh_1079726856P Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.3 is a bug-fix release of Python 2.3. A couple of serious bugs related to weakrefs and the cyclic garbage collector have been fixed, along with a number of bugs in the standard library. See the release notes on the web page for more details. For more information on Python 2.3.3c1, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see ...

RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1)
--==_Exmh_1079726856P Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.3 is a bug-fix release of Python 2.3. A couple of serious bugs related to weakrefs and the cyclic garbage collector have been fixed, along with a number of bugs in the standard library. See the release notes on the web page for more details. For more information on Python 2.3.3c1, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.5 and Python 3.3.2

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.5 and Python 3.3.2

Problem installing matplotlib 1.3.1 with Python 2.7.6 and 3.3.3 (release candidate 1)
Hello, I tried to install matplotlib 1.3.1 on the release candidates of Python 2.7.6 and 3.3.3. I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Although the installation gave no problems, there is a problem with Tcl/Tk. The new Pythons have their own embedded Tcl/Tk, but when installing matplotlib it links to the Frameworks version of Tcl and TK, not to the embedded version. This causes confusion when importing matplotlib.pyplot: objc[70648]: Class TKApplication is implemented in both /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/libtk8.5.dylib and /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk....

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1 #2
> >WINDOWS >... Windows users may also be >interested in Mark Hammond's win32all, a collection of >Windows-specific extensions including COM support and Pythonwin, an >IDE built using Windows components. > PS... I have moral and ethical arguments against this. I believe it's = just plain WRONG to use a language like Python or Java or even C#/.NET = and RELY on platform specific "extensions". If it ain't cross platform, then it's VB. $.02/MHO Hornberger, Chris wrote: >>WINDOWS >>... Windows users may also be >>interested in ...

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 1

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 2

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 1

[RELEASED] Python 3.3.3 release candidate 2

[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3 release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team, I'm gladsome to announce a release candidate of the third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3. This bug fix release fixes numerous issues found in 3.1.2. Please try it with your packages and report any bugs you find. The final of 3.1.3 is scheduled to be released in two weeks. The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode strings ...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1
> >I wonder why the Linux installation needs to be more tedious than the >Windows counterpart. The problem is of course not specific to Python. >There are many Linux distributions, running on different kernels, but >maybe binaries that have been tested on the "major" distributions like >Debian, Red Hat / Fedora, SUSE, and Mandrake could be created. Compare >the instructions: > Welcome to an open platform. It all boils down to money and what the = "open source movement" is really about. On the money front, no = organization is going to step up and tr...

RE: RELEASED Python 2.4.3, release candidate 1
Fredrik Lundh wrote: > (and there was never 96 real errors in the code base, of course; > coverity is a remarkable tool, but there's plenty of room for > mistakes when used on a code base this large) Yep - from the discussions on python-dev, a lot of the "error-fixing" was telling Coverity what things it could safely ignore ;) However, there were definitely things found that were real bugs, and subsequently fixed. It also provoked at least one discussion where the code was iffy, it was entirely understandable that it was flagged, and with some reworking it would becom...

RELEASED Python 2.3.2, release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1. Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.3.2 will follow later this week. For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see: http://www.python.org/2.3.2 Highlights of this new release include: - A bug in autoconf that broke buildin...

RELEASED Python 2.3.2, release candidate 1
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.3.2 (release candidate 1). Python 2.3.2 is a bug-fix release, to repair a couple of build problems and packaging errors in Python 2.3.1. Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.3.2 will follow later this week. For more information on Python 2.3.2, including download links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see: http://www.python.org/2.3.2 Highlights of this new release include: - A bug in autoconf tha...

[RELEASED] Python 3.2.6, Python 3.3.6

Web resources about - Re: pymozilla ([Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3.3 (release candidate 1) - custom Py_Initialize()) - comp.lang.python